• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Banner Saga |OT| Here come the vikings!

Victrix

*beard*
This is pissing me off, I still don't have my key, the website is borked for finishing registration of my account, and emailing them got a 'use the website, its fine now!' response.

Haunted

I backed this, and wow, I need to grab it! I hope people enjoy the crest I made, I worked really hard on it:
heraldry_2765.png

Any other GAFers make crests?
That looks very nice.

Definitely something that wouldn't look out of place with the rest of the game's art and design, and given its high quality across the board in this game, that's not small praise.

RK9039

When do the difficulty spikes start hitting? Those are the only real negatives I hear of, and it's a negative I hate.

I think towards the end of the game, I heard it gets really hard in the last hour of the game. I'm still on chapter 3 and everything has been manageable so far.

Welp I just pulled the trigger, saw a video and the art and animations sold me right away, I have a ton of games to finish, my backlog is piling up and I just bought this game.
I need to exercise some self control. gonna try to play it asap

Tenck

When a character falls, they temporarily lose str/hp but get it back if you rest.

Thanks for that. I try not to restart on stuff like this, but I want to fully enjoy the story with as many characters as I can. This saves me a bit of frustration trying to come up with complicated strategies.

llamarawk

Bought this for the art alone...is this the closest we'll get to fire emblem on PC?

I've only played FEA and at chapter 3 in BS, but so far I've found them to be pretty different. They have unique battle systems, completely different graphics/art and Banner Saga has more of an open story.

Blizzard

Banned
I haven't started the game yet.

However, I thought someone was saying the game can permanently kill off (unspecific mechanic spoiler)
important characters
depending on what you do. Is that purely plot decision related and not falling-in-battle related, then?

Just got this game after reading up on the impressions in this thread.

It hasn't disappointed at all. I find the animated character art to be the most fantastic part of the package, and coupled with the amazing OST, it's just been pure gaming bliss so far.

Had a quick look at the files in the game's directory, and I notice that it's using Adobe AIR? Doesn't quite look like it at all, in fact the previous game I've played using it (Defender's Quest, a great game in it's own right.) doesn't even look half as good as this game.

The first time you're introduced to Alette and her dad is probably one of those awesome graphical moments in the game.

The art also seems to scale well to 1080p, which is amazing.

Alric

I backed this, and wow, I need to grab it! I hope people enjoy the crest I made, I worked really hard on it:
heraldry_2765.png

Any other GAFers make crests?

Really cool, is there a template or location you can upload custom crests to? I used to make my crests for when I played Warhammer 40k rts and loved to make one for Banner Saga too.

Tenck

Just got this game after reading up on the impressions in this thread.

It hasn't disappointed at all. I find the animated character art to be the most fantastic part of the package, and coupled with the amazing OST, it's just been pure gaming bliss so far.

Had a quick look at the files in the game's directory, and I notice that it's using Adobe AIR? Doesn't quite look like it at all, in fact the previous game I've played using it (Defender's Quest, a great game in it's own right.) doesn't even look half as good as this game.

The first time you're introduced to Alette and her dad is probably one of those awesome graphical moments in the game.

The art also seems to scale well to 1080p, which is amazing.

Yup Adobe AIR. It's not playing nice with Steam though :(

SJRB

Gold Member
When I try to redeem the voucher it tells me "access denied". Is it a bug or am I not allowed to use it since I'm in france?

Edit: Ok now it works but it tells me the voucher can't be used on this website :lol:

Edit2: Ok it's all good thanks!

I'm having the same problem, how did you fix it?

"Can't be used on this website", what is this nonsense?

Madouu

Game looks beautiful on my TV, thank you based xpadder. Story is interesting even though the choices don't seem to carry as much weight as I would have hoped (the classic you have three choices but all give pretty much the same result).

Still, great game so far.

studyguy

Played it for a few hours last night, fantastic stuff.
Loved King of Dragon Pass so this is right up my alley, the combat is rather simplistic, but it's fine.

Actually reminds me a ton of Utawarerumono in terms of the story really pushing over the gameplay. Fun stuff.

utawarerumono-2-ss-1.jpg

Haunted

Wow, this game is not afraid to kill off absolutely key/main characters if you make poor choices.

Excellent!

Saige

I must do better.
Just hit chapter three and so far really enjoying it. Gorgeous art, interesting world, and satisfying combat.

This and Broken Age hitting on the same day has me hyped for my other kickstarter games.

Alastor3

Game looks beautiful on my TV, thank you based xpadder. Story is interesting even though the choices don't seem to carry as much weight as I would have hoped (the classic you have three choices but all give pretty much the same result).

oh just you wait!

BlazeDSM

Great game! I just started it today and it reminded me of the fun I had with Shining Force 2 (rpg, for Genesis). Anyways, can't wait to keep playing!

RK9039

Wait till you have to make tough choices lol. I think the big one so far was at the end of chapter 2
outside the locked City gates

Hmm, I lost an important varl in my 3rd battle - and then a young spearman was tragically killed in a 'cut-scene' after the 4th.

Maybesew

Does this game have a story mode that can be considered "completed?" I'm debating whether or not to play it, but I am currently OCD about my backlog.

Enduin

No bald cap? Lies!
Does this game have a story mode that can be considered "completed?" I'm debating whether or not to play it, but I am currently OCD about my backlog.

Haven't finished, but since they want to deliver a Part 2 and Part 3 I would say not likely in the grand scheme of things.

Lingxor

This game is incredible.

There are some minor gaps in the presentation that could have been filled with a bigger budget/team, but I'm just glad that it exists. There's a definite old-Bioware vibe to it.

AWintory

Neo Member

The game is the first of a trilogy. It ends with a real ending, in my obviously somewhat biased opinion, but with a clear path to the sequels. Think Star Wars or FOTR. This game ends in a similar manner.

RK9039

When I was playing as Vral (I think that's what the horned beasts are called), and one of the guys I let die was next in line for the throne. I haven't seen him ever again.

Yeah he dies during a cutscene though, you can't do anything about that one. You can't even use him during battles, but you can use his brother
Hakon? who then takes over.

Is it permanent or not?

The battle deaths aren't permanent, they're just injured if they get killed and need to be rested. But during the dialogue and the choices you make some characters can be killed off, although that hasn't happened to me yet other than, what I'm assuming, was a scripted death of one particular character on my team.

It has a pretty defined and satisfying ending, but it's clear that there is a lot more to the story yet to be told. Pretty standard for being part of a trilogy I'd say.

Vitor711

Wow, this game is not afraid to kill off absolutely key/main characters if you make poor choices.

Excellent!

I know, right?! Still not sure what's my fault and what's scripted but man, it makes every fight super tense.

Just managed to convince a friend on Steam to buy it because of that :) Told him it was a cross between Game of Thrones and X-Com and he couldn't resist.

Loving it so far. That world combined with that art is just everything I wanted out of this.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
Holy shit at this game. Holy shit.

Just played for an hour when all I wanted was to check the intro out. So beautiful and fun. Hopefully this goes beyond first impressions.

vpance

So dying in combat has no effect on the story other than having to rest up your injured guys for longer?

Darksol

How's everyone liking this so far? Reviews seem to be great. I've got it downloading now.

Final Fantasy Tactics and Ogre Tactics are two of my favourite TRPGs. Will I enjoy this too?

Either way, I can't wait to start playing.

Victrix

*beard*
The presumably final fight against
The Bellower
is utter bullshit. Hope you didn't pick the wrong option earlier, and leveled the right party members!

Alastor3

How's everyone liking this so far? Reviews seem to be great. I've got it downloading now.

Final Fantasy Tactics and Ogre Tactics are two of my favourite TRPGs. Will I enjoy this too?

Either way, I can't wait to start playing.

more simplistic but still good, lots of class and the story and atmosphere is awesome

Maybesew

So I got started tonight and played a couple of hours. Is there any way to go back and play battles that you lost? It seems like that would be the best way to learn and get better, but the game just motors on

Blizzard

Banned
Is there controller support? nothing is listed on store page.
Not according to that negative player rating on the metacritic page:

Great tactical game.
4 stars because:
* cannot skip cut scenes
* cannot skip minute long walking animations - do the devs really think we want to watch them over and over and over and over again?
* no controller support
* half baked keyboard support
* fewer game and video options than on a console

I haven't seen many people complaining about unskippable cutscenes and walking animations, but I imagine they could get repetitive if you have to watch them multiple times.

SupaNaab

Any idea if I will ever be able to purchase the Tryggvi DLC at a later date? I assume he is a sort of "unique art" character? Whether or not he is vital to the game, I want the option.

Top Bottom