• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack at Charlie Hebdo magazine. 12 dead. 11 wounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.
this is what usually destroys any extremism in modern societies: when they, to blindly and irrationally fulfill their ideals, go so far to kill or harm the people they should "fight" for they lose support they may have built.

I hope the poor policeman death would take many extremist back to earth, showing them the horror of their ideology and goals.

The majority of Islamic Extremist violence has always been directed at Muslims. Something that even Osama bin Laden expressed concern and frustration with.

Sadly, the well of religious fundamentalism has no bottom.

Yeah but your 18 year old self wouldn't have gotten involved in a terrorist plot.

Blows my mind. I guess trying to figure it out is futile.
Of course. I'd like to find out more of his upbringing and what he was exposed to growing up.

He still deserves the noose, mind you. I am commenting on why he may have surrendered.

lefantome

Responses from US Muslim leaders. One of the most prominent US Sheikhs and Islamic leader (Hamza Yusuf)

Equally prominent scholar Yasir Qadhi

8h0BDHI.png

Great but I've read on wikipedia about armed conflicts. Can you explain?

All this "kid" talk, heck the US criminal justice system has no problem trying kids as adults for lesser crimes.

I don't think anyone is making the argument for him getting off easy. Rather just people saying, at least that's what I'm saying, that it isn't that surprising he would turn himself over when shit really started hitting the fan.

Alucrid

Banned
yep, avoided the video of that officer being shot until now because someone cared to post a shitty tin foil hat theory their friend has without a warning. thanks guy.

lefantome

The majority of Islamic Extremist violence has always been directed at Muslims. Something that even Osama bin Laden expressed concern and frustration with.

Sadly, the well of religious fundamentalism has no bottom.

Yeah I know muslim/people who live in muslim countries are the biggest victims of extremism, by far.

The death of the poor policeman won't have any effect on them but it may harm integralism in europe, us and other democratic countries with fundamentalists

esms

As an American, I would like to take a second and tell everyone in this thread who is French or Parisian just how admirable your response to this heinous act is. It is incredible to see a nation generate such positivity and solidarity not just within France, but throughout EU member states, from such a negative event.

And, as an American, I implore you not to make the same mistakes that we have (post-9/11). Never give up on the ideal of a free society, one that is free from both terrorist agents and authoritarian governments.

Much respect to you guys.

Renekton

I think it's very good that we showed the terrorists they are isolated in their madness and that we will not put up with their shit.
How isolated are they actually I wonder?

I live in a Muslim country and it feels like their reaction towards this type of events (including 9/11) is usually "these Westerners deserve it" amongst themselves.

(no statistical proof, just the vibe)

Responses from US Muslim leaders. One of the most prominent US Sheikhs and Islamic leader (Hamza Yusuf)

qVQ08c5.png

8h0BDHI.png

I dont mean to be so stubborn, but I think the second guy should not even be supporting the idea of death for blasphemy through a "trial".

The whole concept is a farce, but he seems to be upholding the idea of a careful, lawful trial, as if blasphemy should or could ever be grounds for death. I imagine that there are some people who support a blasphemy punishment by law, while denouncing the violence of today's events.

I hope the very concept of blasphemy laws is denounced altogether.

Tetsuo9

To some extent, I DO believe that Islam as a faith and doctrine plays a fault in the extremism. Just the fact that there is definitive room in the teachings of Mohammad advocating violence, means that there is something fundamentally wrong with the ideology. At some point you can't blame extremism/fundamentalism because there are simply too many examples of non-violent extremism/fundamentalism.

What I'm saying is, just the mere presence of violence in a religious text enables negative extremism. This is true for Christianity and Judaism as well (though it's toned down in the last millenium...).
As a christian in my youth, the violence described in a lot of parts of the old testament bothered me to the point that I just wasn't buying the explanations and interpretations that I was getting from my teachers. I felt a strong disconect between what was written and what was being taught.

Let's say the catholic church and other religions leave some violent passages out of their holy books, that will not stop some people to just going to the original books anyway.

I dont mean to be so stubborn, but I think the second guy should not even be supporting the idea of death for blasphemy through a "trial".

The whole concept is a farce.

I do find it chilling that the "moderate" voice calling for calm still thinks that people should die for insulting his choice in religions, just after a "trial".

Sinfamy

The comments I've been seeing all over YouTube and in the comment sections of various websites are just mindbogglingly appalling.
Do these people say these things outside of the internet?

This type of attack is my biggest fear. I'm worried the "next 9/11" in the states won't be a bomb or plane hijack, but a string of gunfire.

Said it before, but I can't believe this hasn't happened yet.

And WOW at the things I've overheard in conversations at work. I can't even imagine the daily profiling Muslims go through.

DTKT

qVQ08c5.png

8h0BDHI.png

The fact that he can still mention that blasphemy could be punishable by death after a trial is just obscene.

What a joke.

The whole concept is a farce, but he seems to be upholding the idea of a careful, lawful trial, as if blasphemy should or could ever be grounds for death. I imagine that there are some people who support a blasphemy punishment by law, while denouncing the violence of today's events.

I think his intent is kind of saying, even with your ridiculous ideas, you're wrong. I don't think he actually believes that. Hence the "even those". to believe he believes in punishment for blasphome is to ignore the first half of his post and his clear sentiment expressed in its closing.

He's playing devil's advocate and still can't find a reason for their actions.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
I do find it chilling that the "moderate" voice calling for calm still thinks that people should die for insulting his choice in religions, just after a "trial".

He does say "Those who believe that" though. It also hit me hard until I re-read that carefully.

PirateKing

I saw this on 4chan earlier. Politely speaking, your friend needs help if he believes that
I'm assuming you also read those awful threads too?

Yeah that's what I thought as well. I've always wondered why the phrase "Only God Can Judge Me" was said often among Muslims countries yet death penalty was wildly accepted and acted by humans.

As an American, I would like to take a second and tell everyone in this thread who is French or Parisian just how admirable your response to this heinous act is. It is incredible to see a nation generate such positivity and solidarity not just within France, but throughout EU member states, from such a negative event.

And, as an American, I implore you not to make the same mistakes that we have (post-9/11). Never give up on the ideal of a free society, one that is free from both terrorist agents and authoritarian governments.

Much respect to you guys.

The irony is that the attack risks ending up with political measures that Charlie Hebdo would NEVER have approved

This type of attack is my biggest fear. I'm worried the "next 9/11" in the states won't be a bomb or plane hijack, but a string of gunfire.

I'll take a even a tank attack over another 9/11. 12 deaths is a tragedy, 2,700+ is... I don't even know what to say. I just don't want another one, over any circumstances.

And WOW at the things I've overheard in conversations at work. I can't even imagine the daily profiling Muslims go through.

Gaf is pretty progressive and tolerant and I've heard odd things so in normal work settings it's even more apparent

Dead Man

The fact that he can still mention that blasphemy could be punishable by death after a trial is just obscene.

What a joke.

The point he is making is that even if you think the punishment should be death, this ain't the way. He is heading off defences of the murders by people who will claim the sentence for the cartoonists actions is death.

'Even for those who believe' sort of suggests he doesn't think that, and suggesting blasphemy could be punished by death is just the way the world is in some places.

it happened in Mumbai in 2008. 10 gunmen, 4 major targets (two hotels, one cafe, one jewish house) and it left 170 people dead and 700 people injured. to create mass confusion, they also left time bombs in the taxis they took to reach their targets

India has actually suffered from a bunch of similar attacks in the last 15 years or so

That is the beauty of free speech, if something is offensive and terrible you can scream about it and make yourself heard.

We can get angry, we can get passionate about this, you can be completely wrong too, but losing lives is simply unacceptable.

Yeah, which is why those people holding "Behead those who insult Islam" signs are crossing the line.

My friend thinks this is a false flag because of this video

Every single time any newsworthy tragedy occurs, someone claims that it was orchestrated by a shadowy conspiracy behind the scenes. Without fail.

Jintor

I think his intent is kind of saying, even with your ridiculous ideas, you're wrong. I don't think he actually believes that. Hence the "even those". to believe he believes in punishment for blasphome is to ignore the first half of his post and his clear sentiment expressed in its closing.

He's playing devil's advocate and still can't find a reason for their actions.

I agree with this interpretation

esms

The irony is that the attack risks ending up with political measures that Charlie Hebdo would NEVER have approved

I have no doubt you and your countrymen will preserve your liberty while condemning the attacks and taking any appropriate action. Be wary of those in your government that will rush to judgement and demand rash, immediate action. I have faith in the French citizenry. You will do the right thing.

The point he is making is that even if you think the punishment should be death, this ain't the way. He is heading off defences of the murders by people who will claim the sentence for the cartoonists actions is death.

'Even for those who believe' sort of suggests he doesn't think that, and suggesting blasphemy could be punished by death is just the way the world is in some places.

Its not even sort of. Its a complete detachment from those that hold that view. You never use the word, even, to talk about those you agree with its use as an adverb is: "used to emphasize something surprising or extreme.".

Its like when those on gaf use the 'even ronald reagan' or 'even george w bush' and explain why right wingers are more crazy than them. They're not expressing support of reagan or those people.

Anjelus_

With respect to condemnation from Muslim communities, I once read this book during my undergraduate:

Fatwa on Terrorism and Suicide Bombings: Muhammad Tahir-ul-Qadri

The author is an extremely well regarded Islamic scholar from Pakistan. He goes through the entire Koran and prophetic traditions illuminating precisely why terrorism and events like what happened in Paris are absolutely anti-Muslim. He even goes as far as to declare that those who perpetrate them are crazy heretics that have plagued the religion for centuries.

It's a good resource if you're ever looking to counter an argument from someone discriminating against Muslims or claiming that they haven't done enough to condemn these attacks. The State Department was a big fan when it was released in 2010.

Dead Man

Its not even sort of. Its a complete detachment from those that hold that view. You never use the word, even, to talk about those you agree with.

Its like when those on gaf use the 'even ronald reagan' or 'even george w bush' and explain why right wingers are more crazy than them. They're not expressing support of reagan or those people.

Yes, I was using understatement to try and be gentle :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom