• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2010 Academy Awards of Something Something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tobor

Raistlin said:
Well, I haven't seen all the other movies to really say either way.

While I do think his point has some merit (the original point regarding voting), I also wouldn't be surprised if there was a better movie than Avatar last year.

Well, I've seen three of the other nominees, and they were all better than Avatar, so I wouldn't be surprised to find out more of them were as well.

A.O. Scott said:
No great surprises in the end, but a reminder that 2009 was a pretty good year for movies, and also that sometimes the persistence of critics — who would not shut up about “The Hurt Locker” from the fall of 2008 until now — can have some effect. I don’t say this to pat myself or my colleagues on the back, but only to point out that sometimes even in Hollywood money and hype and spin are not entirely decisive. “The Hurt Locker” is an honest, tough, well-made movie. The Academy got it right: not something I’m used to saying.
A.O. Scott :bow. Hurt Locker :bow.

I would have liked to see Inglourious Basterds win for best original screenplay. Sandra Bullock's speech was perfect and hilarious. Christoph Waltz :bow. Precious :bow.

Great movies, great performances. 2009 was a year of fine film-making and performances. Good stuff. Most memorable for me was the first twenty minutes of Up.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
AFreak said:
So, I'm in CHina as most of you know, so someone answer these questions for me please.

1) Did Sandra Bullock talk at all about her Razzie win during her acception speech?

2) What exactly did Tom hanks do that was so awesome?

3) Did Clooney get anything because of Fantastic Mr. Fox or Up in the Air?

4)More of a statement, but THE HURT LOCKER IS FUCKING AWESOME.

Hater's gonna hate...

1) Nope

2) He didn't fuck around for ten minutes before reading the winner. He came out and read that shit. :boss

3) Nope. He was pretty hilarious tonight, though.

4) Excellent statement. ^_^

Calcaneus

I feel like Tarantino is gonna be another one that the Oscars never gets right while he's in his prime, only to give it to him in his 60s.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
UltimaPooh said:
The downstairs bar didn't do anything for ya?

The downstairs bar scene WAS on par with the opening sequence, with my only complaint being that it seemed to take go on just a little too long to build, then sustain, the suspense, making it less impactful than it could've been. The farm house scene just had perfect pacing for me to the payoff...

McNei1y

AFreak said:
So, I'm in CHina as most of you know, so someone answer these questions for me please.

1) Did Sandra Bullock talk at all about her Razzie win during her acception speech?

2) What exactly did Tom hanks do that was so awesome?

3) Did Clooney get anything because of Fantastic Mr. Fox or Up in the Air?

4)More of a statement, but THE HURT LOCKER IS FUCKING AWESOME.

Hater's gonna hate...

I can only answer 1 and 2

1. No she didn't

2. Tom Hanks walked up, said a statement about Casablanca and how 10 movies were up for Best Picture in 1943. Then immediately Tom Hanks said who the winner was for Best Picture. Took like 25 seconds.

MIMIC

Banned
Before I go to bed:

Congrats on Precious getting its 2 awards. Sucks that Inglourious Basterds only got a Supporting Actor win, but whatever. The Hurt Locker was OK but I wouldn't have given it Best Picture; I thought IB and Precious were superior films.....but NOTHING this year blew me away. Maybe next year.

Didn't see Avatar but it not winning kinda makes things right in the world with me: I HONESTLY wanted to want to go see it (and judge it impartially) but I was never once compelled to see this movie, other than for the "zomg 3D" hype. The technical awards are mightily deserved by most accounts, so congrats to Avatar on that front.

The Crimson Blur said:
Have you even watched Raiders or Star Wars recently? Shit isn't deep. You don't have to have panning vistas and deep stares into space to make broad artistic points. Avatar is a better movie because it was more fun to watch. If someone asked me which movie I'd recommend, I'd say Avatar in a heartbeat.

What the...

Avatar is great, it isn't legendary like Star Wars or Raiders. Hell Avatar isn't even Cameron's best movie.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Spire said:
And the PotC sequels and various Harry Potter films round out the top 10. Look at all the buzz still surrounding those films.
2-10 do not equal number 1. sorry.

did you really just list harry potter as an example? are you stupid? the harry potter is a killer franchise and will not be forgotten

Calcaneus said:
I feel like Tarantino is gonna be another one that the Oscars never gets right while he's in his prime, only to give it to him in his 60s.

If they didn't give it to him for Pulp, he's never getting that shit.

ZeoVGM

Banned
The Crimson Blur said:
In every facet. Every single way you can imagine. Whatever category. Avatar is better, unequivocally.

:lol :lol

Joke post confirmed. Can't even answer the question and just resorts to insane hyperbole.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
ioofvn.jpg

This is how I feel about hurt locker winning picture of the year. Enjoyed the movie it was good but not great IMO. Seems more like a political move than anything else.

Also the guy who sued them is c-walking down the streets of baghdad right about now.

Kunan

Spire said:
And the PotC sequels and various Harry Potter films round out the top 10. Look at all the buzz still surrounding those films.
Tons? You don't have to be at the oscars to have buzz.

harSon

Banned
Calcaneus said:

Hopefully he doesn't croak at a young age, a lot of his inspirations did unfortunately (Sergio Leone and Jean Pierre Melville).

PSGames

WrikaWrek said:
Translation

"Sorry, we just don't give a fuck Cameron, thanks for the ratings though"

Yep pretty much. Every other segment mentioned something about Avatar and James leaves with nothing.

dk_

H.Cornerstone said:
My greatest moment of the Oscars was when my sister asked me why Avatar wasn't nominated for best makeup...

ohh.. and the Hurt Locker winning.
How old is your sister?

Dirtbag

KHarvey16 said:
Are you trying to be as vague as possible?

James Camron.
It's a landmark film, he created a more immersive experience with way more moving parts.

The Hurt Locker was good, and maybe it deserves "Best Picture" more then Avatar did (Precious) but "Best Director" c'mon, rubbish.

wizword

Banned
MiamiWesker said:
What the...

Avatar is great, it isn't legendary like Star Wars or Raiders. Hell Avatar isn't even Cameron's best movie.
Avatar is legendary like star wars. District 9 is going to become a pretty legendary sci-fi film too. I am surprised people think that this isn't going to be a film that 10 years old are goign to watch in 2020. Because I would imagine similar to those movies, avatar will be that for our children generation

MIMIC said:
Didn't see Avatar but it not winning kinda makes things right in the world with me: I HONESTLY wanted to want to go see it (and judge it impartially) but I was never once compelled to see this movie, other than for the "zomg 3D" hype.

Oh for heavens sake, enough with this.

You repeat this same thing over and over in various AVATAR related threads.

We get it, you weren't compelled to go see the movie.

Sheesh.

border

If Hollywood is so scared of CG performance capture, why was Avatar nominated in the first place? And how is CG going to destroy Hollywood? Ignoring that it grossed billions of dollars, it's a capital-intensive endeavor that requires bankrolling that only major studios are capable of providing.

Such dumb excuses, when at the end of the day the Academy just chose taut direction and a gripping relevant story over a special effects extravaganza. That shouldn't be a surprise.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
MThanded said:
http://i50.tinypic.com/ioofvn.jpg[IMG]

This is how I feel about hurt locker winning picture of the year. Enjoyed the movie it was good but not great IMO. Seems more like a political move than anything else.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://i47.tinypic.com/34h8n07.jpg

KHarvey16

Dirtbag said:
James Camron.
It's a landmark film, he created a more immersive experience with way more moving parts.

The Hurt Locker was good, and maybe it deserves "Best Picture" but "Best Director" c'mon, rubbish.

"Moving parts?" Why are all of you doing your best to come up with euphemisms for "it had awesome special effects"?

threenote

Banned
ryutaro's mama said:
Oh for heavens sake, enough with this.

You repeat this same thing over and over in various AVATAR related threads.

We get it, you weren't compelled to go see the movie.

Sheesh.
hey James Cameron, is that you?

noisome07

Banned
maniac-kun said:
i think tom hanks peaked into the award and seen that the hurt locker won and got pissed at that thats why he did it so quick

They were running out of time. They had 3 minutes until 9PM PST/Midnight EST so I'm sure he did it quickly so they wouldn't end at a weird time.

Dresden

MiamiWesker said:
What the...

Avatar is a better movie than Star Wars, prequels or otherwise. The only Star Wars movie that is equal to Avatar is Empire Strikes Back; the rest are all unarguably worse.

People rag on Avatar for not having an original story but Star Wars is essentially archetypes-r-us. It almost cynically exploits them.

Proc

I'm sort of shocked that that hurt locker won as well as it did even though we mostly saw it coming.

I knew inglorious bastards had an uphill battle but I was definitely rooting for it. Very happy with the best supporting actor prize though!

Hurt Locker was a great movie, I'm not sure if I'd place it as my favourite film released this year, but I can see how people can.

I really need to see crazy heart and a serious man.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
BattleMonkey said:
Your seriously comparing Transformers 2 to Avatar?
Way to miss my point. :lol

He said the general public loved Avatar. They also loved Transformers 2, considering how well it did at the box office. There are countless other questionable films people can point out as well if they wish.

wizword said:
Avatar is legendary like star wars. District 9 is going to become a pretty legendary sci-fi film too. I am surprised people think that this isn't going to be a film that 10 years old are goign to watch in 2020. Because I would imagine similar to those movies, avatar will be that for our children generation

Ok true people will be talking about it for a long time. But damn are the older legendary films so much better. :p

And I do believe District 9 will be an all time sci-fi classic. Easily my favorite movie of last year.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I'm glad hurt locker won. It wasn't my favorite movie of the year (An Education), but AVATAR wasn't really fleshed out enough to win overrall for me.

Either way, not such a great year for movies.

The Oscars served to remind me I need to fucking see White Ribbon, The Cove and A Single Man and A Serious MAn. Maybe it was a better year than I think and I just slacked!:D

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Regulus Tera said:
I loved Up as much as I can love a Pixar movie.

Sorry, but Coraline was still better.
My GF and a few other people I know saw coraline and disliked it. Everyone I know loved up.

Spire said:

...I'm pretty sure everyone knows what Pirates of the Carribean and Harry Potter are right now. Tell me, is Crash more culturally relevant or PoTC and Harry Potter.

And those aren't even the highest grossing. Avatar is. Avatar beats them by miles.

Avatar has already reached phenomenon status, if you haven't noticed.

harSon, if you notice, I was gone for pretty much most of the show until the last hour or so because the people I was watching it with left/went to bed. I didn't even post much anyway other than say how happy I was for a movie. I also left because this award shows are always so incredibly scrutinized that no one can just sit back and enjoy it. Everything just has to be PERFECT AND FUCKING HYSTERICAL LOLOLOLO. People can't enjoy anything. I was getting annoyed, so I left. I tuned back in around Giacchino winning and it wasn't going on as much.

And now I'm gone, you wonderful prick.

McNei1y said:
Tom Hanks walked up, said a statement about Casablanca and how 10 movies were up for Best Picture in 1943. Then immediately Tom Hanks said who the winner was for Best Picture. Took like 25 seconds.

^ My personal highlight. 2011 host confirmed?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Dresden said:
Avatar is a better movie than Star Wars, prequels or otherwise. The only Star Wars movie that is equal to Avatar is Empire Strikes Back; the rest are all unarguably worse.

It's pretty arguable. A New Hope is more enjoyable. Of course everything after Empire is lol.

MThanded said:
ioofvn.jpg

This is how I feel about hurt locker winning picture of the year. Enjoyed the movie it was good but not great IMO. Seems more like a political move than anything else.

So you didn't think Avatar should have won either, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom