• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2010 Academy Awards of Something Something

Status
Not open for further replies.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
bud said:
baldwin and martin were pretty funny, i thought... but stiller fucking owned. i love that guy so much.

me too, man. i guess i can understand if someone doesn't find him funny or something, but stiller just strikes me as one of the most guileless, down to earth dudes in hollywood.

ULTROS! said:
So yeah, I was in school the whole time and just found out who won.

Congrats to THL!

I wonder why a lot of people hate Avatar, it looks pretty. :lol

i don't hate AVATAR any more than i hate something like OVER THE HEDGE.

I just ordered The Hurt Locker to try and understand the magnitude of these wins.. I have a feeling it's going to turn out to be just another indie film that is completely undeserving of its praise. Prove me wrong, ex-Cameron milf.

Enosh

Jibril said:
Best Sound should have been Avatar. Got robbed too.
the music in avatar was compleatly forgetable beyond 5s of a track which was actualy good and some of the sound effects were from Jurasic Park

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Enosh said:
the music in avatar was compleatly forgetable beyond 5s of a track which was actualy good and some of the sound effects were from Jurasic Park
Best sound is not best score

Enosh
(Crazy)Member
(Today, 01:09 PM)
Reply | Quote

LM4sure

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:
I just ordered The Hurt Locker to try and understand the magnitude of these wins.. I have a feeling it's going to turn out to be just another indie film that is completely undeserving of its praise. Prove me wrong, ex-Cameron milf.

It's not that it's a bad movie, but your assumption is right: it is completely undeserving of its praise. It was a decent enough movie, but I was pretty let down due to the critical acclaim it had received...and this was before it had received any nominations. So I'm sure if I saw it again, I would be even more disappointed.

Overall, the 2009 field was pretty overwhelming. When District 9 gets a nomination for best pic, you know the field was pretty slim. :lol Granted, I liked District 9 quite a bit (moreso than The Hurt Locker), but a best picture nomination? C'mon!

LCfiner

I NEED SCISSORS said:

I saw this movie when it was completely under the radar and really enjoyed it. if you go in with very high expectations, you may be disappointed.

just try to enjoy it for what it is and not for what The Oscars (TM) say it is.

Enosh

Jibril said:
Best sound is not best score
well don't realy know what the award is suposed to represent I just wanted to say that overall the sound in avatar was lacking compared to it's visuals

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Enosh said:
well don't realy know what the award is suposed to represent I just wanted to say that overall the sound in avatar was lacking compared to it's visuals

Point taken :)

Blair

Banned
Best Picture: The Hurt Locker (Kathryn Bigelow)

9av0ag.jpg

WrikaWrek

Banned
It can be said that unfortunately IB works best as a collection of shorts, with two of them having balls out amazing writing, but that the rest are pure Quentin wanking himself, with arcs nobody cares. The survivor girl arc nobody cared about, and the basterds themselves have a first sequence that lasts forever and hardly goes anywhere.

None of us know dick shit about sound design, so it seems really stupid to complain about that one.

Cinematography was stolen from either IB or White Ribbon.

Actress was laughable, but since most of gaf hasn't even watched most of the movies nominated, there's hardly any lasting uproar about it.

And Scullibundo saying Bigelow shouldn't even had gotten nominated shows how didly squat he knows about the whole thing, when he feverishly wanted Cameron to win. Cameron that clearly was able to bring some of the best performances, some of the best story, some of the best writing, to the screen and was able to have a final cut that was worthy of OSCar editing award, all this done on Location in Pandora, one of the hardest places in the galaxy to shoot a movie, and with a small budget. It was such a tense and expertly crafted movie, the technology was just there to bring us the best movie of the year, and not to be the main star of the show.

Get a clue people.

LCfiner

WrikaWrek said:
It can be said that unfortunately IB works best as a collection of shorts, with two of them having balls out amazing writing, but that the rest are pure Quentin wanking himself, with arcs nobody cares. The survivor girl arc nobody cared about, and the basterds themselves have a first sequence that lasts forever and hardly goes anywhere.

whaaaa? you mean Shoshana? I can't be the only one who thought she held that whole movie together. I really cared what happened to her.

WrikaWrek

Banned
LCfiner said:
whaaaa? you mean Shoshana? I can't be the only one who thought she held that whole movie together. I really cared what happened to her.

I cared for her only when she was at the table, so that's on weitz's. I'm not the only one who feel this way.

LCfiner

WrikaWrek said:
I cared for her only when she was at the table, so that's on weitz's. I'm not the only one who feel this way.

fine. but it's presumptuous to say "nobody" like you did at first. of course, this is gaf, etc, etc.

anyway @ Ceres

She doesn't have any kids.

neither do all the women on milf-hunter.com but we love them all the same.

WrikaWrek

Banned
LCfiner said:
fine. but it's presumptuous to say "nobody" like you did at first. of course, this is gaf, etc, etc.

Well it's obvious when i say nobody i'm greatly exaggerating, it would be hard to believe that actually nobody cared.

But it helps when we are writing opinions.

rezuth

I wonder when Tarantino will get fed up with being robbed of prizes and proceed to go batshit insane and fight/slap/spit on people near him.

Timber

deserved wins for hurt locker

the white ribbon and fantastic mr fox probably got robbed

good call on not falling for tarantino's lame affectations. maybe he should write some embarrassing sucking up to the academy into his next movie instead of to the ole boys at cannes. and maybe now he'll be propelled to do a real movie again; it's been over 10 years.

Biff

My thoughts after watching:

This should have been a rare year where Best Picture is different from Best Director and Best Screenplay. In my opinion, THL was a close second in Best Director (to Cameron) and a very close second in Best Original Screenplay (to IB). Those two close seconds combined should (and did) win Best Picture.

But either way, still a great film that more people need to see. This will guarantee that.

Happy to see The Hurt Locker getting the important wins over Avatar. Yes, Avatar had good effects and great camerawork, but other than that, it did nothing but annoy me.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
Inglorious and District 9 were SOOOOOOOOOOO much better than Hurt Locker. Those two movies weren't even in the same universe as Hurt Locker. I enjoyed Hurt Locker but am totally confused why it won best flick.

Holmes

Hm, a disappointing Oscars to accompany a disappointing Grammys this year. :/ I just don't like the top winners -- especially Taylor Swift. But that's another discussion.

JGS

Banned
rezuth said:
I wonder when Tarantino will get fed up with being robbed of prizes and proceed to go batshit insane and fight/slap/spit on people near him.

It should be when he gets to Scorsese level of snubs.

To me, the closest film to have a shot was Pulp Fiction, but a comedy of errors had prevented me from seeing IB. But indications are it gets mixed reactions in terms of it being best picture (not that it is simply a great movie).

y2dvd

KB is the hottess near 60 years old lady I've ever seen. I thought she was in her late 40s at most.

Seems Jason Reitman was more happy James Cameron didn't win than anything. :lol

harSon

Banned
RSTEIN said:
Inglorious and District 9 were SOOOOOOOOOOO much better than Hurt Locker. Those two movies weren't even in the same universe as Hurt Locker. I enjoyed Hurt Locker but am totally confused why it won best flick.

No.

JGS said:
To me, the closest film to have a shot was Pulp Fiction, but a comedy of errors had prevented me from seeing IB. But indications are it gets mixed reactions in terms of it being best picture (not that it is simply a great movie).

In a "traditional" 5 nominated Best Pictures year, I don't think IB gets nominated. District 9 certainly doesn't. Up doesn't. Blind Side doesn't.

IB is a very good movie, with super highlights whenever Waltz is on screen (which is why he won an Oscar and QT didn't.)

yacobod

Banned
Dances With Wolves already won Best Picture & Best Director in 1990, not sure why ppl wanted it to win again in 2010

for the major awards there were no real suprises besides best original screenplay, i think QT should have won, IB was by far my favorite movie of 2009, the opening with Landa & the dairy farmer, the strudel scene at the restaurant with Landa & Shosanna, the bar scene, and the landa movie theater sequences were among the best of the year, i thought it was a shoe in

i think my top 5 of 2010 would be something like
1. Inglourious Basterds
2-5. In no specific order
District 9
The Hurt Locker
Star Trek

Up in the Air, might have made my top 10 of the year, but i think the movie was pretty overrated, so there was no real sure fire winner this year, i would have liked for IB to have won a major award, but i can see how The Hurt Locker won, so no complaints here, the only 2 BP nominees i didnt see were An Education & Precious, i dont really have much of an interest to see either

CassSept

Skiptastic said:
In a "traditional" 5 nominated Best Pictures year, I don't think IB gets nominated.
What would be then? If 5 nominees remained it would be THL, Avatar, IB, Up in the Air and, well, i dunno, Precious? But these 4 would be nominated definitely.

Dirtbag

Dresden said:
Unobtainium is supposed to be the most valuable mineral around. They'll be back, with fire and brimstone. No more nice guy shit, just bomb the nekos to hell and back with nukes.

You guys aren't thinking about this correctly. We mine Pandora because Earth is out of this mineral. What happens when Earth is drained of all of it's minerals, or polluted beyond control.

"There is no green there"

Earth is coming to colonize Pandora next, not blow it up.
Earth will be ruined soon.

JGS

Banned
CassSept said:
What would be then? If 5 nominees remained it would be THL, Avatar, IB, Up in the Air and, well, i dunno, Precious? But these 4 would be nominated definitely.

My opinion of the list would be:

THL
Up In the Air
An Education
Precious

IB would still have a directing nomination.

CassSept said:

The Hurt Locker
Up in the Air
Precious
A Serious Man or An Education

It's possible that IB sneaks in past one of the last three, but I don't think it would. Precious had two acting noms and won for best Adaptation, so I think that's definitely in. I don't know about Serious Man or Education.

cae

Dizzy-4U said:
I so proud of "El secreto". Francella FTW! Racing campeon este año y estamos hechos (lo dudo) :D .

Haha! Campanella's joke (or back-handed compliment, still can't figure it out) was awesome. I'm really happy it won, it was a very very good film. I was expecting The White Ribbon to win, but nope, FRANCELLA is an Oscar-winning actor (at least the movie is :p).

I'm also glad Avatar didn't win. The Hurt Locker definitely wasn't Best Picture, though. What are they thinking...

v0yce

Really surprised to see all the Hurt Locker hate. It was a very good flick. And Jeremy Renner is great. It drug a little in the middle, male bonding parts, but had good tension and ended strong.

I love Tarantino, and I probably would have given it my vote for BP, but I can see that it has it problems and isn't QT's best work.

We just had a year without any truly amazing films. Lots of good, but not one truly great. All the films nominated could easily have their flaws pointed out as to why they're not deserving.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
am I the only one that thought Martin and Baldwin were terrile as hosts ? Most of their jokes fell short - need to bring back jon Stewart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom