• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2010 Academy Awards of Something Something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
BowieZ said:
That's the one picture that everyone here seems to agree is a fantastic film.
Really?
Cool.
I keep mentioning it and no one backs me up. It made me sad for the film. Not sure how well it did.
Dirtbag said:
Yeah no doubt, but you need to see the movie to understand. It's a brilliant script/dialogue and just a perfect performance. I didn't see one flaw in her role. You absolutely despise her with every inch of your being, and then you understand her and pity her and hate her more.
I'm sure you are right. I wasn't trying to imply anything about her performance. Just something that irks me about the academy.

Dead

well not really...yet
Spectral Glider said:
I can't name a single character now, never mind 10 years from now.

I hate it's success because, at the moment, it's overshadowing Cameron's other work. Aliens, The Abyss, Titanic, T2 are all better pictures by like a billion miles.
Dont worry. Avatar 2 and 3 will make sure other people with actual functioning memories will still remember them :)

And new film is overshadowing directors older films??? WOW. Its almost as if this new film just recently came out and was massively successful! Too bad that those older films were not popular at all when they came out. Im afraid they will be forgotten just like Avatar :(

What do you people dislike about Bullock?

I simply don't understand the hate about her.

Is it really all about Speed 2? I mean, seriously, if the basis of winning an award is that you have to never had been in/made a bad movie, then the choices would be few and far apart. It'd pretty much be nothing but newcomers. Boring.

Gribbix

Has this Salon.com article been posted yet? It explains what was up with that weird moment during the acceptance speech for Music by Prudence (best documentary short).
People are already saying you "pulled a Kanye." What happened?

BURKETT: What happened was the director and I had a bad difference over the direction of the film that resulted in a lawsuit that has settled amicably out of court. But there have been all these events around the Oscars, and I wasn't invited to any of them. And he's not speaking to me. So we weren't even able to discuss ahead of the time who would be the one person allowed to speak if we won. And then, as I'm sure you saw, when we won, he raced up there to accept the award. And his mother took her cane and blocked me. So I couldn't get up there very fast.

Can you explain the reason behind the conflict?

BURKETT: The movie was supposed to be about the entire band, Liyana. And the [band members] were very clear they did not want to participate if it ended up being just about one person. The director and HBO decided to focus solely on Prudence . . .

About 15 minutes later, Salon reached director-producer Roger Ross Williams by cell phone as he celebrated backstage with family and friends. We asked for his side of the story.

How did that happen?

WILLIAMS: Only one person is allowed to accept the award. I was the director, and she was removed from the project nearly a year ago, but she was able to still qualify as a producer on the project, and be an official nominee. But she was very angry -- she actually removed herself from the project – because she wanted more creative control.

But couldn't you decide ahead of time who would speak?

WILLIAMS: That was handled by the publicist for the academy. I don't know what they told her. The academy is very clear that only one person can speak. I own the film. She has no claim whatsoever. She has nothing to do with the movie. She just ambushed me. I was sort of in shock.

Dr.Acula

Banned
:lol

I just looked up when I saw The Hurt Locker. Feb 19th 2009. Now this was way, way before it got any buzz. And while I liked it, and did recommend it to people, I never would have guessed it would take best picture/director/screenplay a year later. It's an interesting choice, and given the competition, not a horrible one. IB is probably better, but IB it is very unconventional and polarising.

Roger Ebert
After I saw “Inglourious Basterds” at Cannes, although I was writing a daily blog, I resisted giving an immediate opinion about it. I knew Tarantino had made a considerable film, but I wanted it to settle, and to see it again. I’m glad I did. Like a lot of real movies, you relish it more the next time. Immediately after “Pulp Fiction” played at Cannes, QT asked me what I thought. “It’s either the best film of the year or the worst film,” I said. I hardly knew what the hell had happened to me. The answer was: the best film. Tarantino films have a way of growing on you. It’s not enough to see them once.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Jive Turkey said:
So has Scullibundo posted since Avatar lost? I mean I'm really beginning to fear for his safety.

I don't think I've seen him post once in this thread. I'm worried he was waiting for Best Director/Picture to be called for Cameron/Avatar and he flatlined twice :lol

Dresden

Dr.Acula said:
:lol

I just looked up when I saw The Hurt Locker. Feb 19th 2009. Now this was way, way before it got any buzz. And while I liked it, and did recommend it to people, I never would have guessed it would take best picture/director/screenplay a year later. It's an interesting choice, and given the competition, not a horrible one. IB is probably better, but IB it is very unconventional and polarising.

Roger Ebert
Ebert is the fucking man.

Dr.Acula

Banned
Gribbix said:
Has this Salon.com article been posted yet? It explains what was up with that weird moment during the acceptance speech for Music by Prudence (best documentary short).

:lol :lol :lol

I wondered what that crazy lady was doing. They should have security there or something.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Gribbix said:
so she did kanye him effectively. that is effed up. Dude was in shock.

Dead said:
Dont worry. Avatar 2 and 3 will make sure other people with actual functioning memories will still remember them :)

Well, there's tons of room for improvement, so if the sequels are actually better, then yeah, people might care to remember some of the characters. Especially if there's, you know, character development this time.

BowieZ

Banned
SlipperySlope said:

Is it really all about Speed 2? I mean, seriously, if the basis of winning an award is that you have to never had been in/made a bad movie, then the choices would be few and far apart. It'd pretty much be nothing but newcomers. Boring.
Let's just say, people conveniently forget Meryl Streep starred in the abysmal "It's Complicated" a few months ago.

Dresden

Spectral Glider said:
Well, there's tons of room for improvement, so if the sequels are actually better, then yeah, people might care to remember some of the characters. Especially if there's, you know, character development this time.
But the guy, like, boned the blue chick.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
OneEightZero said:
I don't think I've seen him post once in this thread. I'm worried he was waiting for Best Director/Picture to be called for Cameron/Avatar and he flatlined twice :lol
He's all over the first page or two.

Gribbix said:
That really pissed me off. Serious respect to the director. He was able to keep from popping her upside her head on national TV not only for ambushing his speech but also for interrupting with that "Just like a man to keep a woman from talking" bullshit.

Dresden

SlipperySlope said:

It's because she didn't deserve it for her role in The Blind Side, a criminally popular movie. It was a terrible film and her role certainly didn't inspire anyone to tears. It was basically a caricature of the Southern white woman.

Dead

well not really...yet
Spectral Glider said:
There was more than enough development through the visual quirks and mannerisms of the leads.

If the sequel stories focus on more characters, im sure they will be developed as well :)

BowieZ

Banned
Dresden said:
It's because she didn't deserve it for her role in The Blind Side, a criminally popular movie. It was a terrible film and her role certainly didn't inspire anyone to tears. It was basically a caricature of the Southern white woman.
She seemed to be pretty faithful to the real person she was portraying, to me. And that's why there was a film about this woman. Cos she was bigger than who she was. I think it's a knee-jerk reaction to call her a "caricature" imho, but meh I don't really care about it that much.

I liked Bullock's performance, I thought it was less of a caricature than Streep's Julia, and she gave a flawless speech.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
BowieZ said:
Let's just say, people conveniently forget Meryl Streep starred in the abysmal "It's Complicated" a few months ago.
I am really gonna incriminate myself here. My GF dragged me to the movie and I actually really enjoyed it. One of the best romantic comedies I have seen in a long time. *shrug*

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Dresden said:
BULLSHIT

I fucking cried when I saw the trailer, I cried when It was nominated, I cried when she won. We are talking Titanic level tears.

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
MThanded said:
I am really gonna incriminate myself here. My GF dragged me to the movie and I actually really enjoyed it. One of the best romantic comedies I have seen in a long time. *shrug*

kanyecry.gif

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Gribbix said:
Man, that was SUPER uncomfortable. :lol

I must have asked my self "what the fuck is happening right now?" 5 times before it was over. Good lord that was awkward.

vooglie

MiamiWesker said:
Sci-fi moves don't win awards sadly. It never had a chance but I was glad it got nominated.

And it was his first film. To get a best picture nomination for your first movie is a pretty big thing.

Hopefully Blomkamp can show that he's not a one hit wonder with his next project.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Thread is too big...so IB won nothing? wat the fuck

Spectral Glider said:
You don't need to develop stereotypes, that's what makes them so amazing. Cameron is a fucking genius, man!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Dresden said:
Were they tears of laughter?
Sadness. The sheer weight of reality was brutally brought down upon me. I see people keep saying how Hurt Locker or Precious were "Real" films. None of them were capable of matching the emotional depression I met over Bullock and the Blind Side. Life can only be shades of Gray from now on.

Dresden

vooglie said:
And it was his first film. To get a best picture nomination for your first movie is a pretty big thing.

Hopefully Blomkamp can show that he's not a one hit wonder with his next project.
The things he might do with an actual budget is pretty amazing.

Dead

well not really...yet
Jibril said:
Thread is too big...so IB won nothing? wat the fuck
It got robbed a Best writing award

I would have rather seen it win Best Picture as well since its superior to Hurt Locker.

MThanded said:

I had a fun time with it as well.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
Dead said:
It got robbed a Best writing award

I would have rather seen it win Best Picture as well since its superior to Hurt Locker.
exactly what I mean. Best supporting Actor is a given, should also won best writing and best picture. Guess I'll be missing another few years of oscars.

And wat the fuck
best director and best picture for THL?
wat

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
Jibril said:
exactly what I mean. Best supporting Actor is a given, should also won best writing and best picture. Guess I'll be missing another few years of oscars.

And wat the fuck
best director and best picture for THL?
wat

ru typin dis frum ur blakbery?/?

Here were my predictions, I guess 14 out of 24 ain't too bad, I am glad Hurt Locker won best picture, I wanted it to win but I didn't think it will, just like many people said Avatar won it's popcorn, visually entertaining award at the theater's box office already (rightfully so). It really didn't deserve to win best picture at the Oscars.

oscarpredictionsresults.jpg

Glad to see the Academy still looking for deeper, psychological character exploration in films, rather than visual glitter coated with "human connection" themes.

I would've loved to see Inglorious Basterds win "Best Original Screenplay" I think that one was a little off, and I am sure QT will have his day with The Academy one day...He is a great filmaker, so I am not too worried...I also thought Star Trek should have won best "Sound Editing or Mixing" one of those should have gone to Star Trek and the other to T.H.L. respectively... But overall I was pretty content with the results, most of the wins made good sense, except for the ones mentioned above. I am just happy Up In The Air didn't win anything, most freakin' overrated movie at these Academy Awards IMO, directed by a mediocre director.

Just so it's clear the only films I've seen before making these predictions were

Inglorious Basterds
The Hurt Locker
An Education
A Serious Man
Coraline
Fantastic Mr. Fox
Up
District 9
Food Inc.
Sherlock Holmes
Star Trek
The Messenger