• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

Nothus

I've just had a great run using an item that I largely ignored in WotL.......the pinking shears!

Has anyone tried them on this version yet? Your headless corpse is ridiculously strong, and takes down bosses in mere seconds.
Managed to earn the mama's boy achievement and take down
isaac
without any real trouble at all, you literally just dodge projectiles and let your corpse do all the work.

SentryDown

It seems to be a common issue, I lost my save on PS Vita. Not sure how this happenned, I was abroad this week and played a lot without Wifi, when I came back home my save file apparently synced and got rolled back. There is currently no way to get it back, I hope there will be a patch soon to avoid this kind of thing again

(on a bright side, trophies didn't worked properly and having those 10 Hearts kills again is not too long when you have already discovered the power of Azael)

Celegus

Is satan considered easier than isaac?

I wouldn't say so, personally. I can take Isaac down really easily, his shots are very easy to avoid. Satan is a lot more unpredictable, especially the third form. Unless you have Pyromaniac of course, then definitely go to Satan.

I beat the Chest for the first time yesterday, but that run took well over an hour. Li'l Brimstone and Revenge Fly were basically my only sources of damage, but I was indestructible from all the defensive items I picked up.

L00P

Starting to really dislike hard mode. I feel like it's hard for all wrong reasons. I think I'll take a break from the game for a while. It's going to take way too long to beat
Chest + Dark Room
with all characters.
I feel the same way. I think the key/bomb drops are way too rare. I went all the way through the depths once without ever getting a key. Combine that with rooms with more enemies and it just takes too long to fight anything.

woohoo, just got the dead boy achievement thanks to this :

vYn84nl.jpg

i still didn't get the other no damage achievement, haha

I would definitely say that Satan is harder than Isaac in this version. you can "out-play" Isaac if you know his patterns and can react quickly. Satan's third form and all those stupid bomb fly things he spawns are unpredictable and do a lot of damage quickly.

By the way, brimstone + homing shots is one of the most fun and ridiculously OP combos in the game.

Grief.exe

1st Devil Deal: Shovel only
2nd God Room: Dead Sea Scrolls
3rd God Room: Holy grail
4th God Room: 3 soul hearts (I'm already full)
5th God Room: Lazerus Rags
6th God Room: 3 soul hearts

Fuck you game. By the cathedral I had a ton of health, but my stats sucked ass and no special shots at all. I limped to Isaac where he finished me off.

And that's why God Rooms suck.

I had almost the exact same run last night. Frustrating.

CassSept

Big room in the Cellar are the absolute worst. It's early on so you're not particularly strong and you can get some incredibly irritating enemy placement.

Just... why, why.

I absolutely hate the new big poo enemy. I'm getting so frustrated by this game at times. Hard mode is irritating too.

The Girdlings are so dumb as Basement/Cellar bosses. I don't understand why they're there - they would fit much better in the Caves/Catacombs.

Big room in the Cellar are the absolute worst. It's early on so you're not particularly strong and you can get some incredibly irritating enemy

Yeah. even if you're in a situation where you're not taking damage, it's not super fun to spend a literal five minutes slowly pecking away at a mass of enemies. The big rooms are too common in general, I wish they were only like 1/4 to 1/2 as common as they are.

BigAT

Is it just me or is Fire Mind a drop to be avoided? I don't know if the flaming tears are worth the random explosion effect blowing up in your face from time to time.

Ronik

I've just thrown an unthrowable run because I accidentally picked up Nine Lives from a red chest on Sheol. I even had 10 heart containers, Lil' Brimstone, Krampus' Head and Money is Power with 70 cents.

That's enough Isaac for me tonight.

I just downloaded this. I loved Spelunky.

Any tips for beginners?

I've had to tell a bunch of my friends this recently so I guess my number one tip is: there's a treasure room on every floor (of the first 6 floors), don't leave a floor until you've at least checked to see what's in it. You'll screw yourself over really quickly if you're not picking up all the upgrades you can

Girdlings are a joke compared to getting THE HAUNT on the FIRST FUCKING FLOOR 6 out of 10 times

ugh yeah. there's some balancing that needs to be done, I think. he shouldn't be on the first floor, period.

that fucking head trauma challenge
hell, i've even managed to clear the one with guppy's hairball and I still can't do jack shit past depths 1 in that challenge
when no tears at all is easier than having tears there's something fucked up somewhere

that fucking head trauma challenge
hell, i've even managed to clear the one with guppy's hairball and I still can't do jack shit past depths 1 in that challenge
when no tears at all is easier than having tears there's something fucked up somewhere

One of the things that helps a lot is getting Coal from Krampus. It makes your tears a lot more powerful since they fly for so long.

Exalted

Does sacred heart still spawn in the angel room? I've tried like 10+ runs to get it, and i'm going for angel rooms only, but no luck. I even blow up the statues so i can reroll the key piece for a double item reroll and still no luck :s
Kinda hurts skiping on all the good devil deals you see, so you can get more angel rooms, and then you get complete garbage items in them. Apart from the shield and the mantle there is nothing good in there.

Kalor

I wish the boss rush was something that occasionally appeared rather than always being there. I can understand the decision behind it but it just turns into a routine part of the run if there is a worthwhile item available.

do you need to unlock him in rebirth though ?
i've got 20hrs+ of game time and haven't met him once
I think getting a certain number of Devil Deals in normal runs unlocks him? Not sure about that.
I wish the boss rush was something that occasionally appeared rather than always being there. I can understand the decision behind it but it just turns into a routine part of the run if there is a worthwhile item available.
I always try to carry a teleport item up to Mom so I can simply steal an item if I want one.

Exalted

Anyone else having problems with the Haunt? He is the only boss in the game where i always take damage :s That brimstone attack that he does and then sweps across the room can many times not be dodged. And if you try to atack him horizontally , he goes into super speed mode and rams you, before you can even blink.

edit: i see people alredy mentioned him

Finalow

so I had 3 god-awful runs in attempt to kill Satan and I restarted them, the 4th was going well until after Mom's heart where the game decides to put me into the fucking Cathedral. (I'm sure that I went down to Sheol)

just why game, just FUCKING WHY.

so I had 3 god-awful runs in attempt to kill Satan and I restarted them, the 4th was going well until after Mom's heart where the game decides to put me into the fucking Cathedral. (I'm sure that I went down to Sheol)

just why game, just FUCKING WHY.

I had a bug like that on the VIta version. When I picked up the Polaroid after Mom, the game wouldn't let me go down to Sheol but would always put me into the cathedral. Never happened on PC though.

Anyone else having problems with the Haunt? He is the only boss in the game where i always take damage :s That brimstone attack that he does and then sweps across the room can many times not be dodged. And if you try to atack him horizontally , he goes into super speed mode and rams you, before you can even blink.

edit: i see people alredy mentioned him

Try to stay in the center of the room, and once he comes your direction, dodge towards the other side of the room (like, if he slides towards the left, go towards the right), so you can't get cornered should he start up the laser. That is of course unless he's using his beam while approaching. :)
It'll take a while to take him down, but luckily he doesn't have a lot of health. This is one of those bosses where it's better to just take it safe.

cerulily

I've done maybe 50 runs now and i haven't seen brimstone once... so frustrating.

However, ludavico technique on azazel is so hilariously overpowered. It's just this floating ring of death.

autoduelist

Krampus head can and will, clear pretty much any room. You get it, start it and walk across the room. Death.

Krampus + Battery (store 2 charges), oh my.

game got wayyyyy easier now that i'm abusing PSN Sync upload and download lol

Scum saving BoI, please say it isn't so.

Is satan considered easier than isaac?

I think he is. I can usually get through the 3rd form with little or no damage by just circling the outer perimeter and shooting inward (might get hit by a worm, but if I have familiars/defense they often help with those). However, the moving field of light is really hard not to take damage,... so if I have a low health run I go for Satan. I don't find either particularly hard if i have a decent setup though.

Big room in the Cellar are the absolute worst. It's early on so you're not particularly strong and you can get some incredibly irritating enemy placement.

Just... why, why..

If I get a big room on the first level that isn't just flies, I start a new game. Takes far too long. Especially on hard. I have no interest in spending 5 minutes clearing a room of spiders only to find a treasure room with, say, tiny planet.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Hey guys. If you have the chance to pick up fire tears, anti grav tears, and orbiting tears at the same time, go ahead and do it. Really. You won't be driven insane and die in three rooms at all.

SerTapTap

Neither Brimstone nor Monstro's Lung allow you to shoot lasers made out of knives/barf a barrage of knives :(. Though Brim + Mom's Knife has absolutely ridiculous damage.

Stoze

Just had a crazy run. Unfortunately I totally forgot about getting the achievement for beating the chest without damage and proceeded to lay waste on the entire floor when I could've just gone to the boss first with my emperor card. Took one heart of damage in one of the rooms.

G-Bus

Banned
Has anyone run into the problem of your trinkets/cards dropping?

Just started happening today and it's incredibly annoying. I'll pick the trinket up and sometimes it will drop right away, or a few seconds later or it will stay on me until i hit the next room then drop again. Same deal with cards.

On PC btw. My hand/fingers are no where near the ctrl key.

Refyref

Neither Brimstone nor Monstro's Lung allow you to shoot lasers made out of knives/barf a barrage of knives :(. Though Brim + Mom's Knife has absolutely ridiculous damage.

I actually got knives lasers after picking up Brimstone today. Maybe the coal had something to do with it.

Top Bottom