• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack at Charlie Hebdo magazine. 12 dead. 11 wounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mimosa97

Important to remember. Kosher markets are awesome and while I'm ethnically jewish when I shop at kosher markets it's because the prices and cuts, not because of any religious obligation.

Quality products, good prizes, warm welcome, and a vast range of spices ^^

Honestly, I've a news channel on since 9am, and they've said NOTHING new about Dammattin-en-Goële in the last 5 hours.

Police probably take their time to consider all options, and there's just nothing to say. Should something happen, we'll have news, but that can take many hours, or even days.

Last time, in 2012, RAID waited 32h before launching the assault, and there wasn't even an hostage.... and there's people that think they launched it too early).

The GIGN also waited 14h before assaulting the plane diverted by terrorist after they made it land in Marignan (south of France).

I wish that the assault(s) will be as good as the one on this plane, btw. 4 terrorists controlling a plane full of passangers, and not a single casualty when they assaulted it (beside terrorists, obviously). As flawless as you can hope.

During the plane assault, one cop got seriously injured though. he took a dozen bullets from uzi and ak in the kevlar, arms and helm. He was amazingly lucky

dreamlock

The hero Los Santos deserves
According to Le Monde:
- Kouachi brothers: Charlie Hebdo killings. Currently holding an hostage 50 kilometers from Paris.
- Amedy Coulibaly: killed a policewoman yesterday in Montrouge, still on the run.
- Suspect X (was Boumedienne a few minutes ago): holding hostages in a Kosher Mart. Already killed 2 people.

What the hell? A terrorist cell then? This is insane.

Guy.brush

Really hope the delay in both assaults is because the RAID/GIGN teams are currently looking at building plans, getting infrared scanning done, listening in to potential comms from the suspects, etc and not because they actually want to negotiate with these idiots.

BFMTV: The Paris hostage taker got out of prison 2 months ago. He was imprisoned for trying to help another inmate evade

Edit: The guy he tried to help is an islamist, sentenced to life in prison for the 1995 terrorist attack in Paris.

Really hope the delay in both assaults is because the RAID/GIGN teams are currently looking at building plans, getting infrared scanning done, listening in to potential comms from the suspects, etc and not because they actually want to negotiate with these idiots.

Would you rather the hostages lives were risked?

Shito

During the plane assault, one cop got seriously injured though. he took a dozen bullets from uzi and ak in the kevlar, arms and helm. He was amazingly lucky
Not the full story.
He also had a grenade land just in front of him. Had the time to turn its back from it, and his back shield protected him from the majority of the explosion. He still got wounded by the splinters.

Richard Engel ‏@RichardEngel 1m1 minute ago
French prosecutor's'office confirmed link between the shooter of Monbtrouge and the two shooters responsible for the charlie hebdo shooting

Reply Retweet Favorite
More
Richard Engel ‏@RichardEngel 15s15 seconds ago
French official could not confirm how many hostages inside kosher grocery but confirmed there were many because of shopping before Sabbath.

Went out this morning and when I came back and turned on the news it took me a good five minutes to figure out what was going on, what a complex turn of events.

RangerX

Banned
Marine Le Pen profiting from an attack on Jews huh?

The political ramifications of this are going to be severe. Hollande has the lowest polls in recent french history. He could appeal to populism to prevent a shift to FN. Anyway the primary issue is preventing any more killings by these fucking nutbags.

Tugatrix

Negotiation is necessary, this clowns don't want to die or they would have killed themselves by now

Guy.brush

Would you rather the hostages lives were risked?

Apparently in one situation there have been 2 hostages killed already, suggesting that the suspects are highly agitated and unstable. The other situation with the two brothers is a big chance for French law enforcement to take back the narrative from reactive to active.
How many hostages are in the print factory? 1?

Mohonky

You have to admit though, the assault on that plane is legendary stuff. Plane full of passengers with 4 terrorists on board and they managed to assault the aircraft, take down the terrorists and not lose a single passenger. I remember watching a documentary on that. Amazing.

abzyshaid

Banned
That's a very narrow minded view on the quote. He never implied Muslim = terrorist, just that Islam is the common denominator in many of these terrorist attacks (go look through the incidents in Pakistan, Russia, Africa, much of the shit happening in the Middle East etc).

The question is why Islam either attracts or is being so warped that it is breeding so many radicals capable and willing to commit such atrocities.

Christians and Catholics were commiting all manner of unspeakable shit hundreds or years ago but over the years it has moved progressively forward while sects within Islam have been moving progressively backwards. Islam was once the safe haven for scientist, mathematicians, forward thinking philosophers and any one wanting to expand their understanding of the sciences, arts and our society in general. At some point that went to shit and along the way more extreme interpretations managed to get a foothold.

The point is Islam is the elephant in the room. The majority of people dont think all Muslims are terrorists, but when looking at the bigger picture of world events, Islam appears often as the common denominator in these atrocities.

Personally I think it is counter productive to simply say "yes well clearly theres a few bad apples out there." We're talking more than a few bad apples. There are entire groups out there that want to mandate Shariah law for everyone and they are willing to kill anyone in their way to implement it. IS, Boko Haram, Al Queda, the Taliban. They are just the bugger players, there are many many more even smaller cells out there by different titles, but all fighting in the name of Islam.

Rather than tip toeing and skirting the issue by refusing to talk about why it is Islam is producing so many people willing to kill and be killed by some variations and interpretations of it isnt going to make the issue go away.

Whenever we have these threads I've seen members get shouted down for questioning Islams role in all of this as though they are being ignorant or Islamaphobic for even suggesting such a thing. At some point though you really have to begin questioning why this is so prevalent in Islam and how do we go about tackling that issue.

how is Islam to blame for this? the two guys that killed those people also killed a muslim police officer, no religion tells you to go out and kill people willy nilly and if we are talking about which religion does the most terroist attacks then lets see the stats.

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013...ttacks-on-u-s-soil-between-1970-and-2012.html

2.5% of all terrorist attacks on U.S. soil between 1970 and 2012 were carried out by Muslims.* This is a tiny proportion of all attacks.

4.9% – were carried out by Jewish groups such as Jewish Armed Resistance, the Jewish Defense League, Jewish Action Movement, United Jewish Underground and Thunder of Zion

7% – by anti-abortion activists, who tend to be Christian

a Puerto Rican paramilitary organization – carried out more than 120 bomb attacks on U.S. targets between 1974 and 1983, and there were some 41 attacks by Cuban exiles, and a number of attacks by other Latin American groups. If we look at worldwide attacks – instead of just attacks on U.S

An FBI report shows that only a small percentage of terrorist attacks carried out on U.S. soil between 1980 and 2005 were perpetrated by Muslims.

chadskin

A witness to the second siege has told French media what he saw at the kosher supermarket siege.

“There was an individual - African - who had a Kalashnikov ... and he immediately went into the deli and he started shooting with his Kalashnikov,” said the man, who gave his name as Fabian.

“The latest news is that sadly apparently there are two dead. What is for sure is that colleagues that are there already saw six hostages that were controlled by this individual.”

http://www.theguardian.com/world/li...-manhunt-kouachi-terrorist-links-live-updates

They are still negotiating. French special forces only launch an assault when they have no other choice, i.e. when the hostages' lives are in danger and/or when the hostage takers break communication/negotiation.

It's taking a long time because that's how negotiations typically work.

Kabouter

how is Islam to blame for this? the two guys that killed those people also killed a muslim police officer, no religion tells you to go out and kill people willy nilly and if we are talking about which religion does the most terroist attacks then lets see the stats.

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2013...ttacks-on-u-s-soil-between-1970-and-2012.html

2.5% of all terrorist attacks on U.S. soil between 1970 and 2012 were carried out by Muslims.* This is a tiny proportion of all attacks.

4.9% – were carried out by Jewish groups such as Jewish Armed Resistance, the Jewish Defense League, Jewish Action Movement, United Jewish Underground and Thunder of Zion

a Puerto Rican paramilitary organization – carried out more than 120 bomb attacks on U.S. targets between 1974 and 1983, and there were some 41 attacks by Cuban exiles, and a number of attacks by other Latin American groups. If we look at worldwide attacks – instead of just attacks on U.S

An FBI report shows that only a small percentage of terrorist attacks carried out on U.S. soil between 1980 and 2005 were perpetrated by Muslims.

Do you have global stats on this stuff too? I'd be interested in seeing those, not being American and all.

Yagharek

2.5% of all terrorist attacks on U.S. soil between 1970 and 2012 were carried out by Muslims.* This is a tiny proportion of all attacks..

This is the worst abuse of selective statistics I have ever seen.

Kup

Which seems completely.... uh stupid? Why not just take more mags? You're not going to duel wield AKs when the RAID comes in.

But dropping an empty AK and picking up a loaded one might be quicker than reloading just one many times...

nynt9

I like how you deflect the issue by talking about terror attacks on US soil when he didn't mention it anywhere in his post. He mentioned a bunch of other countries though. How about those?

abzyshaid

Banned
I am no way trying to derail or cause an argument on this thread so please if anyone wish to discuss this matter then please inbox me as I will not reply back :) I waited months for my neogaf account to be given the green light so will not lose it over something stupid

Mohonky

USA = World?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Islamic_terrorist_attacks

Take a look outside your corner of the world for just a moment.

You have to admit though, the assault on that plane is legendary stuff. Plane full of passengers with 4 terrorists on board and they managed to assault the aircraft, take down the terrorists and not lose a single passenger. I remember watching a documentary on that. Amazing.

it is a fucking fine assault job. Everything went almost perfectly. Even the last guy stand 20min with two hostages and went down without hurting them, only facing the cops.

The movie from a couple of years ago L'ASSAULT is very tense

CHusson91

Banned
I am no way trying to derail or cause an argument on this thread so please if anyone wish to discuss this matter then please inbox me as I will not reply back :) I waited months for my neogaf account to be given the green light so will not lose it over something stupid

You're off to an awesome start.

marrec

Banned

Man you are like, the smartest Junior I've ever seen. :lol

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
As crazy a situation as it is, we are talking about 5 people.
You have to be quite naive to think that it's just about 5 people. It maybe just 5 people being active know, but I don't wanna know how many are getting recruited and brainwashed righ5 now for such actions.

Scary as fuck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom