• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Booshka

We got promising rookies retiring from the NFL citing concerns with dementia. It begins. The NFL will not exist in 15 years or so. Definitely not like it's currently constructed at least.

Hopefully more people get into Baseball, safer sport, both for health and financial stability. Double and Triple A Baseball is still a decent career compared to the all or nothing NFL. Some luck here and there with Arena and Canadian Football, but I like how Baseball handle's their talent pool up and down the scale. There are still insane contracts, huge payouts for a 5,7, 10 years that set you up for life. Outside profits are undoubtedly higher with endorsements and sponsorship's, but so many NFL careers end in a couple years, and can cripple you physically and/or mentally, for life. I really hope that the NFL starts to crash onto itself and more talented athletes, (especially young black men) come back to Baseball.

I guess that's just my bias toward Baseball though, which is too slow and old to watch for most, and most kids don't want to play it either it seems.

Basketball, and Soccer can hopefully take on that talent and grow as well, I'm starting to get tired of NFL Football, and all the baggage surrounding it.

royalan

Hopefully more people get into Baseball, safer sport, both for health and financial stability. Double and Triple A Baseball is still a decent career compared to the all or nothing NFL. Some luck here and there with Arena and Canadian Football, but I like how Baseball handle's their talent pool up and down the scale. There are still insane contracts, huge payouts for a 5,7, 10 years that set you up for life. Outside profits are undoubtedly higher with endorsements and sponsorship's, but so many NFL careers end in a couple years, and can cripple you physically and/or mentally, for life. I really hope that the NFL starts to crash onto itself and more talented athletes, (especially young black men) come back to Baseball.

I guess that's just my bias toward Baseball though, which is too slow and old to watch for most, and most kids don't want to play it either it seems.

Basketball, and Soccer can hopefully take on that talent and grow as well, I'm starting to get tired of NFL Football, and all the baggage surrounding it.

Eh, I think we'll see stronger rules and regulations designed to protect the players before Football goes away completely. And, frankly, this needs to happen sooner rather than later. The way the sport promotes players getting bigger and hitting harder just isn't sustainable, and those helmets don't do shit to protect from the long-term damage these players sustain from crashing into each other's heads for years on end.

DominoKid

Baseball
0WUkYAL.png

here's to our RBs, WRs, CBs and LBs becoming strikers, midfielders and defenders
GMxuz.png

DominoKid

basketball jerseys are just the worst to wear. you really have to either be at a game or daydrinking to not look like a clown wearing it.

the rest you can get away with rocking on a normal day.

i actually like hockey jerseys but they're just so goddamn big. if they had a jersey cut for civilian wear i'd have a fuckload of em.

Booshka

I knew I would get trashed for Baseball lol, I am in with Soccer and Basketball though as well.

Even if NFL Football gets safer, the kids playing Pop Warner, and High School Football are still gonna be jacking up their brains and bodies playing the sport without all the high tech and money required for that level of safety.

Seems that practice and training is getting better at, and moving away from hits to the head.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
More people should play DOTA and League of Legends professionally so those can become the new national sport.

royalan

Speaking of Bessie Smith, she is one of my all-time favorite singers. They better not fuck this up.

Her rendition of "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out" gives me chills to this day.

Nobody knows you
When you're down and out
In my pocket not one penny
And my friends, I haven't any
But if I ever get on my feet again
Then I'll meet my long lost friend
It's mighty strange without a doubt
Nobody knows you when you're down and out
I mean when you're down and out

Lord, ain't that the truth...

royalan

Wow @ that FFXV video

I want to play the demo so bad.. but idk if getting a PS4 so early is a good idea tbh

Nope.

I've already decided that I won't be dipping into this gen until the mid-gen price drops.

And it seems like it won't be until then that the good games start releasing.

Is it?

I jumped into Heroes of the Storm and Smite for work. Then I asked what I should try next and everyone said Dota 2. Shit be cray.

And the Ramuh summon was one of the things Square Enix said we couldn't talk about in our previews.
Dots 2 the most unfriendly one of them all. Hots the most likely to be played in 1st grade

just send over your best athletes to rugby

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lULIHEAeOlk

0xCA2

Just slept on my phone and now I think the screen is all sensitive ( had to set touch and hold settings from low to medium). Hope I didn't fuck it up

I have one of those plexiglass covers so maybe that has something to do with it

andthebeatgoeson

Speaking of Bessie Smith, she is one of my all-time favorite singers. They better not fuck this up.

Her rendition of "Nobody Knows You When You're Down and Out" gives me chills to this day.

Nobody knows you
When you're down and out
In my pocket not one penny
And my friends, I haven't any
But if I ever get on my feet again
Then I'll meet my long lost friend
It's mighty strange without a doubt
Nobody knows you when you're down and out
I mean when you're down and out

Lord, ain't that the truth...

I'm over here getting ready for some Splicers!

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Just slept on my phone and now I think the screen is all sensitive ( had to set touch and hold settings from low to medium). Hope I didn't fuck it up

I have one of those plexiglass covers so maybe that has something to do with it

Was the conversation that good?

basketball jerseys are just the worst to wear. you really have to either be at a game or daydrinking to not look like a clown wearing it.

the rest you can get away with rocking on a normal day.

i actually like hockey jerseys but they're just so goddamn big. if they had a jersey cut for civilian wear i'd have a fuckload of em.

That was kind of the idea behind the sleeved basketball jerseys. I got one on clearance last season and it feels much better to wear, but doesn't feel/look like a real jersey.

Houston-Rockets-Sleeved-Big-Color-Christmas-Jersey-2013.jpg

You think people go into work at Black Berry and just cry a their desk inbetween filling out online applications?

Everyday at 12:00p Joe walked around to desks putting a nice little slip on there with a smile. They all knew what that slip meant, their time at Blackberry was over. For four years Joe has been going around to desks doing his job, a job he was damn good at. Around the office he became known as the grim reaper of sorts. Because of this Joe had no work friends, but he didn't mind. It made his job easier, "No attachments" he mumbled one particularly bright morning. This would be Joe's best day for he would be dropping a slip on Janet's desk. She had rebuffed his advances to take her out to dinner and secure her place at Blackberry. Her reject angered Joe, but he realized his time would come to get his revenge against her, and today was that day. Because for Joe...it was about ethics in videogame journalism.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
You think people go into work at Black Berry and just cry a their desk inbetween filling out online applications?

I have been there. Been in a situation where my company was rumored to be sold soon, or atleast my department was being liquidated. It's rough man. You have to somewhat still do your job while looking for something else and trying to keep up on the company news. I ended up just bailing for something else because the uncertainty was terrible.

I don't work at Black Berry so I'm doing great.
Is that the black dude from Walking Dead? That image I don't recognize from either two episodes. Did he come back?

I'm really feeling weird right now. I'm exasperated from the funeral events, saw some family I haven't seen in years. One in ten years. It felt weird when she said I've shot up since I've been grown for several years and haven't grown an inch since then. There was also the family drama and it looks like there might be another member that will start being absent because of how the wake and funeral went down.

Glad the gun show banned them. I used to see them ALL the time at gun shows in OK. Haven't seen one in a long time. Glad they're going away.

Really? I didn't know black people went to gun shows.

0xCA2

So I've fucked myself pretty seriously.

Dropped a class earlier this semester thinking that it wouldn't effect my financial aid (went to the financial aid office about dropping a class for the past 2 semesters and they both said I was okay as long as I had 11 credits based on what aid I was taking at the time).

Big mistake. I now owe nearly $4000 to my institution (note: i'm an in-state commuter). Looking at my student account, 2 different places want their full aid disbursement back. I only have $2500 or so left in refunds. No job, nothing (and it's not like I haven't been looking). My family is poor as fuck. The only way I can see this working out is if I ask to borrow money from them and then pay it back with the next refund, which a). might not work out and b). I still needed part of that refund money for public transportation and my cell phone bill.

So I'm fucked. I'd honestly be open to taking the next semester off, just because. Fuck it, my college track has been so fucked up already (started at 19, 22 and still 2 years left) that why not?

So I've fucked myself pretty seriously.

Dropped a class earlier this semester thinking that it wouldn't effect my financial aid (went to the financial aid office about dropping a class for the past 2 semesters and they both said I was okay as long as I had 11 credits based on what aid I was taking at the time).

Big mistake. I now owe nearly $4000 to my institution (note: i'm an in-state commuter). Looking at my student account, 2 different places want their full aid disbursement back. I only have $2500 or so left in refunds. No job, nothing (and it's not like I haven't been looking). My family is poor as fuck. The only way I can see this working out is if I ask to borrow money from them and then pay it back with the next refund, which a). might not work out and b). I still needed part of that refund money for public transportation and my cell phone bill.

So I'm fucked. I'd honestly be open to taking the next semester off, just because. Fuck it, my college track has been so fucked up already (started at 19, 22 and still 2 years left) that why not?

Hey man, don't think of it as a bad thing. I was in a similar situation and I had to take a semester off to get my finances in order. Find a good place to work and start saving. Hopefully by next semester you can go back. Gotta remember about that 12 credit full time cut off. I had to pay outta pocket because I forgot what full time was in grad school. Luckily I had a healthy stash of funds at the time so it wasn't that huge of a deal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom