• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The best Zelda dungeon according to GAF

Sriram

Is Minish cap quite easy the whole way through? Also how long is it and how many dungeons are there?

MrPing: The extreme menu usage in the water temple was damn annoying. But the actual dungeon design was still great anyway.

Sriram said:
Is Minish cap quite easy the whole way through? Also how long is it and how many dungeons are there?

MrPing: The extreme menu usage in the water temple was damn annoying. But the actual dungeon design was still great anyway.

SantaCruzer wrote an excellent impressions thread. Should be 1-4 pages back

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Stone Tower Temple takes the lead!!

I enjoyed the Water Temple too. The design was brilliant, the only thing that marred the experience was the constant menu access.

Kon Tiki

Banned
Sriram said:

I said 6, althought I think I am forgetting 1(maybe 2 small ones). The main udungeons are huge. The game is shorter than OAS, manly due to less mindbusting puzzles (AOS had some hard puzzles). Minish Cap does however have more sidequests than OAS, nothing as deep as the childnaming. You can get upgrades to weapons that you normal do not need,
mirror sheild, light arrows

Socreges

Banned
Forest Temple - the environment was fantastic. the end boss was fantastic. the design itself was mostly ace, though the Stone Tower edges it out in that respect

Azih

:D Ok I admit it, the damn key underneath the floor screwed me in the Water Temple. Crazy Nintendo.

Anyway there's a ton of dungeons I really like, but I'm going to say
Forest Temple: OOT

just to keep the fight interesting. I really liked the atmosphere there. The Twisted Hallways were a stroke of genius.

Other mentions. Tower of the Gods, Swamp dungeon, Ice dungeon (dungeons 5/6 from LttP).

Best scene in a Zelda game has to go to the Shadow Link room in Ocarina though. Damn, the actual design of the room itself is wierd to the max, completely empty except for a few islands in the middle and a compltely bare tree, completely reflective water and just the right amount of fog to make it look like the room is endless, especially when the two doors at the ends are hidden. You walk into the room and are disoriented right away, run over the tree island to get to the other end, feel something is odd when you get close to the other door, realize YOUR REFLECTION IS MISSING, turn around and there's Shadow Link, waiting for you under the tree.

watertemple_lake.jpg
man the game played me just the way it wanted to the first time I walked into that room.

Actually when I think about it, I bet this was the first time Aonuma made his mark on a Zelda game. All the games he's headed have been full of cool/wierd things like this... the castle frozen in time in Wind Waker, the moon in Majora's Mask.

SantaC

Sriram said:

Well I haven't beat the game yet, but I am pretty close.

The last Boss I beat was totally awesome and quite difficult. It was a very different fight.

It's the boss in the Wind Palace. Totally awesome that you get to fight him while you fly

hirokazu

...The Water Temple in OoT confused the hell out of me when i first played it, but now its quite straight-forward.

Anyhow, i think MM had the craziest dungeons, so i'm gonna go with popular opinion and go with that stone one from MM, i really liked how it went upside down and all.

That said, if only MM was more pick-up'n'play friendly, there's simply too many tasks to get done, i've never been able to play through it a second time, though i wish i could just go through its dungeons again.

Other nice dungeons of note, IMO, would be Eagle Tower from LA, and i also liked the one in the Forest in Link to the Past with multiple entrances and stuff. The later dungeons in Wind Waker were fun too.

EDIT: yeah, the Shadow Link room in OoT rocked, i loved how they disguised the room in an illusion that you were in an endless swamp.

AniHawk

Azih said:
Actually when I think about it, I bet this was the first time Aonuma made his mark on a Zelda game. All the games he's headed have been full of cool/wierd things like this... the castle frozen in time in Wind Waker, the moon in Majora's Mask.

Even though he's a producer, I can't wait to see his influences on the next Zelda game. I've loved his contributions to every Zelda thus far.

Kon Tiki

Banned
I wish I had a good N64 controller, all my sticks are wore making it so I can not sneak. I really want to play MM again. I missed out on the Bonus disc for GCN. :(

SantaC

AniHawk said:
Even though he's a producer, I can't wait to see his influences on the next Zelda game. I've loved his contributions to every Zelda thus far.

And he has got alot of reqognition as well. Lots of Interviewers from last E3 wanted to speak with Aonuma about the new Zelda. Usually they just interview Miyamoto about it.

Aonuma spoke on GDC 2004 as well.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know a single person (in the real world) who didn't stop playing OoT for MONTHS at the Water Temple. That's how bad that dungeon was. Amusingly the rest of the game after the Water Temple is WAAAAAAY better than the game was prior to the Water Temple.

My roommate my freshman year of college went a year and a half before he finally picked it up again and beat the game. I personally went 6 months. Another one of my friends never played the game again.

Oh yeah, I'm giving my vote to Turtle Rock from ALttP.

Mejilan

Good lord, I played through OoT at least a dozen times since it came out. Everytime I pick it back up, I cannot put it down.

Water Temple was tough, yes, the first two or three times, but it never took me more than 2 or 3 hours to beat, initially. The remixed Water Temple in Master Quest through me for a loop a few times, however.

SantaC

MetatronM said:
I don't know a single person (in the real world) who didn't stop playing OoT for MONTHS at the Water Temple. That's how bad that dungeon was. Amusingly the rest of the game after the Water Temple is WAAAAAAY better than the game was prior to the Water Temple.

My roommate my freshman year of college went a year and a half before he finally picked it up again and beat the game. I personally went 6 months. Another one of my friends never played the game again.

Oh yeah, I'm giving my vote to Turtle Rock from ALttP.

atleast OoT felt complex and somewhat difficult compared to Wind Waker.

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
SantaCruZer said:
atleast OoT felt complex and somewhat difficult compared to Wind Waker.
I have no argument there. And in the end, those last areas and segments of OoT were awesome, so I'm not knocking the whole game or anything. Though I do love the aesthetic, feel, and atmosphere of Wind Waker much, much, much more than OoT. If it were even remotely challenging at all, then I would consider Wind Waker to be VASTLY superior. Unfortunately, however, I probably could have beaten the game one-handed, which certainly does drop it down a peg or two. :D

AniHawk

MetatronM said:

The Water Temple was frustrating as hell, but it was very rewarding when you beat it. The fight with Shadow Link brought it up a notch as well. MQ version was a lot easier, though. I couldn't beat OoT's WT without skipping a door that needed a small key.

Definatly OOT - SPIRIT TEMPLE! I remember playing that game and the Spirit Temple was the one thing that stuck out about the game to me the most... for some reason!

Yeah Spirit Temple was awesome, probably my second favorite dungeon in OoT, the kid/adult twist in it was genius and touching. Not to mention all the light and mirrors.

Eagle Tower for me, too. I remember the first time I played it I spent days wandering around, trying to figure out a way up to the fourth floor, until I realized
that big ball could actually be used for something! And even on subsequent playthroughs, it's still a decent challenge to figure how to get the ball through all the different floors to hit each pillar.

As a runner-up, I'd have to pick the Shadow Temple from OoT. I guess that's kind of an unusual choice, but I really liked that one! I loved
the boat ride

En-ou

Beezy said:
BTW, En-ou where are you getting these mp3's from?
Zelda OSTs
there you go ^__^

and yes Koji Kondo is a genious, no doubts there. i'm really excited for the new Zelda, it looks more like OOT and MM and not as lighthearted as WW. i expect some kick ass temples. i hope nintendo doesnt skimp on the number of temples either. i want atleast 6 main temples along with atleast 6 dungeons of deku tree/dodongo's cavern size. and how about a huge temple where you need to take epona inside as well. nyaaaaaaaaa, cant wait!!

btw, a friend of mine who is a scaredy cat; when he played the shadow temple, the muslim chants scared the hell outta him and he had nightmares of it and those shadow hands dropping from the ceiling. he couldnt finish OOT. :lol

olimario

Banned
MY TOP TEMPLES
(OOT) Forest Temple
(TWW) Forbidden Forest
(ALTTP) Turtle Rock

All of the console Zelda games since ALTTP have been beautiful.

Mejilan

Chrono said:
uh, muslim chants in OOT?

The music was modified in later versions. I believe there were three versions of the game on the N64.

Original gold cart was 1.0.

Early gray cart was 1.1 and had some minor bug fixes.

Later (PC?) gray cart was 1.2 and fixed more bugs, removed the Arabic chant from the Fire Temple song, and changed the color of the blood that Ganondorf coughs when he's defeated (in the tower) from red to green.

Something like that.

lexi

Banned
I got a PAL Gold Cart, and Ganon coughs up Green Blood. Ripped.

Also, thanks to a Religous Right backlash, Nintendo removed references to Allah in the game, even though Allah simply translates to God.

Mejilan

I've got an early gray US cart with red blood, and later wound up picking up gold US cart, also with red blood, obviously.

I also own OoT on the GCN. I guess you can call that version 1.3, as it is based off 1.2 (green blood, modified song) but includes some tweaks to make it more GCN friendly (L Targetting, redone button icons, etc.)

Beezy

En-ou said:
Zelda OSTs
there you go ^__^

and yes Koji Kondo is a genious, no doubts there. i'm really excited for the new Zelda, it looks more like OOT and MM and not as lighthearted as WW. i expect some kick ass temples. i hope nintendo doesnt skimp on the number of temples either. i want atleast 6 main temples along with atleast 6 dungeons of deku tree/dodongo's cavern size. and how about a huge temple where you need to take epona inside as well. nyaaaaaaaaa, cant wait!!

btw, a friend of mine who is a scaredy cat; when he played the shadow temple, the muslim chants scared the hell outta him and he had nightmares of it and those shadow hands dropping from the ceiling. he couldnt finish OOT. :lol

Thanks man. I expect some great temples from the new Zelda too, especially since they're not rushing for any reason like the did with Wind Waker. They should 3 small dungeons at first and then 6 main dungeons like in LttP and OoT. BTW, having an Epona dungeon would be crazy.

Mejilan

Oni Link was fun, if overpowered. But Shadow Link, from the moment he shows up in the Water Temple, just oozes style. Especially in how he can defeat most of your sword attacks. Awesome.

Doogdogg

adelgary said:

Looks awesome in hi-res. (GC version)

Favorite dungeom is Ganon Tower in ATTP. Too long ago, but was this at the top of Death Mountain in the Dark World? Or was it some Pyrimid where you dropped in at the top or something. Sorry, but it's been like 10 years.

Dark Dragon said:
Favorite dungeom is Ganon Tower in ATTP. Too long ago, but was this at the top of Death Mountain in the Dark World? Or was it some Pyrimid where you dropped in at the top or something. Sorry, but it's been like 10 years.

Ganon's tower was at the top of Death Mountain. But after you beat that, Ganon turned into a bat and escaped to the pyramid in the center of the map (where you first come into the Dark World). He crashes through the top of the pyramid and makes a hole. The last battle you reached just by dropping down through that hole - there was no dungeon, just the last fight. The tower was the last actual dungeon.

hirokazu

Mejilan said:
The music was modified in later versions. I believe there were three versions of the game on the N64.

Original gold cart was 1.0.

Early gray cart was 1.1 and had some minor bug fixes.

Later (PC?) gray cart was 1.2 and fixed more bugs, removed the Arabic chant from the Fire Temple song, and changed the color of the blood that Ganondorf coughs when he's defeated (in the tower) from red to green.

Something like that.

Yes, Europe got version 1.2 from the get-go, no chants in the Forest Temple, and Ganondorf always coughed up green blood. That said, every single PAL copy came on a gold cart, including the Player's Choice version, so there was nothing special about buying it early here.

All the GC versions are based on the N64 version 1.2...

Mejilan

hirokazu said:
All the GC versions are based on the N64 version 1.2...

Yeah, I know. Beating Master Quest on the Cube was the first time I even learned about the modified music, and the first time I saw the green blood. A BIG "wtf" moment, those were. I actually hooked up my N64 (dug out from my closet) and rebeat OoT 64 just to chech that I wasn't crazy for expecting red blood.

Screenboy

Zelda: OOT is definatly my favourite game of all time, and I think it always will be (hopefully not Nintendo....).

Spirit Temple in OOT being my fave, Stone Tower/Great Bay Temple being the most complex.

Fuck You Gyrorg!

-SB

Top Bottom