• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Automotive Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
You know what the GT-86 reminds me of? Not necessarily in style (some similarities are there), but in execution:

04.chrysler.crossfire.500.jpg

Am I off-base or being too harsh?

Zyzyxxz

Went to the LA auto show and test drove the Fiat 500 and I loved it despite its low 101 Hp rating it felt nimble and sped through downtown traffic pretty well. For a $15,500 car I would not expect that much. I think at possibly $21K the Abarth version would be pretty freaking sweet.

I'd take one in red please.
2009-Fiat-500-Abarth-695-Tributo-Ferrari-Front-Side-Picture.jpg

Ash_69

Why is everybody shitting on the way the Toyota gt86 looks? This is exactly as it was in the leaked shots. I think it looks great. Only thing I'm worried about is the poor torque figures.

If this is under GBP 20k, it will be mine on day 0.

AcridMeat

Banned
The rear of the Toyota looks horrible. The problem is it has huge proportions that the tires don't match. Doesn't even look like the wheels are part of the same car to be honest. Like there is some horrible body kit on i-oh wait.
:D

Burai

shitonmychest57
Went to the LA auto show and test drove the Fiat 500 and I loved it despite its low 101 Hp rating it felt nimble and sped through downtown traffic pretty well. For a $15,500 car I would not expect that much. I think at possibly $21K the Abarth version would be pretty freaking sweet.

I'd take one in red please.
2009-Fiat-500-Abarth-695-Tributo-Ferrari-Front-Side-Picture.jpg

Fiat's new engines are just fantastic. Great response, amazing mileage for a petrol. The Abarth 500 is a wonderful car. Dat exhaust note... I was so close to buying one, but I'm too tall for it. With the seat as low as I could get it, the roofline was still obscuring my view. Gutted.

I tried the compromise of a Punto Evo which has a much lower seating position, but the bucket seats are such that the non-adjustable head support only goes up as far as the base of my skull. Any sort of accident and I'd likely be looking at a broken neck.

So no Abarth for me.

cajunator

Banned
I'm no fan of the Fiat 500, but it is a shame that so far it is a sales disaster. Fiat is sitting on 1/2 a year of inventory that it is struggling to move. I think the car is just too small and too expensive to be a big seller in the US. The Fiesta struggles to sell as well. Small cars really just do not sell in the US for some reason.

I'm no fan of the Fiat 500, but it is a shame that so far it is a sales disaster. Fiat is sitting on 1/2 a year of inventory that it is struggling to move. I think the car is just too small and too expensive to be a big seller in the US. The Fiesta struggles to sell as well. Small cars really just do not sell in the US for some reason.

MINI laughs at that comment. Their sales are up 20%+ this year.

they wanted the 500 to be a hit with yuppies like the mini is, but they didn't market it well enough. It's a good car but I think it's too expensive for a car with a tiny engine like that.

Ovid

151lbs of torque...

AT 6600RPM!
Holy shit. Expect people to complain on end about how shitty this car's fuel efficiency is, cannot wait to see that awful torque curve on a dyno. This is the Mazda RX8 all over again...but uglier with an even cheaper interior. I've been saying it for a long time, this car is an epic fail from nearly every conceivable way - but I somehow doubt journos are going to shit on it, because they'd rather encourage Toyota to bring out product like this in hopes it'll pave the way for a powerful version.

Regardless, this is biblicaly slow and boring and ugly...it should've never had less than 240-250HP. Bottomline.

Agreed.

I don't get it with them. They always seem to have these "powerful looking" cars and put a Corolla or Camry engine in them. The last true powerful sports car they had was the Supra....15 years ago. Can't they make a 370Z competitor? Hell, even Hyundai has one.

It just looks like a Celica mated with a Hyundai. Ugly, imo.
Your right. It has a few more ponies than the GT-S.

Off topic but Daimler is getting rid of the Maybach...finally.

GuessWho

You guys are crazy, the fiat 500 is a complete joke. Test drove it, found some positives, but in general i was severely underwhelmed. the quality was so bad, arm rest was broken, and it was so sloooowww, anyways keeping my hopes up for the abarth.

aznpxdd

I am so disappointed with how the production version of FT86 turned out. Not that I expected everything from the concept to makes its way to the production, but it looked SO much meaner in the concept.

Not to mention this will be tagged with a shitty ass Scion badge in the US.

Zyzyxxz

MINI laughs at that comment. Their sales are up 20%+ this year.

Minis are more upmarket startinga t $26k, so they marketed themselves well to hipsters/yuppies.

In a country where we depend on our cars alot it is hard to sell a tiny compact. I wouldn't buy a new Abarth outright I would probably buy a used one a few years down the road for autocrossing or something.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Minis are more upmarket startinga t $26k, so they marketed themselves well to hipsters/yuppies.

In a country where we depend on our cars alot it is hard to sell a tiny compact. I wouldn't buy a new Abarth outright I would probably buy a used one a few years down the road for autocrossing or something.

Minis aren't all that small, relative to the Abarth. and a lot of their growth comes from things like the Countryman, which is fairly giant in real life.

I think the thing Americans are having a hard time adjusting to is the fact that small cars in Europe and Asia aren't by necessity cheap cars. there are all sorts of small cars, from luxurious to spartan to sporty.

Small cars here, thanks to embarassing flimsy disasters like the Ford Aspire, still have a long road to climb.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
Holy shit at that wheel gap. I could stick a soda can inbetween the fender and the tire.

stock suspension, probably shit anyways. always the first thing to go for me.

the plastic foglight casing looks rather tacky, but overall i like the front of it more than the subaru. the subaru wins in the rear.

I want to see the TRD version.

86 sounds awesome from the interior (the engine/exhaust note)

I guess I'm just bleh at its underwhelming stock power.

The fuck? MINIs start at 20,200 in the US...

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I need to see the 86 drift before any decisions can be made and somebody get Smokey Nagata on that ish ASAP!

Watch the second video posted above. Super dorifto action in it.

Though watching the car on Fuji's straights...man it's slow. LOL.

Agreed.

I don't get it with them. They always seem to have these "powerful looking" cars and put a Corolla or Camry engine in them. The last true powerful sports car they had was the Supra....15 years ago. Can't they make a 370Z competitor? Hell, even Hyundai has one.

Your right. It has a few more ponies than the GT-S.

Off topic but Daimler is getting rid of the Maybach...finally.

To be fair, the Corolla XRS and Celica GTS with the 2ZZ motor (and the legendary MR-S 2zz) are very quick with bolt-ons + tune.

The 2zz is a GREAT engine... they should've made a 2.4 stroked 2zz revving to 8k and stuck it in the FT86. It would've been monstrous.

Ovid

To be fair, the Corolla XRS and Celica GTS with the 2ZZ motor (and the legendary MR-S 2zz) are very quick with bolt-ons + tune.

The 2zz is a GREAT engine... they should've made a 2.4 stroked 2zz revving to 8k and stuck it in the FT86. It would've been monstrous.
I mean stock. They should make a 370Z competitor that is stock.

Also, from what I gather the GT 86 produces just a bit more HP than the GT-S. The Celica had about 186 HP. The GT 86 is about 196.

I mean stock. They should make a 370Z competitor that is stock.

Also, from what I gather the GT 86 produces just a bit more HP than the GT-S. The Celica had about 186 HP. The GT 86 is about 196.

Celica weighed 2500~ lbs. Corolla weighed 2600 lbs. They also put out that HP with a 1.8L engine...

The Subaru BRZ STI should be a 370z competitor stock...

Ovid

Celica weighed 2500~ lbs. Corolla weighed 2600 lbs. They also put out that HP with a 1.8L engine...

Yes, the Celica was extremely light (I had a GT...the one with the Corolla engine).

The question is why does the Subaru version have to be the direct competitor?

AlphaSnake

BRZ STi will not have any more power than this car (or at least not much). The revisements are all suspension and handling for the Subbie. They should really drop the STi from their car.

AlphaSnake

Well, they are calling it a Scion, tackiness is inherit in that brand.

So true.

A girl in my office got a Scion xD...and she's annoying as hell a lot of times about it. She's somehow convinced she has a sporty car and her co-worker is like "wow...that car is pretty fast". Before getting that shit can of a car, she asked me for advice and then ignored all of it - I told her the Scion is archaic and the interior is appalling and that for $17K she has tons of other options.

So when she bought the car 2 weeks ago, she came inside all happy and ranting about her new Scion and asked me if I wanted to see it, etc...to which I said "I'll pass". When she asked why, I reiterated what I had told her before she bought the car: "you already know that I think it's a piece of shit and ugly..."

Why would I change my tune now? Especially after she ignored all of my advice.

Zyzyxxz

The fuck? MINIs start at 20,200 in the US...

Nevermind you are right, I must have confused the Mini Clubman pricing.

I have a Celica GT and although it is underpowered it is so lightweight! It is a shame nobody gave the car a chance and the RSX stole the show due to the whole Integra bandwagon.

The GT-S is still a good project car if you can get it on the cheap, slap on a Greddy supercharger and a few bolt ons and it is good for autocross.

To be fair on Toyota, do you honestly think they couldn't have given the car more power if their target market demanded more? It's fair game if their NA bhp/litre ratio was appalling, but it isn't really.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"

I think the target market for this car wants the car to be slow so they can have delusions of making it fast.

I HAVE BRAIN DAMAGE!!!!1

04pDx.jpg

WTF...... I've been following this car since I found out about it in Gran Turismo and oh jeez what the fuck happened. The original concept is 1000X better looking. I think they improved the looks even more with the second concept, but this...I mean...I....wat.

I guess since I'm here you maybe you guys could help me. I'm looking into buying my first car but I don't really know much about them (spec/driving wise). I'm looking to spend no more than 15 grand. I would like it to be sporty so I was thinking a Civic si since they don't cost too much. I want a 350z but I'm not sure if 15 grand will get me a good one. Any opinions?

AlphaSnake

Wow dude, that's kinda mean.

Believe me, if you saw how she behaved about it...you'd react the same way. My two friends (who became my co-workers as well) and even my brother (who is the boss of the entire company) even agrees...she was annoying about it.

reilo

learning some important life lessons from magical Negroes
WTF...... I've been following this car since I found out about it in Gran Turismo and oh jeez what the fuck happened. The original concept is 1000X better looking. I think they improved the looks even more with the second concept, but this...I mean...I....wat.

I guess since I'm here you maybe you guys could help me. I'm looking into buying my first car but I don't really know much about them (spec/driving wise). I'm looking to spend no more than 15 grand. I would like it to be sporty so I was thinking a Civic si since they don't cost too much. I want a 350z but I'm not sure if 15 grand will get me a good one. Any opinions?
Why would you want to spend that much on a Civic Si? Get a used Mazdaspeed3 and call it a day if you want fast FWD fun.

Bad_Boy

time to take my meds
the rear should of looked like this
2012-Toyota-FT-86-Rear.jpg

kind of boring, but it looks clean. and so much better than it does now.

what the fuck happened.

i would have even taken this...
Toyota-FT-86-Rear-View.jpg

this just just looks like ass, no pun intended
toyota2013-gt86-back1.jpg

LOL. A Civic Si? Really? Dude, you're shooting way too hard for a first car. A 350z and even a failtastic Si are not good first cars. I am guessing you want to hoon around a bit... buy a beater first.

You said it yourself: you don't know much about cars but you want to drive something you can't handle? Take it slow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom