• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 85th Academy Awards |OT| I like the way you snub, boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Javier

last time was Driving Miss Daisy in 1989. Its win also went down in history, but that's not a good thing.
Forgot about Driving Miss Daisy. I was thinking of Grand Hotel back in the 30s which won Best Picture and wasn't nominated for anything else.

But hey, more than two decades, my post in still accurate. ;-)

nick nacc

Banned
Argo was great. I'm cool with Ben getting the win, his movies are consistently amazing. It blows my mind he has went from writing good will hunting to this.

harSon

Banned
All Best Picture winners automatically become terrible and overrated and horrible.

I enjoyed it, but it was nowhere near the best picture of the year. Well I suppose it was deserving of a nomination, but quite a few of the films nominated alongside it were unquestionably better.

Wilbur

Banned
Bit underwhelming. I really liked Argo to be honest but it doesn't have that feel to it that a Best Picture Oscar should have (but nothing has for a while). Meh.

Delighted for Affleck tho

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
The Oscars is going to do the same thing as LOTR. They'll give all the awards to the third one for the entire series.

Pretty much, they aren't getting shit until There and Back Again. At which point they sweep the oscars and win everything like Return of the King.

ToxicAdam

You know what helped Argo? They nailed the casting in that movie. Every single secondary part in that movie was played by brilliant actors. Even the hostages did a great, believeable job.

All those small parts helped make Argo way better than it should have been.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
ZDT is good to Americans.. I found it boring, and if it weren't for the fact it was based on true events, it'd have not gotten the praise it did.

I'm Canadian, btw.

fleck0

Absolutely not.

Also since they're theming now, this year was a salute to musicals, wtf are they going to salute next year that can also be performed on a stage? Acting?

I agree they've blown their wad on the musical theme. But none of the awards in the last 15 years were more watchable.

jtb

Banned
Pretty much, they aren't getting shit until There and Back Again. At which point they sweep the oscars and win everything like Return of the King.

Fellowship and the Two Towers got a ridiculous amount of nominations. The Hobbit ain't getting shit; it's just another big-budget picture at this point to the academy.

Argo was a "good movie" because it was fun to watch, the chases, the suspense in all it's traditional Hollywood film glory. But I would definitely not considered it as best picture material. I donno it wasn't that deep or dramatic. Meh whatever.

ckohler

ABC is going to put the entire program on ABC.com for streaming tomorrow at 3:00pm. In case you want to watch it again. I just saw it, announced.

Anth0ny

Meh, I didn't think Argo was that great. Wouldn't watch it twice.

Happy Christoph Waltz won best supporting actor. Dude is fantastic. Django should have won best picture!

Salsa

tally with my predictions (striked = ones I got wrong)

1- Best Movie: Argo
2- Best Actor: Daniel Day-Lewis - Lincoln
3- Best Actress leading role: Emmanuelle Riva - Amour
4- Best Actor supporting role: Robert De Niro - Silver Linings Playbook
5- Best Actress supporting role: Anne Hathaway - Les Miserables
6- Best Animated Film: Frankenweenie
7- Cinematography: Life of Pi - Claudio Miranda
8- Costume Design: Les Misérables - Paco Delgado
9- Best Director: Steven Spielberg - Lincoln
10- Best Documentary: Searching for Sugar Man - Malik Bendjelloul, Simon Chinn
11- Best Documentary short: Mondays at Racine - Cynthia Wade, Robin Honan
12- Best Editing: Argo - William Goldenberg
13- Best foreign film: Amour - Austria
14- Best makeup: Les Misérables - Lisa Westcott, Julie Dartnell
15- OST: Life of Pi - Mychael Danna
16- Best song: Skyfall, Skyfall - Adele Adkins, Paul Epworth
17- Production design: Life of Pi - David Gropman; Anna Pinnock
18- Animated short: Paperman - John Kahrs
19- Live action short: Curfew - Shawn Christensen
20- Sound editing: Life of Pi - Eugene Gearty and Philip Stockton
21- Sound mixing: Les Misérables - Andy Nelson, Mark Paterson, Simon Hayes
22- VFX: Life of Pi - Westenhofer, Rocheron, De Boer, Elliott
23- Adapted screenplay: Argo - Chris Terrio
24- Original screenplay: Django Unchained - Quentin Tarantino

18/24

not bad

Tamanon

Banned
Thus far, Affleck's track record for directing movies has been outstanding. Can't wait to see what his next one will be. I loved Gone Baby Gone, Argo, and The Town.

LuuKyK

oh wow

tumblr_mir7haujof1s6kxfto1_1280.jpg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Fellowship and the Two Towers got a ridiculous amount of nominations. The Hobbit ain't getting shit; it's just another big-budget picture at this point to the academy.

Nominations, not wins. And I meant if they win anything it'll be like Return of the King all over again.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
Argo was a "good movie" because it was fun to watch, the chases, the suspense in all it's traditional Hollywood film glory. But I would definitely not considered it as best picture material. I donno it wasn't that deep or dramatic. Meh whatever.

Argo got the suspense right. Even though you knew they'd make it out, the airport scene was fantastic nonetheless. Great balance of suspense and hope.

yami4ct

The Oscars is going to do the same thing as LOTR. They'll give all the awards to the third one for the entire series.

Depends on if Jackson can really kill it with 2 and 3. If he can't really stick the landing, the Oscars will likely just ignore him. The first had some serious issues even the academy can't ignore.

Now, if he really does some amazing work on part 3, Hobbit will sweep almost every award that year.

harSon

Banned
ZDT is good to Americans.. I found it boring, and if it weren't for the fact it was based on true events, it'd have not gotten the praise it did.

I'm Canadian, btw.

The film would have been better than it was had it not been based on true events. The film had a brilliantly momentous 1st and 2nd act, but unfortunately everyone knew what the narrative was leading up too. Had the climax of the film been a complete mystery, the film would have been a classic IMO.

Koodo

Banned
Purely from a show standpoint, this year's broadcast was middling, largely because Seth MacFarlane was flatter than a panini. How is he employed?

Wilbur

Banned
Yay. Once again, we haven't had a memorable BP winner since what, No Country for Old Men?

Yeah, this is what I mean by the feel of a proper Oscar winner. NCFOM and TWBB were both nominated in 2007, and Jesse James and Zodiac weren't. All four would have been absolutely fucking great choices for Best Picture and they would have all felt like something worthy of being called Best Picture, even if they weren't necessarily the best.

But The Artist? Slumdog Millionaire? The King's Speech? The Hurt Locker? All distinctly underwhelming. Argo is the one I've liked the most since NCFOM, but Lincoln/Life of Pi/Django and even Silver Linings probably felt more like Best Pictures to me.

I don't know what the argument for that is in my head. Fuck me.

Alucard

Banned
Which movie winning WOULDN'T have resulted in major backlash? None of them. That's which one.

Life of Pi - OMG RELIGIOUS PROPAGANDA.
Zero Dark Thirty - AMERICA PATTING ITSELF ON THE BACK. FUCK THIS SHIT.
Silver Linings Playbook - WTF IS THIS MOVIE?! MORE JUNO SHIT.
Amour - BORING. BORING. BORING.
Lincoln - UUUGH. SUCH A VANILLA CHOICE. FILM WAS BLAND.
Beasts of the Southern Wild - ONLY BECAUSE THE GIRL IS 9. WTF IS THIS MOVIE?
Django Unchained - NOT EVEN QT'S BEST WORK. PLUS, IT'S RACIST.
Les Miserables - BAD SINGING AND BLAND SCREENPLAY. SO BORING.
Argo - ANOTHER "AMERICA! FUCK YEAH!" MOVIE!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom