• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best Zelda dungeon according to GAF

SantaC

Hey, what do you think is the best (until now) Zelda dungeon ever designed?

Write down 1 dungeon you thought was complex, but still enjoyable.

Here is my vote:

Forest Temple - OoT

The forest temple had a challenging design and a psychedelic soundtrack that freaked you out. On top of that the Phantom Ganon boss was really cool.

Poll closed.

AND THE WINNER IS STONE TOWER FROM ZELDA MM

MM - Stone Tower 20 - GAF Best Zelda dungeon
OoT - Forest Temple 19
LA- Eagle Tower 6
OoT - Water Temple 6
OoT - Spirit temple 6
WW - Earth Temple 3
WW - Tower of the Gods 2
Link to the Past - Turtle Rock 2
Lttp - The Gargoyle's Domain 1
OoA - Mermaid's Cave 1
Zelda 2 - Great Palace 1
MM - Great Bay. 1
Link to the Past - Hyrule Castle 1
LttP - ice dungeon 1
Zelda - Level 8 1

Ranger X

Water Temple ( OOT )

the twists and tricks with the water, the iron boots (or whatever they were called) was genuine. The Fire Temple is extremely well designed too and it's a close second place to me.

epmode

if you weren't forced to shift to a menu screen >100 times over the course of the dungeon, the water temple would be up there for me, too. beautiful place, that.

Beezy

Why do people consider OoT Water Temple to be hard? I was in either 6th or 7th grade when the game came out and I had no problems with the Water Temple or Shadow Link.

Xizk

Buggy Loop said:
Link's awakening eagle tower, what a nightmare that puzzle was back then and what an awesome setting and MUSIC! damn i loved that music

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/gameboy/index-classic.html

Level 7 - Eagle Tower

:D

Oh and face shrine aswell.

Eagle tower and Face shrine from link's awakening >> any other zelda dungeon :)

IAWTP

Eagle Tower was the one with the skeleton guy right? One of my fondest memories of Link's awakening was that Temple. It was so awesome. If only Nintendo could remake Link's awakening like they did with Metroid Zero Mission.

Beezy

I don't remember exactly how the dungeons in Majora's Mask were, but I'm sure that my favorite dungeon is in that game.

Kola

Yes, the Forest Temple in OoT was one of the best. But it's a tough fight with the Water Temple (OoT) and the Stone Tower in Mayora's Mask. I also liked Dodongos Cavern.

So, if you wanna count votes: Forest Temple.

beerbelly

Banned
I can't decide..either Spirit Temple, Forest Temple or that freakish mini level down in the well in Oot.

edit: Fine.. the Spirit temple then... I loved using the reflective shield for the puzzles and charging it for the boss...

Stone Tower in Majora's Mask, followed by the Sword and Shield dungeon in Oracle of Seasons and the Forest Dungeon in Wind Waker.

snapty00

Banned
Beezy said:
Why do people consider OoT Water Temple to be hard? I was in either 6th or 7th grade when the game came out and I had no problems with the Water Temple or Shadow Link.
Haha, young'en.

The dungeon itself wasn't difficult to me. My problem was that I got so disoriented. To me, even with the map, I would wind up going into the same hallways over and over without realizing it.

Eric-GCA

Banned
I havent played Majora's Mask in a while so I forgot most of its dungeons.

But OOT's Forest Temple still holds a special place in my heart. What with its dark atmosphere, freaky music, and twisted (literally) hallways.

I quite liked the dungeons in WW especially Tower of the Gods and Wind Temple.

I haven't played MM all the way through as I just really get *into* it, but I probably should being that I consider myself a fan of the series at this point.

evil ways

Beezy said:

Hard no, but boring and tedious, yes.

I just don't like the repetitive backtracking of that dungeon, in fact it was so boring it nearly drove me to sleep the first time I played it on N64.

Beezy

I think I'll give my vote to the Stone Tower in Majora's Mask too since I don't know the names of the others.

Buggy Loop said:
Link's awakening eagle tower, what a nightmare that puzzle was back then and what an awesome setting and MUSIC! damn i loved that music

http://www.vgmusic.com/music/console/nintendo/gameboy/index-classic.html

Level 7 - Eagle Tower

:D

Oh and face shrine aswell.

Eagle tower and Face shrine from link's awakening >> any other zelda dungeon :)

IAWTP

The Pillar puzzle was brutal to figure out the first time around, and that was followed up with a nasty 2D boss.

Hardest Temple:

Water Temple ~ OOT

1. Dark Link
2. Drowning Feeling
3. Extremely lost
4. Hidden key (floor hidden behind the chest ~as if) :lol

My personal Favorite Temple:

Forest Temple ~ OOT

1. Freaky music
2. Spectacular atmosphere
3. Twisted hallway
4. Spooky Phantom Ganon painting

It has to be Stone Tower in Majora's Mask. It absolutely floored me the first time through, and even after playing it many times, I'm still in awe of it. Hats off to the level designer, must havedriven him crazy.

My favorite was the Great Ocean (is that the name?) temple from Majora's Mask. It's one giant, interlocking puzzle and it feels so awesome as you slowly unravel it. Plus, it teaches you to shoot ice arrows into the water for platforms and other cool stuff. And it has a lot of great places to use the Zora mask.

Hooker

Tower of the Gods BY FAR!!! (WW)

The atmosphere is just king there. When going inside seeing how everything is black and white. The link statue, the 8 sages in the windows behind the master sword, everything coming to life/colour, just beautiful!!

Beezy

evil ways said:
Hard no, but boring and tedious, yes.

I just don't like the repetitive backtracking of that dungeon, in fact it was so boring it nearly drove me to sleep the first time I played it on N64.

Heh. This is probably true, but back then I couldn't get enough of that game.

SantaC

you guys should watch a speedrun video of OoT. The guy did the water temple in like 30 minutes. amazing.

Ramirez

Tough choice...I'll go with the Spirit Temple in OoT...I liked how you had to go there as a child and as an adult.

Great King Bowser

Property of Kaz Harai
Forest Temple.

First dark and foreboding dungeon in Ocarina of Time, and reflected the general change in tone of the game. Simply awesome.

MoxManiac

Alright, I understand that the Water Temple could be really annoying, especially with the item switching, but you guys have to admit, it was a really clever, impressive design.

The water temple in OoT is probably a "hate it or love it" dungeon, but it was a great gaming experience nonetheless.
I even know someone who did not finish the game because of this temple.

SantaC

Ok here is an update in the votes:

GAF FAV ZELDA DUNGEON SO FAR

OoT - Forest Temple 7
MM - Stone Tower 6
LA- Eagle Tower 4
OoT - Water Temple 3
OoT - Spirit temple 2
WW - Tower of the Gods 2
WW - Earth Temple 1
Lttp - The Gargoyle's Domain 1
OoA - Mermaid's Cave 1
Zelda 2 - Great Palace 1
MM - Great Bay. 1

Stone tower and Forest temple in a fight :D

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
My vote:
Stone Temple Tower / Inverted Stone Temple Tower (Majora's Mask)

Honorable mentions:
Forest Temple (Ocarina of Time)
Spirit Temple (Ocarina of Time)
Shadow Temple (Ocarina of Time)
Earth Temple (Wind Waker)
Dragonroost Dungeon (Wind Waker)

Top Bottom