• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2010 Academy Awards of Something Something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dead

well not really...yet
Jibril said:
exactly what I mean. Best supporting Actor is a given, should also won best writing and best picture. Guess I'll be missing another few years of oscars.

And wat the fuck
best director and best picture for THL?
wat
Its ok

Its just another bad choice for Best Picture from the Academy (Beautiful Mind, Chicago, Crash, Slumdog, Shakespeare, Gladiator, etc)

Aselith

Dresden said:
It's because she didn't deserve it for her role in The Blind Side, a criminally popular movie. It was a terrible film and her role certainly didn't inspire anyone to tears. It was basically a caricature of the Southern white woman.

My mom cried at the movie.

Veidt

Blasphemer who refuses to accept bagged milk as his personal savior
OneEightZero said:
ru typin dis frum ur blakbery?/?
:lol

Dead said:
Its ok

Its just another bad choice for Best Picture from the Academy (Beautiful Mind, Chicago, Crash, Slumdog, Shakespeare, Gladiator, etc)

yeah, it's crash all over again.

Dead said:
It got robbed a Best writing award

I would have rather seen it win Best Picture as well since its superior to Hurt Locker.

Don't agree with that and that's coming from somebody that sucks anything and who owns anything to do with WWII's dick. I came in wanting to love IB with all my heart but I have to say THL is better. Christoph Waltz as good as he was can't make up for the rest of the movie.

Dead

well not really...yet
TheGreatDave said:
Could have been worse!
Avatar and Basterds can now join the long list of superior films that didn't win Best Picture, like SPR, Munich and Fellowship of the Ring :D

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Dead said:
Avatar and Basterds can now join the long list of superior films that didn't win Best Picture, like SPR, Munich, Fellowship of the Ring :D
It's always good to lead off with a joke. I laughed :lol

Jibril said:
waait. Fellowship of the ring didn't win best picture? It was arguable the best of the 3.

Oh Oscars.:lol

I think it got beat by Chicago... And they made it up by giving it to that train wreck ROTK over Master and Commander

Veidt

Dead said:
Avatar and Basterds can now join the long list of superior films that didn't win Best Picture, like SPR, Munich, Fellowship of the Ring :D
waait. Fellowship of the ring didn't win best picture? It was arguable the best of the 3.

shintoki said:

I think it got beat by Chicago... And they made it up by giving it to that train wreck ROTK over Master and Commander

Oh Oscars.:lol

I wish Avatar won Best picture, the meltdowns would have been inglourious

Dead

well not really...yet
shintoki said:
It fits the bill

Critically well received, popular, and will be remembered for far longer than the actual winner :D Not to mention better directed than the film that actually won!

vooglie

Tobor said:
Uh oh, now you've done it. :lol

I agree.

Heh. Matrix 1 is a great movie... that's also what made Matrix 2 and 3 so bad.

I'm also glad a relatively low budget low earning movie won - I'd hate for the academy to go by box office success.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Dead said:
It got robbed a Best writing award

I would have rather seen it win Best Picture as well since its superior to Hurt Locker.
Cry Mooooooooooooooooooaaaar
seriously, pages and pages of this?
Who the fuck cares? ITs a PG13 action movie.
regardless if you think it should have won bitching for this long is just... unstable.

Inglourious Basterds got robbed of the writing award. I understand why it lost for best picture, even if I disagree with it having lost, but its screenplay was easily stronger than The Hurt Locker's.

Veidt

I just read that THL won for best writing over IB too
are you fucking kidding me :lol

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
Dead said:
Avatar and Basterds can now join the long list of superior films that didn't win Best Picture, like SPR, Munich and Fellowship of the Ring :D
Just like LA Confidential. The shit that won that year was a joke.

Dead said:
It fits the bill

Critically well received, popular, and will be remembered for far longer than the actual winner :D Not to mention better directed than the film that actually won!
Avatar will be remembered in much the same way as the Macarena.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Dead said:
Macarena? Is that what they call Star Wards these days??
No they call star wars an awesome kids movie that nerds on the internet rage over.
Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Inglourious Basterds got robbed of the writing award. I understand why it lost for best picture, even if I disagree with it having lost, but its screenplay was easily stronger than The Hurt Locker's.
Why? did you read them or somthing?
I loved inglorious, but QT needs to do a little less telling and a little more showing. The actors don't even get a chance to act they are so busy talking. I'll take Inglorious Basterds over Hurt Locker any day, but it wasn't as black and white as people here want to say.
Quentin likes to write dialogue. Screenplays are not just about dialogue. Its just as much about what is not written and not writing is NOT Tarantino's strength.

Again, loved the film, but nothing about its not so cut and dry.

Jibril said:
:lol

yeah, it's crash all over again.

it's not that at all, comparing a great film like "The Hurt Locker" to the self-indulging, sentimental, circle jerk that was "Crash" is a huge insult to the hottest cougar director in Hollywood and all soldiers around the world. Just like Jermey Renner’s character as Will James breaking into an Iraqi man's house in the middle of the night..sir, you are way "off base" ... see what I did there?..yeah I know it sucked. :lol

BowieZ

Banned
:lol :lol

Lady Kanye

EricHasNoPull said:
it's not that at all, comparing a great film like "The Hurt Locker" to the self-indulging, sentimental, circle jerk that was "Crash" is a huge insult to the hottest cougar director in Hollywood and all soldiers around the world. Just like Jermey Renner’s character as Will James breaking into an Iraqi man's house in the middle of the night..sir, you are way "off base" ... see what I did there?..yeah I know it sucked. :lol
And "Avatar" is no "Brokeback Mountain".

Dead said:
Macarena? Is that what they call Star Wards these days??
Accepting the fact you like Avatar, I don't understand what aspect of it is comprable to Star Wars' legacy. I'm not a Star Wars fan at all, but the iconic scenes and characters from the original trilogy just blow away anything in Avatar. There is no character, no scene and no storytelling in Avatar that comes close to the timelessness of Star Wars.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
EricHasNoPull said:
this
BowieZ said:
And "Avatar" is no "Brokeback Mountain".
and this

I love the people in this film trying to sell Hurt Locker as a snooty art film or bullshit melodrama.
The movie is pretty intense and pretty devoid of moralizing.

Dead

well not really...yet
TheGreatDave said:
Accepting the fact you like Avatar, I don't understand what aspect of it is comprable to Star Wars' legacy. I'm not a Star Wars fan at all, but the iconic scenes and characters from the original trilogy just blow away anything in Avatar. There is no character, no scene and no storytelling in Avatar that comes close to the timelessness of Star Wars.
Its a simple Sci-Fi/Fantasy with simple characters that go through an adventure presenting sci-fi/fantasy visuals to audiences in a way that they have never experienced/seen before.

If youre going by the first movie only, both movies characters have about the same depth. Both movies present familiar, classic stories in a new light through a sci-fi fantasy lense.

Its such an obvious comparison to me, I dont see why you fell the need to so strongly refute it considering you say you dont even like Star Wars.

For what its worth I think Avatar is about the same quality level of the first Star Wars. Superior to Return of the Jedi, and inferior to Empire Strikes Back.

Edit: Also, like many people seem to like doing, you're comparing an entire trilogy to one movie.

GhaleonEB

I tossed The Hurt Locker to the top of my Netflix queue, since I usually try to see all the Best Picture winners, if not nominees (though I'll see most of them this time around). It's usually not the kind of movie I watch, but I'll give it a shot.

Looking forward to IB more though; it's on "very long wait" status though. :(
ryutaro's mama said:
You should try harder.

That was sad.

Even you don't believe that.
Honestly, the freak outs now that Avatar lost are probably just as entertaining as if it had won. Thread's been a hoot since the announcement. :lol

TheGreatDave said:
Well, no. I don't think people will mistake Avatar for a cheesy 90s pop song with a dance and high popularity. You got me!

If you truly think AHBUHDAR will be a "forgotten" pop culture fade like the Macarena in 10-15 years, you are smoking.

But I know you aren't that stupid--you're just trying to be funny.

And failing.

Staccat0 said:
No they call star wars an awesome kids movie that nerds on the internet rage over.

Why? did you read them or somthing?
I loved inglorious, but QT needs to do a little less telling and a little more showing. The actors don't even get a chance to act they are so busy talking. I'll take Inglorious Basterds over Hurt Locker any day, but it wasn't as black and white as people here want to say.
Quentin likes to write dialogue. Screenplays are not just about dialogue. Its just as much about what is not written and not writing is NOT Tarantino's strength.

Again, loved the film, but nothing about its not so cut and dry.

Except, if you read Tarantino's screenplays, he writes really in-depth stage directions to complement his masterful dialogue. From any angle, Basterds is a better screenplay.

ryutaro's mama said:
If you truly think AHBUHDAR will be a "forgotten" pop culture fade like the Macarena in 10-15 years, you are smoking.

And failing.
I certainly don't think it'll be remembered as a great film. It's legacy will be 1) Ooh, 3D and 2) Mad cash. Nobody is going to care about much else, just like Titanic is never remembered as anything but successful and a great showcase for Winslet's tits.

TheGreatDave said:

This.

sonicmj1

ryutaro's mama said:

And failing.

Maybe I'm remembering things wrong, but I suspect Titanic will be a closer parallel than Star Wars. It'll be more significant as a commerical success and a harbinger of things to come than it is for its quailty over time.

Veidt

The real awards given tonight:

First female director wins-check
Least succesful film of the nominatees, wins- check
Ex-wife of certain director wins-check

Making political statements.

THL was a good film, but it certainly did not deserve to win best screenplay. Aww Hell no.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
Dead said:
Its a simple Sci-Fi/Fantasy with simple characters that go through an adventure presenting sci-fi/fantasy visuals to audiences in a way that they have never experienced/seen before.

If youre going by the first movie only, both movies characters have about the same depth. Both movies present familiar, classic stories in a new light through a sci-fi fantasy lense.

Its such a obvious comparison to me, I dont see why you fell the need to so strongly refute it considering you say you dont even like Star Wars.

For what its worth I think Avatar is about the same quality level of the first Star Wars. Superior to Return of the Jedi, and obviously inferior to Empire Strikes Back.
The comparison is valid even if I disagree. I just don't think I would give star wars a best picture nod instead of Annie FUCKING Hall which beat it.

Its pretty convenient that one of the most influential action/adventure films of all time lost to one of the most influential dramatic comedies of all time. I wouldn't vote for Star wars over Annie Hall either.

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
Except, if you read Tarantino's screenplays, he writes really in-depth stage directions to complement his masterful dialogue. From any angle, Basterds is a better screenplay.
So?
That wasn't the point I was trying to make. The fucking Coens do that too:lol
My point is, stage directions or no, a room full of non-writers aren't gonna vote for dialogue heavy talkies.

Anwyay, Serious Man probably had a pretty amazing screenplay on paper judging from the source. The award has little to do with writing and I would wager you are the only person in this thread who bothered to read them. Lord knows I read none.

Xater

Whaaaaat? IB didn't win best original screenplay? CRAZY!

I'm also susprised by the foreign film category. I was so sure it would go to A Prophet or the White Ribbon.

Banned
Dead said:
For what its worth I think Avatar is about the same quality level of the first Star Wars. Superior to Return of the Jedi, and inferior to Empire Strikes Back.
Wow, you should slow down. All that spinning can cause headaches.

Comparing Star Wars and Avatar just shows more of the glaring problems in avatar especially when it comes to character.

Xater said:
Whaaaaat? IB didn't win best original screenplay? CRAZY!
Okay, seriously why all the hate on HL screenplay. They are both good.

MrOctober

Banned
Dead said:
Or Pulp Fiction and The Shawshank Redemption fucking losing to Forrest Gump.

Dead

well not really...yet
sonicmj1 said:
Maybe I'm remembering things wrong, but I suspect Titanic will be a closer parallel than Star Wars. It'll be more significant as a commerical success and a harbinger of things to come than it is for its quailty over time.
I dont see that happening at all.

Avatar will get sequels that will not only keep the film in the public eye for probably the next decade, they will add to the film and to its universe, making the first film a necessary stepping stone into an actual fully fledged franchise.

And if there is one person who knows how to do sequels, its James Cameron :)

Veidt

Wow, you should slow down. All that spinning can cause headaches.

Comparing Star Wars and Avatar just shows more of the glaring problems in avatar especially when it comes to character

Star Wars and Avatar as a series are different to the first Star Wars vs Avatar. Avatar 2, will most likely be in the veins of Empire Strikes Back.

TheGreatDave said:
I certainly don't think it'll be remembered as a great film. It's legacy will be 1) Ooh, 3D and 2) Mad cash. Nobody is going to care about much else, just like Titanic is never remembered as anything but successful and a great showcase for Winslet's tits.

There's that "humor" again. Titanic is near and dear to a generation's heart for none of those reasons.

Leo anyone?

Most of Cameron's movies have longevity ( the only 2 that don't are The Abyss and maybe True Lies)

This notion that no one will care is bananas, especially when you consider that a sequel is coming.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
MrOctober said:
Or Pulp Fiction fucking losing to Forrest Gump.
Fixed.
You aren't allowed to hate Forrest and love Shawshank. They suffer from many of the same issues.:D

EDIT: I should add, Pulp Fiction had a HUGE impact on culture and how people perceive "independent films"
Shawshank can't stand next to that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom