• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack at Charlie Hebdo magazine. 12 dead. 11 wounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

marrec

Banned
Fox done well and played that cunt Anjem, hes the most hated muslim in UK by muslims. Complete and utter twat

Hannity knows exactly what he's doing by using that scumbag as a representation of islam. Hannity is just as fucking scummy.

Putain de merde.

This is a fucking nightmare.

For the second time this week, I made a call to make sure the nanny would not take the kids out. We're not that close but close enough.

A kosher supermarket on sabbath's eve? Goddammit. If there are casualties there gonna be a shitstorm, and not the good kind.

Flappy

Banned
Yves Albarello said they told the police they "want to die as martyrs". So why are they hiding? If they really want to die, then shouldn't they just walk out with their guns drawn?

Can we split these conversations into another thread?

Re: The 2nd shooter/hostage situation. I just got confused by looking at the above pictures. The above pictures do not reference the shooters from the Charlie Hebdo massacre.

Seems related. THe guy is in the same files as the two gunmen in the investigation.

Yves Albarello said they told the police they "want to die as martyrs". So why are they hiding? If they really want to die, then shouldn't they just walk out with their guns drawn?

Distraction to get a little more time, especially with a held hostage...?

Odah

Banned
They should place policemen in atleast every public building, school, etc in and around Paris. Every street, every corner, just fucking everywhere to overcome any other surprises...

i know it sounds almost impossible but shit needs to be prevented

Guy.brush

Let's be glad it's not or else there would be a nuke shipped around or something

Yeah it feels like it is the plot of the first 4-8 hours only, where Islamic idiots carry out their little game, fail at it and then the subsequent hours would be about Bauer's brother, an evil military contractor company or Russian extremists planning a way bigger endgame.

Actually glad it is not like 24. Suspects are a lot sloppier and stupider.

Obviously not all Muslims are terrorists etc. I don't think anyone thinks that (nobody in their right mind anyway) if that was the case there would be so many more attacks than there have been, but to disregard the quite obvious problem with the small minority in that religion is as harmful as those that blame all Muslims. We will never get anywhere, just stuck in a perpetual argument.

Media attention. Inspiration for the greater numbers of their " followers "

Beefy

Hannity knows exactly what he's doing by using that scumbag as a representation of islam. Hannity is just as fucking scummy.

You can't compare the two. Hannity is scummy as he wants the views and to make out all muslims are like Choudary. But Choudary is far far worse.

Saw this on Twitter, I like it:

B65Q1wXCEAABsKN.jpg

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Can we split these conversations into another thread?

Re: The 2nd shooter/hostage situation. I just got confused by looking at the above pictures. The above pictures do not reference the shooters from the Charlie Hebdo massacre.

The situations actually seem to be more related than initially though. The suspect in the second case is a friend or acquaintance of one of the brothers and they seem to be part of the same terrorist cell.

Jake.

They should place policemen in atleast every public building, school, etc in and around Paris. Every street, every corner, just fucking everywhere to overcome any other surprises...

uh, that is literally impossible and wouldn't prevent shit.

FiggyCal

Banned
Fox done well and played that cunt Anjem, hes the most hated muslim in UK by muslims. Complete and utter twat

It's done on purpose to convince his audience of what "Muslims believe". Conservatives have much to gain in convincing people to hate Islam.

marrec

Banned

As an American, I thought "how would this make anything better?!" but then I remembered that this is France so maybe you're right.

Xando

Can't believe there is now a hostage situation in a Jewish shop... Is it the same guy who shot the policewoman? Op needs to be updated.

Yes it's supposed to be the guy who shot the police woman and he's supposed to be connected to the two brothers. Looks like they were in the same Cell.

clockpunk

And have sharpshooters attempt to disable hands/arms and knees simultaneously - that's what I would hope for.

Maedre

Banned
i hope the police will get them alive. The dead is too good for this scum. They shoudl stay the rest of their life behind bars.

Sayter

I believe in freedom of the press. But, I think the French government needs to shut the press down. This is just going to help inspire others.

Koren

Well, legislative work was done last year to have the legal means to prevent someone from traveling. But that's a temporary and individual measure that requires due procedure. TBH, we reasonably can't do more without starting to seriously hamper on freedom.
Probably not doable... You can travel freely in 20+ countries, without border control. Even if you can prevent them from using a plane in France, you won't be able to synchronize with the police of 20 other countries to prevent them to do the same in Roumania, Sweden, Austria, etc....

It just strikes me as a colossal failure of intelligence. To let known terrorists with criminal records come and go as they please, fight wars in Syria, and then come back home where they get their hands on grenade launchers.

It would be one thing if they were not known to intelligence, but these guys clearly were.
You know that you're talking about several hundreds of people, not a couple dozen? There's not enough people working for intelligence to track all of them, even if they were all doing this job (and the threat isn't, by far, coming only from people returning from Syria).

It should also be noted that these brothers were fighting Al-Assad in Syria.
Have you a source for this? I've heard the opposite, that they never leaved to fight in Syria (ten years ago, they had some affairs in Irak, though, although I think only one of them actually left France)

Ekdrm2d1

The situations actually seem to be more related than initially though. The suspect in the second case is a friend or acquaintance of one of the brothers and they seem to be part of the same terrorist cell.

Thank you.

Still confusing. We are talking about two different things in the topic about the terrorist attack at the magazine storefront.

Guess I'll deal with it.

Can't believe there is now a hostage situation in a Jewish shop... Is it the same guy who shot the policewoman? Op needs to be updated.

Seems like it. Most likely related to the Kouachi brothers in some ways (same group of influence, same cell ?)

5 hostages, one woman, at least 2 children.

Fuck.

First time two hostages situation happeneing at once in France. Paris is on lockdown.

How's the chance that they have bombs with deadman's trigger?

Very unlikely. Explosive are much harder to make than getting some AK.

Thanks for that, really sick of Skynews, don't like there "drama, drama" way of presenting stuff.

This is why I prefer BBC World News. For years it's the only place that I've found that isn't full of shit. Normally times like this they show it on their site but you can either watch on it your TV package if it has it or pay for a sub on livestation for it.

They do air some cool documentaries too sometimes when news is slow. Recently aired "Inside Kobane: Keeping Islamic State at bay" which was really interesting, you can watch here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vk36pP_yD-Q

They even ran a segment on showing how safe air travel actually is with official statistics with latest AirAsia flight instead of going that doom-and-gloom approach of air travel with these disasters.

Only news channel I can stand.

marrec

Banned
You can't compare the two. Hannity is scummy as he wants the views. But Choudary is far far worse.

This isn't true. One is the leader of an extremist cult and spouts inflammatory lies that are perfectly calculated to further isolate and radicalize his followers, and the other is Choudary.

In all seriousness people like Hannity can be just as dangerous and harmful as people like Choudary.

Mohonky

I'm more curious as to what the potential blowback will be from the Jewish community, didnt they recently have riots between the Jewish and Muslim community, I think it was during the Isreali operations in Gaza.

Cant imagine this is going to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom