• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Americans - S3 of the KGB spy drama - Keri Russell & Matthew Rhys - Wed on FX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Martha trying to play Philip. Don't think this will work.

Yeah Martha is no where near as good at lying as Philip is. Still nice to see the role reversal with Martha keeping secrets from Philip for once.

The lighting and composition in that bedroom scene was also very nice.

Okay really can somebody please explain this South Africa plotline to me? I have no idea what that ending sequence was about.

From what I gather, the Reagan admin has always been pro-apartheid. So members of the pro-apartheid movement were planning on staging an incident that would paint the anti-apartheid in a bad light. The Russians, and by extension, Philip and Elizabeth are sympathetic to the anti-apartheid cause so their mission is to intercept and capture Venter, a member of the South African intelligence who is part of this plot to undermine the anti-apartheid movement.

Okay really can somebody please explain this South Africa plotline to me? I have no idea what that ending sequence was about.
Hans is South African, anti-apartheid, and working with the Russians. He thought one of his classmates (Todd?) might be a spy, so Elizabeth checked him out. Turns out that his classmate was meeting with Venter, a higher up pro-apartheid agent from South Africa, and they were planning on planting a bomb or something and blaming the anti-apartheid South Africans. Elizabeth and Philip just kidnapped Venter and Todd at the end of the episode.

IronRinn

Reviews are saying the woman Elizabeth shot was a "wrong place, wrong time" witness but it seemed like she started out of the van when the Hans started honking the horn. Made me think she was in on it but I guess I was wrong. That whole scene, with that song, was fantastic. Great directorial debut for Emmerich.

Grifter

Reviews are saying the woman Elizabeth shot was a "wrong place, wrong time" witness but it seemed like she started out of the van when the Hans started honking the horn. Made me think she was in on it but I guess I was wrong. That whole scene, with that song, was fantastic. Great directorial debut for Emmerich.

Given her accent, van, and location, I thought she was playing the same role as Liz but for the South African side.

The spotter messed up right? The operative made two passes in his car. I know, Elizabeth told the kid to look out for cops at the intersections. That doesn't give him a free pass on missing a nosey guy driving in circles by the cafe. Thank god for emo rock Philip realizing what was up.

I liked Stan and Philips talk over pizza. Seemed like a genuine discussion of life stuff.

Those FBI should have some ability to read those around them. Martha has to be the only person in that office acting off since the great discover of the bug in the pen. Spotlight should be square on her.

And finally, the direction. I was worried about his it began because Noah, IMO was showing off with the opening camera move. I didn't want it to be an episode of look at me and all my sweet camera tricks...it definitely calmed down after that and worked itself into what we've come to expect 3 seasons in. The slanted camera on the dolly when his son comes home might be the only other look at me moment.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise

Nah, it was Elizabeth. I think that was just a poorly executed moment, not making it clear enough that she was the shooter before turning her full attention to the frantic honking. I mean, one of the promo stills FX sent out is Elizabeth in that driver's seat pointing a gun out her window.

I don't think she was a random witness either. Would Elizabeth pause to shoot someone who she didn't believe was part of the plot? On the off chance this woman could noticed her and could provide police a meaningful visual description later on? Taking the mystery woman out didn't really provide any other practical purpose that would justify the action.

The spotter messed up right? The operative made two passes in his car. I know, Elizabeth told the kid to look out for cops at the intersections. That doesn't give him a free pass on missing a nosey guy driving in circles by the cafe. Thank god for emo rock Philip realizing what was up.

Was Hans supposed to honk if there was trouble or when he saw Venter to signal Elizabeth to pull around? I'll have to rewatch.

The scene between the two of them earlier on has the answer.

As for the bakery delivery lady, it's wrong place, wrong time as in making a delivery at that moment. Wrong accent, wrong place, considering the spy activities. Without reading anything official yet, I'd say she just was in the wrong place, saw Elizabeth can and could have been an eye witness.

Add another check on innocent kills for Elizabeth this season.

Mifune

Mehmber
Tom Clancy's Power Plays (the book Stan's son picks up briefly at the table) didn't come out until the 90s. That's a baffling error for this show.

Great episode, though.

IronRinn

Given her accent, van, and location, I thought she was playing the same role as Liz but for the South African side.

Nah, it was Elizabeth. I think that was just a poorly executed moment, not making it clear enough that she was the shooter before turning her full attention to the frantic honking. I mean, one of the promo stills FX sent out is Elizabeth in that driver's seat pointing a gun out her window.

I don't think she was a random witness either. Would Elizabeth pause to shoot someone who she didn't believe was part of the plot? On the off chance this woman could noticed her and could provide police a meaningful visual description later on? Taking the mystery woman out didn't really provide any other practical purpose that would justify the action.

Was Hans supposed to honk if there was trouble or when he saw Venter to signal Elizabeth to pull around? I'll have to rewatch.
Ok, so it's not just me. Maybe they'll clear it up next episode but, yeah, it really seemed like the woman Elizabeth shot was there to help Venter. We'll see.

Hans was only supposed to honk if there was trouble, I believe. It was up to Philip to spot Venter.

jett

D-Member
I think this show might be too subtle at times for me.

I have zero idea what has been the deal with the entire south African plotline the entire season.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Ok, so it's not just me. Maybe they'll clear it up next episode but, yeah, it really seemed like the woman Elizabeth shot was there to help Venter. We'll see.

That was my feeling as well. In fact, the way the scene started out at first, I thought that Elizabeth and Philip were actually being played: Venter's super quick reaction/fighting back against Philip, the lady blocking Elizabeth's path and the accent. I was like "Ohshitohshit, somebody got the drop on them!"

I really like that it was a bit ambiguous, just added to the tension of the scene imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom