• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack at Charlie Hebdo magazine. 12 dead. 11 wounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Odah

Banned
Can I blend out the woman on the BBC livestream somehow? I get it, it's for people who can't hear but for me she's distracting as fuck

Guy.brush

The "we don't shoot civilians" quote is disturbing.
We had an Iman giving an Interview in Germany where he also said something akin to:
"Islam is the religion of peace. Civilians are not allowed to take up arms or harm civilians"
There is no clarification however how one can become a soldier or be regarded as an enemy soldier.

Obviously the two suspects thought they were soldiers in a holy war and have their own twisted smallminded interpretation of who an enemy is.
It all seems to be a slippery slope of how scholars read and interprete the source text.

Here's an argument between a reporter and someone that "understands" the attacks on BBC:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02gkbls

By the way, please note towards the end that the reporter states this view is not shared by all followers of the faith and some condemn the attack because some people always seem to think everyone who follows this religion is a terrorist or supports terrorism.

Chariot

I believe in freedom of the press. But, I think the French government needs to shut the press down. This is just going to help inspire others.
Jesus, no. Just restrict live footage and especially stuff like positions of special forces. Giving away sniper positions is incredible dumb.

BBC just sourced someone claiming the terrorist in the kosher shop is going to keep his hostages until the siege on the two terrorists in the printing place is lifted.

Over the past few days the BBC have compared this to the attacks in Mumbai, not really sure why considering those guys went around killing indiscriminately, everyone was a target. These guys haven't targeted any civilians (yet), well, at least those that had nothing to do with the cartoons. It's a bad comparison.

I just heard an interview with a guy that turned up at the factory for an interview where he met what he thought were police officers, but were in fact the terrorist brothers, they told him to go away and that they didn't kill civilians, at which point the guy realised who they were. He said they shook his hand and sent him away. Hopefully they won't kill their hostage if this is the case.

chadskin

Summary:
paris_shooting_vincennes.svg

BBC just reported that the hostage taker at the supermarket told police the hostages wouldn't be let go until the siege on the two brothers is lifted.

Guy.brush

Jesus, no. Just restrict live footage and especially stuff like positions of special forces. Giving away sniper positions is incredible dumb.

Not sure the suspects - who most certainly are tired and full of adrenline - have the time to watch TV channels while holding a map of the complex they are in and then are able to interprete footage from the outside and make mind maps like Jack Bauer of where every law enforcement piece is on the table.

I would believe they aren't capable of that.

Koren

Wait there's another Hostage situation?
Yes.

One or two persons, probably one responsible for the kill yesterday morning in the south of Paris. Linked to the brothers surrounded in Narth-east of Paris.

Several hostages, possibly children, probably at least one wounded.

And this time, it's *inside* Paris, so it's probably even worse.

It just strikes me as a colossal failure of intelligence. To let known terrorists with criminal records come and go as they please, fight wars in Syria, and then come back home where they get their hands on grenade launchers.

It would be one thing if they were not known to intelligence, but these guys clearly were.

It should also be noted that these brothers were fighting Al-Assad in Syria. In other words, they could well have been fighting with weapons supplied by the West or its Middle Eastern allies, even possibly France, when they were over there. As they were effectively on the West's side there and the rebels there were being armed.

You and I know about that one failure, but how many terrorist plans have the authorities foiled that we'll never know about?

On the BBC they just made the claim that the hostage situation in the Jewish store is definitely connected to the brothers in the paper shop, and that the guy in the Jewish store is making statements alluding to consequences resulting from the other hostage situation.

Beefy

This isn't true. One is the leader of an extremist cult and spouts inflammatory lies that are perfectly calculated to further isolate and radicalize his followers, and the other is Choudary.

In all seriousness people like Hannity can be just as dangerous and harmful as people like Choudary.

Choudary has been arrested several times. But each time some how gets off. He is like a poison in the UK and has been connected to several groups that incite terror and attacks that have now been shut down. I agree Hannity uses him to paint a very disgusting image of muslims which isn't right. But for me Choudary (specially as I live in England) is by far the worst out of the two.

abzyshaid

Banned
Then it would be a terrible plan. The police won't take the forces that siege the brothers from there to travel back to Paris to get the other man. I guess local police is holding out there until maybe german special forces arrive.

been watching to much movies :(

chadskin

On the BBC they just made the claim that the hostage situation in the Jewish store is definitely connected to the brothers in the paper shop, and that the guy in the Jewish store is making statements alluding to consequences resulting from the other hostage situation.

It's been confirmed by the French Ministry of Interior that the suspects are connected, they are part of the same group/cell.

kamorra

Fuck Cancer
Did you guys see the live fees showing some kids behind a glass door? Please tell me that this wasn't the supermarket where the hostage situation is.

This is why I prefer BBC World News. For years it's the only place that I've found that isn't full of shit. Normally times like this they show it on their site but you can either watch on it your TV package if it has it or pay for a sub on livestation for it.

They do air some cool documentaries too sometimes when news is slow. Recently aired "Inside Kobane: Keeping Islamic State at bay" which was really interesting, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk36pP_yD-Q

They even ran a segment on showing how safe air travel actually is with official statistics with latest AirAsia flight instead of going that doom-and-gloom approach of air travel with these disasters.

Only news channel I can stand.

Totally agree, I'll take a look at that video you linked. Seems good.

parmanu

Over the past few days the BBC have compared this to the attacks in Mumbai, not really sure why considering those guys went around killing indiscriminately, everyone was a target. These guys haven't targeted any civilians (yet), well, at least those that had nothing to do with the cartoons. It's a bad comparison.

Journalists are civilians!

Well, Marine Le Pen next president confirmed.

I don't think so. Maybe many more seats but most people think she's fucking crazy (which she is). She even wanted to death penalty back which a huge amount of French disagree with (vast, vast majority) and would never support her based on that. She recently said all Muslims in France are basically like the Nazis when France was occupied which doesn't help her agenda much at all (because she's including 3-5 generations of French national muslims) and hate her for how she has the audacity to use such a historical issue.

I think she definitely is gaining support but never the amount that would solidify her position because she says a lot of other dumb shit that divides people outside of her stuff about Islam. Definitely more seats for the Front National though I think unfortunately.

Marc Burleigh ‏@marcburleigh 59s60 seconds ago
At least 2 dead in hostage-taking in eastern Paris, police sources say. #AFP

Agence France-Presse @ afpfr 1m1 minute ago
Shooting and hostage-taking Porte de Vincennes: at least two deaths (close file) # AFP
0 replies 41 retweets 0 favorites

fuck :/

It's been confirmed by the French Ministry of Interior that the suspects are connected, they are part of the same group/cell.

Yep. I'm more worried about him making demands that the brothers need to be let go or that there will be consequences. By all accounts he has 5 hostages, he's trying to bargain with them....

I just heard an interview with a guy that turned up at the factory for an interview where he met what he thought were police officers, but were in fact the terrorist brothers, they told him to go away and that they didn't kill civilians, at which point the guy realised who they were. He said they shook his hand and sent him away. Hopefully they won't kill their hostage if this is the case.

The hostages are Jews. You think a jihadi is going to care about the lives of Jews?

marrec

Banned
Choudary has been arrested several times. But each time some how gets off. He is like a poison in the UK and has been connected to several groups that incite terror and attacks that have now been shut down. I agree Hannity uses him to paint a very disgusting image of muslims which isn't right. But for me Choudary (specially as I live in England) is by far the worst out of the two.

I can see your perspective, especially as you live in England. Since I live in the US I feel like Hannity wins the scumbag olympics. Of course, he's never been arrested for being a extremist dog-whistling dickhead so... it is abhorrent that he knowingly used Choudary as an effigy to burn and increase islamophobia among his viewers though, we can both agree with that.

It's all slightly tangential to the happenings however.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom