• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2010 Academy Awards of Something Something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Baki

District 9 & AVATAR are my favourites. Have not seen Inglorious Basterds or The Hurt Locker. I intend to though.

Zophar

Puddles said:
If there was a "Goodfellas," a "Chinatown," or hell, even a "The Departed" this year, I'd agree with you. But nothing released this year really stood out to me as an all-time classic. We got a mid-tier Coen Bros. film, a Reitman film that isn't as good as Thank You For Smoking, a pretty good Iraq war movie, a mid-tier Pixar film, the most emotionally exploitative film ever about an overweight black chick, and I guess a genuinely great film in Inglorious Basterds.
Man, say what you want about the others but A Serious Man is pretty amazing. The thematic depth of the film blows my mind.

Brinbe

Can't wait till tonight, because while I don't care about the outcomes at all, no matter what happens, the reactions on here should be absolutely hilarious.

Xater

Puddles said:
If there was a "Goodfellas," a "Chinatown," or hell, even a "The Departed" this year, I'd agree with you. But nothing released this year really stood out to me as an all-time classic. We got a mid-tier Coen Bros. film, a Reitman film that isn't as good as Thank You For Smoking, a pretty good Iraq war movie, a mid-tier Pixar film, the most emotionally exploitative film ever about an overweight black chick, and I guess a genuinely great film in Inglorious Basterds.

So yeah, it should really be IB or Avatar. Or maybe The Hurt Locker.

And I liked almost all of those movies more than Avatar. So yeah we are definately not in the same boat here. I don#t think I would want to watch Avatar gain, because besides the visual fluff, which is awesome the first time, I don#t know what else is there.

Zophar said:
Because it's really not that great.

No, it's becasue Sony was too cheap to send out screeners.

Moon wasted most of its great potential imo. Very underwhelming film.

Hurt Locker was an ok movie but nothing i would consider even worthy of a nomination in normal years. It's lack of realism (from a military pov) gave me a headache or two.

dmshaposv

crazy monkey said:
In animated category I don't want UP to win. Coraline or The Secret of Kells should win. Up is very over rated.

I definitely think Coraline was a much better film than UP.

UP started off fantastically, and then nose-divided due to a terribly predictable second half full of pixar-esque cliches. Even the trademark pixar humor was mostly a miss.

Heck, I enjoyed Cloudy with a chance of meatballs more than UP.

Zophar

Xater said:
No, it's becasue Sony was too cheap to send out screeners.
I knew about that, but in all honesty it wouldn't have a had a chance at any nominations, technical or otherwise. Maybe an acting nod for Sam Rockwell. I liked it well enough but that's all it deserves. The guy's next film will be much better, this one felt like a test run for him. Soderbergh's Solaris remake was a better film that occupied the same thematic space, and that one didn't have any Oscar clout despite having Academy-darlings like Clooney and Soderbergh attached to it.

YYZ

Out of three movies: Avatar, IB, and Hurt Locker

I would definitely want IB to win, it's the only one with "lasting value" that I would watch repeatedly.

And someone please tell me why Hurt Locker is getting all this love. I watched it and was underwhelmed.

Biff

crazy monkey said:
In animated category I don't want UP to win. Coraline or The Secret of Kells should win. Up is very over rated.
The Academy kind of gave away Best Animated by accident.

Up is the only animated film nominated for Best Picture.. Wouldn't make sense if it therefore doesn't win best Animated, as the other nominees are apparently not good enough for Best Picture :p

YYZ said:
And someone please tell me why Hurt Locker is getting all this love. I watched it and was underwhelmed.
Because you watched it after it's been ultra-hyped to hell?

I saw it when it was unknown. I was absolutely blown away (no pun intended).

WillyFive

The hate here for Up is insulting.

Sure, the first half hour was cute and all, but it was the rest of the movie that made the first half hour important, how Fredickson deals with what happens in the movie and how it parallels with the boy, the dog, and the bird.

Granted, Coraline was more visually impressive, but that's it.

Brinbe said:
Can't wait till tonight, because while I don't care about the outcomes at all, no matter what happens, the reactions on here should be absolutely hilarious.
This is my take as well. Oscars always bring the lols on gaf. I also haven't seen most of the best picture nominees so I really couldn't give a damn who wins. But, I know if avatar loses the meltdowns will be amazing. So, i'll be rooting against avatar just for the fun of it.

Only person I care about is Jeff Bridges because the DUDE is BOSS and i want him to win everything.

Dresden

criesofthepast said:
This is my take as well. Oscars always bring the lols on gaf. I also haven't seen most of the best picture nominees so I really couldn't give a damn who wins. But, I know if avatar loses the meltdowns will be amazing. So, i'll be rooting against avatar just for the fun of it.
If you're looking for meltdowns, you should be rooting for Avatar to win, not lose. There will be celebrations if Cameron gets taken down here.

Still think Avatar will win.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Probably won't get an answer :lol But did Marvin Hamlisch get nominated here or win anything this year for his Informant score? I thought it was really fantastic, it completely dictated the tone of the movie.

WillyFive

mattiewheels said:
Probably won't get an answer :lol But did Marvin Hamlisch get nominated here or win anything this year for his Informant score? I thought it was really fantastic, it completely dictated the tone of the movie.

No, he wasn't, not for The Informant. The Oscars aren't exactly trusted in their opinions of movie scores. Heck, there was one score review site that said they would not be covering the Oscar's decision.

gdt

criesofthepast said:

Only person I care about is Jeff Bridges because the DUDE is BOSS and i want him to win everything.

You have it backwards...

crazy monkey said:

I finally saw Coraline this weekend. That, to me, is a much more overrated movie. The plot is really meandering. The animation is really phenomenal but it's a very contrived fairy tale with very few real moments of emotion, which UP has in spades. I'd much rather have seen Cloudy get nominated over Coraline. That was a spectacular movie across the board.

WillyFive

BenjaminBirdie said:
I finally saw Coraline this weekend. That, to me, is a much more overrated movie. The plot is really meandering. The animation is really phenomenal but it's a very contrived fairy tale with very few real moments of emotion, which UP has in spades. I'd much rather have seen Cloudy get nominated over Coraline. That was a spectacular movie across the board.

Exactly.

Coraline needed more rough drafts for the script to make sense, but Cloudy was a fantastic movie.

Willy105 said:
Exactly.

Coraline needed more rough drafts for the script to make sense, but Cloudy was a fantastic movie.

It was very clearly a short, storybook-level story, which was visual masterpiece on the page and a great reading experience but not strong enough to sustain a real compelling narrative. I think it scores a lot of points for being so unsettling for a kids movie, but that doesn't necessarily make it great.

harSon

Banned
This is how I'd rank the stuff I actually give a shit about.

Best Picture
1. Inglourious Basterds
2. Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire
3. A Serious Man
4. Up in the Air
5. Up
6. Avatar
7. The Hurt Locker
8. An Education

These last two shouldn't have been nominated.

9. District 9
10. The Blind Side

Actor in a Leading Role
1. Jeremy Renner
2. Jeff Bridges
3. Collin Firth
4. Morgan Freeman
5. George Clooney

Actor in a Supporting Role (I thought Alfred Molina deserved to win but he wasn't nominated)
1. Woody Harrelson
2. Christoph Waltz
3. Christopher Plummer
4. Matt Damon
5. Stanley Tucci

Actress in a Leading Role
1. Gabourey Sidibe
2. Carey Mulligan
3. Meryl Streep
4. Helen Mirren
5. Sandra Bullock (Joke nomination)

Actress in a Supporting Role
1. Mo'Nique
2. Vera Farmiga
3. Anna Kendrick
4. Penélope Cruz
5. Maggie Gyllenhaal

Animated Feature Film (I personally would have chosen Ponyo as 1, but it's not listed)
1. Up
2. The Princess and the Frog
3. Coraline
4. Fantastic Mr. Fox
5. The Secret of Kells

Cinematography
1. The White Ribbon (Das Weisse Band)
2. Avatar
3. Inglorious Basterds
4. The Hurt Locker
5. Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Directing
1. Avatar
James Cameron

2. The Hurt Locker
Kathryn Bigelow

3. Inglourious Basterds
Quentin Tarantino

4. Up in the Air

5. Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire (This was a tough one, I don't think Lee Daniels is an impressive director in a traditional sense, but he's good at judging which actors/actresses are perfect for the roles in his films.)
Lee Daniels

Foreign Language Film (I've only seen two)
1. A Prophet (Un Prophète)
2. The White Ribbon (Das Weisse Band)

Writing (Adapted Screenplay)
1. In the Loop
2. Precious: Based on the Novel 'Push' by Sapphire
3. Up in the Air
4. An Education
5. District 9 (This being nominated is a joke)

Writing (Original Screenplay)
1. Inglourious Basterds
Written by Quentin Tarantino

2. A Serious Man
Written by Joel Coen & Ethan Coen

3. The Hurt Locker
Written by Mark Boal

4. Up
Screenplay by Bob Peterson, Pete Docter. Story by Pete Docter, Bob Peterson, Tom McCarthy

5. The Messenger
Written by Alessandro Camon & Oren Moverman

WillyFive

Dresden said:
Still in troll-mode eh?

Are you trying to say that you disagree with me, but don't have a proper argument to convince me otherwise?

Come on. People read NeoGAF, we have an audience. Show them your views.

BenjaminBirdie said:
It was very clearly a short, storybook-level story, which was visual masterpiece on the page and a great reading experience but not strong enough to sustain a real compelling narrative. I think it scores a lot of points for being so unsettling for a kids movie, but that doesn't necessarily make it great.

It definitely had great ideas, and by the ending, it was really interesting, but it didn't build up it's story very well or how the characters react to it. It felt like the story was meant to be for a videogame instead of a movie.

Zeliard

WrikaWrek said:
They are all vastly different movies from Hurt Locker, in vastly different wars, with vastly different generations.

And only Saving Private Ryan is in place to equal/surprass Hurt Locker as thrill ride. Platoon and Thin Red Line don't work at all, as action movies.

The comparison is stupid.

The writer himself used movies such as those as models for The Hurt Locker.

http://www.time.com/time/arts/article/0,8599,1969623,00.html

Time said:
TIME: Did you have models in mind or movies that you were working against?

Mark Boal: A little bit of both. For me, movies like Platoon and Saving Private Ryan, Schindler's List and Apocalypse Now, were not just cinematic experiences but were informative in terms of creating a sense of what those wars were like. They served that function in the culture. I was aiming for something along those lines with The Hurt Locker — to make a movie that hopefully, 20 years later, somebody would watch and say, Oh, I didn't know the war was like that.

I don't feel The Hurt Locker comes close to measuring up to those films. It's gone down as the pre-eminent Iraq War movie mostly due to scarcity of competition, while there have been countless films about Vietnam and the World Wars.

And Platoon functions perfectly fine as an action movie, though it has greater ambitions than that. The battle scenes are lengthy and as intense as anything else that's been on-screen. All of these movies bring elements to them that The Hurt Locker doesn't bother to venture into, content to remain a straightforward action movie. As a result, it isn't going to be anywhere near as timeless.

GhaleonEB

dmshaposv said:
I definitely think Coraline was a much better film than UP.

UP started off fantastically, and then nose-divided due to a terribly predictable second half full of pixar-esque cliches. Even the trademark pixar humor was mostly a miss.
This also describes Wall-E, IMO. Pixar has really dropped off lately.

Up's coronation as best animated film is just sad; Coraline really deserves it.
BenjaminBirdie said:
Oh wow, BB. -10,000 respect points for that one. Cloudy was garbage, even my kids didn't like it. I'd rather see one of the Ice Age movies, and I thought they were all utterly terrible.

Tobor

I've resigned myself to the fact that Avatar will win. After all, it won the last time it was nominated in 1990.

Zophar

The truly great Iraq War movies won't be made for another decade or so, as it was with Vietnam.

THL is certainly good if not a bit overrated, I think its major failing is that it refuses to make any statement about the war. There's no real "message" in THL. Heck, I sort of prefer Black Hawk Down's jingoistic sentiment simply because it had the guts to say something, or at the very least provokes discussion about the American involvement. THL just sort of "presents" the Iraq War and some scenarios but it's terrified to make any commentary on our presence there.

GhaleonEB said:
This also describes Wall-E, IMO. Pixar has really dropped off lately.

Up's coronation as best animated film is just sad; Coraline really deserves it.

Oh wow, BB. -10,000 respect points for that one. Cloudy was garbage, even my kids didn't like it. I'd rather see one of the Ice Age movies, and I thought they were all utterly terrible.

Wow, really? I don't know what to say, man. I very much admired Coraline from a visual standpoint. It's absolutely amazing. But storywise it was very simplistic and contained. Cloudy, sure, was a very pure comedy, but it was a fantastic one, which wasn't surprising considering its Clone High pedigree.

And I still feel Up was better than Coraline in a whole host of ways.

CassSept

I have a question about the ceremony. How long into the show do usually the important awards (as in, from screenplay on)? It will be the middle of the night here and I'd like to see these ones (go IB!), and am not interested in the previous ones.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
Halfway to 2/3s of the way through maybe.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
CassSept said:
I have a question about the ceremony. How long into the show do usually the important awards (as in, from screenplay on)? It will be the middle of the night here and I'd like to see these ones (go IB!), and am not interested in the previous ones.

They do best supporting actor/actress in the beginning, then do some of the boring technical ones, then do best actor/actress, screenplay, director, and picture.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
The hate for Up is asinine. It was a fantastic movie and was much more consistent than Wall-E. Coraline, while a visual masterpiece, had a pretty mediocre plot, same with the Secret of Kells. I would certainly rate Cloudy above either of them, but it's brand of comedy doesn't stretch across a wide demographic.

Avatar is pretty overrated. And like one poster said hurt locker contains no inherent message in it.

District 9 and IB are the best movies of 2009.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
I think it was a poor year to expand it to 10 noms. You have shit that isn't going to be remember 5 years from now like Precious, Up in the Air, Hurt Locker...mixed with embarrassingly bad attempts at the popular vote; Avatar, Blindside, and Up. Basically allot of blah in the pool with only two films that feel like they deserve it. 2006 or 2007 would have made for a better argument if they wanted to expand it to 10.

Also, Yeah for Black Hawk Down mention! I loved it

ColR100

So so looking forward to the Oscars tonight. Thought it was still another few weeks away, and because of UK time I'll be sitting up through the early morning hours and just hope I'm all good with some coffee during work tomorrow morning.

Because of the way voting has changed I really can't see Avatar winning best picture.

I feel Hurt Locker is pretty bang on to outright win that. Would love an Inglourious Basterds shock win also, but only chance of that happening is if the Avatar/Hurt Locker fan judges out right go against the other one........could very well happen though.

'A Prophet' best win Foreign Language Film as well. Easily one of the best films I've seen in the past 12 months.

eXistor

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Somebody earlier called A Serious Man a mid-tier Coen Brothers film, which is a level of crazy I can't even begin to diagnose.
Agreed, I have to admit I wasn't sure about it before I saw it. Now that I've seen it, it's up there with the best of the Coens, which is saying a lot.

Xater

Divvy said:
The hate for Up is asinine. It was a fantastic movie and was much more consistent than Wall-E. Coraline, while a visual masterpiece, had a pretty mediocre plot, same with the Secret of Kells. I would certainly rate Cloudy above either of them, but it's brand of comedy doesn't stretch across a wide demographic.

I don't understand the hate either. I loved it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom