• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Anything is better than nothing, just gotta take what you can get. The no insurance thing is something I know too well, family got like 5 different tickets in the span of 2 years of "not being able to maintain financial responsibility."

Everything will turn around eventually.
I know this is cliche.

I actually think nothing is better in this case. Putting my health at risk everyday too? and I've had little time to actually craft on my skill while working this. After I get off and finish the walk. I take the nap then eat, fill out a couple of applications and then back to bed. I could better spend that those eight hours, building up my portfolio so I can have a stronger case to present when looking for jobs and people also said I have to dedicate building games like it's a 9-5. I can't do that when I'm already working those hours. I don't know how in the hell I work more than twice the hours of my last job but only make about $20 more.

I also got a notice that I have three months before I have to start paying back loans. Sally Mae is about to fuck me in the ass with no condom.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I actually think nothing is better in this case. Putting my health at risk everyday too? and I've had little time to actually craft on my skill while working this. After I get off and finish the walk. I take the nap then eat, fill out a couple of applications and then back to bed. I could better spend that those eight hours, building up my portfolio so I can have a stronger case to present when looking for jobs and people also said I have to dedicate building games like it's a 9-5. I can't do that when I'm already working those hours. I don't know how in the hell I work more than twice the hours of my last job but only make about $20 more.

I also got a notice that I have three months before I have to start paying back loans. Sally Mae is about to fuck me in the ass with no condom.
Can you still take some community college classes? Some of my friends were able to divert their loan repayment longer by taking a couple of cheap classes at CC while they were still following up on job leads.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
yea you don't buy skills you just auto get them from a trait spec tree and such. They are at least 2 major expansions/updates from Mordor

Have they talked about which areas they're doing next? I assume northern Gondor?

Dammit I kinda want to go back in, but I have expansions still to buy.

edit: also, people, on an unrelated note, don't watch Sword Art Online

I'm about 12 episodes in and it's not good

i don't know/remember what area's they are going to do next. Some people were talking about it in world chat like 1 1/2 weeks ago and i just don't remember all the details. I've never paid for a single expansion due to me being a lifetime member and collecting the free TP

Shy

How you been BCT. hope everyone has been good.

Happy belated welcome Adriane23, hope you have great time here.
I am ass at BB. I'm still in the 1st section cause I rush in to the battles
Join the club.
I keep trying to roll/dodge with X intead of circle then get whacked.
I will get used to it soon hopefully.
Yep, add me to the arse club.

I press X alot too lol, it's cause i had a Japanese PS3. even though i played the PC version just as much, i'm still too used to the PS3 one. :D

andthebeatgoeson

This is old (2 years) but I don't see a gaf thread. And I am shocked. But this guy:
https://youtu.be/cjjtYiNX5aQ

Took a video of another guy sexually assaulting a chick on the train, while she was sleeping. It was an 18 second clip. He claims he tried to alert the conductor.

I kind of want to give him the benefit of the doubt. He seems to not really believe he was in the wrong. That doesn't matter much except when I consider how he ended up on the news and throwing his name out there. Instead of disappearing into the background, you can find news clips with him there.

But just yelling at the assailant to 'stop' may have been enough. So, in the end, he was in the wrong. Some girl got fingered for some time because he couldn't yell stop. Seems like NY and maybe he was too shook to do something.

Booshka

Not feeling it.

Points kind of super weak.

It's really dumb, never actually seen this approach to discussing a game on youtube, recording your monitor, browsing the wikipedia page, metacritic, discussing the industry and the game, even though he never played it.

Saw it posted in the Review thread and threw it up over here, it was a dumb joke post really.

d5b3k9S.jpg

"Jamario we have to cook"

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Here's a rookie of the year vote I can get behind:

Warriors reporter Rosalyn Gold-Onwude is rookie of the year

“She’s phenomenal,” said Draymond Green. “She understands things from the athlete’s standpoint. She has a high basketball IQ.

“Her Stanford education shines through. And she has a swagger about herself.”

Gold-Onwude grew up in Queens, as anyone who has heard her say “walk” “talk” “coffee” or “ball” can tell. Her father is Nigerian, and her mother (coincidentally, VanDerveer’s freshman college roommate) is Russian-Jewish. She picked Stanford over Harvard, Vanderbilt and Maryland. She stayed five years, rehabilitating a knee injury during her second year of school but playing in the NCAA Tournament every other season.

“Going to Stanford changed my life,” she said.

She was a Pac-12 defensive player of the year and went to three Final Fours with the Cardinal. She was earning a master’s degree in the sociology of business and at the same time acquiring a bachelor’s in communications. She taught a public speaking course while still a student and was focused on life after basketball.

At her last Final Four in San Antonio, while sitting in a pregame interview session, she told the media, “I want to do what you do.”

“What stood out about Ros was how purposefully she went about her business,” said broadcaster Doris Burke, a color analyst for both men’s and women’s basketball. “She’s hungry. She wants to succeed.”

Gold-Onwude met Burke at the Final Four and took her up on an offer to learn more. She flew to Atlanta to meet Burke at an NBA game, then shadowed her at the NBA Finals. Burke has served as a mentor, teaching Gold-Onwude how to prepare for games and what it means to be a professional, and helping her make connections.

“She’s a natural,” Burke said. “She has basketball knowledge, she’s telegenic, she’s comfortable on the camera.”

Gold-Onwude didn’t want to be an end-of-the-bench player in the WNBA, so she got a job at a little start up called Tesla after college. But she also had the opportunity to do five women’s basketball games for ESPN. After that first year, she decided to pursue broadcasting and leave Tesla (some of her former colleagues have gone on to become millionaires).

“I chased broadcasting without much to base it on,” she said.

It was a stressful time in her life, trying to land a full-time broadcasting job while juggling several part-time gigs, many for no pay. She also spent time in Africa, playing for the Nigerian basketball team, which was trying to qualify for the London Olympics. And she was dealing with health issues with her mother, who was spiraling downward before being diagnosed with early onset dementia.

“I had a lot of pressure on me,” she said. “It puts a fire under your butt.”

Gold-Onwude is grateful to be living in a digital age, where there are so many opportunities to gain experience without being employed. She wrote for websites and did webcasts. She and Stanford pal Kevin Danna produced their own women’s basketball show, which was picked up by the newly formed Pac-12 network. Eventually she was hired to work games for the Pac-12 Network and later for the WNBA’s New York Liberty.

A key breakthrough came with the Warriors’ developmental league team in Santa Cruz. During pickup basketball games at Stanford, she used to guard Kirk Lacob, who was in her graduating class. Kirk’s father owns the Warriors and Kirk was general manager of the D-League team. He recommended hiring Gold-Onwude as an analyst. That stint brought her to the attention of the Warriors’ broadcast partner, Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, which was looking for a new sideline reporter.

“Her personality jumps through the screen,” said senior executive producer David Koppett. “I thought she was going to be great, but I thought there would be a learning curve. But she’s been really good right away.

“High level athletes are receptive to coaching. If we give her a pointer, she incorporates it right away.”

Sideline reporting can be a thankless job. The airtime comes in tiny slices and the questions asked are often vapid and general.

“It’s so easy to look stupid and so hard to shine,” Koppett said.

But Gold-Onwude is drawing rave reviews.

“It’s weird that people seem so impressed that I know the game,” she said. “It’s odd. The basketball is where I’m the most comfortable.”

The other part, asking a good question in the tiny amount of time allotted, has taken practice.

“She really works at it,” said Warriors associate head coach Alvin Gentry, who handles all the halftime interviews with Gold-Onwude. “She’s not just a pretty face.”

yoCJCSD.jpg

PBzijKn.jpg

5J1qY8M.jpg

bf5HjPG.jpg

Do Better

What's the word on Darkest Dungeon, fam? Been reading up on it and it looks interesting.

It's fun if you like turned based combat. It's kinda difficult at first and a bit of bad rng can get your character(s) killed. It gets easier when you level up your weapon, armor, and abilities.

Can you still take some community college classes? Some of my friends were able to divert their loan repayment longer by taking a couple of cheap classes at CC while they were still following up on job leads.
I don't much a point to take classes when I already have an AA and a BA. I guess I could try taking a C++ class for the third time, but I feel that I will wind up with the same result going off of my previous ones, plus the science I took to get my BA.

Everything will turn around eventually.

Oh, no it didn't.

Adriane23

Neo Member
I don't much a point to take classes when I already have an AA and a BA. I guess I could try taking a C++ class for the third time, but I feel that I will wind up with the same result going off of my previous ones, plus the science I took to get my BA.

Oh, no it didn't.

If you don't mind my asking, have you requested a hardship deferral? I didn't pay a dime after my first year out of school, and then before I started making a decent salary, I set up a low monthly payment plan. What kind of profession are you trying to get into?

Merc_

lmao at twitter:

Every time Raven Symone opens her mouth, I hear the whispers of a million escaping slaves getting snitched on.

She's really cooning it up today:

I never said I wasn’t black. I said I wasn’t African American and to me, that’s a difference,” she explains and mentions that she recently found out, thanks to a DNA test from Ancestry.com, that she’s actually from almost every country in Africa and Europe.

“We are a melting pot of beauty. We have to embrace the different cultures we have. And if you don’t, we’re still gonna have these problems that are blasting up everywhere. And call me hippie, call me a free-thinker, call me someone that’s looking for a better life, but I wanna be in a better world.”

She said "continent" instead of "country" which is where the mockery on twitter is mostly coming from.

Trey

She's really cooning it up today:

Not an uncommon or especially mean spirited opinion if you ask me.

Can't expect everyone to throw themselves completely behind a cause. and I don't think she's actively harming said cause, either.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom