• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

jblank83

what I discovered so far is that any power up that involves 'charging' is shitty.

Very wrong.

Usually it's the opposite. Brimstone, Mom's Knife, and Monstro's Lung are all top tier items. Even Chocolate Milk, which used to be terrible (imo) is now very good as its synergy with Brimstone has been repaired (brimstone) and as you can ignore the charging and instead use rapid fire.

The only bad charging item is Cursed Eye, and that's mostly because of the terrible teleport effect.

Kid Ska

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
Here's a hint
Gemini counts as 2 bosses. You have to kill the little one first and the big one first on two separate runs to get them to both count. Usually what holds people back is they always kill the big one first, so they never get credit for the little one.

That's the biggest load of horse shit... but thank you, that really helps.

Ferrio

Banned
God rooms really needed more offensive items. The single one they added (that most people won't unlock) wasn't enough.

Man, Krampus's head is so OP. 3 charges for something that obliterates rooms and bosses.

SerTapTap

Yeah I just used Krampus' head for the first time vs a boss, and holy shit. I just assmued it was normal Brimstone damage and thus not worth bothering with.

Ozium

Very wrong.

Usually it's the opposite. Brimstone, Mom's Knife, and Monstro's Lung are all top tier items. Even Chocolate Milk, which used to be terrible (imo) is now very good as its synergy with Brimstone has been repaired (brimstone) and as you can ignore the charging and instead use rapid fire.

The only bad charging item is Cursed Eye, and that's mostly because of the terrible teleport effect.

Sell me on Monstro's Lung.. every time I've received it I've done demonstrably worse after picking it up.. The charge takes way too long imo and overall damage output not that good.

God rooms really needed more offensive items. The single one they added (that most people won't unlock) wasn't enough.

This allows there to be a theme to the rooms/items. The light of the Lord protects you while being evil brings power

Finalow

Guppy's Paw is amazing and can save a run.
Guppy's Tail is not bad, either, on a high key run.

For instance, if you get skeleton key, you absolutely should pick up Guppy's Tail, if possible.
eh, Guppy's Paw is pretty situational. usually when I find it I have better items which I don't want to replace. I do pick it up and put it back if it's free since I read it still counts for getting Guppy.
the tail is decent but I usually don't think it's worth the price, especially if you find it as a devil deal pretty late-game.

Love living on the edge of 1/2 heart cause of devil deals and such and pulling through with an amazing build. Risky as shit, but when you end up with near full damage/tears, guppy, and scythe shot...it's worth it.

You are so wrong. Guppy was amazing in isaac, and devil deals were well worth becoming guppy then. Now in Rebirth guppy is like WAY better, so it's still worth it. Flight is amazing in rebirth, and flies don't have a cap now so soon as you enter a room you destroy it, which means less damage you take.

I mean if you see a guppy's tail in a devil deal and don't take it, you've made a bad mistake.
I'm reading that being Guppy is great and honestly I had no idea since the only one time that I got full Guppy I didn't even notice it. (I was probably near the end with a shitload of other items)

if I knew that I was going to get at least 3 Guppy items I'd take them everytime but to me, at least, that doesn't happen very often at all. I usually get (if I get any) just 1 or 2 of those items in a run.

autoduelist

Arrrghggh, so for reference, don't bother doing stuff like boss rush in challenges. I was Eve in a challenge (on hard) and going super fast, thought i only needed to kill MH, so rushed through and since i did it so fast decided to do the boss rush to get the 'hard' credit. Beat that, but was living off of one heart (brimstone for sale, needed it and didn't think i had to do anything past MH and knew I could take her out.

And then... turns out you need to beat the next boss in that challenge. 1 heart in Sheol did no good at all -- entered a room full of eyeballs and insta-died.

No Boss Rush hard credit for me. And have to redo the whole challenge. Which is actually one of the easier ones thankfully.

I still consistently get my ass kicked by Dingle.

get at nice range, shoot at him.

he will either:

1) whistle for poop. big deal. keep firing.
2) shoot bullets. big deal, dodge, keep firing.
3) do 3 (always 3) charges. time your dodge like you do with other chargers, and don't worry about firing until he's done all 3 charges.
4) win

Ferrio

Banned
This allows there to be a theme to the rooms/items. The light of the Lord protects you while being evil brings power

The trouble is that it's really not worth it. There's a lot of bad/meh items in the god room pool, and you only get the choice of one. Also offense is almost always better than defense in isaac. God room should of had you atleast have a choice between two items, so you're not stuck with complete crap. Also the god rooms with two halves of eternal heart is the biggest "fuck you" in the game.

The Lost
glitches still work? With some items (or maybe just the dead cat) you could have been invulnerable.

No, but dead cat does give him 9 lives.

jblank83

Sell me on Monstro's Lung.. every time I've received it I've done demonstrably worse after picking it up.. The charge takes way too long imo and overall damage output not that good.

It does a lot of damage. That's about all there is to it. Its high spread deals with slippery enemies. It does a ton of damage to bosses. It synergizes well with many items, from shielded tears to mega damage items such as Polyphemus.

Here's something amusing, Monstro's Lung + Ipecac + Spoon Bender:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2I5A8CkgPz4

hbkdx12

Man, Krampus's head is so OP. 3 charges for something that obliterates rooms and bosses.
I'm not really a fan. It's good but there's many other items I've taken to replace it. The fact that it shoots in four directions is almost a waste to me as I hardly find myself surrounded by enemies where shooting in four directions is effective. So it basically just feels like a one use brimstone.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
The trouble is that it's really not worth it. There's a lot of bad/meh items in the god room pool, and you only get the choice of one. Also offense is almost always better than defense in isaac. God room should of had you atleast have a choice between two items, so you're not stuck with complete crap. Also the god rooms with two halves of eternal heart is the biggest "fuck you" in the game.

No, but dead cat does give him 9 lives.
It also serves as king of a challenge since you have to get them for
mega satan

And 2 eternal hearts is often better than 3 red chests yielding troll bombs and spiders (which seems to happen to me all the time)

Not to mention that good rooms have blue flames that you can bomb for high odds of soul hearts.

I don't think god rooms are so bad. I think the only thing making devil rooms better on average is guppy. If you removed the guppy transformation I think its a toss up which is better. So my solution would be to introduce some kind of godly transformation with 2-3 'holy' items that does something on par in power level.

Jonm1010

Banned
Just keep playing it and going far as you can, later levels naturally unlock the more times you beat it. Some end bosses you have to beat like 10 times before the next floor unlocks, but each time you'll get additional items too. Try and unlock new characters as beating the game with them unlocks even more items, so on and so forth.

You kill mom, and a new passage will open the next time you kill mom. Then after you kill the next "big" boss, you will get an ending. Then you replay. This time I think you beat the second boss a couple of time, and after that it will open a passage. Then after that you get an another passage and more and more. There is 7 big bosses in the game. The second boss is where it splits.

Also, there is an another "victory" condition
if you beat mom in under 20 min.

And you do that with all characters, to unlock items.

Thanks for the explanations! That is perfect. I can already feel this is gonna take up my free time. Who needs GTAV when I have Isaac!

Ferrio

Banned
mega satan

And 2 eternal hearts is often better than 3 red chests yielding troll bombs and spiders (which seems to happen to me all the time)

Not to mention that good rooms have blue flames that you can bomb for high odds of soul hearts.

I don't think god rooms are so bad. I think the only thing making devil rooms better on average is guppy. If you removed the guppy transformation I think its a toss up which is better. So my solution would be to introduce some kind of godly transformation with 2-3 'holy' items that does something on par in power level.

3 red chests has 3 chances of a guppy item. I'll take that over +1 health any day. Even without the guppy transformation you have brimstone/knife/dark bum/rotten baby/pentagram/krampus head etc etc. God room you only have two offensive items (both extremely rare and one only .1% of the population will unlock). Then you got a ton of defensive items most which are meh. Then you got total shit items like sea scrolls/bible.

Nick_C

get at nice range, shoot at him.

he will either:

1) whistle for poop. big deal. keep firing.
2) shoot bullets. big deal, dodge, keep firing.
3) do 3 (always 3) charges. time your dodge like you do with other chargers, and don't worry about firing until he's done all 3 charges.
4) win

Also note that Dingle will fire immediately after whistling to summon a poop, so it's best to keep your distance.

To add onto you strategy his tells are:

1: Whistle - summons adds and shoots
2: 'I farted' face - shoots
3: 'Constipated' face - 3 consecutive charges

slayn

needs to show more effort.
3 red chests has 3 chances of a guppy item. I'll take that over +1 health any day. Even without the guppy transformation you have brimstone/knife/dark bum/rotten baby/pentagram/krampus head etc etc. God room you only have two offensive items (both extremely rare and one only .1% of the population will unlock). Then you got a ton of defensive items most which are meh. Then you got total shit items like sea scrolls/bible.
maybe its because I mostly play on hard but dark bum is rather shitty now (on hard at least I would say Mitre is better and relic is significantly better). And rotten baby is soso.

Brimstone, knife, pentagram, and the pact are amazing. But then so are sacred heart, trinity shield, holy mantle, and prayer card

Rubius

mega satan

Yeah, kinda sad that there is only two transformation. An angel transformation would have been great. Or hell, a cricket transformation that work on the opposite. Where you deal massive damage, but low tear rate. And make Cricket appear in God rooms. God room are less powerful than deals with the devil mostly because you could just get a health up. It's good, but it's still just a pill.

SerTapTap

I'm not really a fan. It's good but there's many other items I've taken to replace it. The fact that it shoots in four directions is almost a waste to me as I hardly find myself surrounded by enemies where shooting in four directions is effective. So it basically just feels like a one use brimstone.

Brimstone ticks twice, Krampus ticks like 8 times. Try it on a boss. It will probably die.

SerTapTap

The Dark Room
1 heart and one soul heart left and 9 Lives.
Azazel + Pentagram + Mom's Knife.

Most nerve-racking thing ever. Eventually the only paths left were 2 Adversaries and 2 Fallens. All but impossible to dodge. To add insult to injury, I had a spare Abundance rune and a Dark Bum...not not one heart out of like 15 rooms.

rybrad

Just finished the final boss, that was a hell of a fun fight. Surprised there is no achievement or unlock related to killing it though.

SerTapTap

ooooookkaayyy...if you have extra card room AND extra pill room, the tarot card box use item can create pills instead of cards.
edit: uhhhh and the PHD justed dropped a card
what has science done

Afrodium

Banned
I just had the most OP run. Guppy+mom's knife+daddy's love+Gemini+various DMG upgrades=obliteration of all bosses in seconds.
Satan
went down in an instant.

Anustart

Damn, no achievement for no damage cathedral? Started a cain run, started off fantastic! Second floor, devil deal! Both brim baby and dark bum in there for a heart a piece, I grab both. Then a couple floors later d4 in item room. I let it roll! Turn into unstoppable killing machine with a ludovico pee laser ring.

Nick_C

Yeah,
The Mask of Infamy
is still totally unbalanced. Does it still count as a spoiler if it's in the original Isaac?

SMgamer83

Just got the
Golden God
achievement, so just
Mega Satan
to go. I also got some of the harder don't get hit achievements. The rarest achievements I have (according to Steam) are Dead Boy (2.7%) and Mystery Sack (2.3%). Just going to go for that last ending before Smash Wii U, so I can be done with this game! (I mean that in a good way...I love this game!)

Had Monstro's Lung, Proptosis, and the Pulse Worm trinket. Was fantastic shooting a giant mess of pulsing death balls, but then I picked up the fire tears item in the boss rush room and it completely screwed me over. Basically every time I shot I would end up getting blown up, especially since I was always close to enemies to maximize Proptosis.

Killed my run in Womb 2. ;(

Never picking up 3 Dollar Bill again. Ipecac + random My Reflection is a no-go. Luckily, I found Dr. Fetus which oddly made me immune to my own tears. Then I got Tammy's Head.

Dartastic

Okay, so as someone who is playing this game for the first time... do you guys have any advice? I'm not quite sure how this game works...

kenta

Has no PEINS
This game is so janky with PS4 trophy pops that it's demoralizing. I nuked/restarted my save when the patch came out and finally started getting trophies, but now they're broken again. Not sure I'll play again until they're actually working for good, if that ever happens

Anustart

What a run lol. Playing a loose laz run, it's not going so hot, find a d4 again. I'm rolling it asap just for fun. End up dying, but getting rezzed as blue baby with 3 soul hearts. Was on necropolis 2 I think. I manage to roll a sweet ass set up. Get lord of the flies, mom's knife, moms contact so I have two knifes, poison, a mini sculex. Get two curse of the blinds on utero 1 and 2, come into Sheol and see I have like 7 soul hearts and 2 black ones. Managed to get forget me now and ???s soul.

Oh, also I forgot, I d4'd the item that lets you take 1 free hit per room onto that blue baby as well. Basically best set up I could have hoped for.

SMgamer83

And with that,
Mega Satan
is dead! All 16 endings unlocked!

Everything from here on out is a grind, so I think I'm done for now. I may pick up and play as time allows, but no need to push for anything beyond that. Managed to do it all in 28 hours!

Leezard

Okay, so as someone who is playing this game for the first time... do you guys have any advice? I'm not quite sure how this game works...

Pick up every item until you learn what it does. You will have to play this game many times until you get good and learn how it works.

Ferrio

Banned
1st Devil Deal: Shovel only
2nd God Room: Dead Sea Scrolls
3rd God Room: Holy grail
4th God Room: 3 soul hearts (I'm already full)
5th God Room: Lazerus Rags
6th God Room: 3 soul hearts

Fuck you game. By the cathedral I had a ton of health, but my stats sucked ass and no special shots at all. I limped to Isaac where he finished me off.

And that's why God Rooms suck.

desverger

Well, they don't suck, but honestly devil rooms just have way more powerful items if you can manage your health.

3 free soul hearts definitely isn't bad, but yeah, sometimes - usually, you just want more damage :p

There's a few good items in the god rooms though, like the dead dove or holy grail, or sacred heart, but generally, getting an item from there is pretty rare.

demidar

1st Devil Deal: Shovel only
2nd God Room: Dead Sea Scrolls
3rd God Room: Holy grail
4th God Room: 3 soul hearts (I'm already full)
5th God Room: Lazerus Rags
6th God Room: 3 soul hearts

Fuck you game. By the cathedral I had a ton of health, but my stats sucked ass and no special shots at all. I limped to Isaac where he finished me off.

Choice with cost > No choice with no cost.

Options are much more desirable since you still have control over where you're going, by contrast God Rooms are a roulette.

CassSept

Just saw this and I knew something bad was gonna happen..still unexpected...

Please tell me you didn't take Tiny Planet ;_;

Very wrong.

Cursed Eye is really one of the worst items in the game, it's a run breaker. I didn't like Chocolate Milk either but it was pretty popular among people, meh.

do it on hard without items, next time.

yes.

and honestly if you have a decent build it's not really difficult since they drop a lot of red/soul hearts.

Honestly, if you're more or less op hard mode doesn't matter. It's a bit harder and tricky since the bosses don't drop hearts any more, but if you have a decent build and are mobile enough you can do it. Honestly, the only thing that almost killed me was that apart from that I had Curse of Darkness so I barely saw Red Poop from Carrion Queen so I accidentally lost a bit of health.

Starting to really dislike hard mode. I feel like it's hard for all wrong reasons. I think I'll take a break from the game for a while. It's going to take way too long to beat
Chest + Dark Room
with all characters.

DrunkDan

Totally pissed off at the moment. Started playing the game on Vita last week and been enjoying it immensely.

Synced the game to my ps4 no problem and used that for a bit. Ps4 version has updated here (UK) but the Vita version hasn't, so now I can't get my progress back to the Vita. I guess I'm out of luck until the patch is released here right?

GorillaJu

Holy hell, Brimstone with the 4-shot spider thing is incredibly fun. I did that boss rush thing after Mom no problem.

Too bad I only had two hearts and got killed by the stupid fucking flying mask/heart enemies in the Womb :lol

Top Bottom