• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2010 Academy Awards of Something Something

Status
Not open for further replies.
That woman who won Costume Design should die in a fire. Her hat looked stupid and she was a total bitch in her speech.

It's good that The Hurt Locker won; Avatar raked in a ton of cash and that's all it deserved. Bigelow looked like she was ready to flip shit when the show finally ended.

Sandra Bullock is, and will always be, a total joke. Speed on a Boat.

I'm just surprised that for once I actually saw the Best Picture winner in theaters and, not only that, it was the least seen Best Picture winner ever :lol

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Dead said:
Doesnt mean hes a bad villain

He has great charisma, is a staunch badass, and his dialogue while cheesy, perfectly fits the character and you can fully believe that that is how he talks, and his past pretty much tells you exactly what sort of man he is. He may not be the best of all time, but he was definitely memorable and a villain that you loved to hate, and cheer for at the same time.

Also, thats the difference between Cameron and a lot of other writers. His characters may all have cheesy dialogue, but his characters sell it, and it never feels out of place.
the Lang character reminded me of an old boss of mine. it made me hate him even more :lol

and fuck, i've gotta see IB. i LOVE tarantino and i never got around to watching it for whatever reason. THIS WEEK.

tekumseh

a mass of phermones, hormones and adrenaline just waiting to explode
MThanded said:
With waltz it was really the whole package. Not just what he was saying but how he was saying it. Inflection on the words and his actions during his dialogue that made my skin crawl. I will never forget the house scene. It so simplistic yet so disturbing right off the bat.

Further, his mere appearance was creep-inducing. The soulless eyes, like Anthony Hopkins in The Silence of the Lambs, was so incredibly unnerving. You can't write affect like that....

Dead

well not really...yet
teiresias said:
I can agree with the bolded. I mean, crap mixed in with other crap never really seems out of place.
None of it stands out as crap imo because It all fits pefectly well within the movie. Its typical Cameron, and hes one of the very few directors that can sell the sort of cheesy on the nose dialogue that he writes. I never have a problem with it in Camerons films thanks to that.

Dirtbag

GillianSeed79 said:

He's one dimensional. The best villians aren't "monsters” they are actual characters.
The best villian of this year was Mo'Nique from Precious. I've never hated a person on film more (I hated her more then Nurse Ratchet). She absolutely nailed that role.

Duki

Banned
i find it immensely funny that julia roberts and sandra bullock gave just about the same performance to win the score.

sassy, confident blonde southern lady.

jesus christ.

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
Ninja Scooter said:
People are actually praising the villian from Avatar? :lol That guy was like all the Army general stereotypes dating back to Full Metal Jacket thrown into a blender and given a character design by Rob Leifeld.

Seriously, he had less depth & character portrayal than Lieutenant Harris from Police Academy!

...and some more .gifs of Avatar getting jack or Best Picture:

4qr4aq.gif

2u3ukvm.jpg

edit:
Somtaaw said:
Did a Sci Fi movie ever won a oscar of the best picture?

Yes E.T., a waaaaaay more deserving movie to win than Avatar.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Hope this thread does not get me back to being addicted to neogaf. I have been trying to stay away from this place hoping eventually i would get my thread creation privs back. :lol

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
MThanded said:
I watched Hurt Locker and personally I thought it was good not great. I am interested to know what makes people think it was great. I am open to opinions I just am confused about why it was touted as such a masterpiece? There were some good scenes by the movie as a whole was really not amazing in my opinion.

I put this on my todo list during the oscars.
First of all, not every movie looks to "amaze"
Hurt Locker helped me to understand a group of people who I have never really understood on a gut level. I strongly disliked the group of macho dickheads that Hurt Locker follows, but I really cared about, appreciated and understood them by the end of the film. We need guys like that. The film didn't try to make them look like good dudes, just good soldiers. It made me understand why soldiers do the fucked up shit you read about in the papers.

Visually, the way it was edited and shot brought a lot of tension to something that should be boring as hell. It conveyed paranoia and definitely made me suspicious of the innocent civillians around every corner. At the same time, the way it presented the film as a series of vignettes slowly put me in the same mindset as the character and helped me undertsnad why they decided to jump the shark near the end of the film.

Hurt Locker did more than entertain me. It didn't amaze me, but it moved me.

The movie had problems, and I didn't love it, but it deserves to win as much as any other great film.

On a seperate note: This thread proves it, Directors get too much credit.

MThanded

Staccat0 said:
First of all, not every movie looks to "amaze"
Hurt Locker helped me to understand a group of people who I have never really understood on a gut level. I strongly disliked the group of macho dickheads that Hurt Locker follows, but I really cared about, appreciated and understood them by the end of the film. We need guys like that. The film didn't try to make them look like good dudes, just good soldiers. It made me understand why soldiers do the fucked up shit you read about in the papers.

Visually, the way it was edited and shot brought a lot of tension to something that should be boring as hell. It conveyed paranoia and definitely made me suspicious of the innocent civillians around every corner. At the same time, the way it presented the film as a series of vignettes slowly put me in the same mindset as the character and helped me undertsnad why they decided to jump the shark near the end of the film.

Hurt Locker did more than entertain me. It didn't amaze me, but it moved me.

The movie had problems, and I didn't love it, but it deserves to win as much as any other great film.

Just as an aside did you see precious? The reason I ask if you speak of being moved.

border

Teddman said:
I'm not sure why my saying he's "one of" the best villains in recent memory somehow means I'm dissing Ledger, Bardem, et al.

Because he is many many echelons below those actors that turned in a far superior performance, but you're rating him as an equal or near-equal?

I'm probably misquoting here, but Patton Oswalt has complained of a similar disappointment when an audience member comes up and says something to the extent of "I love you! And I love Arby's Roast Beef, and Yugioh cards..."

That the vast majority of card-carrying actors do not like the mocap trend in Hollywood and that this contributed to Avatar's lack of success tonight is not. And that's what I am trying to get across to you.

At the same time, what I'm trying to get across is that if Avatar was all makeup and live-action, none of the actors would have gotten nominated either. Maybe there's a bias, and maybe a CG motion-captured Christoph Waltz/Jeff Bridges would not have won.....but the Avatar performances were not Oscar-worthy to begin with. The CG was an extra strike against them, but to strain the already-tired metaphor it's like saying "McDonald's didn't win Best Hamburger because the judges are biased against buns without sesame seeds!"

Dresden

Duki said:
i find it immensely funny that julia roberts and sandra bullock gave just about the same performance to win the score.

sassy, confident blonde southern lady.

jesus christ.
It's the new retard kid.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
MThanded said:
Just as an aside did you see precious?
nope :(
I thought it loooked awful, but in retrospect the trailer just probably was targeted to a different market from me. The clips I saw tonight looked pretty great... even if they were spoilery:lol
Did you? any good?
Mercury Fred said:
Mostly happy with the wins, though I wish IB would have taken some more, if even only screenplay.

Lame that Bullock won, but her speech was great. Really wish Colin Firth would have won. Daniels was OK, but someone needed to yank the mic from him.

Some hilariously bad fashion on display. Miley Cyrus is hideous (someone at the party I was at called her "vulgar looking" :lol ). The production over all was tacky, cheap and just bad. That dance number/ GAP ad provided infinite laughs. "I Am Woman" playing as Bigelow took director was so hoaky and offensive. What would they have played if Daniels won, the theme from Shaft?
I agree with the bold.
I need to see Single man. The clips they showed made me want to cry:lol

UP's little thingy DID make me cry though:lol

Mostly happy with the wins, though I wish IB would have taken some more, if even only screenplay.

Lame that Bullock won, but her speech was great. Really wish Colin Firth would have won. Daniels was OK, but someone needed to yank the mic from him.

Some hilariously bad fashion on display. Miley Cyrus is hideous (someone at the party I was at called her "vulgar looking" :lol ). The production over all was tacky, cheap and just bad. That dance number/ GAP ad provided infinite laughs. "I Am Woman" playing as Bigelow took director was so hoaky and offensive. What would they have played if Daniels won, the theme from Shaft?

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
MThanded said:
Hope this thread does not get me back to being addicted to neogaf. I have been trying to stay away from this place hoping eventually i would get my thread creation privs back. :lol
in the mean time, if you want a thread made, let me know.

MThanded

Staccat0 said:
nope :(
I thought it loooked awful, but in retrospect the trailer just probably was targeted to a different market from me. The clips I saw tonight looked pretty great... even if they were spoilery:lol
Did you? any good?

Personally it was the most moving movie I saw all year. Tough subject matter and Monique deserved that award. Some parts of the movie are hard to watch though.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
For some reason it just clicked with me that Hurt Locker was directed by a woman. I mean, i knew it as a fact, but its kind of funny she got such great performances that reflected a world that women rarely see. I knew these sorts of guys in the small country town I grew up in. The film really helped me undterstand them better I think.
I just connected the dots with that. It makes her being the first woman to win a bit more interesting. Glad it was a war movie and not a melodrama from a historic perspective.

MThanded said:
Personally it was the most moving movie I saw all year. Tough subject matter and Monique deserved that award. Some parts of the movie are hard to watch though.
Yeah, I shouldn't have skipped it.
I regret missing single man too. and whit ribbon (I love the director)
An Education was my movie of the year. Not really a GAF movie, and I dislike Nick Hornsby, but it was great IMO

border

I'm out of this thread for a little bit -- all the praise has moved me to throw in the Inglorious Basterds DVD and watch the opening sequence again :D

I'm so glad someone gave it to me for Christmas, because the dearth of special features on the disc would have prevented me from buying it as a matter of principle.

Dirtbag

MThanded said:

It was one of the most raw movies I've ever seen. I didn't like some things about it, but it was the best picture of the year and a movie that will stick with you. It definitely will get a reaction out of you. The final encounter was genius

MThanded

Dirtbag said:
It was one of the most raw movies I've ever seen. I didn't like some things about it, but it was the best picture of the year and a movie that will stick with you. It definitely will get a reaction out of you. The final encounter was genius

truth.

OneEightZero said:
Yes, sir. I don't think it should have been nominated, but it's pretty damned good.
Favorite part of the oscars is finding out all the shit I missed this year.

AFreak

Banned
MThanded said:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20161126&postcount=4738

Also, I have seen Precious and believe it is right up there with The Hurt Locker. And I'm very happy Mo'Nique won best supporting actress. She was amazing throughout the entire movie and she sent shivers down my spine.

Duki

Banned
MThanded said:
I need to see Up in the Air. I really missed out on that one it seems.

it's really predictable, actually. not in the sense that it's dumb, but in the sense that it's smart but you instantly figure out the ways in which it's going to be smart.

ok movie though.

MThanded

One thing i can say for sure was 2009 was a great movie year and thank god for netflix.

Dirtbag

AFreak said:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20161126&postcount=4738

Also, I have seen Precious and believe it is right up there with The Hurt Locker. And I'm very happy Mo'Nique won best supporting actress. She was amazing throughout the entire movie and she sent shivers down my spine.
If she would have lost that award, I would have turned off the Oscars right then and there... and probably not watch them for a year or two out of spite.
I would put her performance as one of the best of all time. She killed it.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Dirtbag said:
If she would have lost that award, I would have turned off the Oscars right then and there... and probably not watch them for a year or two out of spite.
I would put her performance as one of the best of all time. She killed it.
I haven't seen the film and it looks like she killed it, but I feel like the awards are unfairly biased toward extreme characters. If you cry and scream a lot in a movie, people love you. Subtle performances rarley get the nod even if they are just as impressive IMO.

Not knocking Mo'
Just saying she had it in the bag.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
OneEightZero said:
I agree with ProfessionalSchmuck... it was about five too many.
Probably true. Did you see An Education?
I feel like I'm alone with this movie here.

Funny thing, $10 says District 9 "ralph nadered" Avatar.
Less niminees may have saved Cameron's night.

Brimstone

my reputation is Shadowruined
tekumseh said:
I'll even go this far: The Fed that Lang played in Public Enemies was a far more fully realized character than the one he played in Avatar, and in that movie he probably didn't have more than 15 lines of dialogue...

I agree.

Stephen Lang in Public Enemies had a more fleshed out character than his role as a mercenary general that seems to be experiencing roid rage in Avatar; he is a peripherial character in Public Enemies.

Dirtbag

Staccat0 said:
I haven't seen the film and it looks like she killed it, but I feel like the awards are unfairly biased toward extreme characters. If you cry and scream a lot in a movie, people love you. Subtle performances rarley get the nod even if they are just as impressive IMO.

Not knocking Mo'
Just saying she had it in the bag.

Yeah no doubt, but you need to see the movie to understand. It's a brilliant script/dialogue and just a perfect performance. I didn't see one flaw in her role. You absolutely despise her with every inch of your being, and then you understand her and pity her and hate her more.

PhoenixDark said:
Avatar will only be remembered for it's technological achievements. As a film it's nothing spectacular, in fact it's the definition of generic. In ten years no one will be able to name a single character from the film; in that regard it'll be remembered much like the new Star Wars films were regarded: forgettable.

I can't name a single character now, never mind 10 years from now.

I hate it's success because, at the moment, it's overshadowing Cameron's other work. Aliens, The Abyss, Titanic, T2 are all better pictures by like a billion miles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom