• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2013 Formula 1 Pre-Season Thread |OT| Plenty of Time Left in the Silly Season

Shaneus

Ugly? I'm quite intrigued by it. I actually think it looks good, too. Are they the only team that has actually made it to a 2-colour only livery? Well, the tiny bit of red on the PDVSA, but it's actually barely noticeable.

With what Sauber did to KK, I think Williams might be one of the teams I root for this year.

PS. Fun fact: Ever since Senna died, Williams cars have always had a Senna logo on the car somewhere. You can see it on the front wing for this year's one.

Shaneus

Shit, the only reason I mentioned it is because I thought it was obvious they'd kept it:
rCBPOgT.png

l28zyz9m.jpg

But maybe it just looks a lot like it. I dunno :/

Edit: With that third shot of the car (where the nose is closer) I'm 99% sure that's the Senna logo. But sad they're missing out on some big-name sponsors though. Could've done with someone like HP on board again (if only to suit the livery).

Mastah

I thought they had stopped this from last year?
Although I could be wrong

Edit: They have
http://www.yallaf1.com/2012/07/08/williams-finally-drops-senna-logo-car-tribute/

The Guardian was wrong:

"Williams F1 would like to confirm that the Senna logo that was created as a tribute following Ayrton’s tragic death in 1994, has not been removed, nor do we have any intention of removing it from our cars," it read.

Adding: "Ayrton will always have a place in our hearts and the name will live long in the heritage of Williams F1.

"The team would like to thank all the fans for their continued support and dedication to Williams F1 Team."

The original article which appeared in the Guardian has been amended, but other sources around the web continue to report the false rumour.

http://www.thef1times.com/news/display/06416

With what Sauber did to KK, I think Williams might be one of the teams I root for this year.

Yeah, they gave him 3 full seasons in F1 and a shot at F1 career after Toyota pulled out. No other team would hire someone like Kobayashi, after he drove 2 awful seasons in GP2, with 16th place both in 2008 and 2009. What a crime Sauber did, that they replaced Kobayashi after 3 years with some pay driver called Hulkenberg.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
Really like that Williams. Its doing some unique things. The exhaust setup is very unusual with what appears to be 2 exit channels.

It really looks like the McLaren is the fastest car by quite a margin again. Perez goes fastest already on only his 6th lap.

Shaneus

9X96dhp.jpg

Ferrari ruined their livery with the UPS logo. Great.
I'd never have thought such a (relatively) small logo (compared to, say, the Total one on the Lotus sidepod) could screw up something so significantly... but there you go. No longer best livery of 2013.

I think the Williams looks lovely, and it's no surprise that it's very tight at the rear given their recent cars. The side profile of the nose looks a little awkward, but it's nowhere near as clumsy as Ferrari's (which is only exaggerated by their livery design).

Dead Man

Ugly? I'm quite intrigued by it. I actually think it looks good, too. Are they the only team that has actually made it to a 2-colour only livery? Well, the tiny bit of red on the PDVSA, but it's actually barely noticeable.

PS. Fun fact: Ever since Senna died, Williams cars have always had a Senna logo on the car somewhere. You can see it on the front wing for this year's one.

I love that they are doing something different again, but on a purely aesthetic level it looks like arse to me. The fron it not so bad, but that rear just looks strange.

9X96dhp.jpg

Ferrari ruined their livery with the UPS logo. Great.

Pfft. All that black ruined their livery. Needing 60 different sponsors ruined their livery. The damn cars are going to look like NASCARS soon, with no design integrity at all.

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Now that is some ugly looking car. Designers at Williams probably modeled it after their two handsome drivers.

Mclaren once again puzzling their rabbid fans on notorious racing board with their strange testing routine

The Williams FW35 exhaust is illegal, according to Whiting. E: So is Caterham's system.

Williams and Caterham exhaust designs deemed 'illegal'

Williams and Caterham have been told by Formula 1's governing body, the FIA, that it considers the exhaust designs on their cars to be illegal.

The two teams have added extra bodywork rear of the exhaust to help enhance the way the gases work for aerodynamic effect, a key F1 technology. But the FIA has told both teams it believes the designs contravene the rules governing bodywork in that area. Williams and Caterham both say they are evaluating the situation.

A Williams spokeswoman said: "The team spoke with the FIA this morning which is when they gave us their view.
Williams

"The team are now seeking further clarification on this and a decision as to whether this design will be carried forward will be made before the first race."
A Caterham spokesman added: "We are continuing to evaluate a range of options at the pre-season tests as per our normal program."

The controversy surrounds the area of the car rear of the exhaust exits, which is strictly controlled in an attempt to reduce the teams' ability to harness exhaust gases to increase aerodynamic downforce.

Lotus technical director James Allison said two weeks ago that he did not expect Caterham's design to survive until the first race.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/formula1/21508634

About 40 minutes left and Vettel is giving Alonso the finger on his first test.

tvWyCXM.png

DrM

Redmond's Baby
Teams are complaining about new Pirelli rubber, tires are dropping out after 5-7 laps in cold weather on track with good tarmac surface. Imagine degradation in Malaysia :D

Button after the first day in Jerez:

The McLaren driver, who topped the opening day of pre-season testing at Jerez, says optimal lap times are now much easier to achieve.

"It will be tricky again in terms of laps and degradation, but Pirelli has done a great job getting a wider range for the tyres," Button told the official Formula 1 website after driving the MP4-28 for the first time. "One thing that I have noticed - you are able to go fast immediately, even on lap one. That is something that we couldn’t do last year."

Button also mentioned the high level of degradation he experienced on Tuesday, with Pirelli vowing to remove the possibility of one-stop races throughout the 2013 season.

"When I ran the Super Soft doing some basic installations I was graining the tyres after one lap, so yes, this compound deserves the name Super Soft!" he added. "We also ran the Medium and Hard tyres and it’s a different feeling compared to last year."

And Alonso's PR blurb:
"I feel reasonably pleased with this first day and I can say I share Felipe’s opinion that the car is on another planet compared to the one we began with on the first day of testing last year," said Alonso, who led the mileage stakes with a total of 110 laps. "The programme for this first session in Barcelona is aimed mainly at improving reliability, with the target of completing more than a hundred laps every day."

Alonso says performance work will not come until next week's test, which will be the final pre-season gathering before the teams pack up and head for Melbourne.

"At next week’s test we can concentrate on performance," he said. "Tomorrow, we will complete what we were unable to do today and we will focus on car set-up, to adapt it as well as possible to the tyres. I knew from looking at the Jerez data what sort of car I would find here, as in fact we know more or less what we will see at the first race, in terms of what new parts we will have and how many tenths they will produce."

pants

So whats Caterham struggling with now? Any report? (I know testing times arent anything to go by, but there is no reason for them to be 4 seconds behind and they are too small of a team to sandbag)

Mastah

He looks chubby, but that's the way his body is. 70 kilos of Bottas, so no disadvantage there compared to other drivers.

So whats Caterham struggling with now? Any report? (I know testing times arent anything to go by, but there is no reason for them to be 4 seconds behind and they are too small of a team to sandbag)

Drivers?

On a more serious note - that's where they are. 4 seconds off the pace, exactly the same as 12 months ago, during the very same test.

navanman

Crown Prince of Custom Firmware
I guess Caterham are struggling since their exhaust was declared illegal in the first test.
The Williams dual exhaust has also been declared illegal by the FIA.
Both can still run them in testing but will have to be changed before the first GP.

What's up with that '#ImSexyAndIKnowIt' thing that Lotus keeps using on Twitter? Starting to annoy me, unfollowed them for the off-season.

Top Bottom