• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth |OT| Pixel Heart Mother

rbanke

The 'Mom's Kills' stat is for the first fight right? I'm at 11 and haven't popped the 8 & 9 trophies so I'm assuming its for the heart. Wish there was some deeper stat tracking

Just checking -- is the Vita crosssaving fixed yet?

Yes, working very well now.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
what's the difference between hard and normal? aside from being harder obviously. I noticed the floors are longer.

However, the moving field of light is really hard not to take damage,...

really? just hide in the bottom left or top right corner as soon as he goes off screen. misses you every time.

??? runs are real annoying when every single heart you get is red.

I spent the better part of the week after work trying to get the D6, and after I did, I started forgetting to pick up red hearts with Isaac.

SerTapTap

Is The Chest on par in difficulty with
the dark room
? What's my game plan for attacking those two? I thought I'd have it locked up as Azazel but
Dark Room
was hell due to 9 Lives and starting with only 2 HP on my first run anyway. I could beat MOST bosses no problem without taking a hit, but multiple Fallens are really hard to dodge as is
two Adverseries, goddamn

I guess I need to try for a run with The Wafer and or tons of health? Or should I focus on other unlocks first (I do not have most boss kill unlocks for most characters even before The Chest, just Isaac Judas and Azazel, no D6 yet)

Yea, when I got Mom's Knife with Azazel once, he had both at the same time.

That's...very odd. I just got a normal Mom's Knife with extremely high damage and extremely short range (shorter than Azazel's brimstone shot). Might have been some other interaction of items but I didn't have too many shot modifiers that run.

slayn

needs to show more effort.
bleh, the only thing I'm missing at this point is meat boy/bandage girl. I got a setup of d20 + sharp plug + swallowed penny and wanted to use that to get infinite re-rolls with a monster manual but the game continually crashes on me if I abuse the d20.

So I can't take that path due to crashes I guess. meat boy/bandage girl suck in this one =\

bleh, the only thing I'm missing at this point is meat boy/bandage girl. I got a setup of d20 + sharp plug + swallowed penny and wanted to use that to get infinite re-rolls with a monster manual but the game continually crashes on me if I abuse the d20.

So I can't take that path due to crashes I guess. meat boy/bandage girl suck in this one =\

does picking up SMB Super Fan count?

h#shdem0n

So I got my first BoI experience with Rebirth, and it's been interesting. I never got on the roguelike / procedural dungeon crawler bandwagon, because the notion of progress inherent in that design philosophy was anathema to mine. I think I may be rethinking that though, because I'll be damned if this game isn't addictive as hell! Although, I do feel like I haven't accomplished anything after playing it due to the structure of the game. That's a small complaint, though. And I haven't even successfully completed a run yet.

The music is fantastic, as well.

SerTapTap

They really need to make Meat Boy/Bandage Girl mutually exclusive or something. Without fail I end up with lvl 1 or lvl 2 forms of BOTH them and absolutely never level 3 of either.

Refyref

One thing that drives me mad about this game is the gamma. It's practically impossible to play it outside, or even when there's more than a moderate amount of sunlight in the room.

Hydrargyrus

This game is killing me.

In one side, I'm addicted. In this moment, I have no time for games, but this game keeps me playing when I should be working...

... but in the other side, I'm not able to do nothing. I barely beat the "level 3" and I've reached 3 o 4 times the 4th and 5th level.

Is there more levels beyond that?, can you reach a safe level or you always have to restart from the beginning?

SerTapTap

This game is killing me.

In one side, I'm addicted. In this moment, I have no time for games, but this game keeps me playing when I should be working...

... but in the other side, I'm not able to do nothing. I barely beat the "level 3" and I've reached 3 o 4 times the 4th and 5th level.

Is there more levels beyond that?, can you reach a safe level or you always have to restart from the beginning?

It's a roguelike. If you die you start over (though there's exit and continue in this one if you can't do it all in one session). You might try focusing on unlocking other characters if you're having trouble playing as Isaac. Azazel is a fairly easy unlock and is a VERY beginner friendly character that basically lets you say "fuck you" to a lot of the level design and bosses.

So I got my first BoI experience with Rebirth, and it's been interesting. I never got on the roguelike / procedural dungeon crawler bandwagon, because the notion of progress inherent in that design philosophy was anathema to mine. I think I may be rethinking that though, because I'll be damned if this game isn't addictive as hell! Although, I do feel like I haven't accomplished anything after playing it due to the structure of the game. That's a small complaint, though. And I haven't even successfully completed a run yet.

The music is fantastic, as well.

It's different from proper roguelikes in that the gameplay is much smoother, and even if you don't get good luck with drops/enemies, you can still beat the game (or at least get very far) based on your skill alone. RPG-style roguelikes for the most part do not have that. And, if you play the game a bit, your improvement makes itself noticeable.

Additionally, the game's mechanics are very easy to grasp, while the RPG-based roguelikes have very indepth mechanics like flanking or critical hits. Isaac is very straight forward.

dLMN8R

Here's a fun seed you can try:

6VBD 8GK2

Just got this one yesterday. Started with only Soul hearts and no regular hearts, but tons of incredible powerups that gradually got me to destroying everything. I don't want to spoil the fun for you, just recommend you try it out :-D

Hydrargyrus

It's a roguelike. If you die you start over (though there's exit and continue in this one if you can't do it all in one session). You might try focusing on unlocking other characters if you're having trouble playing as Isaac. Azazel is a fairly easy unlock and is a VERY beginner friendly character that basically lets you say "fuck you" to a lot of the level design and bosses.

Ok, I'll take a look later. Thank you for the advice!

More noob questions...

Anyway to deal with jars or grey blocks oth err than jumping or flying or bombing or stomping? I cant push the blocks like in zelda, right?

What do faith, evil, and luck all do?

What are the items and pills and equipment that seem useless for? Any way to find out what these thing do without going to a google search? Examples I can think of include goats head, nes cart, I found pills, etc.

SamVimes

Unpopular opinion here but i think the Haunt is not a very strong boss at all. The hardest part are the little haunts at the beginning honestly unless you keep going to his side to get charged
like some scumlord

desverger

D6 unlocked!

I was on the edge of my seat the whole time because in Cathedral I had the Curse of the Unknown, and had no idea how much hp I had left.. I only remember finishing the heart fight with maybe 1,5 hearts left.

And ofc I thought the D6 would be heart only, like in regular Isaac :p

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Beat Isaac for the first time. Yeah maybe he is easier than Satan. I've gotten used to that fight now and it's a lot easier to avoid his attacks. It was pretty close though. I certainly wasn't anywhere close to overpowered in this fight and only had one heart remaining when I beat him so it was pretty satisfying.

Meader

Has there been any word of a patch to fix the trophies not unlocking issue on the PS4 yet? How these kinds of issues slip by certification I'll never know.

Was planning on playing some Isaac on ps4 tonight. However the game seems to be stuck on the initial loading screen. Uninstalled the game and reinstalled. Doesn't help. Guess I'll be playing something else instead.

I'm asking about the hard mode becuase I find killing big rooms of enemies and champions to be quite annoying and the lack of keys is infuriating. What are the awards for the hard mode?

The only unlocks for hard mode are coop babies and you only need to beat mom's heart to unlock them. Other than that there aren't any unlocks for completing the game on hard mode, except for with one special character.

Wait, so the only one worth completing hard mode is
The Lost?

Puru

More noob questions...

Anyway to deal with jars or grey blocks oth err than jumping or flying or bombing or stomping? I cant push the blocks like in zelda, right?

What do faith, evil, and luck all do?

What are the items and pills and equipment that seem useless for? Any way to find out what these thing do without going to a google search? Examples I can think of include goats head, nes cart, I found pills, etc.

Can't push, you either fly over them or destroy them.

Faith as far as i know increase the chance for angel rooms and soul hearts, evil is the same but with devil rooms, maybe black hearts aswell.
Luck i have no real idea, you're more lucky with slot machines and you might better drop. Honestly i find it pretty unnoticeable (RIP Cain).

"I found pills is useless" but at least it's not a negative bonus, same goes for "puberty" as far as i know, can't think of a trinket or item that does nothing though, they all have functions.
wiki is useful if you simply want to know what some obscur items actually do.

yatesl

Hello. My name's Liam, and I can't beat the game without
Azazel

I can beat the game normally with most, but I can only get to and beat
Satan
or
Isaac
with him, as he's easy mode.

The worst thing is, the more times I do it with him, the harder it gets for everyone else.

I have two more characters to unlock: Judas and Samson. I am so close to getting Samson but I seem to take a hit on the second floor everytime!

SerTapTap

Anyone else getting random charged shots/card throws firing to the left instead of your last direction? PS4. Thinking it might be a deadzone issue

Hesemonni

Banned
Eve is a really irritating character to start because she's just so powerless. Do people immediately intentionally get hit to activate Whore of Babylon or is there more to Eve I'm just missing here?

Iryx

Eve is a really irritating character to start because she's just so powerless. Do people immediately intentionally get hit to activate Whore of Babylon or is there more to Eve I'm just missing here?

Eve is really strong in Whore of Bablyon form, I always go down to 1 heart on purpose first chance I get to activate it, and I avoid red heart pickups if possible and trade away all extra heart containers first chance I get, even if I have to do less useful deals like Brother Bobby.

jblank83

Do people immediately intentionally get hit to activate Whore of Babylon or is there more to Eve I'm just missing here?

Sometimes, yes, absolutely. It makes her bearable.

Usually I wait until I see the first treasure room and boss item. If it's trash I'll go all out and just take everything on in demon form. If the items are good I try to play it safe with spirit hearts.

Kuroyume

Banned
Note to self: When you're in the chest and you're next to the boss entrance and you're an overpowered monster that could take out blue baby don't be a delusional idiot and decide to visit the other rooms to clear them because you're a fool if you really believe you're that powerful.

Just want to point out that I'm an idiot.

Got wrecked by like four mega fattys.

Top Bottom