• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - S2 of the KGB spy drama - Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys - Wed on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fxp

Quite a few cultures still use their progenitor's name as their last name. Still quite prevalent in Muslim cultures/countries, for instance.

First Name:- Person's name
Middle Name:- Father's name
Last Name:- Grandfather's name.

Good to know, thanks.

ivysaur12

Banned
Well, Fyodorovich is not last name but father's name. And even nowadays Russians quite often call each other by their name and father's name.

Huh. Well, there you go. Still something I noticed a lot more this season vs. last. Maybe because more time is being spent at the embassy?

EDIT: Oh, the Wikipedia page even has a link to this article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eastern_Slavic_naming_customs

Most of the Russian names do not include surnames. In the scenes taking place inside the Soviet Embassy the characters address each other in a familiar manner, using given name and patronymic, without mentioning surnames. "Ivanovich" means "son of Ivan" and "Sergeevna" indicates "daughter of Sergei". See this article.

New episode tonight:
A Little Night Music

An old friend returns to complicate things for Philip and Elizabeth; divisions inside the Rezidentura deepen between Oleg and Arkady; Martha's frustrations threaten to blow Philip's cover.

Niraj

I shot people I like more for less.
Out of town so not watching tonight. Kind of hoping for a "Cornballer talks to himself" night.

Episode really put a few very interesting things in motion, looking forward to seeing where it goes.

Glad to see Martha figuring it out, if for nothing more than I've found the Philip Martha relationship to be kind of a dud aspect of the show.
He has a lovely fake tan.
Oh god, I died when they showed him. Howerton is one of many reasons to be excited for Fargo.

Uh oh, that ending.

Elizabeth was saying that right thing about the distractions, not paying attention, and letting their guard down. It not only applies to the phase their daughter is currently going through. The issue is pertinent with Clark and Martha. The act he put on to get away from her has forced her hand with that new job opportunity she wanted. I don't think the "Clark" cover will pan out if that name gets run in the system. Most importantly the distractions bite Elizabeth in the butt when she takes out all the pent up anger she has on one of the guys that attacked them. You've got to practice what you preach.

I'm liking how were seeing a different side of the toll this kind of work can take on people.

And that's it, an extra 10 minutes added to my DVR for these FX broadcasts.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Oof, those Elizabeth and Brad scenes. That hits me a little too close, minus the manipulation.

Aw shit, Paige, now you've crossed the line.

"very western" is such a good burn from a reserved man.

I was almost surprised how bold he was being in response to Oleg using his connections, since he can presumably further use them to exert pressure or punishment on Arkady.

Great episode, with a nice cliffhanger ending. Really great to have things not always work out for our intrepid KGB agents at times, it was almost too easy for them in many previous occasions.

Could they be dealing with an Israeli Mossad unit doing a guard detail/counter op for the Russian Jewish expat there?

Deku Tree

What is the best way for me to
legally
watch season 1? I see the disks on Netflix. Xfinity is charging $1.99 per episode for on demand... I already pay them buckets of money every month...

Tamanon

Banned
What is the best way for me to
legally
watch season 1? I see the disks on Netflix. Xfinity is charging $1.99 per episode for on demand... I already pay them buckets of money every month...

If you have Amazon Prime, Season 1 just went up on there.

ultron87

So does Phil think that Stan is having an affair with Martha, since he said it was with someone at work who is married? Or am I reading too much into his angry act to get away from her?

Edit: I guess she wouldn't have told anyone at work that she's married. So probably not?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom