• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The 85th Academy Awards |OT| I like the way you snub, boy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salsa

What was this in reaction to?

the world we live in

qrzw4tzxzdjko40.gif
qrzw4tzxzdjko40.gif
qrzw4tzxzdjko40.gif

joaquin phoenix will win one day.
He has one more film with PTA coming. Also, films with James Gray and Spike Jonze.
Dude is going to be one of the GOAT's for sure.

newjeruse

Gone Baby Gone was fantastic. It almost felt like people didn't know how to deal with Affleck making a good film, so they just left it out come award time.
GBG was fucking amazing. It got lost in an amazing class of movies though. Same with Assassination of Jesse James.

Alucard

Banned
To the person who said that "the other 8 films nominated will be remembered more than Argo," you have got to be kidding yourself. Do you think anyone will remember Beasts of the Southern Wild 5 years from now? I sure don't. However, I do think people will talk about the controversial history-twisting suspense thriller from Ben Affleck. As well they should. As a film, it's a fantastic ride. As a historical document, it's one-sided and inaccurate. As a piece of pop culture, it's absolutely relevant and worthy of discourse.

Alucard

Banned
So much blatant trolling in this thread

Seriously. I liked GBG a lot and enjoyed The Town, but to call Argo "the worst" of his three films is a bit strong. I'd have to re-watch all three to make a more informed decision, but just based off memory, I'd say Argo easily tops The Town in just about every category.

It's such a shame Joaquin (and Casey!) wasted, like, three years? on that shitty mockumentary project.

It was a great film. Great acting. Creating a character and living it within the real world is method acting beyond anything you've ever seen. The media and the public that consumes that media became unknowing characters within the film. Has there ever been a commentary on the public's obsession with entertainment media culture to that scale? I think it was quite an achievement actually.

PBY

Banned
Seriously. I liked GBG a lot and enjoyed The Town, but to call Argo "the worst" of his three films is a bit strong. I'd have to re-watch all three to make a more informed decision, but just based off memory, I'd say Argo easily tops The Town in just about every category.
To me- Argo had zero character or emotional pull. The other two films may have been more flawed- tho I'd strongly disagree given the back half of Argo- but definitely had way more heart.

Ithil

It's amazing that they've got her locked in for three more movies in a teen-girl targeted franchise. Everyone involved in that casting decision has to be patting themselves on the back right now.

This isn't like HP where they were kids and their careers were built on the franchise, or like Twilight where they're just kind of terrible and don't do much outside of the franchise, Lawrence is a rising star with a fresh Oscar win and rave reviews for major Academy-loved films, and she's there is the teen blockbuster franchise.

Guess that'll pay the bills, but this is a case of her really being "too good" for the franchise, and I didn't even hate the first movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom