• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 2nd Democratic National Primary Debate

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like what Bernie says, but my main issue and why I think Hillary is a better choice is her answers and plans are more practical and realistic versus Sanders which seem simply idealistic. He seems to believe he can convince Congresss to do things that a much less liberal, yet equally charismatic President (Obama) couldn't even remotely do. I'm worried what will happen if he's elected, and gets blocked at every turn. I'd rather a candidate that has anticipated that versus one who seems to ignore that very likely possibility

Vire

"The revolution never came, and I waited, and I have the scars to prove it" is probably the most politically potent line she's given tonight. Its the basis of her candidacy as a pragmatic moderate, her answer to her own history and Sanders in one short sentence.
You know she had that shit in her back pocket.

So a lot of Bernie's platform and what he hopes to achieve requires "the people to stand up and start the revolution". How will he or anyone be able to realistically to that?

Obviously, this is where his gun control differences come in: he'll announce that he's giving full-automatic rifles to his supporters and the revolution starts tomorrow.

"The revolution never came, and I waited, and I have the scars to prove it" is probably the most politically potent line she's given tonight. Its the basis of her candidacy as a pragmatic moderate, her answer to her own history and Sanders in one short sentence.
This. Probably my favorite statement from her tonight.

UraMallas

Channeling Hunter S Thompson will move the needle only so far with me.

amnesiac

I'm getting tired of Bernie's "the people need to stand up" and statistics arguments. Hillary is looking much stronger, IMO. O'Malley is doing really well also.

The debate system where if you get attacked, you get to speak, is good, but it really shuts out the less high-polling candidates for large blocks of time...

bounchfx

It was straight up bullshit, though...

pretty much the biggest problem with politics in general
i could go up on stage telling everyone there that al queda is back and managing taco bells across pennsylvania and it would take weeks if not months to properly educate people on the truth and undo the damage. lies are really fucking powerful and destructive on grand scales because the chances are people are going to blindly believe what people say until they see it disproved, but the chances of them learning the truth will be slim and by that time they may refuse to change their minds

im rambling

kirblar

Vox: How Single Payer Health Care Fell Apart in Vermont
It was Friday, December 12, when Robin Lunge began worrying that Vermont's single-payer plan was doomed.

Lunge, Gov. Peter Shumlin's director of health reform, had spent weeks trying to make the math work for a public health insurance plan that would cover all Vermonters. Since Thanksgiving, she had been sending numbers off to M.I.T. economist Jonathan Gruber (yes, that Jonathan Gruber) and Wakely Consulting, an actuarial firm.

The models Gruber was running were meant to project the cost of Vermont's plan under different scenarios. What if the health plan covered 80 percent of the typical Vermonter's health care costs? What about 94 percent? But as the numbers got more concrete — as they closed in on the plan the governor actually wanted — the financial foundation began to crack. Lunge knew by that Friday that the single-payer system Vermont wanted to build would require about $2.5 billion in additional revenue in its first year.

In Vermont, this is massive: the state only raises $2.7 billion in taxes a year for every program it funds. Early estimates said that Vermont's single-payer plan might need $1.6 billion in additional funds — a huge lift. But $2.5 billion was impossible.
It cost too much.

Sianos

Yeah, that really encapsulates her persona as a candidate and at least personally is a strong motivator - the revolution hasn't come, and it won't just come: we must be the ones to set it in motion ourselves

RELIGHT

Banned
I like what Bernie says, but my main issue and why I think Hillary is a better choice is her answers and plans are more practical and realistic versus Sanders which seem simply idealistic. He seems to believe he can convince Congresss to do things that a much less liberal, yet equally charismatic President (Obama) couldn't even remotely do. I'm worried what will happen if he's elected, and gets blocked at every turn. I'd rather a candidate that has anticipated that versus one who seems to ignore that very likely possibility

So essentially the candidate that won't challenge the status quo at all and essentially concede instead of fighting?

I'll go with Bernie since at minimum he'd try.

Yes Hillary, you really waited an enormous amount of time for revolution as opposed to currying with the already risen and higher ladders still that most will never even glimpse still as soon as you manged to get up the ladder and tuck it up behind you...oh wait...

Jenov

That's how I see it as well. I love Bernie's enthusiasm and ideals, but I'm not convinced he'll get any of it to go through, congress just won't shift that far that fast. Clinton comes across as much more reasonable in her approach, and very experienced with how the system works and gets things done. All of her answers come across as very practical and realistic. She holds herself well. If anything, it's great that Bernie is helping to push the entire conversation more left.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I appreciate some of the ideas that Sanders is putting forward but it is quite obvious that it is an absolute idealist campaign without any concrete plans on how to get it these things accomplished.

Him not knowing how much he would tax these wealthiest americans he keeps mentioning does not inspire much confidence. Isn't the income inequality a tent pole of his entire campaign? Shouldn't he know how he is going to try to accomplish that? The obstructionism in Congress now is absolutely nothing compared to what he would face if elected. What is his strategy on combating this?

(I'm about an hour behind right now so maybe some of my questions will be answered.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom