• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2016 Australian Open |OT| 18th January - 31st January

Status
Not open for further replies.

oti

Banned
After so many years trying to tell Germans how proud they should be of their players. After so many years of them not caring because "Steffi was better". Fuck them. I'm so happy. Such a great final.

BowieZ

Banned
Classy speeches by both.
Probably the classiest pair of speeches I've seen in a long while. Yeah, the players often congratulate their opponent but they both sounded (and most likely were) incredibly genuine, which is especially remarkable considering what Serena just lost.

oti

Banned
This is the time guys, tweet @2K and ask about Top Spin 5. A new German tennis boom could convince them to release a new tennis video game.

What a match, what an upset. I really didn't think Kerber would come through after letting chances slip at 2-5 and 3-5, but she held it together and did. Her defence frustrated Serena, forcing her to come forward, and then she nailed almost every passing shot (and Serena missed some easy drive volleys in the first set, losing her confidence). She returned incredibly well too, to the point where the Aces stat was close for much of the match.

Serena was unbelievably classy in defeat. She had a somewhat off day, especially on serve, against the wrong opponent. Still think she'll match Graf's record, probably at Wimbledon.

Faith

1c2bou.png

I hope Djokovic wins, but I wouldn't be sad if Murray does.

leng jai

Serena was actually pretty classy in the ceremony, she seemed genuinely happy for Kerber. Shame about her antics during the match.

fantastic match, I love how female tennis is like a big family. anyway Aussie Zhang for 2017 (I kid)

edit: like all years, can always listen to aus open radio if u wanna avoid those espn nuts :p

MIMIC

Banned
That only person who predicted Kerber to win. Wow.

Is Dimitrov 12-years-old in that pic? lol

But I was more surprised that only 1 person picked Serena. They usually give Serena the benefit of the doubt despite her form, but I guess they all realized that they can't do that forever.

MIMIC

Banned
They asked Kerber about those drop shots. She said she was shaking, and was like "please, please go over the net!" lol

Anyone know were would find video of Nole celebrating with Gordon Reid today after he won the Wheelchair Aus Open? not on youtube or aus open site, but was shown on TV

I know the WTA often cops a lot of shit including on here but it really is fantastic seeing the female side of the sport treated so seriously. It had to be by far the biggest female sport in the world and tennis should be proud of that.

Anyway was a good match and it was great seeing a new winner.

Milchmann

What a tournament for German women's tennis. Siegemund, Friedsam and Beck with their best Slam results, Kerber winning and even Görges and Lisicki won a match.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom