• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

GT500

Neo Member
Rolls-Royce Phantom to undergo major overhaul in 2016

Having been introduced in 2003, the Rolls-Royce Phantom has been on the market for seven years now. That's a pretty long life-cycle for a car these days. According to the ever-churning rumor mill, that's only the tip of the proverbial iceberg, as Rolls may be planning on keeping the Phantom the way it is for another six years or so.

According to the reports, the Phantom is set to receive a major overhaul in 2016. What that will entail is far from being known at this point. And considering Maybach may reportedly fall by the wayside, its only major competition is the Bentley Mulsanne, which is brand spankin' new.

Once the Phantom sedan is replaced, though, it would be reasonable to expect the Coupe and DHC convertible to follow suit. In the meantime, expect another few dozen special editions for the Persian Gulf crowd.
I didn't know Maybach were in this much trouble. I thought rich people would buy anything.

Conceited
I love your Evo X man. It is the best looking performance compact car, easily. I would take it over the Focus RS.

Pterion

So I bought a boring Corolla in late 2008 and I want to upgrade big time already. Test drove the 335i sedan and new Audi S4 back in october-november of last year, ended up choking at the last minute on a 335i coupe deal. I'm not a baller... yet.

Guess I'm back into ''must drive faster and more fun car'' mode. This time however, I'm going the ''cheaper'' route.

In the span of 4 weeks, I testdrove 6 cars, and will test a 2010 Subaru WRX next monday (got big hopes regarding that car).

2007 335i coupe : greatest car I've ever driven. Haters can say whatever they want about BMW and this car, but damn, this gem is close to perfection as far as I'm concerned. It's not even a matter of badge and status and shit. The car is just so much better than the competition (except S4), it's downright insulting. G37, what?! I won't bother stating the pros of this car, as anyone who cares about cars knows its reputation. Deal is pretty sweet at 30k sale, with 58 000 kms, and 8 months of warranty left. I can buy an extended warranty of 3 years. Only thing holding me back is that it's used and could have tons of hidden problems, including the infamous HPFP. I don't have time to be at the car dealership every month for hours at a time, or stranded at home when I'm on call and having an emergency at work...

2010 328xi sedan : fun car, not as fun as its big brother obviously. Monthly lease payment within my confort range. Problem is, it doesn't have the options I want (non x-drive, manual and sport package). I ain't settling again, so no.

2010 Civic Si : boy, I finally know what Vtec feels like. It kicked in, yo! Fun car with average handling and average brakes. It's alright for a Civic, but I'm not spending that kind of dough for something that's not fulfilling my inner needs for pure fun. If it was much cheaper, I would think about it seriously.

2010 C-class 300 4matic : ridiculous wind noise on the highway. Ginormous steering wheel. Suspension is not firm at all (more boat-feeling than the Civic Si, imo). Okay acceleration, but nothing exciting. Good brakes though, like a 3 series. Not very interesting to me overall.

2010 G37s : biggest disappointment ever. Oh boy, how could this be? Look, I understand this car make 337 hp or something and whatever torque at whatever RPM, but paper facts don't translate well on the road. I guess I'm a turbo guy rather than a NA guy, if this is supposed to represent the cream of the crop in NA engines. Yea, you're going fast, but the acceleration is way too soft and linear. Couldn't understand for the life of me how some people think this handles as well as a 3 series with sport suspension. Maybe it's the BMW bias, I guess, but the 328i was more fun than this thing. Believe me, I wanted the G37s to be ass-kicking the 335, but that just wouldn't happen. I don't really care about stuff like interior currently, but I'll admit it was nice. I smiled when I went back into my Corolla. And I'm actually being serious. :(

2008 G35 : slower G37. I now know what this car feels like, and I guess I'll never look at these cars the same way again. Not worthy of a head turn anymore...

2010 Subaru WRX sedan : not testdriven yet, but looking forward to it. 0-60 in 4.7 seconds, mean look, and 4WD for better winter safety? Sounds good to me, where do I sign? It better not disappoint, because the lease is pretty sweet and well under my comfort zone. *prays*

--------------------------

So, so far, if it doesn't drive like a Bimmer, I'd rather suck it up in a Corolla. It's alright, saving money also feels good.

Funny thing is, the BMW salesperson sent me an email stating that I could ride my dream car now (E92 M3). 1500$ per month (Canada). Dumb me said no thanks but that's just downright financially irresponsible. I said dumb me because I should have taken the opportunity to test drive it for free. F*ck! Guess I'll have to wait a couple more years now. :(

Cheeto

Conceited said:
My EVO X:

316xcw8.jpg

262sltl.jpg
I'd do despicable things to own one of these

golem

Pterion said:
Funny thing is, the BMW salesperson sent me an email stating that I could ride my dream car now (E92 M3). 1500$ per month (Canada). Dumb me said no thanks but that's just downright financially irresponsible.
Do it.

How is financing up in Canada... all the rates here are down to around 0.9%, which is a damn good deal.

Not going to try the GTI or R32?

bionic77

Pterion said:
So, so far, if it doesn't drive like a Bimmer, I'd rather suck it up in a Corolla. It's alright, saving money also feels good.
I actually agree with you 100% on the way the RWD Bimmer feels to drive. Keep in mind in my and my families extended experience they are not reliable cars. My older car is a 325xi from 2000 and its reliability is appalling. If you want to get a Bimmer I would suggest leasing or getting the extended warranty.

I have driven a few Subaru's and I gotta say they are really fun cars to drive. Never owned one so I can't say more than that.

Pterion

golem said:
Do it.

How is financing up in Canada... all the rates here are down to around 0.9%, which is a damn good deal.

Not going to try the GTI or R32?
Try 7.89% for a M3 here. We're getting raped big time.

Not a fan of the small size of the GTI, and I hate the looks. Same thing goes with a 135i. Sure, it'd be very fun, but looks too small and looks ugly as balls imo, so no. Yea, I'm a bitchy princess.

I saw a 08 E90 M3 for 1000 bucks per month (lease take-over) for 2 years, I believe. A man can dream... :D

Pterion

doitlive said:
What about checking out the Mazda 3? I've only heard good things about that car, well except for the damn Mazda Smile.
Speed3, maybe. Not expecting too much out a FWD at this point.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
My girlfriend and I own a 2005 WRX sedan and while I love it, I think she’s got her heart set on Audi. We’ll probably be buying a new car this summer and hanging on to the 2005 so I doubt she’ll want two WRX’s in the garage but I’m going to pull for a 2011 regardless.

Pterion

Gouty said:
My girlfriend and I own a 2005 WRX sedan and while I love it, I think she’s got her heart set on Audi. We’ll probably be buying a new car this summer and hanging on to the 2005 so I doubt she’ll want two WRX’s in the garage but I’m going to pull for a 2011 regardless.
New 2011 WRX has a wider track, wider tires, stiffer rear and STI fenders, or so I've heard.

Which Audi does she want?

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
She wants an S4 or a TTS. It’s not that I don’t like Audi, I think they’re beautiful in fact. I just don’t think you get everything you pay for and I’ve heard some concerning things about their reliability.
Do you want a 2010 WRX over the 11? Lets us know what you think when you take one for a spin.

ecnal

anyone here own an 08+ GR impreza?

i'm own an 05 STI and i'm tired of the lack of utility. definitely going to be getting a larger or more utilitarian car--preferably some sort of wagon/5-door-hatchback/crossover.

how does the GR STI handle larger cargo? i'd like to be able to carry 2-3 surfboards (all under 6') and 1-2 passengers; is that even possible in the GR STI?

otherwise, it looks like i'm going to be looking at cars like the a4 avant, q5, fx45, volvo wagons, etc. gonna miss the handling/power of the STI if it comes to that :(

Pterion

Gouty said:
She wants an S4 or a TTS. It’s not that I don’t like Audi, I think they’re beautiful in fact. I just don’t think you get everything you pay for and I’ve heard some concerning things about their reliability.
Do you want a 2010 WRX over the 11? Lets us know what you think when you take one for a spin.
The new S4 is awesome. Only Audi worth its price imo.

I might get the 2010 WRX, if they offer some good discounts. The salesperson was the one informing me of the 2011 changes, and he said they would have it by july for the same price as a 2010, so the 2010 WRX would be discounted.

As for the test drive, I know it's going to be fast in a straight line, but I hope it drives like it's on rails.

Pterion

Gouty said:
So saying the cost was identical, which body do you prefer?
Sedan. I visited some WRX forums yesterday and most were in favor of the hatchback look, but even if the sedan was slightly more expensive, I'd go for it.

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Pterion said:
Sedan. I visited some WRX forums yesterday and most were in favor of the hatchback look, but even if the sedan was slightly more expensive, I'd go for it.

:lol

Sorry, I meant 2010 WRX sedan vs. 2011 WRX sedan.

dsunit1

Cheeto said:
Why? The X is pretty much superior in every way

:lol Why speak on things you do not know of ? Mitsubishi worried about interior and other frivolous things over performance with the evo x. All we have to talk about is the engine and the discussion ends. The evo ix has a cast iron block and the evo x has an aluminum block. Which one is more prone to failure under higher levels of boost? One will not hold as much boost as the other can.. Guess which one

Cheeto

dsunit1 said:
:lol Why speak on things you do not know of ? Mitsubishi worried about interior and other frivolous things over performance with the evo x. All we have to talk about is the engine and the discussion ends. The evo ix has a cast iron block and the evo x has an aluminum block. Which one is more prone to failure under higher levels of boost? One will not hold as much boost as the other can.. Guess which one
News to me, since my co-worker is this huge EVO buff and swears by the 4b11... he has no problems making massive power, more than he could with a IX. Here's a dyno of one of his less aggressive ECU tunes
http://speedcircuit.net/images/SC_EcuTeK_dyno_1.jpg

And did Mitsu really pay more attention to the interior in the X??? It still looks like complete ass if so

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I might break your heart then. Those oversaturated shots do a lot to hide the 2011’s busy front end. Behold, a pale horse!

24c5i55.jpg

Guess I’ll just have to wait till this summer to see one in person.

Pterion

The busy front end looks fine on the WRX STi, so it'll probably look fine on the sedan too. For some reasons, these cars look so much better in real life than on pictures...

Anyway, I couldn't testdrive the WRX today as the service department was very busy and couldn't get it prepared. Guess it'll be thursday. However, I went by the Mazda dealership and testdrove the regular Mazda 3. So much better than the Corolla, made me regret not doing any research 2 years ago. Oh well, live and learn.

Yeah so one of my friends is going to be getting a 328i pretty soon and I'm having new car envy. I currently drive an 05 Civic and its a wonderful car that has served me well but the 115 HP engine leaves much to be desired.

I'm really thinking hard about getting a Mustang GT. I have access to X Plan pricing so that should make dealing with dealerships much easier.

Ugh...I can wait...I can wait....

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
Pterion said:
For some reasons, these cars look so much better in real life than on pictures...

Never in the history of Neogaf have I agreed with any statement more. When I first saw pictures of the 2008 I nearly threw up in my mouth. Then I saw one up close and not only did it not sicken me, I flat out liked it.

Pterion said:
Anyway, I couldn't testdrive the WRX today as the service department was very busy and couldn't get it prepared.

What the fuck is going on with that dealership? Are they trying to sell you a car or not?

So I've got some damage on the front bumper of my 2-month-old car (Ford Fusion). Someone did a hit and run in a parking lot apparently, and i've got a few spots where the paint came off straight through to the plastic (no damage other than the missing paint).

I tried some touch-up paint, and obviously that didn't help much. I have decided to get it repaired rather than be pissed off every time I look at it.

I've gotten a quote at a couple of places, and Maaco was the cheapest. Basically they will sand down, prime, and paint that area, then blend it and apply clear coat across the the rest of the bumper. His quote for this was $317 with tax.

I'm a little worried though, because I only read bad things about Maaco online. Most of those accuse them of not sanding and priming on paint jobs, which is what the Maaco guy specifically said they'd be doing. So my questions are:

1.) Am I going to be a sad panda if i go with Maaco?
2.) My car is a metallic charcoal gray, and I understand that while the color will be matched exactly, the amount of metallic flecks or whatever always varies so there will be a slight difference in the area they paint. Will I be able to tell?
3.) Will this clear coat they are applying to the whole bumper cause it to look at all different from the rest of the car (especially in direct sunlight I assume)?

I'm very anal so these things worry me.

Cheeto

LaserBuddha said:
So I've got some damage on the front bumper of my 2-month-old car (Ford Fusion). Someone did a hit and run in a parking lot apparently, and i've got a few spots where the paint came off straight through to the plastic (no damage other than the missing paint).

I tried some touch-up paint, and obviously that didn't help much. I have decided to get it repaired rather than be pissed off every time I look at it.

I've gotten a quote at a couple of places, and Maaco was the cheapest. Basically they will sand down, prime, and paint that area, then blend it and apply clear coat across the the rest of the bumper. His quote for this was $317 with tax.

I'm a little worried though, because I only read bad things about Maaco online. Most of those accuse them of not sanding and priming on paint jobs, which is what the Maaco guy specifically said they'd be doing. So my questions are:

1.) Am I going to be a sad panda if i go with Maaco?
2.) My car is a metallic charcoal gray, and I understand that while the color will be matched exactly, the amount of metallic flecks or whatever always varies so there will be a slight difference in the area they paint. Will I be able to tell?
3.) Will this clear coat they are applying to the whole bumper cause it to look at all different from the rest of the car (especially in direct sunlight I assume)?

I'm very anal so these things worry me.
You do not want to get a maaco paint job on a new(er) car, especially if you plan to keep it for awhile... It *will* chip and fade over time. Go with a family owned body shop with good word of mouth behind it.

Limedust

Cheeto said:
You do not want to get a maaco paint job on a new(er) car, especially if you plan to keep it for awhile... It *will* chip and fade over time. Go with a family owned body shop with good word of mouth behind it.

Indeed. Shortly before we first met, my (now) wife had her car painted by Macco. We no longer have the vehicle, but the bumpers were chipping after the first year.

LaserBuddha: As suggested, find a family-owned business to do the work, and be explicit in what you want (do you want cladding removed and then reapplied after paint, or do you just want it masked off which is cheaper). Another (recommended) alternative would be to find out who the dealership uses for touchups and rework.

Seanspeed

Banned
Cheeto said:
Why? The X is pretty much superior in every way
I wouldn't want an EVO X, either. From what I've heard, its a more capable car by the numbers, but it doesn't have the same driving thrill as the previous EVO's. Probably a lot to due with its increased weight.

Its also ugly.

Smokey

I currently drive a 04 Corolla (that I got brand new in 2003) and I'm really wanting something else. The car is paid off and while it's nice not having a car payment, I'm just bored with this car. That said I'll probably be stuck with it until at least the end of 2011. I'm currently doing an internship, and if all goes well I could possibly get an offer to start in Jan 11.

That being said I know quite a bit about various models of cars (Bmws, benz, mustangs, vettes etc), but I've never actually test driven any of them. I enjoy reading about them and learning what they have and all that, but when going for test drives what should I be looking for? Because really, coming from a 'rolla anything will be more impressive than what I have now.

I go back and forth on what my next car should be. On one hand I daydream about the '11 Mustang GT with that new sex engine, and then on the other hand I daydream about a BMW 335i coupe. Big price difference I know, but I can't help it :/

Limedust said:
Indeed. Shortly before we first met, my (now) wife had her car painted by Macco. We no longer have the vehicle, but the bumpers were chipping after the first year.

LaserBuddha: As suggested, find a family-owned business to do the work, and be explicit in what you want (do you want cladding removed and then reapplied after paint, or do you just want it masked off which is cheaper). Another (recommended) alternative would be to find out who the dealership uses for touchups and rework.

Yeah I'm definitely not going with Maaco now. I guess at the end of the day, my only worry is my bumper looking different. With all the talk I hear of clear coats and metallic fleck counts, I'm just worried that i'll take it in for a little problem and end up with a bumper that has a noticeably different shade or texture to it.

I guess I'm trying to convince myself that a good shop will do an "invisible" job and it will look just like new, before I throw down the money.

Gouty said:
I might break your heart then. Those oversaturated shots do a lot to hide the 2011’s busy front end. Behold, a pale horse!

24c5i55.jpg

Guess I’ll just have to wait till this summer to see one in person.

Fucking hell, looks just like an Evo VI :lol

Pimpwerx

Technosteve said:
WRX used to look so ugly that it was hansom, now it just looks like derp derp design by comity bullshit.
Once Subaru bought Saab and redid the front of the Impreza and Legacy, then it was all downhill. The Legacy used to be a pretty car too, but all that is in the part. I can't even look at a WRX now. The Evo is all I see in that class now. PEACE.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Pimpwerx said:
Once Subaru bought Saab and redid the front of the Impreza and Legacy, then it was all downhill.
???

General Motors owned Saab until they unloaded them to Spyker a few months ago.

Pimpwerx

twinturbo2 said:
???

General Motors owned Saab until they unloaded them to Spyker a few months ago.
Maybe very recently, but I'm pretty sure Subaru owned Saab back in 2007 and before. They bought Saab and then uglied up the front of all their cars. PEACE.

EDIT: WTF? I just looked at the wiki and you're right. How the hell did I draw that conclusion?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Pimpwerx said:
Maybe very recently, but I'm pretty sure Subaru owned Saab back in 2007 and before. They bought Saab and then uglied up the front of all their cars. PEACE.

EDIT: WTF? I just looked at the wiki and you're right. How the hell did I draw that conclusion?

You're confused because Saab released the 9-2x which was a Subaru WRX wagon.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom