• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Finalow

if not found in red chests I don't make a devil deal for Guppy items, they're not really worth it imo.

i could of sworn someone said that trick doesn't work anymore, but it does? if so, nice. will def exploit it in future.
didn't do it recently but it should still work.

Ferrio

Banned
Love living on the edge of 1/2 heart cause of devil deals and such and pulling through with an amazing build. Risky as shit, but when you end up with near full damage/tears, guppy, and scythe shot...it's worth it.

if not found in red chests I don't make a devil deal for Guppy items, they're not really worth it imo.

You are so wrong. Guppy was amazing in isaac, and devil deals were well worth becoming guppy then. Now in Rebirth guppy is like WAY better, so it's still worth it. Flight is amazing in rebirth, and flies don't have a cap now so soon as you enter a room you destroy it, which means less damage you take.

I mean if you see a guppy's tail in a devil deal and don't take it, you've made a bad mistake.

5taquitos

I've played the game a couple of times since release. I'm consistently confused and overwhelmed.

The game throws a lot of crazy items and mysterious events at you from the get-go, but everything starts to get clearer as you complete more runs. (More than) half the fun is figuring out how everything works.

Expect to play through the game many, many times.

Sciz

Leaf + orbital abuse can clear a lot of rooms, but not quite every room, and some of them will lock you down but good for trying it. Tragic.

The Cellar in general can go to hell, on a related note. Misery for misery's sake.

Ferrio

Banned
Hopefully they honor the community's request of adding a toggle for items/curses. Else we aren't seeing any good racing.

Also amazed how big this thread is for Isaac.

I have 46 hours in this game and I still haven't unlocked the Cellar........

Here's a hint
Gemini counts as 2 bosses. You have to kill the little one first and the big one first on two separate runs to get them to both count. Usually what holds people back is they always kill the big one first, so they never get credit for the little one.

Yazan

Anyone seen the glitch that makes all tears/items/projectiles are invincible? I thought at first it was some effect but it fucked a great run and now it is like that even when I start a new game. On top of that, my PS4 won't connect to the Internet.

The Ludovico Technique can be fairly powerful when combined with DMG up items. It's a bit awkward to control initially, but when it comes to most bosses, you really can destroy them quite quickly. Especially good if you have poison effects somehow as well.

Jonm1010

Banned
Thanks for all the replies everyone!

Yeah this game encourages many playthroughs. You will find that you continue unlocking things the more you play, and are able to progress further on subsequent playthroughs.

There is 16 endings. You got the first one. The game is a "replay" type of game where the more you play, the more you unlock stuff to replay.

So after I kill Mom I then get to go a little further and beat another boss? So after I beat that boss do I have to start over or do I just keep going from here out?

Just curious how it all works. Loving the game though and psyched that I still have a stuff to do. Was really a little depressed when I thought I had beaten it.

Ferrio

Banned

So after I kill Mom I then get to go a little further and beat another boss? So after I beat that boss do I have to start over or do I just keep going from here out?

Just curious how it all works. Loving the game though and psyched that I still have a stuff to do. Was really a little depressed when I thought I had beaten it.

Just keep playing it and going far as you can, later levels naturally unlock the more times you beat it. Some end bosses you have to beat like 10 times before the next floor unlocks, but each time you'll get additional items too. Try and unlock new characters as beating the game with them unlocks even more items, so on and so forth.

Grief.exe

Here's a hint
Gemini counts as 2 bosses. You have to kill the little one first and the big one first on two separate runs to get them to both count. Usually what holds people back is they always kill the big one first, so they never get credit for the little one.

I didn't know that. I just kill the other one for fun every once in a while.

Kyou

The Ludovico Technique can be fairly powerful when combined with DMG up items. It's a bit awkward to control initially, but when it comes to most bosses, you really can destroy them quite quickly. Especially good if you have poison effects somehow as well.

I had an embarrassing death yesterday where a spider was just consistently outrunning my ludovico tear

jblank83

Guppy's Paw is amazing and can save a run.
Guppy's Tail is not bad, either, on a high key run.

For instance, if you get skeleton key, you absolutely should pick up Guppy's Tail, if possible.

Ugh stupid work getting in the way of more Issac. Man I love my Vita.
The funny, yet embarrassing, thing is I tried playing it on PS4 yesterday and I'm so used to Vita now that I felt all clumsy.

I really hope they add a gamma setting at some point though. The dark levels are way too dark.

Rubius

You kill mom, and a new passage will open the next time you kill mom. Then after you kill the next "big" boss, you will get an ending. Then you replay. This time I think you beat the second boss a couple of time, and after that it will open a passage. Then after that you get an another passage and more and more. There is 7 big bosses in the game. The second boss is where it splits.

Also, there is an another "victory" condition
if you beat mom in under 20 min.

And you do that with all characters, to unlock items.

Ferrio

Banned
Guppy's Paw is amazing and can save a run.
Guppy's Tail is not bad, either, on a high key run.

For instance, if you get skeleton key, you absolutely should pick up Guppy's Tail, if possible.

Case in point, just had an eve run. I took all 3 guppy pieces from devil deals only. 1 heart for dead cat, 1 heart for collar, 3 soul hearts for paw. Had brim from a 2 heart devil deal too, but damage wasn't that great.

After I got that paw even when I was at 1 soul heart it didn't matter cause soon as you enter a room it's destroyed. Just sailed right through cathedral and chest. Died like twice to blue baby due to idiocy (misjudged taurus effect), but doesn't matter cause dead cat.

First time playing this game and it's amazing. For some reason all I was thinking was this game with a Zelda skin would be incredible.

Edit: also beat mom on my 5th try. The game gave me some OP upgrades, I had big tear, splash damage, and rapid fire.

I absolutely love this game but I feel like it's just now starting to get a liiiiittle bit repetitive for me.
Mainly due to my own incompetence I guess. I've sort of plateaued, I feel like I'm not getting any better at it, i seem to get around the same distance in on every run except a couple of times when I've been lucky with my items, and I've only beaten MH once in over 40 runs.
Looking at the trophy list is disheartening because I feel like 70% of them are so massively unachievable for me that I may as well give up now.

Fitz

Anyone encounters problems unlocking
The Lost
? I've gone through the process multiple times without the getting the unlock, it's really getting tedious. :(

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
what I discovered so far is that any power up that involves 'charging' is shitty. but since I'm new to the Isaac I don't know which powerup does what.

loving it.

Ferrio

Banned
I absolutely love this game but I feel like it's just now starting to get a liiiiittle bit repetitive for me.
Mainly due to my own incompetence I guess. I've sort of plateaued, I feel like I'm not getting any better at it, i seem to get around the same distance in on every run except a couple of times when I've been lucky with my items, and I've only beaten MH once in over 40 runs.
Looking at the trophy list is disheartening because I feel like 70% of them are so massively unachievable for me that I may as well give up now.

Some tips
-Always keep the look out for rocks with an X on them, sometimes they're off color too. If you bomb them you usually get soul hearts, sometimes chests/keys/bombs.
-Always check your curse rooms if you can. There's ways to avoid the damage from entering/exiting the room too. If you have flying you wont' take damage entering the room. If you have a teleport card or telepills you can teleport out and avoid taking exit damage. Also sometimes the secret room will be adjacent to it, so you can bomb in/out, but make sure you know the room is there or have a good idea it is.
-This is the big one: Secure your devil/god deals. This means don't take red heart damage on the 2nd floor and below. If you don't take red heart damage on the 2nd floor you're guaranteed a devil deal. Floors after that your chances are greatly improved getting a deal if you didn't take red heart damage. Soul heart damage is fine, so try and find as many soul hearts as possible to give you a nice cushion. If checking a curse room means getting red heart damage, wait until after you kill the boss to check it. In the end a good devil room/god room is often the key to a good run.
-Don't do challenge rooms unless your certain you'll take little to no damage or there's an item in plain view. Challenge rooms I mostly take are ones with 3 red chests or have an item on a pedestal that I want.

Rubius

what I discovered so far is that any power up that involves 'charging' is shitty. but since I'm new to the Isaac I don't know which powerup does what.

loving it.

It always depend with what and when.

Brimstone and Mom Knife are easily the best items in the game and they both require charging.
Charged Tears is the worst item

Chocolate Milk and Monstro Lungs can be good if you have a setup for it.

Sarcasm

Just saw this and I knew something bad was gonna happen..still unexpected...

250900_2014-11-16_00059ult.png

autoduelist

Things I really want:

1) The platinumgod 'cheat sheet' site, but sorted by item type and/or color (familiars / books & paper, astrological signs, etc). It literally hurts my head looking at that page, and I find it's faster just typing the name.

2) A full list of everything I need to do. For example, do I need to beat boss rush on hard for every character, or just normal? I can't remember.

You'll get better. The only time I don't beat MH is if I throw away the run because I get a really stupid powerup on floor 1 (I'll take below average, but give me something that conflicts with my characters starting equip in the first item room and I'll start over, even though I probably don't have to).

loving it.

Brimstone is amazing, and it requires charging.

Ourobolus

Banned
Some tips
-Always keep the look out for rocks with an X on them, sometimes they're off color too. If you bomb them you usually get soul hearts, sometimes chests/keys/bombs.
-Always check your curse rooms if you can. There's ways to avoid the damage from entering/exiting the room too. If you have flying you wont' take damage entering the room. If you have a teleport card or telepills you can teleport out and avoid taking exit damage. Also sometimes the secret room will be adjacent to it, so you can bomb in/out, but make sure you know the room is there or have a good idea it is.
-This is the big one: Secure your devil/god deals. This means don't take red heart damage on the 2nd floor and below. If you don't take red heart damage on the 2nd floor you're guaranteed a devil deal. Floors after that your chances are greatly improved getting a deal if you didn't take red heart damage. Soul heart damage is fine, so try and find as many soul hearts as possible to give you a nice cushion. If checking a curse room means getting red heart damage, wait until after you kill the boss to check it. In the end a good devil room/god room is often the key to a good run.
-Don't do challenge rooms unless your certain you'll take little to no damage or there's an item in plain view. Challenge rooms I mostly take are ones with 3 red chests or have an item on a pedestal that I want.
o_O these are great, thanks. I'm still a bit of a noob at this, but this helps a ton.

Thanks for the tips guys. Just got to MH but died to her/it, sigh.
I had a ton of hearts too. I'm so bad at dodging multiple projectiles in this game, I feel like my isaac was so big because of all the crap I'd acquired it made it hard to judge where the collision detection was.

Chesskid1

Banned
my most common item found is goat head and bob's brain. i've prolly found them both like 20+ times. goat head is awesome so i don't mind that item at all.

tiny planet, i've seen twice but both early on the run so it really sucked and i ended up dying. it would be nice to get it late game.

i've seen soy milk and knife once each as well. died quickly with both em as well.

brimstone seems rather rare for me too.

i like straight up tears for most of my runs, so i love damage ups like the pact and cricket's head and if i can get cricket's body or the parasite i'm a really happy camper.

technology's are pretty rare find as well, i really want to get one of those + homing shots like in that one challenge, but it'll prolly take hundreds of runs. i'll keep trying. i want to see brimstone + tiny planet or homing as well.

however, i've seen bandage girl level 3 just randomly and she's really cute :D

Chopper

Thanks for the tips guys. Just got to MH but died to her/it, sigh.
I had a ton of hearts too. I'm so bad at dodging multiple projectiles in this game, I feel like my isaac was so big because of all the crap I'd acquired it made it hard to judge where the collision detection was.
Yeah. I'm struggling with collision detection too.

SerTapTap

Dingle is a prick, but if you stay on the other side of the room and watch for his tells he's not too bad. His dash is the ONLY thing you should be getting hit by, barring a complete screw up on your part. If you're on the other side of the room and can see he's about to dash, just move a moderate amount away each time as he starts to dash and don't panic, you should be alright.

Now The Haunt. Hate that fucking thing.

SerTapTap

BTW I randomly saw The Leech in a normal-ass room with the only obstacle being a tile of spikes. The hell was that? Do some rooms just have an item out there for grabs? Is there a special item pool for that? I've played a LOT of Rebirth and only saw it once, but it's still intriguing because hey, basically free passive.

Top Bottom