• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2011 NCAA MBB Tournament - GAF Bracket Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
So I picked Uconn to winn in our tourney but it looks like "avenger" did too and his possible points are higher. I'm screwed. Shit!

An-Det

I enjoyed the game. I always love UConn winning (fuck yeah alma mater), but the game was close the whole time. I was betting it would go into overtime for a bit there, but getting that second free throw at the end was clutch.

InsertNameHere said:
I go to UConn and now I can't sleep because everyone's running around campus screaming and partying.

I was on campus earlier, shit got loud afterwards; the last time it was like that on campus was after Obama won in 2008. Trust me, it'll be even crazier when we win on Monday, and then true insanity if the women win as well. Google the 2004 riot clips that were on the Daily Show.

Edit: damn, one of my friends posted this on facebook (his dad is a cop): "My dad said he had to send all of their night shift troopers to Carriage house. Apparently there's at least 25 troopers there right now.".

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
DJ_Tet said:
Naa it's not just that. It's that Duke 'almost lost' and 'they didn't have to play Kentucky or another major team in the final.' But you're right I'm probably overthinking things but Duke and UNC fans will always look for ways to take shots at the others' titles.

See Freddie Jones and Chris Webber's T.

edit: But enough about that, can't wait to watch Matt Howard and Kemba on Monday night.
Maybe Howard can hurt Kemba's toe as well. Seriously, Nored is up to task for Walker. He's as good a defensive PG as you'll find in college.

jjasper

Cubsfan23 said:
UK fans all year long said the Big East was overrated, so yes i am talking shit.

So you are mad at them for being right?

Edit: Also I guess Pitt fans can feel a little better about themselves now since their last 2 losses are against teams playing for the title.

Bowser

GodfatherX said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1b6vN1Ydxk

I must have missed this last week, but seriously lost even more respect for a UK player..and refs in college basketball

so Harrelson walks, steps on the line, and launches the ball at a OSU players face, doesn't get a tech and UK still got the ball?

We both hate UK, but:

1) Doesn't look like a walk
2) Ball thrown at the chest
3) Legal to throw a ball off a player to keep possession, no matter how hard it's thrown

Jay Sosa

As good As Kemba is, he tends to take some really awful shots at the end of the game, he was blocked twice yesterday trying to get a shot off against 3 guys and I think the saem happened either in the elite eight or the sweet sixteen when the game was still close.I think Butler will win this.. And how sick is it that Butlers coach is already a legend with 34? I mean where could he possibly go from here? Butlers team doesn't strike me as very talented so it seems that their sucess it has quite a lot to do with good coaching.

Bowser said:
We both hate UK, but:

1) Doesn't look like a walk
2) Ball thrown at the chest
3) Legal to throw a ball off a player to keep possession, no matter how hard it's thrown
your right, on 2nd look he threw it at Sullinger's chest, so i recant that part. I saw a T called on a similar play, granted it was D2 (Bellarmine Knights D2 champs!)

Jay Sosa said:
As good As Kemba is, he tends to take some really awful shots at the end of the game, he was blocked twice yesterday trying to get a shot off against 3 guys and I think the saem happened either in the elite eight or the sweet sixteen when the game was still close.I think Butler will win this.. And how sick is it that Butlers coach is already a legend with 34? I mean where could he possibly go from here? Butlers team doesn't strike me as very talented so it seems that their sucess it has quite a lot to do with good coaching.

Stevens is a good coach but some credit should go to the players. Mack is a big time talent. Howard is not too shabby either.

Stevens will be able to get anything he wants this offseason, its crazy. He could probably call Texas up and be like "Yeah um, lose Rick, give me $4mil/yr and we'll do the presser tomorrow" and they would oblige.

Draft news - Morris twins are signing with an NBA agent...

charsace

ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
He has no shot in the NBA running offense, playing the 2 well would improve his draft stock.
Knight is a pg. People were saying the same thing about Bledsoe and he is playing the position well in the NBA. Its partly the system. He has to tools to be a great defensive pg that can get to the rim and hit the big shot.

Outdoor Miner said:
Stevens is a good coach but some credit should go to the players. Mack is a big time talent. Howard is not too shabby either.
Butler is as good as they are mainly because of Stevens IMO. They have been well coached for years and the team always plays within themselves. Mack is decent, but I don't think he's anything special. I like Howard, but I know he isn't anything special either. I don't think they would be a tourney team if Stevens wasn't the coach.

Miguel

Damn, I didn't join this year and I've got 86 points with standard Yahoo scoring. What are the scenario generator results for Butler or UConn? Bored and want to see how I stack up against everyone else here. lol

I had UConn in the final but got burned by Kansas. Still a Top 10 finish provided Butler pull it off Monday. Not too shabby for being in the bottom 10 for most of the tourney!

jakncoke

Banned
Looking at Scenario thingy

If UCONN wins Cooter's Gold and My Bracket is Ready will tie with 107: Cooter has tiebreaker as UCONN taking it with a 73-69 score and MCIR has UCONN taking it 103-82

If Butler wins The Yellowcard Reunion Tour will win with 83

Miguel

jakncoke said:

If UCONN wins Cooter's Gold and My Bracket is Ready will tie with 107: Cooter has tiebreaker as UCONN taking it with a 73-69 score and MCIR has UCONN taking it 103-82

I knew I should have joined :(

Would have been my 2nd win in GAF history (2004)

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
jakncoke said:

Sweet! I must have looked at it wrong. Go UCONN!

Bowser

martytirrell Marty Tirrell
Harrison Barnes to make it official Tuesday.... Back to Heels-
1 hour ago

Marty Tirrell is an Iowa sports radio personality, nicknamed the "Mouth of the Midwest." He broke Barnes was leaning to the Heels an hour or so before it happened back during his recruitment.

I don't think he's a very good pro prospect, but he's a great college player. He can create a legacy in college that he won't be able to in NBA, good decision. Money will be there next season.

Talon

Matt Howard has perfected the act of the no jump rebound.

That takes some talent. Following in the broad steps of Dan Gadzuric.
Jay Sosa said:
You expect your star player to take volume shots. As a result, he's going to shoot 35% once in a while - like he did in that sweet 16 game. It's a part of the game.
Outdoor Miner said:
SI did a great writeup on Stevens last week. Guy's impeccably prepared. He made sure that the players went in with three plays dependent on the results of the FTs in that championship game last year.

Bobby Cremins sure as hell wouldn't have done that.
This joke is sure to fly straight over the heads of some folks.

Bowser said:
Marty Tirrell is an Iowa sports radio personality, nicknamed the "Mouth of the Midwest." He broke Barnes was leaning to the Heels an hour or so before it happened back during his recruitment.

Grats. You guys are probably going to be the preseason favorite and will start the year ranked #1.

Jtrizzy

Roy is on an amazing run with guys coming back. Also, I hear UK is already having to self report recruiting violations...cal will probably bail and leave them in the shit like he always done.

bill0527

Good luck to Butler.

And whatever you do, remember not to breathe on Shabazz Napier.

FLOP.gif

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Outdoor Miner said:
Wow what a crappy hire by Mizzou. I really thought that was going to be Shaka's next destination after the Painter rejection.

To be fair, Missouri apparently took a run at a lot of guys: Painter, Alford, Tubby Smith, etc. They ended up with plan q. Guess what? Nobody wants to take over a program with no tradition and that has about zero chance of climbing to the top of the B12(10, Texas and the 9 dwarves, etc). Should have found a way to keep Anderson.

Bowser

Shaka Smart staying put at VCU. Apparently State offered $2mil per over 6 years and he's staying at VCU for "well over $1mil per" (length unknown) :jakncoke

Also, I would bet money that Stevens stays put as well (especially if he wins a title tonight).

Sir Pant

chuckddd said:
To be fair, Missouri apparently took a run at a lot of guys: Painter, Alford, Tubby Smith, etc. They ended up with plan q. Guess what? Nobody wants to take over a program with no tradition and that has about zero chance of climbing to the top of the B12(10, Texas and the 9 dwarves, etc). Should have found a way to keep Anderson.
I don't doubt that Missouri tried to get better coaches, but this still sucks in the end. I wish the result was different, but I'll support him none the less.

Yes, they should have tried harder to keep Mike Anderson, but honestly it seems he wanted to be at Arkansas than he did MU. Don't think there's much we could have done there.

Bowser said:
Shaka Smart staying put at VCU. Apparently State offered $2mil per over 6 years and he's staying at VCU for "well over $1mil per" (length unknown) :jakncoke

Also, I would bet money that Stevens stays put as well (especially if he wins a title tonight).

Bad move for Shaka, VCU won't be back and he won't see those kind of offers again.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Bowser said:

Stevens isn't leaving for at least 3 or so years and if he does it will be for:

Indiana
Duke
UNC

in pretty much that order.

As far as NCSU goes....I don't know what to say....EVERYONE they have reached out to basically clicked 'em up. If that Wichita St guy does too, well I think I'd cry if I was a State fan.

I'm hoping Irving goes ahead and announces this week so we can move on and embrace the Quinn Cook future. But you still have some kids holding out hope that the sun won't rise tomorrow even though they know it will. I'm more excited about possibly getting this Deandre Daniels kid. UNC will be much better than us assuming all 3 return but I think I'll enjoy next season more without the whole championship expectations.

SamuraiX-

bill0527 said:
Good luck to Butler.

And whatever you do, remember not to breathe on Shabazz Napier.

FLOP.gif

Good God, man. I swear I remember the opposing player giving him at least a little shove during the game...

Now when I look at it again... Not a single fucking finger on him.

AND THE REF IS RIGHT FUCKING THERE!

Fuck, man. Flopping is eventually going to make basketball unwatchable for me.

SamuraiX- said:
Good God, man. I swear I remember the opposing player giving him at least a little shove during the game...

Still not as bad as soccer

bill0527

SamuraiX- said:

They did that shit all night long. There's another good gif out there when Kimba Walker got 'fouled' by Liggins on a 3-point shot. Dude flopped like a fish who just got hit with a tazer gun.

I hate flopping. Hate it when players from my team do it and hate it when opposing players do it. They should start handing out technical fouls for this garbage.

DarkWish

Bowser said:
Yes, that is FANTASTIC news! I expected him to stay, he seemed like the type of guy that wouldn't abandon everyone and I knew after everything, VCU would try to get him to stay. Glad he is, and can't wait to see him coaching the team next year!

Miguel

Sweet, going to the game tonight. Hopefully the camera nazis won't give me shit for my 18-105mm lens. Hope to move down close enough since it seems Kentucky fans are still trying to get rid of thousands of seats. Hoping to get down close to the first 20 rows or so.

jakncoke

Banned
bill0527 said:
They did that shit all night long. There's another good gif out there when Kimba Walker got 'fouled' by Liggins on a 3-point shot. Dude flopped like a fish who just got hit with a tazer gun.

I hate flopping. Hate it when players from my team do it and hate it when opposing players do it. They should start handing out technical fouls for this garbage.

Yeah i rofl'd hard when Dejuan Blair was here cause he was good for an one a game at least. I was like like dude your're a center that shit isn't going to work, stop trying to be cute.

chuckddd

Fear of a GAF Planet
Forgive me if you've read this rant before, but...

Flopping in basketball came into vogue when Euros started sullying up the sport. I'm looking at you, Vlade Divac! Apparently, in Europe, basketball is played a little too much like soccer. MAN UP! Team USA should have a slogan of "we don't dive". That would work for futbowl, or whatever it is, too.

OK. So I'm home, and have had time to decompress. Sad? Yes. But whatever, we made it to the Final Four, and are set to dominate next year, too. Atmosphere was great, but the shots just werent falling in the first half and for that ungodly bad stretch near the end of the second.

Still, had a great time, was center court 25 rows up across from the benches, and while it was sad to see us lose, we did get to the Final Four in a year when we weren't supposed to, and did so in awesome fashion exacting revenge on numerous opponents along the way.

Go cats go!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom