• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 58th Presidential Inauguration Ceremony: President Donald J Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ac30

Just in case you're interested in a few reactions to the inauguration speech from german outlets:

Spiegel:
This is a threat
Donald Trump's inauguration speech was frightening - for every american who doesn't want to be part of his movement. And for the whole world.

BILD
Why is inauguration speech was a reckoning
Let's start with what Donald Trump didn't say, even though it would have seemed obvious for the rest of the world: Sentences like "I understand that the first and most important task of my presidency is to reunite this torn country."

FAZ
A declaration of war beyond example ("Kampfansage" meaning not literally)
Donald Trump's inauguration speech was a declaration of war like one has never heard before. Europe and Germany should consider it a wake-up-call.

Zeit Online
The new deal
Donald Trump is president. His mission: "Together we will determine the course of amerca and the world for many, many years." This is a threat.

WELT
Trump on steroids
Donald Trump is now the most powerful man in the world. His inauguration speech was unusual, even radical.

RP Online
America as a global power will be gone for the next 4 years
The harrowing message of Trump's inauguration speech is that this president doesn't have a plan. After swearing the oath of office, he repeats his campaign slogans for 15 minutes and settles the score with Washington's political establishment. Nothing else to see here.

I could go on.

Whenever Merkel calls for that 2-speed EU solution and we get to vote on further integration I'm going to be first in line.

tuxfool

Banned
Just in case you're interested in a few reactions to the inauguration speech from german outlets:

Spiegel:
This is a threat
Donald Trump's inauguration speech was frightening - for every american who doesn't want to be part of his movement. And for the whole world.

BILD
Why is inauguration speech was a reckoning
Let's start with what Donald Trump didn't say, even though it would have seemed obvious for the rest of the world: Sentences like "I understand that the first and most important task of my presidency is to reunite this torn country."

FAZ
A declaration of war beyond example ("Kampfansage" meaning not literally)
Donald Trump's inauguration speech was a declaration of war like one has never heard before. Europe and Germany should consider it a wake-up-call.

Zeit Online
The new deal
Donald Trump is president. His mission: "Together we will determine the course of amerca and the world for many, many years." This is a threat.

WELT
Trump on steroids
Donald Trump is now the most powerful man in the world. His inauguration speech was unusual, even radical.

RP Online
America as a global power will be gone for the next 4 years
The harrowing message of Trump's inauguration speech is that this president doesn't have a plan. After swearing the oath of office, he repeats his campaign slogans for 15 minutes and settles the score with Washington's political establishment. Nothing else to see here.

I could go on.

I'm sure that you'll find similar blurbs all over the sane newspapers of the world.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
It's very sad that this needed to be stated at all.

GAF is scaring me lately. The personal attacks have gotten out of control. The vast majority of us hate Trump--the whole world does!--but jesus you gotta stop with this non stop stream of hatred. It's not OK to attack or belittle Trump supporters (as long as they have no record of racist views or anything crazy) or make fun of Trump's young son. Trump being a bully does not excuse your bad behavior. I'm not trying to be a mod... these should be rules of life not just on a gaming forum.

Gutek

GAF is scaring me lately. The personal attacks have gotten out of control. The vast majority of us hate Trump--the whole world does!--but jesus you gotta stop with this non stop stream of hatred. It's not OK to attack or belittle Trump supporters (as long as they have no record of racist views or anything crazy) or make fun of Trump's young son. Trump being a bully does not excuse your bad behavior. I'm not trying to be a mod... these should be rules of life not just on a gaming forum.

At least they're not advocating the killing of innocent people.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Oh dear...

How is Ivanka?
Well, in her book she kept saying she didn't have great advantages as a child, and touted her ability to 'convince' her father's house staff to buy lemonade from her as a valuable life lesson. She willingly played along with the campaign and attempted to put a good face out there to cover up her father's awful misogyny. She used the campaign to sell her fashion line.

She stood by and defended her father 100% for the 18 month campaign. She's awful, she just knows how to appear more pleasant than much of her family.

SexyFish

Banned
Eric, Don Jr. and Ivanka are adults.

Barron is 10.

It's not hard to draw a line here.
(not really directed at you but this thread is a bit of a shitshow right now)

Oh I know. I definitely agree. The adult children have proven their shitiness. He's 10 and can grow up to be fine person.

Okay fair enough. Anything about Ivanka?
There was a weird post from the Buzzfeed CEO claiming this...

51rYVij.png

Also you can say her working on her father's campaign itself is a shitty thing to do.

sphagnum

Banned

There's nothing wrong with belittling people who voted for a racist authortarian.

Dalibor68

Banned
Was there a reason the police responded that way? Why not just let protesters protest as long as nobody gets hurt.

The video starts with them pepper-spraying into the crowd so we don't know what happened before that (or if anything happened before that), but the way it seems now it definitely looks excessive.

Is this the German Buzzfeed?

It's badly translated. "Kampfansage" is like "Pledge to fight (crime, poverty, etc)".

Coffinhal

And again I don't think at 10 it's possible to completely coach them to these situations. Also prior to these elections there is no way he was exposed to the public this often. Look at child actors for instance. The ability for them to be natural or comfortable on a camera is rare. Barron looks like a kid in front of a big crowd trying to look how they've coached him.

It's not about "coaching", it's about social codes that are in your environment and that children in these environment, like any other person, are making theirs. In simple words, he's trained by his environment to behave just like his half-brothers and of course his father.

It has little to do with child actors and "public" obviously doesn't mean being in front of 250.000 people, but rather multiple events that he attended, including photoshoots where he always wears a suit (or mounts a giant lion doll).

If you can't understand such basic concepts and continues to believe that he's a random kid in an average environment, I'm sorry but I won't take time to answer you next time.

Couldn't agree more.

MUnited83

For you.
Voting for Trump is the record of racist views. People who elect such a piece of shit should be belittled at every single step of the way. Same with any people that voted for any fascist.

RinsFury

Maybe instead of feeling bad for the gloating Trump supporters, you could spare a bit of empathy for the millions of minorities about to be thrust under the rule of a white supremacist bigot. Or the countless poor and disenfranchised about to lose their health care and benefits they need to survive. This is a terrifying day for those without privilege.

whytemyke

Honorary Canadian.
Eric Trump said strong women don't let themselves get sexually harassed.

Don Jr. used a gas chamber reference and likened refugees to poisoned skittles.
Barron also is widely known for his controversial stances on Cookie Crisp being the best cereal ever, as well as being a holocaust denier.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I'm not going to defend bullying, but it's incredibly difficult to divorce a Trump supporter from Trump's numerous racist and offensive views and policies. There's at least an implied tolerance of such bigotry. I mean, c'mon.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
It's not about "coaching", it's about social codes that are in your environment and that children in these environment, like any other person, are making theirs. In simple words, he's trained by his environment to behave just like his half-brothers and of course his father.

It has little to do with child actors and "public" obviously doesn't mean being in front of 250.000 people, but rather multiple events that he attended, including photoshoots where he always wears a suit (or mounts a giant lion doll).

I get what you're saying, but I still don't think that's something that will always work out exactly as planned. Not to mention he really hasn't done anything out of the ordinary. He looks a little bored, and his waves look calculated as in "ok they told me to make eye contact and wave". He looked completely average for a 10 year old in front of a million people.

rjinaz

People are cherry picking the really bad apples here of course. Most admit they hate Trump but aren't going crazy.

JaseMath

I agree with you. The rabid hatred of Trump and his supporters is deepening the divide that these same people want to eliminate. A few pages back, there was a post about a fat cat in top hat and some protestor who destroyed it and my first thought was, "What gives that protestor the right to destroy something that isn't his? Why does he get a free pass to be a fucking asshole like that?"

You want change? Lead by example. As for GAF, stop using your pseudo-anonymity on the internet as an excuse to be vile human beings.

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
Barron also is widely known for his controversial stances on Cookie Crisp being the best cereal ever, as well as being a holocaust denier.

Apparently he used his connections to make the switch online go through your phone. I see through his facade.

Biske

Daaaaaaaaaaamn just got a shot of some empty bleachers and the comment "this is going to bother him"

Oooooooh you bet it will.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom