• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Easy_D

never left the stone age
God damn. Hype levels critical. Can't wait to play this (with a controller and a smooth 60 fps at that!)

Cyrus_Saren

The discount for having the original only works for preordering it? It'll go away when it unlocks? If so, that sucks. I don't have the money to get it right now...

Jarsonot

Great OT. Fantastic.

Really looking forward to this, heard great things and it seems right up my alley. Hopefully can get the wife into it. =)

Rogue like twin stick shooting dungeon crawler with tons of weapon variety and unlocks? Yes please.

Hesemonni

Banned
Hopefully the music will eventually grow on me. I'm not feeling it quite yet, which is a shame because the first one had a brilliant soundtrack.

SerTapTap

It's probably a little bit of both. Get some pre-release hype going and adhere to their contract with Sony.

Steam does allow developers to push the game at any time through the registry. It's actually a myth that Valve requires games to release update at 10 AM Pacific, that just seems to be the default unlock time shown on the page if developers don't configure it correctly.

Even if they could unlock it earlier, the game would be done significantly in advance and pre-release hype streams would have similar effects. Specific unlock time is probably to sync releases, but I bet they'd have something to hype up the release anyway, especially since Steam has preorders (indie devs generally don't want attention until players are able to A) play the game or B) buy the game, but often they're one and the same due to no preorders)

Indie has to plan and build hype similar to AAA releases, just with less budget and generally a much tighter hype window since you can't count on news articles for a week+ on either side of release, unlike your ACs and CoDs.

Hopefully the music will eventually grow on me. I'm not feeling it quite yet, which is a shame because the first one had a brilliant soundtrack.

Music is different too?! Hrm. Bought the OST of the first, really liked it

Grief.exe

The game seems overall easier to me. The items are better, with a boss pool weighted more towards damaging items.

Every run I have seen so far is a steam roll.

Obviously this could just be circumstantial, but just my initial impressions.

Forgot to say, brilliant OT!

The game seems overall easier to me. The items are better, with a boss pool weighted more towards damaging items.

Not sure about the other streams, but I know Cobalt is insanely good at the original one, so him steamrolling through runs on this one doesn't surprise me.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016

Well, to be fair, they haven't unlocked "Everything is Terrible" yet. Also, I saw the Mom's Heart fight (which no one has gotten to yet) on the Twin Galaxies stream. Definitely much harder. I'm thinking the early game might be easier with the late game becoming pretty difficult. Plus, there's always that 12 heart hard cap.

theytookourjobz

To be fair, the guys streaming the game right now have all played for 1000+ hours.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
The Vita version is on PS+ too? Wow this is like, the perfect game to play on the go.

BearPawB

Banned
Well, to be fair, they haven't unlocked "Everything is Terrible" yet. Also, I saw the Mom's Heart fight (which no one has gotten to yet) on the Twin Galaxies stream. Definitely much harder. I'm thinking the early game might be easier with the late game becoming pretty difficult. Plus, there's always that 12 heart hard cap.

woah wait theres a hard cap now?
No infinite off screen hearts?
wow

Archaix

Drunky McMurder

Cobalt once completed more than 500 consecutive games of the original beating at least Mom's Heart every time.

His success is not necessarily an indication that the game is easier.

zsswimmer

Fuck I thought this was releasing on the 10th and that I just missed the discount. I see that it still has 2 hours to unlock though :)

Grief.exe

Forgot to say, brilliant OT!

Not sure about the other streams, but I know Cobalt is insanely good at the original one, so him steamrolling through runs on this one doesn't surprise me.

To be fair, the guys streaming the game right now have all played for 1000+ hours.

Cobalt once completed more than 500 consecutive games of the original beating at least Mom's Heart every time.

His success is not necessarily an indication that the game is easier.

I've been mostly going off of Lion's and the Nicalis employee's stream last night.

The metric I have been using? The boss health bar. Every single run the boss has been dying incredibly quickly, I haven't seen a bad run yet.

Just first impressions. As I said, my evidence is incredibly circumstantial and based off of a small sample size.

SerTapTap

I would assume the game is more intended to be more accessible at a low level and hopefully equal or higher skill cap. They can't have possibly unlocked all the nasty endgame shit yet, right? (I'm not watching, spoilers + I should probably do work today)

Haunted

I've been mostly going off of Lion's and the Nicalis employee's stream last night.

The metric I have been using? The boss health bar. Every single run the boss has been dying incredibly quickly, I haven't seen a bad run yet.

Just first impressions. As I said, my evidence is incredibly circumstantial and based off of a small sample size.
Didn't northernlion have an insane win streak going in his yt Series? I'm sure the game will offer plenty of challenge.

Really looking forward to this once I'm home later tonight.

Kid Ska

That's fair. I agree that the bosses seem to drop pretty quickly.

David___

Banned

There's also a Hard mode IIRC. So Normal could be scaled down for newer players while Hard mode is for the more advanced.

Kid Ska

I would assume the game is more intended to be more accessible at a low level and hopefully equal or higher skill cap. They can't have possibly unlocked all the nasty endgame shit yet, right? (I'm not watching, spoilers + I should probably do work today)

Yeah, they've all been ending at the Mom fight.

Wonderful OT, NotLiquid.

Dang it, game is still encrypted. I was hoping everyone could download it now. Guess I'll play some OG Isaac until then. One final note: people who ordered the OST to Rebirth on Bandcamp should be able to download the whole shebang right now. I just did.

CassSept

I avoid watching gameplay videos for games I want to play, but from what I've seen the game has a potential to be far harder than the original BoI. Sure you can get more ridiculous item combos than in even Wrath of Lamb but the enemy density in some of the rooms seemed insane.

aeolist

Banned
i was never really able to get into the original, mainly because i disliked keyboard controls and joy2key doesn't feel good enough

hoping this one will suck me in. they're not doing a daily challenge with set seeds, are they?

Top Bottom