• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2016 Australian Open |OT| 18th January - 31st January

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
Even if Federer could beat Djokovic, I don't think he has the fitness to beat Djokovic and Murray back to back in best-of-five these days.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
fortunately he would have to beat either monfils or ferrer in the final.

I would be rooting for Ferrer all the way. ;)

Not that I'd need to root for long, a 6-0, 6-1, 6-2 win by Federer wouldn't take much time.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Nishikori has to learn to deal with setbacks in big matches better. He was giving Djokovic a real match until he lost his serve from 40-0 up at 2-3 in the first set then completely imploded and couldn't get a forehand in court. Djokovic maintained his level and did enough, with some super depth when needed (he had the habit of playing his best tennis at the end of longer games, while Nishikori's repeatedly dropped off).

Though that was what Chang joined his camp for. Then again if it's not a mental breakdown, nishikoris body always seems to break down on him

Roc

Neo Member
Yeah I've given up on Fed beating Djokovic. The last two times my hopes and dreams were destroyed so I let go. I'm still amazed that Federer is this good at his age. I wonder when he'll start to decline. Also, do you think Djoker will continue to be world's best into his mid thirties? He seems almost unstoppable now.

The top guys look after their bodies to a degree that players in previous eras never did, min-maxing their diets, utilising the best recovery techniques after every match and planning their seasons out to limit wear and tear, so it wouldn't surprise me if Djokovic, barring injuries, didn't decline much in his early 30s. Ferrer has maintained his level despite a much more physically taxing approach than Federer. Father time can't be stopped, but when you are megarich, have access to the best sports science and physio expertise in the world, and have complete commitment to the cause, he can be delayed.

Ironic that it's youngest man in the top 10, Kei Nishikori, who appears the most likely to be knocked out of it thanks to his body.

Lego Boss

Agassi called it a long time ago with Nasal: He's writing cheques his body can't cash.

Seems to be the case with him. Djoker and Murray look after their bodies, but Fed has the most economical style, hence why he can stay at the top for so long.

Don't write him off yet . . .

Kozak

Banned
Federer on Kyrgios:

“Nick came to Switzerland that one time. We practiced before his big run at Wimbledon maybe. I was already unbelievably impressed at his sheer power, his talent, his potential, all that. It goes way back.

“I think he’s a great player. I think he’s enjoyable to watch. I know some people might not like it. I like it.

“He’s got a lot of personality. Might take it far to some extent, but I think he’s a great player. He’s got sick power, and it’s going to take him a long way.

“I just think the next couple years are going to be so crucial for him, and I just hope he’s aware of that fact.”

mcfrank

Yeah I've given up on Fed beating Djokovic. The last two times my hopes and dreams were destroyed so I let go. I'm still amazed that Federer is this good at his age. I wonder when he'll start to decline. Also, do you think Djoker will continue to be world's best into his mid thirties? He seems almost unstoppable now.

Not to be pedantic as I know you mean slams, but Fed won 1 of their last two previous matches. Fed won 3/8 times they played last year. Djokovic certainly won when it mattered most at the US Open and Wimbledon, but it is, in my opinion, very silly to give up on someone who has won 3/8 previous matches. Djokovic lost 6 matches last year, 3 of them were to Fed. He is by no means unbeatable and Fed has a better chance than anyone.

oti

Banned
Nope, won't stay up late for the Kerber match. I'm just too tired. Please please let her get through to the semis though. Y'all gonna root for my girl (she's from Kiel!), right?

Nemo

Will Eat Your Children
he's going to lose the semi so no risk of that.

federer has not beaten djokovic in a big match since 2012. while streaks always end, there is really no reason to believe it will end now. federer will probably pull one of his classic 2 or 3 break points converted out of 16-20.
Oh only now I'm seeing they meeting in the SF, pff, there's still hope then. Just stick it out a litte bit longer Roger

Milchmann

Great match from Kerber. Played amazing tennis for the most time and surprisingly didn't fall into a negative spiral like many other times. Huge opportunity now.

Might have had a tear in my eye at the end there. Love to see a likeable player overcome a massive H2H disadvantage in a big match like that. Azarenka appeared to have established total control at 5-2 40-15, when she started going for everything and making almost everything. Azarenka could hardly believe what was coming across the net and let her level dip briefly, with a couple of killer UEs in the final game. Kerber never stopped, finishing match point with a magnificent full stretch forehand pass. Now she's favourite to reach her first ever Slam final. Bet she's glad she saved that match point in R1!

inm8num2

Sigh...another solid Fed run will end at the hands of the Djoker. Not that I dislike Djokovic, but I just wish Fed could beat him and get that elusive 18th GS title. Should be a great SF match regardless.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Hope Zhang turns it around. Would be crazy if she ended up making the final after considering retirement.

Sounds interesting, I'd like to see it in action though before making any judgement. Needs a better name :p

How many of y'all believe in the MISSILE?

If he plays as aggressive as he has been, he has a good chance to make the final imo. Depends if Monfils or Clownfils shows up. Also wonder if Monfils' wrist will be 100% after that crash he took.

Konta letting nerves get to her serving for the first set at 5-2. Few first serves and couple of double faults to let her opponent get a break back.

AoM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom