• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2nd Democratic National Primary Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Crocodile

Was "go to my website" a common thing in closing statements (or just general statements) the 2012 and 2008 campaigns? I legit don't remember

Prediction: a certain subset of millennials are going to flood every post-debate poll they can find, will lose their shit and claim a conspiracy when every media outlet calls this one for Clinton, and a dozen statisticians will inexplicably have aneurysms at precisely the same time.

Quite the ballsy claim there.

there's this thing called the internet

What does the revolution look like?

What defines the revolution?

Is it a violent revolution? If yes, the government will break it up and arrest people for treason.

Is it a revolution that only involves organizing and quietly protesting? How is it different from Occupy Wall Street?

The problem with the revolution Bernie describes is that it requires millions of average people across America to quietly assemble and organize themselves over social media and it doesn't have any defined goals.

What happens if a lot of the fervor for change is ameliorated by a higher minimum wage?

FiggyCal

Banned
It's taking taxpayer money and spending it for society's good by providing for those who can't currently afford to themselves. Why should the government pay for college tuition for the children of millionaires or billionaires?

If we hold that college should be free; then we should be consistent in that it should be free for everyone and not just a particular group of people. Same with universal healthcare tbh. If we hold that healthcare is a right for all people; then we should treat it as a right for all people.

Condom

And now we come to the real heart of this debate, pragmatism vs idealism.
LOL center-left peeps also use that pragmatism argument when their policy ends up doing jack shit

Fucking hell you guys that believe you should not vote for ideals should read up on history

bounchfx

I think if anything Sanders has at least forced Hillary to move a little more to the left than she otherwise would have been. I said earlier her plans seem more realistic, but I've enjoyed Sanders getting under her skin, bringing to light what could be, and making her be a bit more liberal

yeah for sure

to me it all comes down to the issues. i couldn't give a fuck who is in charge, as long as they fight for ideals that are pro-people and looking to improve life for everyone. i mean shit, I wish we voted specifically on issues instead of having to pick a 'least worst person' every four years, but that's not how it works haha. so if hilldawg is actually going to give it her best to push those policies through, then that's great. bernie does seem a lot more idealistic but that's also kinda why I like him. he's stood his ground on what he believes and it really has the betterment of the people in mind.

but regardless of who wins itll be interesting to watch, as always

The oft forgotten problem of all the "incremental long game" posturing is that, well, it rarely accounts for the long simmering, it not accelerating, regressive nonsense---it'd be one thing if our status quo actually befit the year 2015 in any sort of respectable way, but centimeters forward will go awry versus the long ongoing inches backwards.

I mean, The Increments has been the background drone for decades now as the great assurance almost to the point of something of an afterlife apparatus.

The thought of old man Bernie negotiating with Putin or combating ISIS is so absurd. This guy is just not presidential material, that much is abundantly clear from this debate. No wonder he can't even come close to Hilldawg in the polls, all Americans see this as well.

Hilldawg is the hero we need.

All she needs to say is "CUT IT OUT!" Right?

Bernie's example of a crisis that prepared him to be president is negotiating a fucking piece of legislation, and O'Malley literally admitted he has no answer and is unprepared.

Once again, Hillary absolutely slays it. Killing fucking Bin Laden. These fools are not even competition.

Lol, that was hilarious.

Ya! That's exactly what we need. Let's go invade some more countries!

kirblar

The oft forgotten problem of all the "incremental long game" posturing is that, well, it rarely accounts for the long simmering, it not accelerating, regressive nonsense---it'd be one thing if our status quo actually befit the year 2015 in any sort of respectable way, but centimeters forward will go awry versus the long ongoing inches backwards.

I mean, The Increments has been the background drone for decades now as the great assurance almost to the point of something of an afterlife apparatus.
The backwards stuff is happening primarily at the state level in large part due to gerrymandering and GOP control. It's a huge issue.

Hazmat

If we hold that college should be free; then we should be consistent in that it should be free for everyone and not just a particular group of people. Same with universal healthcare tbh. If we hold that healthcare is a right for all citizens; then we should treat it as a right for everyone.

It would be great if that was the case, but we live in the real world and things cost money. I'd rather not spend tax money subsidizing college for people who can afford it. Is it fair? Nope!

That's the problem. If Bernie wants to lead the revolution he has to show the way. And thats got to be something more than donating to him and putting him in office.

Millions of people stand up, turn off the TV and then.... what? No, seriously, WHAT?

That's not a revolution. That's a normal campaign, and its not going to cut it when the goal is systemic upheaval.

Obama wanted compromise and meeting across the aisle - that was his way, rhetorically linked to the very core ideals behind the country in a way that resonated. What is Bernie's way?

ntropy

Bernie's Wall Street segment rocked Hilary

her corner was like
HJfk58T.gif

I don't understand how Bernie is going to win a general with saying how shitty everything is and running away from Obama's accomplishments.

Pendulum politics only swings two ways and he's the same party as the guy who has been President for 8 years. It's the same reason why 2012 was good for Dems. They had Obama going out reminding people of all the stuff he's actually gotten done with what he had inherited.

billeh

Is it a violent revolution? If yes, the government will break it up and arrest people for treason.

Is it a revolution that only involves organizing and quietly protesting? How is it different from Occupy Wall Street?

The problem with the revolution Bernie describes is that it requires millions of average people across America to quietly assemble and organize themselves over social media and it doesn't have any defined goals.

What happens if a lot of the fervor for change is ameliorated by a higher minimum wage?
I think "just get off your ass and vote" is what he's going for.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
I remember Reagan and the incremental moves forward for conservatism. Ever so slight those increments were.

It's so clear Hillary has plants in the audience to clap.

Yes, absolutely. And all those polls showing that Hilldawg is absolutely crushing Bernie are also a conspiracy! It simply cannot be the case that there are more Hillary fans in the audience because far more Hillary fans exist!

The delusion of Bernie fans is as adorable as a little old man passionately yelling at clouds past his bedtime.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom