• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Banner Saga |OT| Here come the vikings!

Corto

n2dmIge.jpg

Developer: Stoic Studio

Release Date: January 14th for the first single player chapter of a projected epic trilogy (Banner Saga: Factions the multiplayer F2P component already released and available on Steam)

Platforms: Windows/Mac

Price: 20% special release date rebate 19.99$/15.19£/18.39€

Steam buy link
Gamersgate buy link
Gamestop buy link (This store doesn't have the 20% sale active)
GameFly buy link (apply for additional 25% discount with code GFDJAN25)
There is a planned DRM free version release for GOG and Desura. No live sale links as of now though.

WHAT IS THE BANNER SAGA?

The Banner Saga is an epic role-playing game inspired by Viking legend. Hand-painted landscapes portray a world eerily suspended in perpetual twilight. Cities and towns begin to crumble into chaos. Heroes abandon their hearths and homes to traverse the snowy countryside, gaining allies along the way to help battle a strange, new threat.

Decisions have consequences; wise choices must be made when conversing with possible allies during intricately crafted dialogues. Turn-based strategy brings tactical challenge in hand-animated battle sequences. With visuals evocative of the golden age of animation, The Banner Saga brings skillfuly crafted art, story and strategy to gamers waiting to re-experience classic adventures and tactics.

FEATURES

Player choice that drives your narrative: Every decision you make in travel, conversation and combat has a meaningful effect on the outcome as your story unfolds.
Over 25 playable characters from 2 different races, human and Varl (horned giants) Embark on your epic journey with a variety of characters from 7 different classes, each with unique abilities and upgrade options to fit your play style.

Strategic combat with consequences: Victory or defeat and even the permanent loss of a character depends on which characters you choose to take into battle and what tactics you employ while in combat.
The journey is half the battle Your role in building and managing your caravan as you travel the vast frozen landscape is critical to not only your own survival but the survival of an entire civilization.

An epic Viking saga brought to life in 2D glory: Beautifully hand drawn combat sequences and animations, accompanied by an evocative score from Grammy-nominated composer Austin Wintory, will immerse you into a fantasy realm based on Norse mythology.

Multiplayer Combat Enhanced: Sharpen your combat skills in the free to play “Factions” multiplayer game. As you play through the single player experience you’ll also unlock new characters to use in multiplayer.

REVIEWS

Eurogamer
Rockpapershotgun

The Banner Saga NeoGAF Review thread (easier to link to Nirolak's thread with all the links and scores in the OP)

MEDIA

Youtube Launch Trailer

Grammy nominated Composer Austin Wintory (of Journey, Monaco fame) Official Soundtrack on BANDCAMP 8$

Screenshots:

Wallpapers and High Resolution Screenshot (click image for larger versions):

LuchaShaq

Banned
Wasn't into the multiplayer portion but I pre ordered the single player. The art is fucking gorgeous.

Oregon trail with vikings and strategy rpg combat? Fuck yes

Lach

Was my first Kickstarter-Pledge. Can't wait to play it!

Already got my soundtrack (Austin Wintory) and it's very atmospheric!

rybrad

This game was one of the first games I Kickstarted, I really hope it turns out well. I tried out Factions and just wasn't really into it, mostly because I am not a big MP guy.

Alric

Such a beautiful game, I played a little bit of the multiplayer and look forward to playing the SP campaign. Really some top notch hand drawn animation though.

Love me some turn-based tactics, and the presentation of this game is gorgeous, but I was pretty disappointed in the MP game. Balancing was pretty terrible and the vast majority of matches ended in a stalemate.

I'm hoping the single-player campaign can avoid that.

Fox318

Love me some turn-based tactics, and the presentation of this game is gorgeous, but I was pretty disappointed in the MP game. Balancing was pretty terrible and the vast majority of matches ended in a stalemate.

I'm hoping the single-player campaign can avoid that.
To be fair wasn't the multiplayer released so they could balance it?

Ketch

Got it preloaded already. I love me some turn based strategy RPG.

The art reminds me of the old Disney Robin Hood cartoon.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I wonder if this game would chug on a not-current Mac Mini, since that's my only desktop.

Corto

Sorry for the Early Access/WIP kind of OT got to keep current with the times we live in I guess hehehe but I added a few more info and embellishments to the OP.

Just look at that art! Gorgeous. I'll add some videos about combat and the soundtrack soon(ish). Stay tuned!

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
What's the processor speed? An intel HD 3000 integrated graphics card or higher should be fine for the graphics.
Looks like 2.3ghz i5 and Intel HD 3000.

But even a 2D game like Reis started chugging on it, I'm worried.

Zeliard

Oh cool, The Banner Saga is only $15 on Gamefly and it comes with the pre-order bonus

EDIT: Use the 25% GFDJAN25 to make it $15

The game looks quite fun, but I'm debating if I should spend the money on it

This is a great deal. Had to jump on it.

I'm hoping for solid tactical combat, but I'm particularly intrigued by the very positive reception the game's storyline and player choice element have received. And the Eyvind Earle-inspired art is certainly very attractive.

Corto

This is a great deal. Had to jump on it.

I'm hoping for solid tactical combat, but I'm particularly intrigued by the very positive reception the game's storyline and player choice element have received. And the Eyvind Earle-inspired art is certainly very attractive.

A King of Dragon Pass for the modern times!

Arkanius

This game looks gorgeous and it is one of my Kickstarter shames that I didn't back it when I had the chance.

(Kickstarting games was still new and the video they showed didn't give me much hope)

llamarawk

12 minutes now. Just got the 5 dollar off preorder and am loading. This game looks like a refreshing as fuck change of pace. Don't know any other title that looks like this right now.

yamo

Pre-purchased and pre-loaded, my body is ready. I really hope there is some decent character progression during the campaign or I will be incredibly disappointed!

The save system sounds kinda horrible though, as I like to start over battles if I don't do well enough or a character dies.

Copy pasta from the development thread as I suppose few people will read it once the OT is up!

12 minutes now. Just got the 5 dollar off preorder and am loading. This game looks like a refreshing as fuck change of pace. Don't know any other title that looks like this right now.

Yeah, not many great SRPGs with an actual story on the PC. Reviews looking good so far, i'm hyped!

Pulled the trigger just moments ago as I'm a sucker for strategy RPGs. I hope I don't regret this $20 purchase. Guess I'll find out tonight.

Just picked this up from Gamefly with 25% coupon, hope it's good! Thanks for the heads up.

I promised myself I would stop buying games on a whim. Guess I failed. There are so few PC SRPGs I just couldn't help myself.

Top Bottom