• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Copied and posted from another thread... thought I'd show my new car - and show just how good Australian cars can be!

Stripper13 said:
Picked up my new car the other day, thought I'd share some pictures.

rh07ly.jpg

2qiz5h3.jpg

It's a 2010 Ford Falcon XR6 Turbo (Australian Car).

4.0L Inline 6 Motor, with 6 speed manual transmission.
362 Horsepower (270kW)
533nm Torque
0-100km/h (0-60mph) in 5.1 seconds
0-400m (1/4 Mile) in 13.2 seconds (though I've seen stock XR6T's doing high 12's with a good launch)

It's got amazing features, dual zone climate control, awesome stereo system, bluetooth, iPod/iPhone connectivity, screen (Ford Control Centre lol) in middle of dash, and another control centre in with the gauges. It's nice and quiet (my last car was a noisy V8), smooth to drive, much better at handling and if I put my foot down it absolutely hauls ass, or burns the tyres depending on which gear I'm in.

It has a 5 year warranty on it at the moment, so no modifications to speak of... but when I get bored with it, they're good for 500-600hp with an $800 flash tune - without damaging engine internals (at least not straight away).

Most importantly, my wife is happy with it - though she can't drive manual - she prefers the quieter, softer ride over my previous V8 Falcon and loves the power delivery (533nm available from 1950rpm to 6500rpm - crazy).

To put it in perspective, that car cost me about 36k AUD.

To get a Mustang V8 (2008+) would cost me 100k+ (import/conversion hurts that)... for something else from say BMW, that had similar power levels and features, would put me into the 80k+ category.

Even though the price of cars can be a total ripoff in Australia, the Aussie models are the best bang for buck cars in the world from where I'm standing.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
STG! said:
Good point and I do agree.

First stick too? Veeeery nice, feed it lots of gas, heh! :) And congrats!

Thank you, thank you. :)

It is my first stick and I've overcome the challenges of driving it for the most part. I've driven manuals before, but the 350Z and 370Z are known to be the most difficult to drive, largely due to their clutches (high catch, very limited room for slip, no roll on clutch).

Because the car doesn't roll forward with the clutch, you have to feed it throttle, but not too much throttle or too little throttle. It has to be downright perfect. This is unlike the manual Audi S5 and E92 BMW M3 I test drove prior to deciding I wanted the 370Z - those cars drive themselves. The 370Z is simply more difficult; though, perhaps, more rewarding?

The Audi's clutch grabs right off the floor and the margin for error is massive. The M3 is very similar - clutch is soft and grabs immediately. Plus, both cars being V8s, they can both clutch roll much better than the 370Z can - the 350 and 370Zs barely inch forward, and the Infinitis are even worse, due to their weight.

But again, eventually you get used to the difficulty and you begin to appreciate it more. It makes me feel better that this is my first stick and I've got a good handle of it within my first week. Heck, today I got caught in late night bumper-to-bumper traffic (big accident on highway), and I was just fine for the 15 minutes I spent moving 3 feet and stopping.

Funny story: The second day I had the car, I decided not to drive it to my office (13 mile drive). I figured I simply wasn't comfortable enough if I got stuck in traffic. The guys I work with were talking a whole bunch of shit saying I couldn't drive stick, etc. One of them owns a 2008 Z06. Now, if anybody has driven a Corvette, you know these are the EASIEST cars to drive stick, the amount of torque the cars make allow you to start in 1st without ever touching the throttle.

So I told them, if they get in my car and successfully don't buck, jerk, or stall it...I'll give them 10 bucks. I made $20 the next week when I brought the car. :)

impirius

Auto-GAF! I'm about to purchase my first (and possibly only) fun-to-drive car, and I really don't want to screw it up.

fWFHe.jpg

It's an '07 G35 Sport sedan with 27k miles on it. It's pretty loaded... column-mounted paddle shifters, navigation, memory seats, Bluetooth, adaptive cruise control, and all that. They're asking $26k.

Cons: The ride is a little bit stiff as a passenger, there's a fair amount of highway road noise, and the the throttle is very touchy from a dead stop. Gas mileage is poor. It has one of those car bra film sets all over the front. Two spoilers seems a bit much.

Pros: I want to go back and drive it again. The engine is powerful and has a growl to match. The steering is nice and heavy, even at low speeds. Road feel on this RWD is noticeably better than on the AWD. The interior is gorgeous and comfortable; the exterior is just aggressive enough without trying too hard.

So, I mean... any thoughts? Is this a decent deal? It's tough to get much objective opinion on car forums, since they seem to be mostly positive-reinforcement echo chambers for owners of certain makes or models.

impirius said:
So, I mean... any thoughts? Is this a decent deal? It's tough to get much objective opinion on car forums, since they seem to be mostly positive-reinforcement echo chambers for owners of certain makes or models.

That's not too bad, but you're paying dealership price. I'd offer maybe $24, see if he's flexible at all.

impirius said:
Auto-GAF! I'm about to purchase my first (and possibly only) fun-to-drive car, and I really don't want to screw it up.

fWFHe.jpg

It's an '07 G35 Sport sedan with 27k miles on it. It's pretty loaded... column-mounted paddle shifters, navigation, memory seats, Bluetooth, adaptive cruise control, and all that. They're asking $26k.

Cons: The ride is a little bit stiff as a passenger, there's a fair amount of highway road noise, and the the throttle is very touchy from a dead stop. Gas mileage is poor. It has one of those car bra film sets all over the front. Two spoilers seems a bit much.

Pros: I want to go back and drive it again. The engine is powerful and has a growl to match. The steering is nice and heavy, even at low speeds. Road feel on this RWD is noticeably better than on the AWD. The interior is gorgeous and comfortable; the exterior is just aggressive enough without trying too hard.

that's pretty high for a car with no warranty. Most of those things you list that make the car "loaded" are actually standard features. Nav is probably the only option.

before you buy it, test drive a brand new genesis coupe 3.8, which is also $26000, with a ten year warranty. It's also RWD and probably faster than that car because it's lighter.

impirius

Yeah, I'm not thrilled by the price... it's right around KBB retail. The options are the killer on the price; it has all three available packages for that model year (Premium+Tech+Nav) on the already up-spec Sport trim. There are definitely some cheaper G35s around here, but they're mostly the AWD version for whatever reason.

weekend_warrior: At least they're offering decent value on our trade? Ah, auto dealer math...

akachan ningen: Oh man, I love the Genesis Coupe. I took a 3.8 on a straightaway near here, and it felt like it was about to take off. Unfortunately, that was right around the time we decided that a coupe was a bit too impractical. Now, if they could replace the current 2.0T with something along the lines of the Sonata's 270HP turbo, that would be a killer price point...

aznpxdd: How used is too used for a 335i? I'm planning on keeping this car for a while, and the thought of pricy maintenance a few years down the line is kinda scary.

Thanks so much, guys.

AlphaSnake

DON'T buy a 335i. It will shit a fuel pump or blow a turbo and you will shit a brick when you have to pay for the cost. Trust me. Even the new fuel pumps they're using under the recall aren't that great. Avoid. Avoid. Avoid.

The G35S you're looking at is nice. But work on that price a little bit more. Also, why do you say it has two spoilers? I only see one. Either way, it's definitely a reliable car. And don't listen to the smart guy who said buy an old CTS-V - not only has that car aged very poorly aesthetically, but it looks like total crap on the inside.

AcridMeat

Banned
Quick question for manual-gaf.

I've been driving my 1994 318is for about a month now and I noticed something I've been doing which is probably wrong. I had been, apart from hill starts, neglecting 1st gear. I talked to my BMW friend who says to always start in 1st from a stop. The problem is, I've gotten used to starting in 2nd and now I'm actually having more trouble trying to start in first.

Note I haven't had a problem setting off in 2nd, never any chugging or anything like that. I'll continue starting from 1st because it's annoying me that it is giving me more trouble than it should. I was just curious what your guys' thoughts are on it.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
AcridMeat said:
Quick question for manual-gaf.

I've been driving my 1994 318is for about a month now and I noticed something I've been doing which is probably wrong. I had been, apart from hill starts, neglecting 1st gear. I talked to my BMW friend who says to always start in 1st from a stop. The problem is, I've gotten used to starting in 2nd and now I'm actually having more trouble trying to start in first.

Note I haven't had a problem setting off in 2nd, never any chugging or anything like that. I'll continue starting from 1st because it's annoying me that it is giving me more trouble than it should. I was just curious what your guys' thoughts are on it.

You`re wearing out your clutch faster by starting in 2nd.

aznpxdd said:
Might as well get a used 335i for 26k.

Dear God no...I would never buy a used BMW. I have entirely too many friends who's BMW's spend more time in the shop than on the road.

Awaits for the impending attack from BMW-GAF

But seriously I was planning on purchasing a used BMW before I went with my G35, very happy with my decision reliability wise. No offense to those who own BMW's they are fabulous cars I just wouldn't risk purchasing one used.

AcridMeat

Banned
Conceited said:

That's what I thought, more stress on the clutch/engine. Cheers :)

edit: Man people on GAF freak the fuck out about used cars. I don't think my family has ever owned a new car. Aside from the old 1969 Alfa Berlina, we really haven't had too many problematic ones.

Conceited said:

I don't see how that's gonna wear the clutch out faster. He's basically doing the opposite of a clutch dump launch which is what burns through clutches. If anything he's hurting the engine by making it do too much work at too little RPM.

AcridMeat

Banned
weekend_warrior said:
I don't see how that's gonna wear the clutch out faster. He's basically doing the opposite of a clutch dump launch which is what burns through clutches. If anything he's hurting the engine by making it do too much work at too little RPM.

This was my initial thought. I should explain the reason why I'm having trouble with setting off in first. The car has the torque to pull away in 2nd fine and so far my muscle memory is linked to being in 2nd. So at the moment I give it a little too much gas which causes a delay which then I get frustrated at myself for.

Just more experience and I'll get used to it. I don't know why I got it in my head to ignore 1st. I will still set off in 2nd if I'm on a downward slope though.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
weekend_warrior said:

What?

That doesn`t even make any sense. The opposite of a clutch dump is a clutch slip, which has nothing to do with being in first or second gear.

There are DOZENS of things that can cause clutch burning.

It`s a simple matter of gear ratios, a 2nd gear is a longer ratio and therefore requires a longer clutch engagement and therefore more wear.

Engine doing too much work at too little rpm? Again, makes no sense at all. In order to start in 2nd gear you have engage at higher revs in order to avoid stalling, so it scales.

Conceited said:
What?

That doesn`t even make any sense. The opposite of a clutch dump is a clutch slip, which has nothing to do with being in first or second gear.

There are DOZENS of things that can cause clutch burning.

It`s a simple matter of gear ratios, a 2nd gear is a longer ratio and therefore requires a longer clutch engagement and therefore more wear.

Engine doing too much work at too little rpm? Again, makes no sense at all. In order to start in 2nd gear you have engage at higher revs in order to avoid stalling, so it scales.

idk, seeing as your tag is "mechaniphiliac" (lol), you probably have a lot more experience then me. I don't ever start in 2nd because I drive a WRX which doesn't have enough low-end torque to get to car going in 2nd, but I know people with Mustangs who will occasionally start in 2nd without problems because their V-8's can do it. I've always been told that most premature clutch wear results from high RPM slipping. So I guess if he's needing to rev the engine up to get rolling smoothly in 2nd that would be bad for the clutch, bad that's just bad practice all around, regardless of the gear.

Anyway, I sent you a PM about a car in GT5. Check it out.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
The only time I would buy a used BMW is if I was intent of ripping out the engine, ECU and wiring harness and replacing it all with something brand new and different. It might not be a BMW under the hood, but it'll be one hell of a project car that runs great (theoretically). Of course there are a ton of problems that can prop up with that, but either way you're risking something.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
weekend_warrior said:
idk, seeing as your tag is "mechaniphiliac" (lol), you probably have a lot more experience then me. I don't ever start in 2nd because I drive a WRX which doesn't have enough low-end torque to get to car going in 2nd, but I know people with Mustangs who will occasionally start in 2nd without problems because their V-8's can do it. I've always been told that most premature clutch wear results from high RPM slipping. So I guess if he's needing to rev the engine up to get rolling smoothly in 2nd that would be bad for the clutch, bad that's just bad practice all around, regardless of the gear.

Anyway, I sent you a PM about a car in GT5. Check it out.

Well I used to design cars and now aftermarket parts for a living. I don`t know if that makes me more experienced in regards to this since this is more of a mechanics field but yeah, its just what I know.

Most premature clutch wear occurs from people lidiling their foot on the clutch pedal since a lot of manual cars (at least older ones) have no dead pedal to rest your foot, but yes overrevving while launching is also a huge wear factor, I did it all the time on my first car, I used to rev way too high just to assure that I wouldn`t stall it, took me many months to learn that I didn`t have to do that.

I hope any of this makes sense, I`m so tired.

reilo said:
The only time I would buy a used BMW is if I was intent of ripping out the engine, ECU and wiring harness and replacing it all with something brand new and different. It might not be a BMW under the hood, but it'll be one hell of a project car that runs great (theoretically). Of course there are a ton of problems that can prop up with that, but either way you're risking something.

BMW`s are extremely popular for this, especially E30`s. They are very well built cars and are extremely cheap on insurance so people end up swapping in something like an SR20 or RB20 and having a super quick well handling car that is really cheap to maintain.

Conceited said:
Good choice for going hybrid if you`re looking at entry level.

Can I ask why you want a hybrid?

I drive a lot. I mean, I have a Civic now, its great and all but it might be on its last legs. I would love the space of an SUV, but I doubt its in my budget. You can't really beat 45 miles to the gallon, right?

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
killertofu said:
I drive a lot. I mean, I have a Civic now, its great and all but it might be on its last legs. I would love the space of an SUV, but I doubt its in my budget. You can't really beat 45 miles to the gallon, right?

Do you do mostly city driving or highway? If you`re almost exclusively doing highway driving then getting a hybrid isn`t really worth it. In that situation you should go for a diesel or any economic 4cyl.

Anyways, if you really wanted to go all out and if you`re not that concerned with the year of the car you could just get a 1st gen Honda Insight.

It averages anywhere from 60-90MPG and is still to this day the best real world (not EPA estimates) MPG hybrid for a used car anyways. Car and driver managed 120MPG on a drive from Ohio to Detroit but they were drafting their camera car.

The civic hybrid is a fine choice if you want something more modern and are on a budget, but yeah, it really depends on how much you care about MPG VS. all the other factors involved in buying a car.

Conceited

mechaniphiliac
killertofu said:

Thats the new genration, which isn`t as fuel efficent as the old one and would only be slightly better than the Civic. It`s really a toss up between the two as far as MPG goes, test drive them both and see which one you prefer.

The Insight I was refering to is the 2000-2006 generation, but again if you don`t want something that old or with that many miles on it then go for the new Insight or the Civic.

AlphaSnake

Conceited: You design aftermarket stuff? Who do you work for and for what cars? :)

PM me if you don't wanna' make it public.

Alucrid

Banned
So what choices are in there in the two door, manual, sports car, ~25k range?

The only thing that comes to mind is maybe a 350z or maybe a 3 series?

AlphaSnake

Alucrid said:
So what choices are in there in the two door, manual, sports car, ~25k range?

The only thing that comes to mind is maybe a 350z or maybe a 3 series?

You can get a 370Z for that money today. I had a 350Z, and bought a 370Z last month...massive upgrade in every way. Even compared to the 335i Coupe, the 370Z handles better, has a nicer interior (especially with the navi), looks better/more aggressive, much lighter, has a limited-slip differential, and is marginally quicker.

Smokey

AlphaSnake said:
You can get a 370Z for that money today. I had a 350Z, and bought a 370Z last month...massive upgrade in every way. Even compared to the 335i Coupe, the 370Z handles better, has a nicer interior (especially with the navi), looks better/more aggressive, much lighter, has a limited-slip differential, and is marginally quicker.

I've been really coming around to the 370Z, but reading some reviews they all mention how bad the road noise is in the car.

What's your take on this?

Also I've never driven manual before, but want to since my next car will most likely be a sports car. How quickly can one pick up manual? I've sort of self taught by self in Gran Turismo 5 with my Logitech G27...but I don't know how well that translates to the real world :lol

pj

Banned
Lots of bmw hate up in this thread. They're not insanely expensive to own used, especially if you're willing to fix minor things yourself and do preventative maintenance. I'm on my 3rd used bmw and they've all been great.

4914032878_8c781fec81_z.jpg

I enjoy this car far more than the hondas and hyundais that were in my price range.

STG!

Smokey said:
Also I've never driven manual before, but want to since my next car will most likely be a sports car. How quickly can one pick up manual? I've sort of self taught by self in Gran Turismo 5 with my Logitech G27...but I don't know how well that translates to the real world :lol

A week tops, if that? The trick is getting a feel for the clutch and finding that sweet spot, after that, it's dealing with starting from a dead stop up a hill. Those are probably the hardest things initially I would say, but it's a lot of fun.

Dunno how well GT5 replicates that type of experience with a steering wheel controller and a clutch pedal, plus most of the clutches I've used can be pretty heavy when you step your foot on it. But if you enjoy using it in a game, chances are you'll probably enjoy it more in real life. :)

Zyzyxxz

pj said:
Lots of bmw hate up in this thread. They're not insanely expensive to own used, especially if you're willing to fix minor things yourself and do preventative maintenance. I'm on my 3rd used bmw and they've all been great.

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4117/4914032878_8c781fec81_z.jpg[img]

I enjoy this car far more than the hondas and hyundais that were in my price range.[/QUOTE]

I'm just not a fan of post 2003 BMW's. The designs are so horrid, especially the 7-series.

reilo

Smokey said:
Unfortunately the G27/GT5 cannot simulate clutch control/feathering -- it's either on or off. Being able to feather the clutch and modulate it a little bit is extremely important especially at slow speeds, and you need to know when the gear engages when you let off the clutch, which you can't really get from the G27/GT5. But at least you get the gist of it.

Enron

Banned
impirius said:

fWFHe.jpg

Another gaffer looking at a G35 here. I test drove one before xmas and fell in love with it. Which is bad because I was wanting to pay 12k-15k cash for my next car, and I need it within the month. The G35 is at the high end of my limit, and if I want one with under 70k miles i'd have to dip into savings and I'm not willing to do that. So I'm sitting here wondering if I should just buy one with 70k-80k miles on it and just enjoy it instead of getting a lesser car with lower mileage. I only drive about 9k a year so im not worried about piling miles on, and I know g35 drivers at work that are both over 140k on their cars with no major mechanical issues ever.

The smart play would be to just get a used v6 Sonata, but my god what a boring car. #2 on my list at the moment is a v6 Mazda 6. Anything else i should be looking at in the fun-to-drive-sedan category in the under 16k-used zone?

AlphaSnake

Smokey said:
I've been really coming around to the 370Z, but reading some reviews they all mention how bad the road noise is in the car.

What's your take on this?

The road noise doesn't bother me that much to be honest. But it all depends on your highways. If you have blacktop roads (asphalt) then you won't notice the road noise much. If you have mostly concrete highways, then you will.

Also, the 370Z is my first manual, but I had some light experience from driving others before. GT5 gives you a good idea of the concept, but because it lacks any feel or feedback, it's not a proper way to actually learn. Not to discourage you, but most people will tell you the 350Z or 370Z are some of the trickiest cars to drive in stick, largely due to their clutches. I had it down well enough to drive in crazy New York City traffic after about 1 week, that includes a commute with steep hills and fucktarded drivers who creep on your ass at a red light.

I do highly recommend this car. It is massively refined over my previous 350Z - it's pretty much an Infiniti in build quality, as far as Nissans go, with the precision of a Z. Some pointers driving it:

- The clutch catches high, very important to know this. In fact, when playing with the Logitech G27 in GT5, the 370Z's clutch catches about as high as the G27 does in GT5. So engagement is about 2/3rds up on the actual car.

- But just because you know the clutch needs to be released 2/3rds, don't try and release it quick...you WILL stall. Release the clutch very, very gently while your foot is lightly on the throttle with the revs built up to about 2000-2500RPM, or so.

- You will feel the car start to move, the clutch is engaging! Do not release the clutch! Keep the clutch at that VERY point where you first felt the car start moving, and apply MORE throttle and then slowly come off the clutch as you've accumulated about 5MPH.

- Why more throttle? Because when the clutch engages (transmission and engine linked, essentially), your RPM will begin dropping. As you know, if your RPM drops too low (about 300RPM on the Z) it will stall, or at the very least jerk like hell. So as the clutch engages and your RPMs begin to drop, you give more gas, while your left foot is still keeping the clutch at its engagement point, until you're moving well enough to smoothly come off the clutch.

- Why does the RPM drop? Because when your car is not moving your engine is spinning, meanwhile the transmission (what actually transmits engine power to the wheels) is NOT spinning. So when you're engaging the clutch, you're linking the transmission (currently spinning at 0RPM) to the motor which is spinning at thousands of RPMs. So now the motor needs to get that transmission up to speed, as well, in order to get the car to move. As you can imagine, the motor went from revving freely to having the heavy burden of having to spin the transmission's components, causing the motor to slow down, thus your revs dropping.

Feel free to ask me any further questions. Sorry if that was too much unnecessary detail.

pj

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
I'm just not a fan of post 2003 BMW's. The designs are so horrid, especially the 7-series.

That's fair. The Bangle cars were super ugly. They're finally back on track with the new 5,6 and 7 series, though. I have high hopes for the next 3 series too.

http://www.6post.com/goodiesforyou/6/f13/studio/1920x1200_bmw_6series_convertible_09.jpg
http://www.6post.com/goodiesforyou/6/f13/release/P90066859_highRes.jpg
http://content.bmwusa.com/microsite...owroom/gallery/img/wallpaper_03_1920x1200.jpg

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
So of the major car mags in the US (Car and Driver, Motor Trend, Automobile, Road and Track...I guess you could add Super Street to that) whats ya'lls favorite?

Automobile mag wins for me thanks to a great layout, having the brilliant Ezra Dyer on staff, and having some amazing articles.
Although like a true car nut, I buy them all almost every month.

Also, I called it about 3 years ago but I'll say it again...within the next ten years, Hyundia/Kia will be one of the top selling brands in the world and offer better cars than both Toyota and Honda.

And I recently spent the day in the back of an old Range Rover and was blown away about how this 30 year old truck still face fucked every road it came across no matter how nasty it was. With about 700 pounds in the back, this thing hauled up the most torn up roads I have ever seen without even blinking.

IMG_2158.jpg

This is the hill we just hauled ass up for reference, going down it again was a blast

IMG_2173.jpg

Zyzyxxz

pj said:

I'm still not a fan though. I find the 5 series to be so complexing in terms of design. It seems like it wants to be both a 7 series and a 3 series. The new 7-series looked good at first to me but it pales in comparison to the Audi A8 and 2011 Mercedes E-class. This is all in my opinion of course.

I just don't really know where they are going with their designs. I cant stand the bulges many of the models display. The taillights on most models are disappointing, for me I have a fetish for great tail light designs as Audi right now has some of my favorites.

The front lips and low front bumpers for the new 5 and 7 series is horrible with that giant wide open mouth look. Are we in the early 2000's for Japanese automakers or what? I'll look forward to the day they decide to do a Ford style Mustang style revival for the 3-series, hopefully in a throwback to the E28 3 series.

Smokey

AlphaSnake said:
Manual tips

Wow thanks for writing that up. Right now I drive a 2004 Corolla that I got brand new in 04 and now has 112k miles on it (got the car in high school). I just graduated from school in December and start working in January. I've had the Corolla since I started driving and kind of feel the need to move on:lol . It's boring, it's small etc. Don't NEED a new car, but I'm getting the itch.

Been paying more attention to the 370z and I like it. Interior is nice and I really like the look of it. I could get it in automatic, but I feel like that'd be a waste. Then again my gf would want to drive the car and :lol :lol at her wanting to learn manual.

We'll see how it goes, I just know I want to get rid of this Corolla :/

AlphaSnake

Smokey said:
Wow thanks for writing that up. Right now I drive a 2004 Corolla that I got brand new in 04 and now has 112k miles on it (got the car in high school). I just graduated from school in December and start working in January. I've had the Corolla since I started driving and kind of feel the need to move on:lol . It's boring, it's small etc. Don't NEED a new car, but I'm getting the itch.

Been paying more attention to the 370z and I like it. Interior is nice and I really like the look of it. I could get it in automatic, but I feel like that'd be a waste. Then again my gf would want to drive the car and :lol :lol at her wanting to learn manual.

We'll see how it goes, I just know I want to get rid of this Corolla :/

As fantastic as the 7-speed automatic is (I had a 5AT 350Z - Nissan's autos truly are sensational), it doesn't give you the whole picture. Driving stick isn't that difficult at all. I'll put it to you this way: I've met a plethora of people who knew jack and shit about cars, yet they were driving stick. Since you have enough of an interest in GT5 to splurge on a G27...I take it you enjoy cars, so chances are you know more than just jack and shit, right? Keep that in your head and remember it when you're starting out. Once the confidence is there even just a grain, it builds up incredibly quick. Take it from me.

Plus, if you live in an area that is flat and not very congested (where do you live?) you shouldn't even have a concern. Just buy it. :)

But do what I did, have a buddy drive it back home and take you to an empty parking lot for a little bit to get the feel of it.

Ettie

AlphaSnake said:
As fantastic as the 7-speed automatic is (I had a 5AT 350Z - Nissan's autos truly are sensational), it doesn't give you the whole picture. Driving stick isn't that difficult at all. I'll put it to you this way: I've met a plethora of people who knew jack and shit about cars, yet they were driving stick. Since you have enough of an interest in GT5 to splurge on a G27...I take it you enjoy cars, so chances are you know more than just jack and shit, right? Keep that in your head and remember it when you're starting out. Once the confidence is there even just a grain, it builds up incredibly quick. Take it from me.

Plus, if you live in an area that is flat and not very congested (where do you live?) you shouldn't even have a concern. Just buy it. :)

But do what I did, have a buddy drive it back home and take you to an empty parking lot for a little bit to get the feel of it.

He's right. If you really want to learn, you can learn. Just be dedicated for the short time it takes to form good standard trans habits. Shifting will feel as natural as changing the radio station. You'll just do it without thinking. I don't think I'll ever have an automatic car; I love feeling like the vehicle is an extension of my body. Fantastic.

reilo

I love what the 370z provides, but I just cannot get over its looks. It might grow on me in a few years, but so far, eh. I wish there was a car with the looks of an Audi S5 with the performance (not to mention weight) and price of a 370Z.

As far as its clutch, I can't imagine it being worse than the transmission/clutch in my Mazdaspeed6. That sonbitch took me months to get a hang of.

reilo said:
As far as its clutch, I can't imagine it being worse than the transmission/clutch in my Mazdaspeed6. That sonbitch took me months to get a hang of.

Probably because of pedal placement. The first time I sat in one I was amazed with how close to center the clutch pedal was. Made it pretty fatiguing to modulate with the steering wheel in the way for me.

AlphaSnake

reilo said:
I love what the 370z provides, but I just cannot get over its looks. It might grow on me in a few years, but so far, eh. I wish there was a car with the looks of an Audi S5 with the performance (not to mention weight) and price of a 370Z.

Tell me this doesn't look cumtastic.

IMG_1858.jpg

IMG_1856.jpg

I can't wait to get my headlights blacked out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom