• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

I love Sanderson. The sequel, Firefight, came out this year. Also a great read.

You might also want to try Contractor by Andrew Bell.

I just finished Fireflight last night. One of the few times where the ending blew my mind. I still need to read the Mist books.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Jesus Christ at that picture in the gawker article. His face is fucking covered in blood. All because he had a fake ID? How is this defensible in any way? (Don't answer that).
I can find the youtube link right now as I am at work but "Jungle Brothers - Brain" is a good one. Especially the instrumental if you can find it.

I listen to samurai champloo instrumentals on rainy days

best rainy day tracks are Halo 3: ODST tracks
Thanks for the recommendations, fellas. Brain instrumental in particular was excellent.

I love Sanderson. The sequel, Firefight, came out this year. Also a great read.

You might also want to try Contractor by Andrew Bell.

Heard people recommend Contractor but never pulled it. Might have to check it out since I see even BCT members are recommending it.

I liked Firefight more than Steelheart, not that I thought Steelhart was bad. It's just I found Firefight had more moments where I didn't want to put it down compared to Steelhart.

http://justice.gawker.com/there-are...t-university-of-virgina-s-1692200174/+jparham

I like how we get our asses kicked for doing shit white folk do every weekend.

CAaEfLDWUAE-c4U.jpg

esms

http://justice.gawker.com/there-are...t-university-of-virgina-s-1692200174/+jparham

My buddy got caught with a fake one time and they just cut it up in front of him. This guy gets the shit kicked out of him. Talk about a discrepancy.

A vision of the reporting of this story has appeared in my head.

"In fact, we have reports that he was on the Honor Committee at UVA, and the only African American one."
"I guess with that fake I.D. he wasn't too HONOURABLE after all, right Barbara?"
"..."

Don't give them any ideas.

Shy

A vision of the reporting of this story has appeared in my head.

"In fact, we have reports that he was on the Honor Committee at UVA, and the only African American one."
"I guess with that fake I.D. he wasn't too HONOURABLE after all, right Barbara?"
"..."
I hope this kid goes on to become a massive success in everything he does, it's best way to get back at these cunts. (apart from them being prosecuted, of course.)

Random thought. If the US adopted the Sybil system tomorrow what do you think would be the most obvious of changes?

wealthy far right would be funding literal think tanks to ensure Quaker-era "red-blooded american purity" correlated to an acceptable Hue and any deviations, particularly liberals, would have Crime Coefficients through the roof

wealthy far right would be funding literal think tanks to ensure Quaker-era "red-blooded american purity" correlated to an acceptable Hue and any deviations, particularly liberals, would have Crime Coefficients through the roof

We're going to pretend this Sybil system can't be tampered with that easily and certainly not with money. We're talking about a system that absolutely doesn't discriminate on any basis, it just hands out justice regardless of socioeconomic or racial background.

In fact let's pretend that even trying to fund something like that registers as a major shift in hue.

We're going to pretend this Sybil system can't be tampered with that easily and certainly not with money. We're talking about a system that absolutely doesn't discriminate on any basis, it just hands out justice regardless of socioeconomic or racial background.

In fact let's pretend that even trying to fund something like that registers as a major shift in hue.

If we're talking about a system that actually measures right and wrong, then I have to imagine one big change would be the dissemination of institutionalized racism and whatnot in favor of a social structure based more on the hues themselves. Considering they never really clarified on the actual, y'know, hue values, other than muddied / clouded colors being bad, there'd probably be groups like "reds," "blues," etc.

If we're talking about a system that actually measures right and wrong, then I have to imagine one big change would be the dissemination of institutionalized racism and whatnot in favor of a social structure based more on the hues themselves. Considering they never really clarified on the actual, y'know, hue values, other than muddied / clouded colors being bad, there'd probably be groups like "reds," "blues," etc.

Word. But doesn't Sybil also dictate your role in society? Like it picks their job and everything else? I might be conflating it with another anime/manga...shits start to run together. I need to watch PP again.

Word. But doesn't Sybil also dictate your role in society? Like it picks their job and everything else? I might be conflating it with another anime/manga...shits start to run together. I need to watch PP again.

iirc it was a vaguely Orwellian / The Giver sort of setup where the Sybil system was used in conjunction with diagnostic testing, at which point it would provide you with possible job options depending on the qualities you scored the highest in. So, it's not necessarily "born into the agricultural caste" or anything, it really just boils down to what you're good at personally. It's almost a Pokemon sort of setup where standard of living in general is so high that there isn't a huge focus on making ends meet and the American Dream(tm) and whatnot so much as it is just people being themselves and actually taking pride in their trades.

That being said, if I'm remembering right I think one or two of the main girl's friends were pretty airheaded and their test results gave them jobs that basically amounted to cashiering at Target. I have to wonder if the Sybil system actually allows people to re-take tests and move into different fields depending on whether or not they show promise, or if you're actually locked into that job for the rest of your life. Tenure's probably pretty easy to come by, though.

Gorillaz

Despite it's faults I really did enjoy psycho pass. Interesting premise with the sybil system being the judge, jury and executioner in a sense

part 2 could have been ALOT better tho, wasted potential, at least the opening theme was kinda ok

EloquentM

aka Mannny
Yo leprechaun 6: back 2 tha hood is coming out on Netflix April first. Gonna make sure I got my popcorn and big gulp for this one.

iirc it was a vaguely Orwellian / The Giver sort of setup where the Sybil system was used in conjunction with diagnostic testing, at which point it would provide you with possible job options depending on the qualities you scored the highest in. So, it's not necessarily "born into the agricultural caste" or anything, it really just boils down to what you're good at personally. It's almost a Pokemon sort of setup where standard of living in general is so high that there isn't a huge focus on making ends meet and the American Dream(tm) and whatnot so much as it is just people being themselves and actually taking pride in their trades.

That being said, if I'm remembering right I think one or two of the main girl's friends were pretty airheaded and their test results gave them jobs that basically amounted to cashiering at Target. I have to wonder if the Sybil system actually allows people to re-take tests and move into different fields depending on whether or not they show promise, or if you're actually locked into that job for the rest of your life. Tenure's probably pretty easy to come by, though.

Word, it's been a while since I watched didn't really care when I did.

Furyous

That Raven thread was about to get me banned. I took a deep breath and edited the hell out of my post.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=156460609&postcount=115

Don't let the trolls win. If it's an obvious troll then just hit backspace and discuss it elsewhere. People are blatant to the point of annoyance with their exercise of freedom of speech aka blatant attempts to goad other people into bans. Don't fall for the sugar in the gas tank.

but, but, but, respectability politics. If black people would just stop doing things every white kid does everyday then police would stop harassing them.

Africanus

A person on my twitter feed posts the following:
"This nigga come up to the press conference speaking African and shit."
I am tempted to correct them, but decide not to create conflict in my life near bed-time.
Such is the life of Africanus.

A person on my twitter feed posts the following:
"This nigga come up to the press conference speaking African and shit."
I am tempted to correct them, but decide not to create conflict in my life near bed-time.
Such is the life of Africanus.

Only reasonable reply is "This honkey come up to the press conference speaking American and shit."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom