• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Terrorist attack at Charlie Hebdo magazine. 12 dead. 11 wounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Can somebody pass me the link with the video from the kosher market? Apparently some journalist put himself in danger to take some rather impressive footage, but I can't find it for the life in me.

In these terrible hours, this might give you a smile

c6651ce2ed0794175fa722ddb49394b26a2ebb85.jpg

normal_twd101-002897-the-road-to-atlanta-is-paved-with-good-intentions-in-the-walking-dead.jpeg

Man you never really notice how CGey CG actually looks until you compare it with real life directly.

OT: Where did this second hostage situation come from? Not the same gunmen?

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
You were not talking about prevention, just your fears. You don't know what the actual threat is, all we know is that there is a small group of terrorists that have attacked.
You really think this is the only terrorist cell operating and being active in Europe?

If so... We should just end the discussion. Let's agree to disagree. I said it's about prevention and that's what I meant.

nynt9

I am no way trying to derail or cause an argument on this thread so please if anyone wish to discuss this matter then please inbox me as I will not reply back :) I waited months for my neogaf account to be given the green light so will not lose it over something stupid

Then:

Are you kidding me?

-------------------------------

So has the hostage situation in the kosher market resolved? I can't really watch anything but someone posted something about a surrender.

Alx

Woah, when did a female officer get shot? I thought after the Charlie Hebdo shooting it was just a manhunt. Something happened between that shooting and this standoff?

Yes, the morning after the attack, a city policewoman was shot in the back while she was taking care of a minor accident in the south of Paris. Apparently her attacker is linked to the killers of Charlie Hebdo, and is now the one taking hostages in the grocery.

Chariot

In these terrible hours, this might give you a smile

c6651ce2ed0794175fa722ddb49394b26a2ebb85.jpg

normal_twd101-002897-the-road-to-atlanta-is-paved-with-good-intentions-in-the-walking-dead.jpeg
Given what special forces are involved Walking Dead may be an appropriate title for these terrorists right now. Although I still hope that everyone get out this alive if that means that every hostage gets out alive too. But that hope is faint :/

Sayter

Woah, when did a female officer get shot? I thought after the Charlie Hebdo shooting it was just a manhunt. Something happened between that shooting and this standoff?

Female police officer was shot yesterday. Police didn't know if it was tied to Wednesday's shooting. It's been confirmed that the shooter is indeed tied to Wednesday's shooters.

E-phonk

Banned
The idea of "terrorist cells" is a bit wrong to me personally. It's a term introduced by the US news channels (sleeping terrorist cells) - while it's mostly unrelated activists that follow the same ideology.
5 crazy people can do a lot of damage, without needing to be an organised "cell" of a big network.

Adam curtis's power of nightmares shows this quite well (and gives a good background about the birth of moslim extremism)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlA8KutU2to

Drifters

Which reminds me, why did no bigger organisation try to stage multiple attack all over europe or a single country at once so far?

You talking about post 9/11? I'm sure there have been attacks that have been in tandem with each other but not on as large a scale. This also smells like wave based plot to keep hitting at different vectors.

Majorzero

Neo Member
I'm guessing these attacks are connected to the news that France might be sending an aircraft carrier to attack ISIS in Syria?

Koren

It's alarming how a few group of people can cause so much mayhem.
That's one of the principles of terrorism... They weren't many more directly involved the 9/11 to cause even more mayhem. Open fire in a crowded place and you can kill far more than a dozen persons, unfortunately.

Mohonky

So the guy who killed the female police officer yesterday now has hostages in the jewish store and the brothers have one hostage elsewhere? And they are probably known to each other. Okay that's not as complicated as I thought.

I would be surprised if any of this was planned to be honest, or even if it was (say another incident) this mornings chase probably brought things forward or opened up a window of opportunity.

The two in the grocery store might have just seized the oppurtunity knowing full well virtually all attention was on the brothers as was the police resources, that being the case they would face lighter resistence in town.

I doubt any of them expect to get out of this alive after the original incident so they may just be taking whatever opportunity they get for maximum exposure and impact. All of them getting caught is some what inevitable, this way however they do this on their own terms as opposed to being cornered somewhere and unable to strike out further. This way they get to basically extend their offensive. The main objective of any terrorist is maximum exposure and they are certainly going to get it.

marrec

Banned
Makes you wonder how we'd deal if there were 20 or 30 incidents occuring, rather than 2 or 3. Unpleasant food for thought.

Luckily (I guess?) organizing 20-30 simultaneous attacks would be incredibly hard in even more destabilized countries, much less France or Britain or the US... it is a scary thought though.

I know the situation isn't funny but I just heard that Bashar Al Assad sent a warning to the Syrian citizens from traveling to France because of terrorism for their own safety and wellbeing.
This is turning into a dark comedy.

Raist

Banned
BBC still saying two people have been killed at the grocery store. :(

No official source says that.

Sometimes I really wonder whether in these situations journals/TV just completely make shit up so that in case it happens, they "had it first".

Odah

Banned
If shit like this starts to happen in multiple european cities then something has to be done...I just don't know how you can counter terrorism succesfully...

Reporter on Sky making the point that the brothers haven't killed any ''civilian'' yet, may play a part as to whether police will risk a raid or try to negotiate longer.

Mimosa97

It just confuses me and makes me think what weird mindset you have

Well i'm French but i live outside of the country. I havn't been sleeping much the last 2 days and the tension is almost unbearable ... so I need to blow off steam a bit ...

Man you never really notice how CGey CG actually looks until you compare it with real life directly.

OT: Where did this second hostage situation come from? Not the same gunmen?

There is a second hostage situation. From what we know it's the guy who killed a policewoman yesterday. He's a friend of the terrorist brothers and there's a woman who's helping him.

Given what special forces are involved Walking Dead may be an appropriate title for these terrorists right now. Although I still hope that everyone get out this alive if that means that every hostage gets out alive too. But that hope is faint :/

I hope too ... But i can't say i'm very optimistic ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom