• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2010 Academy Awards of Something Something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zophar

eXistor said:
Agreed, I have to admit I wasn't sure about it before I saw it. Now that I've seen it, it's up there with the best of the Coens, which is saying a lot.
If you didn't think A Serious Man was amazing, you probably didn't understand it.

(not talking to you directly, just making a blanket statement about dissenters)

Also, I too think Up was better than Coraline, and this is coming from a Selick and a Gaiman fan. I don't remember the last time I was so emotionally captivated by a movie.

Xater said:
I don't understand the hate either. I loved it.
UP was fantastic movie for first 20 minutes after that it was mediocre movie mostly. If we are talking about animation other movies are much better no doubt. AS far movie goes up is not comparable to wall-e or ratatouille. Other nomination in the category are great and even better in my opinion.

This is going to be a trainwreck. First time in years I won't sacrifice my TV as a bet. I can see them going with the favorite, underdog, or random choices. No one will be satisfied in the end.

Calcaneus

You know, I have The Hurt Locker with me right now. I got it yesterday since its one of the last of the best picture nominees that I haven't seen.

And I'm still not sure if I should devote the afternoon to seeing it. For a movie that everyone calls overrated, there sure seems to be a lot of negative reactions to it on the internet.

kingkitty

Calcaneus said:
You know, I have The Hurt Locker with me right now. I got it yesterday since its one of the last of the best picture nominees that I haven't seen.

And I'm still not sure if I should devote the afternoon to seeing it. For a movie that everyone calls overrated, there sure seems to be a lot of negative reactions to it on the internet.
Just watch it and make up your own mind.

Timber

Dresden said:
Or you could just be grasping for things that aren't actually there.
you posted that link earlier when the ending of the movie was brought up. i didn't reply, because to me it is perfectly clear that there is something there. my interpretation might not be flawless, and if it isn't then i'm glad to discuss and share analyses with anyone who's interested, but it seems that very few people are. many criticisms have been leveled at the hurt locker, but people seem to favour rampant reductionism and negligible nitpicking over actual analysis.

when james is with his family near the end of the movie, only to end up returning to action, there's a reason for it. when heavy metal action movie riffs are playing while just minutes ago he has abandoned his wife and child again, and has in fact been portrayed as unscrupulous, unheroic and suffering a disconnect with reality throughout the movie, then there is actually no reason to believe that this isn't subversive.

the fact that the hurt locker consists mostly of action scenes doesn't make it just an action movie.

Zophar said:
What is the message of The Hurt Locker?
'message' is too constrictive. it examines what it means to be a soldier and what it means to fight in a war. through the character of james it deconstructs the romantic ideas we might have of combat and by juxtaposing him with his surroundings it shows the repercussions when these ideas are carried through.

you can disagree with me on all these points; you can think the movie is about something else entirely and you can be of the opinion that these themes are not carried over effectively. that's fine. but if you say "these things aren't there" and leave it at that, then you have nothing to say about the movie and your opinion can be dismissed.

Calcaneus said:

Please point me to ANYTHING critically acclaimed that doesn't get shit on the Internet. That's a pretty pathetic reason to not watch a movie FYI. But yes, wait until it wins Best Pic and the real backlash/trolling begins..

GhaleonEB

BenjaminBirdie said:
Wow, really? I don't know what to say, man. I very much admired Coraline from a visual standpoint. It's absolutely amazing. But storywise it was very simplistic and contained. Cloudy, sure, was a very pure comedy, but it was a fantastic one, which wasn't surprising considering its Clone High pedigree.

And I still feel Up was better than Coraline in a whole host of ways.
I usually line up pretty closely with your opinions, so I was suprised to see you not only liking Cloudy, but not digging Coraline. Guess we can't agree all the time. :lol

Here's where I came down on the three movies:

Cloudy went for cheap, hyperkenitic laughs at every opportunity, and dragged on far too long. All the characters were paper thin, the plot was a mess and overall it felt like some cheap crap that Fox Animation would crank out. No substance, nothing to hold on to. It was one of the worst movies I saw last year. And like I said, even my kids didn't like it, and they like everything. It was rolling through our local theater last week and we had passes - but they wanted to stay home rather than see it again. That just doesn't happen. Personally, I was delighted. I really hated the movie, and I don't hate many movies.

As for Coraline, I admire the courage of its convictions: the movie is scary. Not scary in the "boo" sense, but downright unsettling in both premise and tone. The lead character is interesting in that she's a very good portrayal of a kid: she's not nice, she's selfish, she's naive - and brave. The story, characters and themes are nuanced and the visuals are remarkable throughout. It's got something to say, and doesn't pull its punches in saying it.

Up does pull its punches. It had me when the old man was going on this fantastic journey of exploration and dreams deferred no more after his wife's death, and lost me with the wacky bird and talking dogs and old men who alternate between being old men and Indiana Jones (in the same scene!). Like Coraline, it has a fantastic premise, but Up pulls back half way through. It layers on sight gags and wacky characters (talking dogs in biplanes making Star Wars references? WTF, Pixar?), burying the heart of the story and muddying the metaphor that's central to the film. I thought it was half brilliant, half blown opportunity. Mind you, I liked it overall. But best animated picture of the year? Nope.

JGS

Banned
WrikaWrek said:
The whole movie, Avatar is cliche after cliche, it's a deja vu. District 9 had uncommon main characters, it was harsher, the transformation to the main character isn't all rainbows, and the situation in which aliens are placed on earth isn't a simple been there done that, New World Pocahontas situation.

There was nothing spectacular about any character in District 9 except the main character & that was because he was a nerd. The villians were beyond cardboard and actually paper thin. I didn't buy the love story either. Harsher sci-fi has not been new since Alien or even 2001.

The placement of the aliens was the most disappointing aspect. After the wonderful documentary intro, it was pretty clear that this film had no intention of actually addressing the neat concept it started. It turned into a standard low budget action movie that was held up by the setting. I would be sincerely interested to know how you thought it wasn't been there done that.

Good lord, I'm making it sound like I hated the movie which I did not. However, it's not Oscar worthy.

WrikaWrek said:
And still i don't understand what you are trying to say about The Hurt Lockers votes, it's so weird, do you think that the public votes for these movies or something? The movie has won every award worth its salt so far. That's why people think it can win.

I've made myself clear several times now. The voting academy is not too much different than the viewing public. They like what they like. The reality is that despist the love Hurt Locker gets, it got no word of mouth, no interest at all really except from critics & guilds, but not necessarily all of them. A film under those conditions is normally considered a longshot at best. A film that has grossed less than 20 million at the box office and not exactly lighting up the DVD market and not talked about anywhere but the media circles has about as much chance as an actual Iraqi film does...usually.

The reason I said that I could not see it winning is a result of that. However and again, I also said that I could be wrong because it has won so many awards...which generates buzz. But the critic and guild awards don't necessarily match up with the Oscars. If it wins the Oscar, it's because of the politics imo. I will stand by my view as much as you stand by the one that all the critics who loved Avatar are dead wrong for their admiration of a cliche riddled movie.

WrikaWrek said:
And only Saving Private Ryan is in place to equal/surprass Hurt Locker as thrill ride. Platoon and Thin Red Line don't work at all, as action movies.

Disagree only that Hurt Locker was suspenseful at all. I don't think that was the point. Saving Private Ryan had MUCH more suspense because it's intro explained the haphazardness of war better. Although it was unlikely that Hank's character would die, the ensemble could easily be seen as dead meat...
which wasn't far from the truth including Hanks.

Did anyone honestly think after the intro that any three of the main characters were going to kick the bucket before the ending? Seriously? It was standard movie making outline.
They even had the biggest explosion saved for the ending near their last day of tour for goodness sake!

Zophar

Hurt Locker spoilers abound, scroll on by if you haven't seen it.

Timber said:
'message' is too constrictive. it examines what it means to be a soldier and what it means to fight in a war. through the character of james it deconstructs the romantic ideas we might have of combat and by juxtaposing him with his surroundings it shows the repercussions when these ideas are carried through.

you can disagree with me on all these points; you can think the movie is about something else entirely and you can be of the opinion that these themes are not carried over effectively. that's fine. but if you say "these things aren't there" and leave it at that, then you have nothing to say about the movie and your opinion can be dismissed.

What deconstruction is being made, exactly? The character goes through no real development, he is almost literally right where he started at the beginning of the movie in the final scene. If anything the romantic ideals are reinforced; this is notated by everything from his devil may care attitude about protocol during the carbomb sequence to his reckless determination to be a real American hero during the nighttime/alleyway scene and even his glorified return to the front lines as the hard rock guitar wails over the footage. He never suffers any real consequences for his actions, the worst being mistakenly firing on a friendly and injuring him.

We can't really say the film deconstructs anything because it lacks thesis. Bigelow has a story here but doesn't provide anything conclusive as to what points the movie may/may not be making.

If you guys think that The Hurt Locker wouldn't be getting a lot of awards attention if it was released in another year, you're crazy. The notion that it's some mediocre movie that's only getting any hype because this was a mediocre year (another falsehood) is unfounded and untenable.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
The big statement to me in Hurt Locker was the crazy bomb guy having no outlet for his thoughts/emotions back home. Not being able to communicate what went on over there. Big oversimplification, but that's the point that hit me the most.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
DevelopmentArrested said:
Boring? Really? The Hurt Locker? That's like calling Avatar ugly.
the high tension moments were good early on, then it just got milked. the acting in general was good though

neoism

Shit I just realize it was tonight! I really want Avatar to win Picture and Director. I'm amazed THL even got nominated, it wasn't that great! Is this the Official thread?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
neoism said:
Shit I just realize it was tonight! I really want Avatar to win Picture and Director. I'm amazed THL even got nominated, it wasn't that great! Is this the Official thread?
Did you just watch hurt locker for the Kate parts? :lol

gerg

I feel quite lonely in considering Up one of my favourite Pixar films. I really do think that the film is quite beautiful, although death (in a sentimental manner) in a film always gets me.

In any case, this thread has only further convinced me of the uselessness of a "Best Picture" comparison in the first place, or at least that the title won't be served well.

Gilgamesh

gerg said:
I feel quite lonely in considering Up one of my favourite Pixar films. I really do think that the film is quite beautiful, although death (in a sentimental manner) in a film always gets me.
I actually think it's one of Pixar's best myself, if that's any consolation.

neoism

mattiewheels said:
Did you just watch hurt locker for the Kate parts? :lol
No, I didn't know she was in it. Hell she only had like a 3 minute part.:lol Not sure why I didn't like it, the lead actor is good, but a little annoying. It just didn't have anything that made it standout. I was reaally surprised to see it nominated!

neoism said:
No, I didn't know she was in it. Hell she only had like a 3 minute part.:lol Not sure why I didn't like it, the lead actor is good, but a little annoying. It just didn't have anything that made it standout. I was reaally surprised to see it nominated!

It's one of the best-rated films of the year, critically. It being nominated is about the least surprising thing in the world.

Avatar will win best picture, it's too important to the industry to not win. Cameron may get best director as well, but that's not a lock.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
gerg said:

In any case, this thread has only further convinced me of the uselessness of a "Best Picture" comparison in the first place, or at least that the title won't be served well.
it's my favorite too and right behind avatar for best picture

gerg

Gilgamesh said:
I actually think it's one of Pixar's best myself, if that's any consolation.

-COOLIO- said:
it's my favorite too and right behind avatar for best picture

Internet high-five!

And, now that I think about it, I'm reminded of Brad Bird when he said that "animation" is not a genre. /facepalm

mattiewheels

neoism said:
Definitely, it's overrated but a good rental. Not sure why people think it's this great.

mattiewheels said:
Definitely, it's overrated but a good rental. Not sure why people think it's this great.

It's the best film yet made about the Iraq War and is simultaneously a great action movie and a deconstruction of the action genre itself. Plus, Jeremy Renner gives a great performance.

Tobor

ryutaro's mama said:
If it does win, I await your bitter tears.

Wah, wah, wah.

I'm not going to cry about it. :lol

It's just another year where an undeserving movie wins. Happens from time to time. No biggie.

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
gerg said:

Up is near the top of the pack in terms of Pixar films. I have a hard time deciding whether I like Up more, or Ratatouille.

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
It's the best film yet made about the Iraq War
Gulf War(s) not included? Because Jarhead is definitely on-par, Three Kings is probably better (though it's been a while since I saw it).

Timber

Zophar said:
What deconstruction is being made, exactly? The character goes through no real development, he is almost literally right where he started at the beginning of the movie in the final scene. If anything the romantic ideals are reinforced; this is notated by everything from his devil may care attitude about protocol during the carbomb sequence to his reckless determination to be a real American hero during the nighttime/alleyway scene and even his glorified return to the front lines as the hard rock guitar wails over the footage. He never suffers any real consequences for his actions, the worst being mistakenly firing on a friendly and injuring him.

We can't really say the film deconstructs anything because it lacks thesis. Bigelow has a story here but doesn't provide anything conclusive as to what points the movie may/may not be making.
more spoilers ahead

I think he does go through some development, but to have him change his ways too much would contradict the point. The opening states that war is a drug to James. I have been reluctant to mention this theme because there seems to be a tendency to consider it the Alpha and Omega of the movie, but if James were to undergo significant changes then 'war is a drug' would be false. He is stuck in a constant cycle of having to satisfy his desire, and him being a bomb expert as well as the very nature of war acts as an enabler. The subplot of his relationship with Beckham and the scene where his recklessness brings harm to Eldridge give him pause, and give a chance for the audience to do so as well, but by this point James is so far gone that even these events can't jerk him away from his addiction.

And I completely disagree that the movie reinforces romantic ideals. I think it's a great movie because it rejects and subverts these ideals. James never does outward harm to himself, but it's clear that his psychology is warped. Who he does damage (much like any abuser of substances or other drugs) is those around him. It starts off almost innocently with him punching Sanborn because he doesn't allow himself to lose a fight (which he is unable to figure out, isn't really a fight at all). Later on it takes on more serious forms: he indirectly causes an injury to Eldridge and, in the end, he leaves behind his family and therefore any semblance of a healthy life. These episodes illustrate his sinking deeper and deeper into his addiction.

When he leads the two other guys into action, he might think it's heroic and just, but the results are disastrous. The hard rock at the end is subtly ironic. All the other characters in the movie have chosen to live life, but James remains in an action movie, hurting everyone around him in the process.

All this isn't presented in a manner that's very in-your-face, but it's certainly there.

edit: edited four times now because my grammar is dire. cheframsay said what i meant to say but much more succinct.

Biff

The Hurt Locker spoilers in my response below:

Zophar said:
The character goes through no real development, he is almost literally right where he started at the beginning of the movie in the final scene.
That is the character development right there! We don't understand his dedication until the final shot of him redeploying into Iraq. Throughout the film, he's this reckless shell of a man who the viewer is left to question his motives as an EOD technician - is it just a sick game to him? We only understand it isn't at the final scene.
Zophar said:
The first thing we see in THL is the following quotation:

"The rush of battle is a potent and often lethal addiction, for war is a drug."

I don't understand how clearer you could be with a thesis than by opening your movie with it. THL then proceeds to investigate this idea of something as horrible as war being potentially addictive to some soldiers through situations where an adrenaline junkie makes reckless decisions to get his high. When he is thrown back into an average, boring, safe life, his addiction calls him back to the battlefield.

Most of this year's awards are largely predictable although I'm curious to see whether the "weighted" ballot for Best Picture voting produces a surprise.

Between the two frontrunners, I'm pulling for Avatar to win. I enjoyed The Hurt Locker but it taking home the biggest award of the night will discredit the Academy's new initiative to show that it has not fallen out of touch with the American moviegoer. 99% of the folks watching tonight will not have watched THL (aka 'The Irresponsible Captain Tylor defuses bombs') and it winning Best Picture will simply carry on the tradition of elitism that has tarnished the prestige of the Oscar trophy. (Bigelow is a lock for Best Director and she deserves it.)

Will be happy to see Inglourious Basterds win for screenplay & Christoph Waltz. Rioting will be justified if it does not.

Would have liked to have seen Coraline win Best Animated Feature but there's no way that's happening.

Dresden

B-Rad Lascelle said:
Most of this year's awards are largely predictable although I'm curious to see whether the "weighted" ballot for Best Picture voting produces a surprise.

Between the two frontrunners, I'm pulling for Avatar to win. I enjoyed The Hurt Locker but it taking home the biggest award of the night will discredit the Academy's new initiative to show that it has not fallen out of touch with the American moviegoer. 99% of the folks watching tonight will not have watched THL (aka 'The Irresponsible Captain Tylor gets a rush out of defusing bombs') and it winning Best Picture will simply carry on the tradition of elitism that has tarnished the prestige of the Oscar trophy.

Will be happy to see Inglourious Basterds win for screenplay & Christoph Waltz. Rioting will be justified if it does not.

Would have liked to have seen Coraline win Best Animated Feature but there's no way that's happening.
wut

B-Rad Lascelle said:

Between the two frontrunners, I'm pulling for Avatar to win. I enjoyed The Hurt Locker but it taking home the biggest award of the night will discredit the Academy's new initiative to show that it has not fallen out of touch with the American moviegoer. 99% of the folks watching tonight will not have watched THL (aka 'The Irresponsible Captain Tylor defuses bombs') and it winning Best Picture will simply carry on the tradition of elitism that has tarnished the prestige of the Oscar trophy.

Since when does the Oscar's prestige come from commercially popular movies winning? If anything, Avatar winning will damage the award's prestige because there were a number of better movies released last year.

Dresden

gdt5016 said:
That's exactly what the 10-nominess thing is. The Academy trying to raise ratings and showing the general audience that they aren't elitists.
But he's saying that Avatar NEEDS to win, which is ridiculous. The Best Picture doesn't necessarily reward the best picture that year, but the spirit of it is that it does.

I still think Avatar will win.

Gigglepoo

B-Rad Lascelle said:
it winning Best Picture will simply carry on the tradition of elitism that has tarnished the prestige of the Oscar trophy.

Why is "elitism" a bad thing? Only the elite performances should be rewarded.

Enosh

B-Rad Lascelle said:

Between the two frontrunners, I'm pulling for Avatar to win. I enjoyed The Hurt Locker but it taking home the biggest award of the night will discredit the Academy's new initiative to show that it has not fallen out of touch with the American moviegoer. 99% of the folks watching tonight will not have watched THL (aka 'The Irresponsible Captain Tylor defuses bombs') and it winning Best Picture will simply carry on the tradition of elitism that has tarnished the prestige of the Oscar trophy. (Bigelow is a lock for Best Director and she deserves it.)
so by your idea the academy should just give the award each year to the movie with the highest number of people that saw it?

Defcon

Banned
Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
If anything, Avatar winning will damage the award's prestige because there were a number of better movies released last year.

Since when does the actual better film win Best Picture?

My movie of 2009 wasn't nominated for best picture so I really don't care who takes it but would be happy if Inglourious Basterds takes it. But my money is on The Hurt Locker winning.

IB should at least win Original Screenplay & Best Supporting Actor

Tobor

The Oscars are supposed to be elitist. It's an academy voting, not an internet poll. The general populace should have nothing to do with the decision.

That said, it does, and every few years a popular pick wins out over critical opinion. These years should be seen as mistakes, not steps in the right direction.

Gigglepoo said:
Why is "elitism" a bad thing? Only the elite performances should be rewarded.

Blame politics for ruining a perfectly appropriate word.

gdt

Tobor said:
The Oscars are supposed to be elitist. It's an academy voting, not an internet poll. The general populace should have nothing to do with the decision.

That said, it does, and every few years a popular pick wins out over critical opinion. These years should be seen as mistakes, not steps in the right direction.

From the Academy's view, the more elitist they are seen as...the lower ratings they get and the lower general interest is.

So, they've started to try to combat that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom