• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Although it has RJ bodykit it looks better than alot of cars today..

The ILX looks like the true replacement although I still prefer the TL3G look... It's too sexy.

6a00d83451b3c669e20168e542610c970c-800wi

45.jpg

65.jpg

1.jpg

62.jpg

Hell even with an A-Spec kit it'll look better than most vehicles on the road.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
There is actually a lot of talk that the TL and RL will be removed from the Acura line. That the TSX will grow in size and become the successor to the TL. The ILX will replace the TSX as the entry level 3-series fighter. And the RL will undergo a complete overhaul and debut with an all new name.

Yep. Oddly enough, Hyundai is saying that times for the V6 model are going to be in the 5-second range to hit 60. That tells me the weight of the car may have gone up, as well. A lot of people complained about the Genesis cheaper materials and plastics, and that it had unrefined noises in the cabin.

We'll see, though. I wonder how they got that torque, when Nissan struggles to achieve that from a similar displacement of 3.7L.

And yeah, the 2.0T being that powerful is Hyundai trolling Toyota for sure.

Hyundai added direct injection. This added around 30+ hp.

Also wow at the 2.0T Genesis. That thing is going to be so much faster than the outgoing model. Direct injection for the win!

Problem is, the 2.0T still won't handle as good as an FR-S.

There is actually a lot of talk that the TL and RL will be removed from the Acura line. That the TSX will grow in size and become the successor to the TL. The ILX will replace the TSX as the entry level 3-series fighter. And the RL will undergo a complete overhaul and debut with an all new name.

I've read a lot more talk of the TSX going away than I have the TL going away.

AlphaSnake

Hyundai added direct injection. This added around 30+ hp.

Also wow at the 2.0T Genesis. That thing is going to be so much faster than the outgoing model. Direct injection for the win!

Problem is, the 2.0T still won't handle as good as an FR-S.

Direct injection bumped up the sedan's power to 333HP. So I'm surprised they went the extra mile for damn near 350HP.

MisterNoisy

Direct injection bumped up the sedan's power to 333HP. So I'm surprised they went the extra mile for damn near 350HP.

It helps that they're quoting the 'premium fuel' power numbers now instead of the regular fuel numbers they use in the literature for the current models - I'd imagine you lose 6-10hp on 87 octane. Nice healthy bump from going to DI, though while it's growing on me, I'm still not a fan of the new nose.

Acura has been a real disappointment as of late. Hate the directions they are going. The ILX is based off the new civic, their tsx off the accord-- they are getting lazy. They're suppose to be a luxury brand-- and they rebranding off their honda line.

But I am impressed with the Lexus brand. They are acting like the actually want to compete.
6FE159A48BA7C4B8EB1C69CD45C9.jpg

Their LX-LC hybrid coupe is looking really good.

I'd just paint it black.

Any photoshoppers can try it?

xmxCq.jpg

I actually like how the front looks in this batch of photos. What I don't like is the black transition bar between the sky roof and rear window, needs to be a seamless transition or at the very least body colored. The trunk looks like it needs to be about 4 inches longer too, it's too "sporty" which doesn';t fit wit the rest of the car. Quick mock-up.

XnzFP.jpg

compared to the orginal:

bilde

xmxCq.jpg

I actually like how the front looks in this batch of photos. What I don't like is the black transition bar between the sky roof and rear window, needs to be a seamless transition or at the very least body colored. The trunk looks like it needs to be about 4 inches longer too, it's too "sporty" which doesn';t fit wit the rest of the car. Quick mock-up.

XnzFP.jpg

compared to:

bilde

The back kinda reminds me of Dodge.

I'm surprised lincoln hasnt gone the way of saab. 6 feet under.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
So basically the ford fusion has the chrysler 300 effect?

"Yeah, it look like a phantom, until a phantom pulls up next to it" - katt williams

AlphaSnake

xmxCq.jpg

XnzFP.jpg

compared to the orginal:

bilde

Okay, I won't lie...the photoshopped front grille looks badass in black now. I don't understand how Americans still think chrome is nice.

The ILX should be a car version of the RDX. Turbocharged and AWD

I disagree. Lots of people are becoming less concerned about horsepower and things of that nature. The people craving 250hp as the bare minimum are becoming less common, and Honda realizes that.

The ILX is their new direction. Luxury cars that are fuel efficient, but have 'enough' power to satisfy most people. If the ILX has 160hp that should move that car just fine for 90% of buyers, including me. You've also got to keep in mind that this is the entry car in the Acura lineup. Their more expensive models will still exist for those craving more power, but I suspect even those cars are not going to see HP gains in the coming years.

I'm replacing my 07' Civic sedan in the next year, and the ILX will certainly be on my list, especially if the price is right. ie, $25,000 ish.

ascii42

The back kinda reminds me of Dodge.

I'm surprised lincoln hasnt gone the way of saab. 6 feet under.
Ford's already gotten rid of their foreign companies and Mercury. I doubt they'd want to become a one brand company. Besides, I can't imagine Ford can't turn around Lincoln the way they have the Ford brand. Premium/Luxury is a whole different ball game than entry level, but GM is making a pretty successful run at turning around both Buick and Cadillac. If GM can do it for two brands, why can't Ford do it for one? I guess we'll see.

Okay, I won't lie...the photoshopped front grille looks badass in black now. I don't understand how Americans still think chrome is nice.
It can look good if done tastefully, especially against darker colors. The only thing I don't like about the picture of the 300 I posted is the LEDs. Not that the 300 is exactly tasteful or anything. Part of its appeal, I suppose.

Ovid

Acura has been a real disappointment as of late. Hate the directions they are going. The ILX is based off the new civic, their tsx off the accord-- they are getting lazy. They're suppose to be a luxury brand-- and they rebranding off their honda line.

But I am impressed with the Lexus brand. They are acting like the actually want to compete.
6FE159A48BA7C4B8EB1C69CD45C9.jpg

Their LX-LC hybrid coupe is looking really good.

That grill is hideous.

Zyzyxxz

Wow I may be LTTP but the 2013 Hyundai Genesis got a decent power boost:

I4 turbo makes 271 HP now and V6 makes 348 HP.

The I4 also starts at around $23.5K USD, damn FT-86 might as well be DOA now.

aznpxdd

LOL @ the "new" Accord. Dear lord that front end is hideous with all that chrome and unnecessary LED's. What the hell are they thinking.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes

Yeah, Alpha and I discussed this earlier.

Akira

The Genesis facelift is hideous though.

Ford's already gotten rid of their foreign companies and Mercury. I doubt they'd want to become a one brand company. Besides, I can't imagine Ford can't turn around Lincoln the way they have the Ford brand. Premium/Luxury is a whole different ball game than entry level, but GM is making a pretty successful run at turning around both Buick and Cadillac. If GM can do it for two brands, why can't Ford do it for one? I guess we'll see.

I'm not saying that Lincoln cant be resurrected-- but their design is awful. They need to take a page from the koreans-- hyundai and kia knew their aesthetic didnt work-- so instead of designing the same old thing in different clothes-- they went a different direction. Lincoln needs to realize those front grills they like to have in all their cars are not that attractive-- and thats just the start. Their design philosphy needs an overhaul.

negitoro7

Picking up my certified-preowned 2010 Black Civic Si Sedan tomorrow after work! Can't wait! :D
Totally stock except for a dealer installed Bluetooth handsfree add-on. Couldn't justify the extra $1900 they were asking for the in-dash navigation system.

Picking up my certified-preowned 2010 Black Civic Si Sedan tomorrow after work! Can't wait! :D
Totally stock except for a dealer installed Bluetooth handsfree add-on. Couldn't justify the extra $1900 they were asking for the in-dash navigation system.

I'm sorry. As a Honda enthusiast, I can say that you could've done better. :p

that's mean he just bought the car don't make him second guess it.

It's not mean. I am being honest, and not saying it in a malicious way. The Si is an overpriced, underperforming car. I say this as someone who knows a large amount about Hondas in general and also know a lot about that specific model of Si, and know what it brings to the table vs. its competitors and what else you can get for the money.

If I can help someone get more for their money by giving them the facts and details about any product, I don't mind coming off as 'mean' despite my good intentions if there's a chance that I can help them out.

@Negitoro7: I am not trying to shit on you or be mean to you, just offering my opinion. I feel that the FA5 Si just isn't as good of a value for the money as older Si's and that if you still have a chance, you should look at several competitors, like the Mazdaspeed 3, WRX, 3G TL 6-speed (which goes for the same prices used, surprisingly), Hyundai Genesis 2.0T, etc.

3G TL 6 speed is sexy as fuck.. I'm going to try and bag one for under 10k and sink 3k into it.

TBH, as the owner of one, I recommendkeeping it stock, or just doing an exhaust mod with a high quality 3" custom exhaust. Looks nice and sounds amazing. Sounds like an exotic, no lie.

Other than that... maybe nice rims and a drop. The car has amazing handling for a FWD car, easily one of the best handling FWD cars of all time. Up there with the Integra Type R, Mazdaspeed 3, and Focus RS...

$3k is a lot to drop into one, especially when they work best as a commuter/light performance vehicle. Plus they look fantastic stock. And when you change tires on it, it fucks up the gas mileage. I hit a good 33-35 mpg on the highway, and for a V6 with 260 whp (225-230 whp stock), that's awesome.

NoRéN

Auto-Gaf, what is it about asians in fixed up Hondas that feel the need to bust shit? Is it the car that attracts these douches? Hell, I don't even drive a new car! Car's older than me.

negitoro7

It's not mean. I am being honest, and not saying it in a malicious way. The Si is an overpriced, underperforming car. I say this as someone who knows a large amount about Hondas in general and also know a lot about that specific model of Si, and know what it brings to the table vs. its competitors and what else you can get for the money.

If I can help someone get more for their money by giving them the facts and details about any product, I don't mind coming off as 'mean' despite my good intentions if there's a chance that I can help them out.

@Negitoro7: I am not trying to shit on you or be mean to you, just offering my opinion. I feel that the FA5 Si just isn't as good of a value for the money as older Si's and that if you still have a chance, you should look at several competitors, like the Mazdaspeed 3, WRX, 3G TL 6-speed (which goes for the same prices used, surprisingly), Hyundai Genesis 2.0T, etc.

I understand where you're coming from, I'm totally okay with your comments. In fact, I agree a lot with you.

I test drove an MK5 GTI and a brand new Mazdaspeed3 as well before deciding on the Honda for various reasons. Up til 2 weeks ago, based on the research I did, I thought there was no way I'd pick the Si over those other cars.

Coming from ever owning Hondas and Acuras that I've kept til they were really high mileage, I gotta be able to trust in the reliability of my new-to-me car. I love the GTI, both MKV and MKVI and both the 6-speed manual and DSG, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a brand that I don't trust in terms of reliability. If Honda made that car, it would be the perfect car to me. But you and I know that Honda would never make a car like that (unfortunately). My girlfriend and family all helped steer me away from the VW as well.

The Mazdaspeed3 I thought, was an absolute hoot to drive. I'd put the fun-factor above GTI and Si, even though it's not a complete package like the GTI is of course. Several factors swayed me away: I really love having a sunroof in my car and I would've had to spend thousands more on an aftermarket webasto 'roof. The gas mileage isn't as good as the other two. First gen 'Speed3s have reliability issues with smoking turbos and motor mounts. I also read of owners having premature rust issues with their Mazda3s. The last huge factor was also that I couldn't find a new-gen CPO Mazdaspeed3 (for a fair price). Still, I was close to getting myself in way too much debt for my situation with that $33,000+ taxes white one I test drove.

I wanted something 4-doors cause this maaay be our family car in the almost-forseeable future so the Genesis was definitely out the question (don't like the Genesis sedan, totally different car). The 2009+ WRX ones are quite a bit out of my price range and I don't care for their interiors. Civic Si's two-tiered dash looked really odd to me on the first drive, but by the second test drive I got used to it. Girlfriend really likes the Civic's interior too.

Finally, I just happened to stumble upon this CPO 2010 Civic Si in black at the dealership one day 2 weeks ago cause my girlfriend wanted to feed the resident rabbits that inhabit the the automall =P. It was priced a little high for a used Civic Si, but I much prefer the styling tweaks of the 2009-2011 Si and it has a lot lower KMs than other used ones. Power-wise, it has more than enough speed for me coming from a 140hp Integra in auto.

Did I rush into it more than I was planning to? Definitely, but that's often the case when you feel an instant connection with a car. However, I'm not one who blindly chose the Civic Si over its alternatives without extensive daily and nauseating research.

Since you're all about being "honest", even if it means coming off as mean, I'm going to ask that you get over yourself. Your opinion on such subjective things is no more important than anyone elses.

The guy didn't ask for opinions on his new car purchase. He'd already decided on it. Even if you wanted to suggest something at that point, there were clearly more polite ways of doing it. Such as asking if he'd investigated the competition carefully.

Also, as I tried to nicely tell you on the previous page regarding the TSX vs TL, some people actually enjoy smaller cars. There is a noticeable difference in how a 2800lb car feels to drive and a 3,500lb car. Some might even feel that a 3,500lb car like the TL feels like piloting a boat. Now don't get mad I said that, I'm just being honest with you. ;)

and please stop with the 33-35mpg on the highway talk with your TL. Yeah maybe, for 30 seconds, going downhill with a wind at your back. My 07' Civic with a 1.8L engine gets about 36 on the highway.

negitoro7 said:
I understand where you're coming from, I'm totally okay with your comments. In fact, I agree a lot with you.

I test drove an MK5 GTI and a brand new Mazdaspeed3 as well before deciding on the Honda for various reasons. Up til 2 weeks ago, based on the research I did, I thought there was no way I'd pick the Si over those other cars.

Coming from ever owning Hondas and Acuras that I've kept til they were really high mileage, I gotta be able to trust in the reliability of my new-to-me car. I love the GTI, both MKV and MKVI and both the 6-speed manual and DSG, but I just couldn't bring myself to spend that kind of money on a brand that I don't trust in terms of reliability. If Honda made that car, it would be the perfect car to me. But you and I know that Honda would never make a car like that (unfortunately). My girlfriend and family all helped steer me away from the VW as well.

The Mazdaspeed3 I thought, was an absolute hoot to drive. I'd put the fun-factor above GTI and Si, even though it's not a complete package like the GTI is of course. Several factors swayed me away: I really love having a sunroof in my car and I would've had to spend thousands more on an aftermarket webasto 'roof. The gas mileage isn't as good as the other two. First gen 'Speed3s have reliability issues with smoking turbos and motor mounts. I also read of owners having premature rust issues with their Mazda3s. The last huge factor was also that I couldn't find a new-gen CPO Mazdaspeed3 (for a fair price). Still, I was close to getting myself in way too much debt for my situation with that $33,000+ taxes white one I test drove.

I wanted something 4-doors cause this maaay be our family car in the almost-forseeable future so the Genesis was definitely out the question (don't like the Genesis sedan, totally different car). The 2009+ WRX ones are quite a bit out of my price range and I don't care for their interiors. Civic Si's two-tiered dash looked really odd to me on the first drive, but by the second test drive I got used to it. Girlfriend really likes the Civic's interior too.

Finally, I just happened to stumble upon this CPO 2010 Civic Si in black at the dealership one day 2 weeks ago cause my girlfriend wanted to feed the resident rabbits that inhabit the the automall =P. It was priced a little high for a used Civic Si, but I much prefer the styling tweaks of the 2009-2011 Si and it has a lot lower KMs than other used ones. Power-wise, it has more than enough speed for me coming from a 140hp Integra in auto.

Did I rush into it more than I was planning to? Definitely, but that's often the case when you feel an instant connection with a car. However, I'm not one who blindly chose the Civic Si over its alternatives without extensive daily and nauseating research.

You really didn't have to explain yourself like that, but it definitely sounds like you thought that purchase out well. You're also right about the reliability concerns. As much as VW's look and drive great, they are a mess when it comes to holding up over time. Consistently rated one of the least reliable brands out there.

As an owner of an 07' Civic sedan, I can say that after a short while I really did get used to the dash layout, and I almost prefer the speedo like it is in that car. You really do see it easily at all times, and you don't have to look very far from the road to see it. The Si's dash looks much cooler than my boring old vanilla Civic too, with it's red lighting scheme. Congrats on the purchase!

Viperbah

Congrats man, the new SI's are nice cars. They are perfect DD's.

I just got rid of my 2004 civic ex today...first time I will be without a civic since I have been driving.

Excellent post. I totally agree with you bout GTI's, good cars but I would never trust VW. I had the same shortcomings about the MS3. Agreed with everything in your post, and I'm glad you took the time to check everything out! I hope you keep posting in this thread and I'd like to see what you think about the Si as time goes on.

Since you're all about being "honest", even if it means coming off as mean, I'm going to ask that you get over yourself. Your opinion on such subjective things is no more important than anyone elses.

The guy didn't ask for opinions on his new car purchase. He'd already decided on it. Even if you wanted to suggest something at that point, there were clearly more polite ways of doing it. Such as asking if he'd investigated the competition carefully.

Also, as I tried to nicely tell you on the previous page regarding the TSX vs TL, some people actually enjoy smaller cars. There is a noticeable difference in how a 2800lb car feels to drive and a 3,500lb car. Some might even feel that a 3,500lb car like the TL feels like piloting a boat. Now don't get mad I said that, I'm just being honest with you. ;)

and please stop with the 33-35mpg on the highway talk with your TL. Yeah maybe, for 30 seconds, going downhill with a wind at your back. My 07' Civic with a 1.8L engine gets about 36 on the highway.

You really didn't have to explain yourself like that, but it definitely sounds like you thought that purchase out well. You're also right about the reliability concerns. As much as VW's look and drive great, they are a mess when it comes to holding up over time. Consistently rated one of the least reliable brands out there.

As an owner of an 07' Civic sedan, I can say that after a short while I really did get used to the dash layout, and I almost prefer the speedo like it is in that car. You really do see it easily at all times, and you don't have to look very far from the road to see it. The Si's dash looks much cooler than my boring old vanilla Civic too, with it's red lighting scheme. Congrats on the purchase!

Ok, first off, I don't need you telling me about car weights etc. I came from a 2600 lb S2000 that was built for track so I know what the feel of a lighter car is and why it's preferable. The TL only weighs roughly 300 lbs more than your TSX so perhaps you should realize that both cars are very heavy. Despite that, the TL has superb handling and will take down an Si or TSx on a track, no problems.

Next, no. I won't shut up about getting 33-35 mpg on the highway because that's what the damn car gets. I have calculated it out both manually and through the car's mpg trip computer. On a trip back from Laughlin NV back to SoCal, the car avg'd 32 mpg over a distance of over 250 miles. I checked this through manual calculations. The car has extremely efficient aerodynamics, very long gearing, and a lot of torque with fuel efficient tires + FWD. Other TL owners have confirmed that the highway numbers are much better than EPA numbers, because anyone who believes EPA numbers is a dumbass. I don't really care what your goofy Civic gets because it has much worse aerodynamics than the TL, a weaker engine which gets more heavily impacted by any uphill grades, and many other factors which does not mean that what YOU get discredits what my car gets in any way. I have seen Si's and RSX's pull 33-36 mpg on the highway as well, despite having bigger, more tuned engines than your little Civic. My S2000 pulled a solid 30-32 mpg on the highway despite the short gearing, shitty coD, and RWD.

Don't try to talk down to me because you prefer what amounts to a 4 door RSX.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
US-spec Abarth 500 pricing starts at$22,700 with destination and a day at a HPDE class included.

First GAFfer to get one wins my affection.

Ok, first off, I don't need you telling me about car weights etc. I came from a 2600 lb S2000 that was built for track so I know what the feel of a lighter car is and why it's preferable. The TL only weighs roughly 300 lbs more than your TSX so perhaps you should realize that both cars are very heavy. Despite that, the TL has superb handling and will take down an Si or TSx on a track, no problems.

I wasn't referring to a TSX's weight vs a TL. You brought the TL up (again), when suggesting cars he should check out, and the weight difference between the Civic Si he bought, and the TL you recommended was what I was talking about.

For the record I do not currently own a TSX, in case you were wondering.

Next, no. I won't shut up about getting 33-35 mpg on the highway because that's what the damn car gets. I have calculated it out both manually and through the car's mpg trip computer. On a trip back from Laughlin NV back to SoCal, the car avg'd 32 mpg over a distance of over 250 miles. I checked this through manual calculations. The car has extremely efficient aerodynamics, very long gearing, and a lot of torque with fuel efficient tires + FWD. Other TL owners have confirmed that the highway numbers are much better than EPA numbers, because anyone who believes EPA numbers is a dumbass. I don't really care what your goofy Civic gets because it has much worse aerodynamics than the TL, a weaker engine which gets more heavily impacted by any uphill grades, and many other factors which does not mean that what YOU get discredits what my car gets in any way. I have seen Si's and RSX's pull 33-36 mpg on the highway as well, despite having bigger, more tuned engines than your little Civic. My S2000 pulled a solid 30-32 mpg on the highway despite the short gearing, shitty coD, and RWD.

Don't try to talk down to me because you prefer what amounts to a 4 door RSX.

I am fully aware EPA numbers are unreliable, but I simply have a hard time believing the figures you quoted. For example, here is a well known site where owners regularly track their MPG for various cars, so you are getting average MPG from dozens of conscientious drivers.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/acura/tl

The 3G TL consistently averages 22-25 MPG. It's hard to imagine highway numbers exceeding 30 MPG with this vehicle. I'm not going to debate that any further, since it's pointless.

You're suggesting I'm "talking down to you"? Funny, because that is exactly the vibe that you give off on a regular basis in this thread. I just decided to point it out for you. Your stooping to childish insults of cars is the best example of your maturity level when discussing these topics with others.

reilo

Why are we talking about the TL's handling like it matters given that it's FWD?

At least the '09s+ have SH-AWD, but come in at 3900lbs and auto only ugh.

ascii42

Why are we talking about the TL's handling like it matters given that it's FWD?

At least the '09s+ have SH-AWD, but come in at 3900lbs and auto only ugh.
Because some people may care about handling somewhat, even if it isn't their first priority.

Also, handling in a FWD can vary widely, just like it can in a RWD car. I'm fairly certain the TL handles better than any of the RWD cars I've owned.

reilo

Because some people may care about handling somewhat, even if it isn't their first priority.

Also, handling in a FWD can vary widely, just like it can in a RWD car. I'm fairly certain the TL handles better than any of the RWD cars I've owned.

You must have owned some godawful RWD cars then.

I wasn't referring to a TSX's weight vs a TL. You brought the TL up (again), when suggesting cars he should check out, and the weight difference between the Civic Si he bought, and the TL you recommended was what I was talking about.

For the record I do not currently own a TSX, in case you were wondering.

I am fully aware EPA numbers are unreliable, but I simply have a hard time believing the figures you quoted. For example, here is a well known site where owners regularly track their MPG for various cars, so you are getting average MPG from dozens of conscientious drivers.

http://www.fuelly.com/car/acura/tl

The 3G TL consistently averages 22-25 MPG. It's hard to imagine highway numbers exceeding 30 MPG with this vehicle. I'm not going to debate that any further, since it's pointless.

You're suggesting I'm "talking down to you"? Funny, because that is exactly the vibe that you give off on a regular basis in this thread. I just decided to point it out for you. Your stooping to childish insults of cars is the best example of your maturity level when discussing these topics with others.

Do you understand what an average is? An average is combining CITY AND HIGHWAY. 25 MPG combined would mean that the highway avg is over 30, and that city is under 25. Come on now. :\ Also, these people are driving automatics. I'm driving a 6 speed manual. 6 speed manual TL is known to get 2-4 MPG better than the autos.

This is true.

You must have owned some godawful RWD cars then.

TL outhandles Lexus IS350 and G35 2nd gen sedans, for reference.

sammich

The 09+ TL's are flipping ugly though. How they could butcher such a beautiful car i dont know :( At least the newer TSX's look sexy. Im trying to jump from an 01 Maxima to a 2k7/8 TL. Will run the maxima over the winter and go from there. Have a wedding to pay for soon as well, but at least my wifey LOVES the car as well which is a massive plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom