• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2010 Academy Awards of Something Something

Status
Not open for further replies.

harSon

Banned
Amir0x said:
Christoph Waltz by itself embodies a villain that is worth the sum total of five billion Stephan Lang's.

Well, Tarantino is much better at creating characters than Cameron so it's not all that surprising.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
tekumseh said:
I'll even go this far: The Fed that Lang played in Public Enemies was a far more fully realized character than the one he played in Avatar, and in that movie he probably didn't have more than 15 lines of dialog...

Agreed.

Timbuktu

tekumseh said:
The two most egregious errors in the awards tonight, IMO, were IB losing the screenplay award and The White Ribbon failing to win best foreign film over El Secreto De Sus Ojos, which I found to be interesting but ultimately pretty forgettable...

ditto. somehow I knew that The White Ribbon and A Prophet wouldn't win, winning at Cannes doesn't help.

Tobor

ryutaro's mama said:
But you agree my gripes are valid, right?

I don't know. I haven't seen the movie since it released and I only saw it once. I only saw Avatar once. I was more entertained by District 9, and felt it had a better story to tell.

Anyway, I'm watching the Kimmel after show, and Robert Downey just showed up. :D

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Talamius said:
I would love THL GAF to explain this one as well. It really seemed like the Academy was looking for an acceptable "Non-Avatar" movie to push through, and it's too bad they picked the wrong one. IB is the superior movie.
People need to quit talking like this. Its fucking embarrassing.
Inglorious Basterds had a lot of weaknesses too. All the films did.
Tarantino deserves to lose for giving such a cool role to fucking ELI ROTH.
ELI ROTH!?
What a waste.

People are actually praising the villian from Avatar? :lol That guy was like all the Army general stereotypes dating back to Full Metal Jacket thrown into a blender and given a character design by Rob Leifeld.

Teddman

I thought Lang was good, there was dimension to the role in his scenes with Worthington. And the man transformed himself for the character. He's an accomplished stage actor and I thought he did very well doing something very different. I'm not sure why my saying he's "one of" the best villains in recent memory somehow means I'm dissing Ledger, Bardem, et al.

But bottom line, what we feel about the merits of the acting in Avatar is a matter of opinion.

That the vast majority of card-carrying actors do not like the mocap trend in Hollywood and that this contributed to Avatar's lack of success tonight is not. And that's what I am trying to get across to you.

Dead

well not really...yet
teiresias said:
The only instance of lowest common denominator here is trying to drag down the category of "Film's Best Villains" in order to include the likes of Lang in Avatar. Absolutely horrible to try and sell that as anything close to the memorable characters and performances that belong in such a category.
Doesnt mean hes a bad villain

He has great charisma, is a staunch badass, and his dialogue while cheesy, perfectly fits the character and you can fully believe that that is how he talks, and his past pretty much tells you exactly what sort of man he is. He may not be the best of all time, but he was definitely memorable and a villain that you loved to hate, and cheer for at the same time.

Also, thats the difference between Cameron and a lot of other writers. His characters may all have cheesy dialogue, but his characters sell it, and it never feels out of place.

Aight I'm done. My tears have run dry for now.

The Academy only gets this kind of reaction out of me once every 5 years. Either I agree with them or I don't care enough to get angry. But this is the most pissed off I can remember ever being at a selection. Fucking bullshit man. Fucking bullshit.

Amir0x

Banned
harSon said:
Well, Tarantino is much better at creating characters than Cameron so it's not all that surprising.

Naturally. But Stephen Lang's villain (Quaritch?) doesn't even begin to make sense in the category of "best villain." He has no unique personality, no driving motivation or memorable dialogue. No dark cloak cast over the characters with his foreboding. He is, at his absolute best, a stereotype built into a plot point, a road block for the main character to reach his ultimate prize.

I'm not even sure what people are latching onto when they defend Stephen Lang's Quaritch. It's not even particularly his fault... the character was just that poorly written.

There are a lot of other things about AVATAR I can at least understand on a superficial level. This point is beyond me however.

wRATH2x

Banned
Quentin Tarantino should have one Best Original Screenplay!

I also find it funny that it took a blonde wig, an accent and melodrama for Sandra Bullock to win :lol

Sandra Bullock you're hot as hell, but Oscar winning actress? Hell Naw!

Dresden

Amir0x said:
Naturally. But Stephen Lang's villain (Quaritch?) doesn't even begin to make sense in the category of "best villain." He has no unique personality, no driving motivation or memorable dialogue. No dark cloak cast over the characters with his foreboding. He is, at his absolute best, a stereotype built into a plot point, a road block for the main character to reach his ultimate prize.

I'm not even sure what people are latching onto when they defend Stephen Lang's Quaritch. It's not even particularly his fault... the character was just that poorly written.
But his mech jumped out of a spaceship.

Socreges

Banned
Academy Award winner Sandra Bullock

really...? this will never sit well with me

i dont know why i dislike her, but.... i just do

i havent even seen the blind side. still, i cant accept this.

CassSept

Amir0x said:
yeah. So was the scene in the restaurant with Shoshana's character. SO INTENSE.
When Landa appeared in the restaurant I heard a few Holy Shits around me in the cinema. So tense. And such an amazing buildup. IMO this scene is better than opening first time you watch the movie.
Basement scene is also incredible.

And Landa speaking italian is a stuff of legends already. In the first three months after release I've heard it quoted over and over again everywhere, by everyone.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Dirtbag said:
Wedding Crashers
Knocked Up
Meet the Fockers
American Pie

Meet the Fockers was terrible. Knocked Up wasn't as good as 40-Year-Old Virgin. The Hangover is also better than Wedding Crashers (overrated) and American Pie.

Meet the Parents
Shaun of the Dead
Old School
Superbad
Harold/Kumar White Castle
40 year old virgin
Zoolander

Hence why I said "one of".

Office Space
Austin Powers 2

Neither of those came out in the past decade.

Finding Nemo
The Incredibles

No one's going to argue the quality of those movies but you really think Finding Nemo is a better comedy than The Hangover?

Dr.Acula

Banned
Mgoblue201 said:
Out of all of the Oscars, I actually thought that best original screenplay was the most unexpected. A lot of Inglourious Basterds was the acting, but a lot of that was also on the page. But The Hurt Locker owes a lot of its existence to things like directing, which it also won for. It's not something that's apparently great with the screenplay. So I would have voted for IB.

Exactly. Avatar had a bunch of fine actors too, but they didn't really have much to do. Every character in IB can hold their scene because they're given a purpose and quality dialog -they're there for reasons beyond, "move the plot to x."

Big-E

Amir0x said:

There are a lot of other things about AVATAR I can at least understand on a superficial level. This point is beyond me however.

I don't see how it is possible either.

MThanded

I watched Hurt Locker and personally I thought it was good not great. I am interested to know what makes people think it was great. I am open to opinions I just am confused about why it was touted as such a masterpiece? There were some good scenes by the movie as a whole was really not amazing in my opinion.

noisome07 said:
I'm sure you guys forgot about it already but check out Logorama! It's great :D

I put this on my todo list during the oscars.

harSon

Banned
Amir0x said:

I thought his character was badass, but it certainly wouldn't make my shortlist of best villain.

Duki

Banned
Staccat0 said:
People need to quit talking like this. Its fucking embarrassing.
Inglorious Basterds had a lot of weaknesses too. All the films did.
Tarantino deserves to lose for giving such a cool role to fucking ELI ROTH.
ELI ROTH!?
What a waste.

xfd

he looked so funny at the ceremony too.

bear jew was a great character though, yeah.

also lol @ the steve martin joke at the start.

"well..." *opens arms*

teiresias

Dead said:
Doesnt mean hes a bad villain

He has great charisma, is a staunch badass, and his dialogue while cheesy, perfectly fits the character and you can fully believe that that is how he talks, and his past pretty much tells you exactly what sort of man he is. He may not be the best of all time, but he was definitely memorable and a villain that you loved to hate, and cheer for at the same time.

Also, thats the difference between Cameron and a lot of other writers. His characters may all have cheesy dialogue, but his characters sell it, and it never feels out of place.

I can agree with the bolded. I mean, crap mixed in with other crap never really seems out of place.

Amir0x

Banned
CassSept said:
When Landa appeared in the restaurant I heard a few Holy Shits around me in the cinema. So tense. And such an amazing buildup. IMO this scene is better than opening first time you watch the movie.
Basement scene is also incredible.

And Landa speaking italian is a stuff of legends already. In the first three months after release I've heard it quoted over and over again everywhere, by everyone.

Seriously, and this is not a dig at AVATAR, but people really need to learn the art of creating tension with dialogue. People rely so much on CG and explosions that they often forget that the best action of all can take place in a glance between two characters who at once know the others secrets.

I was more on my edge of my seat during the conversations with Christoph Waltz's character in Inglourious Basterds than I was during any big action flick of the year.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Frank "Trashman" Reynolds said:

Just heard!

2d8eypi.gif

2z59f2h.gif

j6n66g.gif

107p6ro.gif

AFreak

Banned
If there was an award for most badass villian then...Stephen Lang, but as a villian that gives you the chills running down your spine, like Christoph waltz's, then there is no comparison between he and stephen lang.

The parts in the house are just mind numbingly torturous even giving the viewers that sense of trauma and anguish. However, that's also why The Hurt Locker is a munch better film overall than IB. Because almost every part exudes a sense of urgency, especially the bomb scenes.

Also, The hurt Locker had one of the best shoot out scenes, ever. It showed what real sniper's go through, it wasn't a bunch of bromance(which I loved about IB), but it showed how real war is. You fuck up once and you are pretty much gone in a real fight. There's rarely getting up from a bullet to the face, and THL shows this in ways IB only dreams of, and I tihnk that's why they gave it to THL before IB.

Kaeru

Banned
Socreges said:
Academy Award winner Sandra Bullock

really...? this will never sit well with me

i dont know why i dislike her, but.... i just do

i havent even seen the blind side. still, i cant accept this.

Its ok, its not like she even herself thought she deserved it.

BowieZ

Banned
teiresias said:
Oh HELL YES!!! And that scene and that fight has far more resonance, mood, and power than the protracted Anakin/Kenobi battle at the end of the new trilogy despite its comparative lack of glitz and special effects. It's just freaking unreal how mediocre the new trilogy was, bleh!!
So be it... JEDI! :D

MThanded

Amir0x said:
Seriously, and this is not a dig at AVATAR, but people really need to learn the art of creating tension with dialogue. People rely so much on CG and explosions that they often forget that the best action of all can take place in a glance between two characters who at once know the others secrets.

I was more on my edge of my seat during the conversations with Christoph Waltz's character in Inglourious Basterds than I was during any big action flick of the year.

With waltz it was really the whole package. Not just what he was saying but how he was saying it. Inflection on the words and his actions during his dialogue that made my skin crawl. I will never forget the house scene. It so simplistic yet so disturbing right off the bat.

Duki

Banned
Amir0x said:

hell, do it with silence.

see: the climax of zodiac. just two men looking at one another for a few seconds.

Amir0x said:

He's one dimensional. The best villians aren't "monsters” they are actual characters. Also, the restaurant scene in IB was nerve wracking. That's scariest scene I saw in a movie all year or years for that matter.

CassSept

Amir0x said:

GLASS OF MILK

Salsa

The fucking bad guy from avatar drinks cofee while killing the trees and says that he`s gonna pay a round for everyone after the mission. So rad, so original, best villain ever.

for fuck`s sake guys.

And yeah, i believe Tarantino actually out did himself with those beggining and dessert scenes. Of course Christoph helps, but if that writing isnt top noch i dont know what it is. Seriously, this not being recognized its the only proof i need to realize how unfair the oscars are. They did right with giving Avatar the only awards it deserved, but screenplay THL>IB was a fucking joke.

Banned
Amir0x said:
I play to my own crowd. I've said this exact argument word-for-word in THE AVATAR thread when everyone left was just giving the film a handjob, even about Stephen Lang's character. The idea that these performances and these poorly written characters deserve nominations is just absurd, and I'll submit the opinion anytime, any place. No crowd required.

Of course, then again, Sandra Bullock won an Academy Award. So sometimes absurd things happen.

Christoph Waltz by itself embodies a villain that is worth the sum total of five billion Stephan Lang's.
Whoa whoa whoa. She was in a movie about a poor black kid. Who else would you give it to

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom