• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2010 Academy Awards of Something Something

Status
Not open for further replies.

border

Gotta love the ridiculously broad populist sentiment that the winner should be the movie that is "more entertaining" or "more fun to watch" :lol Fuck Schindler's list, they shoulda given it to Groundhog Day!

ahoyhoy said:
Was I the only one who thought District 9 was robbed? Didn't win a damn thing despite being the best Sci-Fi movie of the last few years.

Sci-fi moves don't win awards sadly. It never had a chance but I was glad it got nominated.

stupei

Did I misread or did someone a few pages back actually say that The Hurt Locker will be as forgettable as Annie Hall? I can't find it now, so maybe I made that shit up, because that makes no sense.

wizword said:
It is the #1 film of all time. It is obviously going to be appealing sincen it appealed so well for our generation.

It's #1 because of the hype and because it had the 3D gimmick going for it.

It's not Star Wars.

And for the record i'm a fan of Cameron's older work like Terminator and Aliens (all were better than Avatar)

LQX

MIMIC said:
Before I go to bed:

Congrats on Precious getting its 2 awards. Sucks that Inglourious Basterds only got a Supporting Actor win, but whatever. The Hurt Locker was OK but I wouldn't have given it Best Picture; I thought IB and Precious were superior films.....but NOTHING this year blew me away. Maybe next year.

Didn't see Avatar but it not winning kinda makes things right in the world with me: I HONESTLY wanted to want to go see it (and judge it impartially) but I was never once compelled to see this movie, other than for the "zomg 3D" hype. The technical awards are mightily deserved by most accounts, so congrats to Avatar on that front.

Felt the same way. I thought those two were the best of the bunch but I'm ok with it winning.

AstroMan

Banned
wizword said:
Waltz with bashir came out in 2008 and was a much better war film than hurt locker. I came in with no expectations of hurt locker and came out thinking the movie sucked.

I was speaking in the realm of non-documentaries. A war documentary will always be better than a fiction war film.

Shurs

Out of the Best Picture nominees, I saw District 9, Up, Inglourious Basterds and The Hurt Locker.

I felt that The Hurt Locker was the best picture of the lot.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
omg rite said:
So you didn't think Avatar should have won either, right?

Avatar was a psychological thriller about the mental breakdown of a man who has just lost his only family, and suffered a crippling injury. He creates this fantasy world where he can do anything and finds a new family.

..You didn't think were we supposed to take Floating mountains and blue cat people seriously, did you?

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
OneEightZero said:
I'll bite. Who should have been nominated/won? ^_^

That's the point. It's possible that none of them belong but they're the best of what we had. Couldn't have had a worse year to go to the 10 nomination format.

Eventually people will bitch about the Academy's anti-CG stance so much that they will give it to some shit remake of Wall-E 10 years from now (and snub Avatar 2 and 3 along the way, of course) and then act like they did us all a favor.

Teddman

border said:
If Hollywood is so scared of CG performance capture, why was Avatar nominated in the first place?
Yeah, I mean, look at all the acting noms it got.

Here's some background for you:

'Avatar's' animated acting: Hollywood debates whether film work used by actors such as Zoe Saldana for computer-generated characters deserves equal recognition.
LA Times said:
Director James Cameron had many reasons to be happy the morning that this year's Oscar nominations were announced; his blockbuster film "Avatar" tied for the most with nine, including best picture and best director. But he was dismayed that his cast, including stars Zoe Saldana, Sam Worthington and Sigourney Weaver, was shut out.

In fact, unlike the great majority of best picture nominees, the "Avatar" actors have not nabbed a single major critic's award, or guild prize. The snubs reflect the apparent ambivalence of the film community -- especially actors -- to "Avatar" and its revolutionary use of "performance capture," a new technology that combines human actors with computer-generated animation to create the blue, 10-foot-tall creatures who are the heart of the movie.

To the uninitiated, it raises basic questions: Is this acting, or is it animation? And, does this suggest that actors could become obsolete? It's an issue that provokes a strong response from Hollywood figures, from best actor nominees Jeff Bridges and Jeremy Renner, to directors Cameron and Steven Spielberg.

"I'm sure they could do it now if they wanted. Actors will kind of be a thing of the past," Bridges told The Times the day nominations were announced.
"We'll be turned into combinations. A director will be able to say, 'I want 60% Clooney; give me 10% Bridges; and throw some Charles Bronson in there.' They'll come up with a new guy who will look like nobody who has ever lived and that person or thing will be huge," he said.

Renner, nominated for "The Hurt Locker," put it this way: "Some movies are actors' kind of movies and some movies are more directors' movies. 'Avatar' is a spectacle. It's a beautiful experience, but it's not really an actors' kind of movie. It doesn't really allow for an actor to truly tell a story. The director's telling the story in that one."

Perhaps mindful that actors make up the largest Oscar voting bloc, Cameron fiercely promotes the contributions of his cast to the success of "Avatar." He and other advocates of performance capture (known as "motion capture" in its previous, less sophisticated incarnation), including Spielberg, say not enough actors have experienced the process to appreciate it.

"There's a learning curve for the acting community, and they're not up to speed yet," Cameron said. "We didn't get out and proselytize with the Screen Actors Guild as we probably should have to raise awareness. Not only should they not be afraid of it, they should be excited about it. There is a new set of possibilities, after a century of doing movie acting in the same way."

Dresden

DrForester said:
Avatar was a psychological thriller about the mental breakdown of a man who has just lost his only family, and suffered a crippling injury. He creates this fantasy world where he can do anything and finds a new family.

..You didn't think were we supposed to take Floating mountains and blue cat people seriously, did you?
Squall dies, too.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
OneEightZero said:
Most of it's 'make up' was CG?

And, to be honest, this is why there's an argument to give the visual effects award to D9 over Avatar. There was an awful lot in District 9 that I would have believed was done with practical effects and not CG. That's one of the hallmarks of great effects work as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not saying it should have won over Avatar. I haven't seen it (tried to last week before it left Imax, the showing was sold out) but I'm assuming it deserved this win. There's an argument to be made for what District 9 did though.

On another note, can anybody provide me with the GIF of Peter Moore getting his bitter tears licked by his old Nintendo girlfriend? For the life of me I can't remember her name. It just sums up my emotions right now and I would love to post it.

WrikaWrek

Banned
DrForester said:

Avatar is actually the story of a punk ass bitch that betrayed humanity for a pair of legs.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
PantherLotus said:
That's the point. It's possible that none of them belong but they're the best of what we had. Couldn't have had a worse year to go to the 10 nomination format.

Nomination issues aside, I'm genuinely curious what YOU would have liked to win this year. ^_^

Raxus

The Crimson Blur said:
Eventually people will bitch about the Academy's anti-CG stance so much that they will give it to some shit remake of Wall-E 10 years from now (and snub Avatar 2 and 3 along the way, of course) and then act like they did us all a favor.
This is why Lord of the Rings would never ever win Best Picture.

MThanded said:
So now that Hurt Locker cleaned up do you think that guy who is suing them has a better or worse chance of getting his money?
dblflx.jpg

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
KHarvey16 said:
I don't see the point in rewarding what is essentially a guy setting up these enormous challenges for himself and producing something that excels in one facet of film while doing nothing else that would even get noticed by the lowliest clerk working blockbusters straight to DVD aisle. It's a beautiful film and I enjoyed it for that reason, but that's all it has going for itself. That's it.

weren't you guys talking about the best director catagory?

directorially, special effects has very little to do with it.

he had to give a very precise vision for a world that didnt exist, and manage and use new tech, manage a larger cast, more set pieces etc.. The action scenes were also amazingly well done. they were literally amazing for me.

ZeoVGM

Banned
mac said:
The Hangover was only good because of Zach Galifinkis and 'Nard Dawg. The plot, other castmates and story only held them back. It was not great comedy. It was stifling and slow.

I don't agree. The Hangover is one of the best comedies of the decade.

Tobor said:
District 9 is better than Avatar. District 9 is not better than Star Wars. Therefore...

This.

Clearly this thread is madness when people start to claim that Avatar is on Star Wars level. I don't know if it will ever be Star Trek level in terms of sci-fi franchises.

KHarvey16

-COOLIO- said:

he had to give a very precise vision for a world that didnt exist, and manage and use new tech. The action scenes were also amazingly well done. they were literally amazing for me.

Exactly, the special effects were good. If you say special effects have very little to do with it then you've just made my argument for me.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Archaix said:
And, to be honest, this is why there's an argument to give the visual effects award to D9 over Avatar. There was an awful lot in District 9 that I would have believed was done with practical effects and not CG. That's one of the hallmarks of great effects work as far as I'm concerned.

I'm not saying it should have won over Avatar. I haven't seen it (tried to last week before it left Imax, the showing was sold out) but I'm assuming it deserved this win. There's an argument to be made for what District 9 did though.

As the technology gets better and better, it's going to be damned near impossible for a Best Picture winner NOT to have CG in it. That's why I believe Avatar didn't lose because of it's CGI. It can't be the deciding factor anymore.

Dresden

Tobor said:
District 9 is better than Avatar. District 9 is not better than Star Wars. Therefore...
District 9 is better than Avatar or Star Wars. It obviously won't be loved or remembered like the other two, but as a film, it's better. As a commodity or property, or even as a seperate universe, Star Wars is clearly superior. But asides from Empire Strikes Back, D9 >>> Star Wars.

Raxus

-COOLIO- said:

he had to give a very precise vision for a world that didnt exist, and manage and use new tech. The action scenes were also amazingly well done. they were literally amazing for me.
The scenes dragged and it could of used some good editing though. James is one for large scale films though and Titanic proved that mashing two storylines together.

richiek

steals Justin Bieber DVDs
SpeedingUptoStop said:
Of all the absolutely insane things said in the past couple pages, this takes the cake.

There's a pretty sizable amount of posters who think that IB is highly overrated.

Raxus said:
This is why Lord of the Rings would never ever win Best Picture.

I didn't walk away from LOTR thinking it was a "CG film" like a Avatar or a Toys Story. I thought of it as a film with good CG.

Thats where the Academy draws the line. And thats why they are bullshit. They'd make shit black and white again if they could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom