• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 58th Presidential Inauguration Ceremony: President Donald J Trump

Status
Not open for further replies.

jelly

Was this posted?

Well, we're waiting. Drop the axe on Trump.

cookie_monster_waiting.gif

Dunkley

If the results were reversed and Trump won the popular vote and Hillary won the election you'd all love the EC.

I admit I'd be happy it was there then, not gonna lie there, however with that said it would have meant in the end that the majority of voters got who they wanted in office rather than what we have now, and that's how it should be regardless of this election's result.

EC feels like a tiebreaker that was accidentally elevated to be the deciding system while in reality it should be popular vote first and then EC.

Then rural whites wouldnt have anything to say and democrats would win every time

EC shouldnt be scrapped

Oh sheesh, how terrible it would be that the majority of American voters actually decided who gets into office?

Personally however it would be interesting since it'd incentivize non-swing states voters to actually participate in the elections, rather than feeling their vote means jack shit since the state is set on one side anyway.

Hip Hop

Then rural whites wouldnt have anything to say and democrats would win every time

EC shouldnt be scrapped

I agree.

It also helps the smaller guys (that being smaller states and towns) have a voice and not just brushed off to the side by mega cities. Very important protection.

Obama won easily so there is no excuse. Run a better campaign next time and try again. Good thing you can't be President forever.

I get the sentiment, but . . . fuck it I'm watching. It's history. I was glued to the TV during Bush's presidency (for many obviously different reasons) but still. It's like, I can't NOT watch. I've tried.
This, it's history
I've been watching these since Regan got sworn in, granted I was playing with Lego's at the time but still, it's something I always watch. Me watching isn't going to force his laws to happen faster, plus he wrote his own speech so you k ow this is going to be something we never seen before. Should be interesting.

I agree.

It also helps the smaller guys (that being smaller states and towns) have a voice and not just brushed off to the side by mega cities.

Obama won easily so there is no excuse. Run a better campaign next time and try again. Good thing you can't be President forever.

Doesn't help smaller states and cities at all. It helps whatever states are swing states.

When's the last time someone campaigned in Wyoming or Vermont? Meanwhile, one of the states politicians always campaign in (Florida) is the fourth biggest state (and almost third).

MUnited83

For you.
I agree.

It also helps the smaller guys (that being smaller states and towns) have a voice and not just brushed off to the side by mega cities.

Yeah, let's give some people a vote that weights a lot more than others! What a great show of equality and democracy!

It also doesn't fucking help smaller guys or towns at all. In fact it guarantees candidates only focus in a couple of swing states instead of actually hearing all the people in the US.

Broken.Antidemocratic.Fucking.System.

This, it's history
I've been watching these since Regan got sworn in, granted I was playing with Lego's at the time but still, it's something I always watch. Me watching isn't going to force his laws to happen faster, plus he wrote his own speech so you k ow this is going to be something we never seen before. Should be interesting.

I forgot how long Obama's inaugurations were. I wonder how long Trumps will be since he'll probably ramble about a bunch of stuff, walk off while his lawyer or someone talks for a bit, and then he'll come back and ramble some more.

Also will there will be any props like his last press conference?

chadskin

This, it's history

"I would like to welcome everyone, including the haters and losers -- of which there are many, believe me --, to MY inauguration."

I agree.

Smaller guys do have a voice, and in no way should their voice be louder than anyone else's. You also have state and local elections where their voices can actually be heard(and in which they continue to fuck up big time), without screwing over the rest of the damn country, which is precisely what happened in 2001 and now 2017.

There's no logical defense for the Electoral College. It's failed Americans twice now.

Uzzy

I agree.

It also helps the smaller guys (that being smaller states and towns) have a voice and not just brushed off to the side by mega cities. Very important protection.

It's doing a terrible job at this 'very important protection'

Darksol

Are we still doing lyrics? Because this song has been on my mind since the primaries were over.

NOFX - Idiots Are Taking Over

It's not the right time to be sober
Now the idiots have taken over
Spreading like a social cancer, is there an answer?

Mensa membership conceding
Tell me why and how are all the stupid people breeding
Watson, it's really elementary
The industrial revolution
Has flipped the bitch on evolution
The benevolent and wise are being thwarted, ostracized, what a bummer
The world keeps getting dumber
Insensitivity is standard and faith is being fancied over reason

Darwin's rolling over in his coffin
The fittest are surviving much less often
Now everything seems to be reversing, and it's worsening
Someone flopped a steamer in the gene pool
Now angry mob mentality's no longer the exception, it's the rule
And I'm starting to feel a lot like Charlton Heston
Stranded on a primate planet
Apes and orangutans that ran it to the ground
With generals and the armies that obeyed them
Followers following fables
Philosophies that enable them to rule without regard

There's no point for democracy when ignorance is celebrated
Political scientists get the same one vote as some Arkansas inbred
Majority rule, don't work in mental institutions
Sometimes the smallest softest voice carries the grand biggest solutions

What are we left with?
A nation of god-fearing pregnant nationalists
Who feel it's their duty to populate the homeland
Pass on traditions
How to get ahead religions
And prosperity via simpleton culture

The idiots are taking over [x8]

This song and most of the album was striking out at Bush. I think we're definitely in need of The War on Errorism Pt. 2

This is generally the song I think of when I think of America.

Steel

Banned
This, it's history

I have a feeling that he "wrote" his own speech like Millania "wrote" her own RNC speech. No way his staff would let him go uncensored at a time like this.

I agree.

while i agree that the dems lost cause of their own dumbass decisions, i have no problem giving rural farmers less say.

its 2017. its easy math to determine that a rural farmer has more say than someone living in a city because of how the EC works. thats not democracy.

Dalibor68

Banned
"I would like to welcome everyone, including the haters and losers -- of which there are many, believe me --, to MY inauguration."

Haha. Watching his first press conference I had to repeadedly burst out laughing, especcially when the lawyer lady came and pushed him away and he slouched off. (still have to laugh at the gif) Wonder if we'll get something of similar comedic value today.

Boem

This, it's history

About that, he tweeted this:

Writing my inaugural address at the Winter White House, Mar-a-Lago, three weeks ago. Looking forward to Friday. #Inauguration
C2eFuVtUcAEpXW8.jpg

I don't believe anything that man says. That photo looks fake as fuck. Apart from him awkwardly posing there (where is that? does he have a desk in his bathroom?), what's he actually doing? The desk is entirely empty, no reference material or anything (or a computer), just some perfectly stacked paper and..a pen? Is he writing it all out? How many pages is that? Is this going to be a 4 hour speech? Everything about it looks fake as fuck.

Of course, I don't think he has the attention span to write his own speech. And he's a liar, so every time he says something I automatically assume the opposite.

Not that lying about him writing his own speech is anywhere near the biggest scandal surrounding him of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom