• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

bionic77

AlphaSnake said:
Tell me this doesn't look cumtastic.

[]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/ilive2win/IMG_1858.jpg[/IMG]
[]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/ilive2win/IMG_1856.jpg[/IMG]

I can't wait to get my headlights blacked out.
That car is sweet, but 2 door sports cars always look awesome, but they are also pretty impractical the older you get.

And it doesn't look half as nice in 4 doors (a sin that applies to most cars).

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
twinturbo2 said:
I like the wheels on that one... but why did that guy remove the door handles? I like the door handles on the Z.

Some people just like that look. Personally, I would never rely on an air-pressure system to pop my locks. I'm sure there's some failsafe trick to open the door if the unit craps out, but I wouldn't even bother. I personally enjoy pulling open my door - it feels nice.

aznpxdd

AlphaSnake said:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/ilive2win/IMG_1858.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/ilive2win/IMG_1856.jpg[/IMG

I can't wait to get my headlights blacked out.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but its no S5 :P

[IMG]http://execstudio.com/products/dpe/SP-SC-Series_SC7/automotive_connoisseur_execstudio_dpe_wheels_sp-series_super_concave_sc7_audi_s5_a5_white_polished_brushed_chrome_02.jpg

automotive_connoisseur_execstudio_dpe_wheels_sp-series_super_concave_sc7_audi_s5_a5_white_polished_brushed_chrome_01.jpg

Mmmm..soo concave.

AlphaSnake

aznpxdd said:
Yeah, but its no S5 :p

automotive_connoisseur_execstudio_dpe_wheels_sp-series_super_concave_sc7_audi_s5_a5_white_polished_brushed_chrome_02.jpg

automotive_connoisseur_execstudio_dpe_wheels_sp-series_super_concave_sc7_audi_s5_a5_white_polished_brushed_chrome_01.jpg

Mmmm..soo concave.

I love how both look equally. I do also own an Audi A6 4.2, so I couldn't really justify buying an S5 when thinking of a new car. I debated between a number of cars and test drove them all (E92 BMW M3, Audi S5, 370Z, etc.) and ultimately felt like the 370Z was the one that I loved the most.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
I love the S5 but that 370Z in those pictures is straight sex.

Also I know it's not exactly new news, but I really like what they did with the new charger, made it far more handsome.
2011-dodge-charger-taillights.jpg

2011_Dodge_Charger.bmp

of course its Amuuurican so it will likely get no love from car snobs.

AlphaSnake

siddx said:
I love the S5 but that 370Z in those pictures is straight sex.

Also I know it's not exactly new news, but I really like what they did with the new charger, made it far more handsome.
2011-dodge-charger-taillights.jpg

2011_Dodge_Charger.bmp

of course its Amuuurican so it will likely get no love from car snobs.

I'm a car snob, and I'm paying some respect. Though I do prefer the Challenger and its upgrades for 2011 (SRT8 382 WTFOMFGBBQ). I actually love nearly everything Ford offers too.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
My dad has a 370z, he should of got it in black though. He got the dark grey color to continue his 350z's color.

The new charger looks sweet in the back, but i still hate that car. I had to drive a rental for 3 weeks and wanted my car back every minute of it. Of course it was a base model, but it just felt cheap.

The new ford explorer looks ugly as sin. Should of made it look more like the F150 raptor.

2011-ford-explorer-xl.jpg

Pein

Banned
AlphaSnake said:
Some people just like that look. Personally, I would never rely on an air-pressure system to pop my locks. I'm sure there's some failsafe trick to open the door if the unit craps out, but I wouldn't even bother. I personally enjoy pulling open my door - it feels nice.
My cousin says you can't track your car if the handles are shaved, dunno if its true but it makes sense. That's reason enough to never do it.

siddx

AlphaSnake said:
I'm a car snob, and I'm paying some respect. Though I do prefer the Challenger and its upgrades for 2011 (SRT8 382 WTFOMFGBBQ). I actually love nearly everything Ford offers too.

I'm glad the Challenger is finally getting a trim level worthy of it's max 40K price tag. The old 370HP hemi just didn't cut it. This new one is pretty damn sweet sounding.

And more importantly from a business standpoint, they are throwing a decent v6 base engine out there too (it could use more torque but oh well, still better than they old POS).

AlphaSnake

Bad_Boy said:
My dad has a 370z, he should of got it in black though. He got the dark grey color to continue his 350z's color.

The new charger looks sweet in the back, but i still hate that car. I had to drive a rental for 3 weeks and wanted my car back every minute of it. Of course it was a base model, but it just felt cheap.

The new ford explorer looks ugly as sin. Should of made it look more like the F150 raptor.

Your dad is the man.

And personally, I dig the new Explorer. But I also do love the new 2011 Edge, which my buddy just got. Sick car, especially the Sport model.

siddx said:
I'm glad the Challenger is finally getting a trim level worthy of it's max 40K price tag. The old 370HP hemi just didn't cut it. This new one is pretty damn sweet sounding.

And more importantly from a business standpoint, they are throwing a decent v6 base engine out there too (it could use more torque but oh well, still better than they old POS).

Yes, dear God yes. A 250HP V6 on a 3800lb muscle car was just about the dumbest fucking move Chrysler could've done with the car. So happy that they've finally given the car 305HP worth of balls. It's still heavier, and thus slower than the competition by a little bit, but it's an infinitely improved car, regardless.

I do believe that I would pick an SRT8 382 over a Mustang GT 5.0, nevermind the Camaro and its disastrous interior. The SRT8's upgraded suspension, improved interior, massive power, and timeless looks simply work better than the Mustang and its raggedy live-rear axle. I'm sorry, but that continues to be the deal breaker for me with that car.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
AlphaSnake said:
Your dad is the man.

And personally, I dig the new Explorer. But I also do love the new 2011 Edge, which my buddy just got. Sick car, especially the Sport model.
I personally think they should of kept going with the 2009 design.
presskit_10_Explorer.jpg

Love those lights in the front.

now it just looks more "soccer mom-ish"? just like the new range rovers. ugh.

next-generation-range-rover-artists-rendering.jpg

siddx

I have an ingrained hatred of Mustangs that has formed over the years. Probably because I signed my name on one for an ex right before we broke up lol. It became a constant source of irritation as she failed to make payments on it and the bank harassed ME about it.

I like the Camaro but the Challenger is far and away the best looking of the three, and now that it has some balls it would be my choice if I had 40K to spend on a muscle car. I'd still probably go with the Camaro if I only had enough for the V6 though. Actually i'd probably get the Hyundia Genesis if we are talking V6's (not included the Z).

I also like the new explorer, I like ford's new face for it's SUV's. I like the new Dodge Durango better though. It is just mean looking.

2011-Dodge-Durango-10-660x440.jpg

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Liking that new durango, finally it doesnt look dated. Could do without the chrome though, but i guess thats dodges thing.

siddx

Bad_Boy said:
Liking that new durango, finally it doesnt look dated. Could do without the chrome though, but i guess thats dodges thing.

I was going to say something about the chrome too. I don't mind it so much in the grill although a little bit toned down would be nice, but I hate chrome wheels on SUVS (I dont really like them in general but they look extra ridiculous on SUVS imo).

AlphaSnake

siddx said:
I have an ingrained hatred of Mustangs that has formed over the years. Probably because I signed my name on one for an ex right before we broke up lol. It became a constant source of irritation as she failed to make payments on it and the bank harassed ME about it.

I like the Camaro but the Challenger is far and away the best looking of the three, and now that it has some balls it would be my choice if I had 40K to spend on a muscle car. I'd still probably go with the Camaro if I only had enough for the V6 though. Actually i'd probably get the Hyundia Genesis if we are talking V6's (not included the Z).

I also like the new explorer, I like ford's new face for it's SUV's. I like the new Dodge Durango better though. It is just mean looking.

2011-Dodge-Durango-10-660x440.jpg

Agreed. I love the new Durango too, it looks badass.

And isn't it funny how a Hyundai is always being slotted in with American muscle cars? Every single comparison test between the three American V6 muscle cars always includes the Genesis. But yes, I'd also grab a Genesis 3.8 over the V6 Americans, even if its looks are a bit...funny in many aspects.

siddx

Yeah the genesis is weird in that regard. Good looking from some angles, shockingly ugly from others. But I have heard from way too many owners who say driving one is a blast if you find a little open road and have a heavy foot.

Someone told me people have been choosing the turbo 4 in the genesis over the V6 because it's lighter and can be pretty easily modified to put out monster numbers.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
I agree. Chrome on anything 4x4 just doesnt make sense.

I plan on blacking out my FJ completely some day.
Something like this...
img_0096.jpg

Though not sure if I want to go line-x, gloss, or matte.

AlphaSnake

siddx said:
Yeah the genesis is weird in that regard. Good looking from some angles, shockingly ugly from others. But I have heard from way too many owners who say driving one is a blast if you find a little open road and have a heavy foot.

Someone told me people have been choosing the turbo 4 in the genesis over the V6 because it's lighter and can be pretty easily modified to put out monster numbers.

Yeah, it is a Mitsubishi motor after all, a very close relative to the 2.0L Evo motor, in fact. I've seen some tunes dyno crazy high amounts, which pretty much makes the 2.0T the tuner's choice.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
AlphaSnake said:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/ilive2win/IMG_1858.jpg[/IMG
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v287/ilive2win/IMG_1856.jpg[/IMG

I can't wait to get my headlights blacked out.[/QUOTE]
It's a good looking car, but that all depends on the angle for me. Whenever I see a S5 I'm just in a daze. It's just a more refined exterior, simpler styling, and more symmetry that just makes me go on a fapping frenzy.

In all honesty, in a few years a 370Z might be a car on my "potential" shopping list once I nail down which RWD coupe I want.

AlphaSnake said:
Yeah, it is a Mitsubishi motor after all, a very close relative to the 2.0L Evo motor, in fact. I've seen some tunes dyno crazy high amounts, which pretty much makes the 2.0T the tuner's choice.

Wow, didnt know that at all. Good info.

Zyzyxxz

Bad_Boy said:
I agree. Chrome on anything 4x4 just doesnt make sense.

I plan on blacking out my FJ completely some day.
Something like this...
img_0096.jpg

Though not sure if I want to go line-x, gloss, or matte.

dam, my only thing is I think its too much black. It'd be sick with some white or yellow highlights.

Alucrid

Banned
aznpxdd said:
Yeah, but its no S5 :p

http://execstudio.com/products/dpe/SP-SC-Series_SC7/automotive_connoisseur_execstudio_dpe_wheels_sp-series_super_concave_sc7_audi_s5_a5_white_polished_brushed_chrome_02.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://execstudio.com/products/dpe/SP-SC-Series_SC7/automotive_connoisseur_execstudio_dpe_wheels_sp-series_super_concave_sc7_audi_s5_a5_white_polished_brushed_chrome_01.jpg[IMG]

Mmmm..soo concave.[/QUOTE]

[IMG]http://www.caranddriver.com/var/ezflow_site/storage/images/reviews/car/10q4/audi_quattro_concept_-first_drive_review/gallery/audi_quattro_concept_photo_16/3973523-1-eng-US/audi_quattro_concept_61_cd_gallery.jpg

Probably my second favorite Audi design. The first being the R8 of course.

Enron

Banned
reilo said:
It's a good looking car, but that all depends on the angle for me. Whenever I see a S5 I'm just in a daze. It's just a more refined exterior, simpler styling, and more symmetry that just makes me go on a fapping frenzy.

In all honesty, in a few years a 370Z might be a car on my "potential" shopping list once I nail down which RWD coupe I want.

In a few years you won't want a coupe :/

As I age, I find myself looking at coupes and thinking "I could never deal with that lack of space". Sad but true.

Zyzyxxz

Enron said:

As I age, I find myself looking at coupes and thinking "I could never deal with that lack of space". Sad but true.

I'm 24 and I'm already there. I find that hatchbacks offer so much more in terms of versatility which is why I would go for a Ford Fiesta if I had to choose a new car. Enough trips to Ikea have changed my mindset.

Enron

Banned
Zyzyxxz said:
I'm 24 and I'm already there. I find that hatchbacks offer so much more in terms of versatility which is why I would go for a Ford Fiesta if I had to choose a new car. Enough trips to Ikea have changed my mindset.

When I was in-between cars a few years ago I was driving one of the family spares, my sister's old Chevy Cavalier she had in high school and college. I bought a TV stand at West Elm and was just barely able to cram the box in the car by letting down the backseat, laying back the passenger seat, and I had to drive through midtown atlanta to my house with one hand on the steering wheel, and another pushing against the box so it didnt shift and hit the shifter which it was precariously close to. My right side ached for a couple of days after that. Never again.

Enron said:

I've been thinking about that as well. Next year I'm probably going to be looking at a new car to replace my 2005 Civic. I really want a Mustang but the rear seating has me concerned.

Smokey

that's why keep the car you have now if possible.

i'll be keeping my corolla if i get a coupe. corolla isn't very big but at least it's bigger than a coupe.

black_13

Banned
Which one is a better choice in terms of performance, reliability, and quality?

Audi S4 B6 2003–2005
or
BMW M3 E46 2001-2006
or suggest something similar that has 300+hp, around $22k, luxurious.

siddx

black_13 said:

Audi S4 B6 2003–2005
or
BMW M3 E46 2001-2006

Preference wise I'd go with the S4 every time since I think BMW's are ugly as fuck, but if you are looking at performance you can't go wrong with either choice.
I have heard reliability is iffy on both cars of that era though. With some cars being bulletproof and others being lemons. You could say "like with any car" but unless I am getting it mixed up with another era, the mid 2000 BMW and Audi's caught heat for letting their quality standards dip drastically.

AlphaSnake

black_13 said:

Audi S4 B6 2003–2005
or
BMW M3 E46 2001-2006

Both are equally reliable (that is not to say they ARE reliable, but rather they'll both give you a problem here and there), but avoid M3s from 2001-2003 (severe motor issues).

Though between the two you have to ask yourself, do you want AWD or RWD? Do you need AWD in your area? If not, I'd personally get the M3. But, if you were asking me to choose between the updated 2006 B7 S4, then I'd be in a pickle.

AlphaSnake

Enron said:

This is why you buy or keep a second car to have as a backup.

reilo

Enron said:

What makes you think I'm gonna get one as a primary driver :lol

This is my most expensive hobby. There won't be a lack of cars in my garage.

My Speed6 firmly covers the "Japanese 4-cylinder turbo AWD sedan" segment, my girlfriend has a Mazda3 5-door (which she'll probably replace with an Subaru Outback so we won't worry about taking it up the mountain), and then sooner or later I'm going to have that RWD (or AWD) European coupe with a big motor.

Zyzyxxz

reilo said:
What makes you think I'm gonna get one as a primary driver :lol

This is my most expensive hobby. There won't be a lack of cars in my garage.

My Speed6 firmly covers the "Japanese 4-cylinder turbo AWD sedan" segment, my girlfriend has a Mazda3 5-door (which she'll probably replace with an Subaru Outback so we won't worry about taking it up the mountain), and then sooner or later I'm going to have that RWD (or AWD) European coupe with a big motor.

living the dream.

I want a Subaru WRX or RS (to a much lesser extent).

2002-2005 cause I can afford it. Now to find one :D. I saw some stuff on ebay that I can easily afford but can I trust it GAF?

I hear that subs have great heater systems lol.

What's good about the Subaru outback sport though?

Tarazet

siddx said:
I was going to say something about the chrome too. I don't mind it so much in the grill although a little bit toned down would be nice, but I hate chrome wheels on SUVS (I dont really like them in general but they look extra ridiculous on SUVS imo).

I never see American trucks/SUVs without chrome wheels. They're ubiquitous.

These are apparently the first shots of the production version of the Pagani Zonda's successor, the Huayra:

xUF5p.jpg

DgUQP.jpg

Nothing too surprising; the spy shots of the development mules basically revealed the final shape of the car. Like the Enzo, it's relying on active aerodynamics with diffusers and movable flaps instead of traditional wings. The front end is, uh... okay, it looks like a whale shark. The Huayra will probably grow on me over time, but as of now the Zonda remains far more appealing-- I can really see it aging like the McLaren F1, an unsurpassed milestone car.

Official shots will be released by the end of the month, and the car itself will debut at the Geneva motor show. What say you, GAF?

Zyzyxxz

twinturbo2 said:
Ewww @ the new Pagani.

yeah not a fan too, looks too much like the last one but the body lines made worse.

I mean I think its still good looking but not compared to the last one.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
I was hesitant to post the new Pagani, oh god its so bad.

Hell, I was going to make a thread off of the barf that is the 2012 Ferrari FF as well. Ferrari made a shooting brake to replace the 612 and it looks STUPENDEOUSLY ugly. Not as far as Panamera, but oh man.

110003car.jpg

110002car.jpg

110001car.jpg

ferrari broke my heart.

What a fucking mess. My kneejerk reaction is that it looks like a first-gen BMW Z3, only somehow worse. The front view is the worst, with that idiotic smiling face that I'll never unsee.

Ferrari has lost the plot.

reilo

It's got that weird rear-end that the ugly ass Chrysler Crossfire did.

Zyzyxxz

The front looks like a mix between the 458 Italia and the old 612, looks like a bad combo.

I love the rear design, very aggressive but then I look at the sideshot and its pretty bad.

Why couldn't Ferrari had just make a 4-door car instead. Whats the point of a shooting brake just to keep 2 doors while allowing for ample rear seat space.

I still don't understand the Panamera hate. If I had the cash and I was looking for a 4 door to lug around a family, the Panamera would be on my list. Have any of you guys seen it in person?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
Jamesfrom818 said:
I still don't understand the Panamera hate. If I had the cash and I was looking for a 4 door to lug around a family, the Panamera would be on my list. Have any of you guys seen it in person?
Yes, I've seen it at autoshows and seen it on the road. Competitor for the worst looking car ever created. (/hyperbole) No matter how well it drives, how comfy the interior is, I would rather be in a CLS, and wouldn't be caught dead in it.

golem

The Panamera, while not looking great by any means, definitely does have presence. Lowered on some 22"s and tinted it actually looks fairly good. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it.

The FF looks awesome.

Also played with my friend's GT-R today. I think I need one.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
golem said:
The Panamera, while not looking great by any means, definitely does have presence. Lowered on some 22"s and tinted it actually looks fairly good. I wouldn't hesitate to drive it.

The FF looks awesome.

Also played with my friend's GT-R today. I think I need one.
Your friend has a GT-R? Hot damn. I want friends like yours.

And every time I see a rapper with a tuned Panamera, I think the same thing I think when I see them in a rented Bugatti Veyron: they're only driving it because they think its new and quite obviously a status symbol. The problem with these shooting brake/4 door coupe style cars is, Mercedes decided to make it a trend, and is the only one who's done the profile of the car right. Everyone else can't get the side or the rear to look anything other than a bulbous mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom