• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rody

PjotrStroganov said:
They never were. Only the STI's and WRXes had a mean look to them. The standard models have always been grandaddy cars.

I was actually referring to those, not the standard models.

Ovid

Question for those who own a manumatic/sports-shift vehicle. Is it okay to shift (up or down) with your foot on the accelerator or are you suppose to take your foot off and then shift?

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
tarius1210 said:
Question for those who own a manumatic/sports-shift vehicle. Is it okay to shift (up or down) with your foot on the accelerator or are you suppose to take your foot off and then shift?

It's okay to shift with your foot on the pedal. It's actually preferred.

stldave2

Wow, this thread really was dead.

I learned a lesson last weekend that I might as well share in this thread.

ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS have a fire extinguisher. ALWAYS. And not just one of those little dinky ones... they run out quickly, trust me. Scariest moment of my life, followed immediately by the most helpless feeling of my life, followed directly by the luckiest moment of my life:lol

NOT COOL.
fire4.jpg

Gouty

Bloodborne is shit
I drive past a Subaru dealership 5 days a week on my way to work, hoping to see a 2011 WRX among the first row of cars. Still waiting.

Zyzyxxz

I've been thinking of getting a Ford Fiesta (American Market). Any opinions?

I like the segment that it was on in Top Gear.

I like the 40mpg on the highway (I do alot of highway driving and plan to for leisure).

I like the price.

Zyzyxxz said:
I've been thinking of getting a Ford Fiesta (American Market). Any opinions?

I like the segment that it was on in Top Gear.

I like the 40mpg on the highway (I do alot of highway driving and plan to for leisure).

I like the price.

I was thinking about it too but I think the Mazda2 would be better for me. It's basically the same car but it's $2K cheaper(if you're considering the Fiesta hatchback) and according to autoblog, it's more fun to drive. The only drawbacks are that it's a 5 speed rather than 6 and it doesn't look as good as the Fiesta. I'd probably test drive them both but $2K is a big deal for me.

Zyzyxxz

akachan ningen said:
I was thinking about it too but I think the Mazda2 would be better for me. It's basically the same car but it's $2K cheaper(if you're considering the Fiesta hatchback) and according to autoblog, it's more fun to drive. The only drawbacks are that it's a 5 speed rather than 6 and it doesn't look as good as the Fiesta. I'd probably test drive them both but $2K is a big deal for me.

The 6 speed makes up the difference in terms of highway driving mileage since the Mazda2 only gets 35MPG versus the Fiesta's 40MPG.

Also I'm not sure where you are seeing a $2K difference since the MSRP on both cars are very similar.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Audi A3 a decent choice for my wife? Also needs to be the family car as I have a stupidly impractical Z4 :) so probably the sportback.

Were there any model changes over the last few years? Not up to speed on Audis. eg if we are looking at an 06/07 used model, don't want to be buying the last year of an old one, or the first year of a new one.

alternatively looking at possibly stretching to a new '10 - maybe the 1.4TFSI gets decent recommendations.

Zyzyxxz

mrklaw said:
Audi A3 a decent choice for my wife? Also needs to be the family car as I have a stupidly impractical Z4 :) so probably the sportback.

Were there any model changes over the last few years? Not up to speed on Audis. eg if we are looking at an 06/07 used model, don't want to be buying the last year of an old one, or the first year of a new one.

alternatively looking at possibly stretching to a new '10 - maybe the 1.4TFSI gets decent recommendations.

As much as I do like Audis the A3 is basically a VW Golf in Audi skin.

You may do better by spending your money on a Golf TDI instead. I don't know too much about the A3 since its been a limited offering in America since we all hate hatchbacks and small cars according to Audi.

Zyzyxxz said:
The 6 speed makes up the difference in terms of highway driving mileage since the Mazda2 only gets 35MPG versus the Fiesta's 40MPG.

Also I'm not sure where you are seeing a $2K difference since the MSRP on both cars are very similar.

The 40mpg figure is only for the automatic, manual is 37. And that's just EPA estimates. Real-world, the two cars with stick shifts get basically the same MPG.

the fiesta base price is 15800 for the hatchback, while the Mazda2 is 14000.

Ovid

[In//Effect-Mode] said:
Wait. HOLD UP. Do you mean with pressure to the accelerator only slightly applied?
Yeah, I would like to know this too. I don't wanna mess up my brand new ride.

Zyzyxxz

akachan ningen said:
The 40mpg figure is only for the automatic, manual is 37. And that's just EPA estimates. Real-world, the two cars with stick shifts get basically the same MPG.

the fiesta base price is 15800 for the hatchback, while the Mazda2 is 14000.

Ahh, I was comparing their lowest MSRP since they both start under 14K.

Yeah I wold get the automatic since I don't care for stickshifts.

Cheeto

tarius1210 said:
Yeah, I would like to know this too. I don't wanna mess up my brand new ride.
It's still basically an automatic transmission... you're just telling it when to shift now... it offers essentially no performance boost because the car's computer will always be better at determining the shift point, unless of course being in this "sport-mode" disregards any logic in the car's ECU to conserve fuel. But most automatics will shift for performance anyways when you have the pedal floored. But nonetheless, when you're using it you should just have the pedal floored the whole time... the car will cut fuel when the shifts happen automatically and rev match.

buying the 2 piece floating euro rotor for my m3 soon.

I still think the germans fuck us with this shit because we won the war. I just know it.

Also econoboxes are boring as all hell.

AlphaSnake

[In//Effect-Mode] said:
Wait. HOLD UP. Do you mean with pressure to the accelerator only slightly applied?

Yes...when driving an automatic car in Drive, do you lift your foot off the pedal in anticipation of the car shifting on its own? No. So why would you need to do the same when shifting the car in manual mode (if available)?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Zyzyxxz said:
As much as I do like Audis the A3 is basically a VW Golf in Audi skin.

You may do better by spending your money on a Golf TDI instead. I don't know too much about the A3 since its been a limited offering in America since we all hate hatchbacks and small cars according to Audi.

The A3 is a hard sell because in price, it's so close to the A4, that you have to seriously consider how badly you want a truncated wagon/big hatch.

If money's not an option and you want a very fast, very fun, luxuriously appointed hatch with an incredible interior, the 3.2 liter A3 definitely makes a statement. It's just sitting in this weird middle ground.

It reminds me of the Volkswagen Phaeton - which is an amazing car for people who don't give a shit what other people think.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
What do you guys use to clean your tires? I've used Armour-All Wet Shine and it does give the walls a nice black but the treads still look like shit. I'd really like the treads to be nice and black but putting some of those products on just makes me spin the tires.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
OuterWorldVoice said:
The A3 is a hard sell because in price, it's so close to the A4, that you have to seriously consider how badly you want a truncated wagon/big hatch.

If money's not an option and you want a very fast, very fun, luxuriously appointed hatch with an incredible interior, the 3.2 liter A3 definitely makes a statement. It's just sitting in this weird middle ground.

It reminds me of the Volkswagen Phaeton - which is an amazing car for people who don't give a shit what other people think.

its a fair difference in price in the UK. And realistically the A4 saloon is too big for my wife as a daily driver, plus not that practical as a luggage lugger. Avant would be ideal but even bigger (well same length but bulkier). A3 sportback is like a mini avant so works well for us.

Pein said:
After a year of saving I'm finally getting my first car. A 07 white G35 coupe.

Grats. A newer car is one of the best feelings in the world.

lethial said:
What do you guys use to clean your tires? I've used Armour-All Wet Shine and it does give the walls a nice black but the treads still look like shit. I'd really like the treads to be nice and black but putting some of those products on just makes me spin the tires.

DO NOT PUT THAT SHIT ON THE TREADS!
You will lose all traction that the tire could possibly have. Its dangerous and can shorten the life of the tread.

So I've been trying to decide what car I want to buy next year. So far the cars on the list are...

Mustang GT
Genesis Coupe
Accord Coupe
WRX
used Evolution IX

I've always wanted an Evolution IX and I can actually get one now but I'm scared off by Mitsubishi quality and the condition the previous owner left the car in since I'd imagine many people drove these cars hard.

Jamesfrom818 said:
Accord Coupe
I have the 08. Love it. But, have you seen the new mid cycle refresh?

11accord_cp-01.jpg

Not a fan of the new grill, or rims, for that matter. However, it's better on gas, and, standard paddle shifters and USB audio port!

Zyzyxxz

Jamesfrom818 said:
So I've been trying to decide what car I want to buy next year. So far the cars on the list are...

Mustang GT
Genesis Coupe
Accord Coupe
WRX
used Evolution IX

I've always wanted an Evolution IX and I can actually get one now but I'm scared off by Mitsubishi quality and the condition the previous owner left the car in since I'd imagine many people drove these cars hard.

I have driven none of these cars but based on pictures, performance, and perceived quality:

WRX: the current one is a great value, in fact the power increase creeps on so much on the STI, why bother getting an STI now?

Genesis Coupe: If you go for the I4 Turbo its a steal due to the RWD and great but unique look. I hear V6 may be a bit rough around the edges though.

Accord Coupe: FWD econocar turned wannabe tuner, its probably what you expect from a Honda Accord.

EVO IX: If you can find a low mileage one that has been refurbished well by a dealer it may be a good buy. Heck EVO IX's are incredibly fast with only a few mods but the looks are outdated now compared to the EVO X.

Mustand GT: For an Asian guy, Ford has done a really good job to impress me. 5.0L V8, 412HP? starting under 30K? Sold. I remember the first years of the reborn "classic" Mustang were pretty bad. Handling was iffy, interior suck big time, and performance was alright.

Now the classic look has been refreshed constantly and it just keeps getting better, the interior is finally something nice to look at, Ford SYNC is a big plus, why would I get a 370Z when for less money I could get a Mustang GT?

Those are just my sentiments, keep in mind I haven't driven all of these and just basing this off reading reviews, looking in person, and scrutinizing pictures.

what is the best car under 3000$ canadian

buick century

ford turus

honda civic

ford focus

mazda protoge

?

all of them are from aound year 2000 to 2002

Zyzyxxz said:
I have driven none of these cars but based on pictures, performance, and perceived quality:

WRX: the current one is a great value, in fact the power increase creeps on so much on the STI, why bother getting an STI now?

Genesis Coupe: If you go for the I4 Turbo its a steal due to the RWD and great but unique look. I hear V6 may be a bit rough around the edges though.

Accord Coupe: FWD econocar turned wannabe tuner, its probably what you expect from a Honda Accord.

EVO IX: If you can find a low mileage one that has been refurbished well by a dealer it may be a good buy. Heck EVO IX's are incredibly fast with only a few mods but the looks are outdated now compared to the EVO X.

Mustand GT: For an Asian guy, Ford has done a really good job to impress me. 5.0L V8, 412HP? starting under 30K? Sold. I remember the first years of the reborn "classic" Mustang were pretty bad. Handling was iffy, interior suck big time, and performance was alright.

Now the classic look has been refreshed constantly and it just keeps getting better, the interior is finally something nice to look at, Ford SYNC is a big plus, why would I get a 370Z when for less money I could get a Mustang GT?

Those are just my sentiments, keep in mind I haven't driven all of these and just basing this off reading reviews, looking in person, and scrutinizing pictures.

Mustang GT is the frontrunner right now because I get X Plan pricing which takes care of the trouble of haggling with a dealer. Evolution IX is 2nd just because the lowest mileage I've been able to find is 30,000 miles. The look of it may be outdated but the IX looks most like the VII and I really loved using the VII in videogames.

witness

I had my fiancé's dad teach me how to drive a standard this weekend, my first car back in the day was an '88 RX7 with a 5 speed and my dad was a horrible teacher so that didn't work out...So now I'm gonna get a new car next year, so if I know how to drive a standard then that will let me be able to look at a hell out of a lot more cars.

So it went well, they have a 5 speed Camry, the travel on the clutch is long as hell but I did really well, stalled the first 3 times I think but then I did great and was even able to drive back to the house with it. We'll keep practicing every time we visit so that hopefully it wont be a problem at some point soon.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
Cheeto said:
Nice, what's going on under the hood?

Just a JDM silver-top 4-AGE, I'm probably gonna swap in a black-top from a AE101 and put some ITB's on it and call it a day, that seems like the popular thing to do anyways.

lethial

Reeeeeeee
witness said:
I had my fiancé's dad teach me how to drive a standard this weekend, my first car back in the day was an '88 RX7 with a 5 speed and my dad was a horrible teacher so that didn't work out...So now I'm gonna get a new car next year, so if I know how to drive a standard then that will let me be able to look at a hell out of a lot more cars.

So it went well, they have a 5 speed Camry, the travel on the clutch is long as hell but I did really well, stalled the first 3 times I think but then I did great and was even able to drive back to the house with it. We'll keep practicing every time we visit so that hopefully it'll just become second hand at some point soon.

Grind em till you find em!

ascii42

So I got a new Malibu.
37630_10100461552476951_2036832_69826304_6120576_n.jpg

Finally decided that the Olds in the background shouldn't be a daily driver and bought the 'Bu.

Runus said:
Anyone looked at the new Explorer yet? LINK It looks pretty sexy. Ford has come a long way in the last couple years.
Same platform as the Taurus and Flex apparently. So it's a station wagon? Not that I have any problem with station wagons, but why do they need that and the Flex?

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
Got quoted like $950 to get my rear diff mounts (front/rear), engine mount, rear swaybar, oil catch can, and HPFP internals installed...

I think I'm gonna install the engine mount and rear diff mounts installed first (like $300 total for labor), and then get a buddy mechanic of mine to do the HPFP internals for about $90, and then try to do the other bolt-ons myself/with some help. Also bought a ton of Redline oil so that I can get my 30K service done (tranny, differential and power steering fluids get replaced) along with oil change/tire rotation.

Once I get all of those "let's make sure shit doesn't break" mods done, then I can go into getting my power mods (racepipe, tubular manifold, Cobb AccessPort for custom tune, FMIC, etc).

So many things to do...

AlphaSnake

Just felt like posting a new pic my car. Took it with my iPhone 3GS.

rwQKV.jpg

These bad boys are going in on Friday:

38351_412332483643_676108643_4769890_2339357_n.jpg

robox

picked up a buncha magazines. end of one era, start of another.
HPIM3097.jpg

gotta sell my car, then off to pick up a nissan cube.
plans are gonna be simple.
factory aero, coilovers, wheels, and exhaust. then whatever little things.
and big ass vinyls of loli anime girls

oh.. but how i want a toyota vellfire...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom