• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmood88

I thought that the Holybaikal thread was as weird as things could get until someone in that thread posted a link to this. People are insane.

esms

I thought that the Holybaikal thread was as weird as things could get until someone in that thread posted a link to this. People are insane.

Because UTV is my passion, my hobby and my social life. I love him and I love archiving his posts. Nothing can top the feel, the incredible happiness, which I get when I see him post.

Some folks, man.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Dude even had a "this is what the ransom note would look like if I kidnapped UTV" section.

Yeah.

Crocodile

The difference between what Angelus does and what Crush did is that Angelus makes it obvious he is being sarcastic. The only reason anyone knew Crush was being sarcastic is because they were familiar with his post history and his history in the BCT. Without it, there is no hint of sarcasm and if you had given his posts to a non black poster, no one would have thought it was sarcasm.

I mean I can agree than Crushdance's execution of the concept was somewhat lacking in that particular thread but its not like people still don't still take AE's sarcastic posts at face value. I dunno, I just find the whole "sarcastic post in the midst of volatile topic" tired and over-used. Its funny if used sparingly, its obnoxious when used all the time. Just my opinion though.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Man to pimp a butterfly is astounding. Definitely need to have more time to listen and reflect to truly absorb it. First listen some standouts are Wesley's Theory, King Kunta, These Walls, Blacker the Berry, You Ain't Gotta Lie. I don't know what to think about the tupac interview.

RedSwirl

When Moses first get's to Midian, The Ten Commandments turns into a harem anime for 20 minutes with Jethro's daughters as the cast.

Trey

I found Furious 7 mediocre. Horrible dialogue (even by action movie standards) leads the way, flanked by boring characters and nonexistent stakes. The sole boon of the film is the flashy set pieces that look cool the first time you see it. I doubt I'll be as impressed upon rewatch, if I ever find myself with less than nothing to do.

"Best action movie in decades" it ain't. I don't even think it's the best film in the franchise.

Cute sendoff for Paul at the end.

royalan

Get caught telling your cousin how much hotter she is than your GF and then wonder why your gf immediately dumps you, bruhs.

Chill and Empathy are becoming lost arts

I empathize with the dude, as he's obviously lost in the wilderness, but it's not like his girl was wrong to do what she did. Sometime you need to back up and be just you for a while. Find yourself. Dig deep and see what comes out. Stay out of relationships.

Slayven

I empathize with the dude, as he's obviously lost in the wilderness, but it's not like his girl was wrong to do what she did. Sometime you need to back up and be just you for a while. Find yourself. Dig deep and see what comes out. Stay out of relationships.

Yeah sit in a barber shop a few hours(or if you getting the MHWilliams special, a few days) and do the opposite of what those guys are saying.

Yeah sit in a barber shop a few hours(or if you getting the MHWilliams special, a few days) and do the opposite of what those guys are saying.

I can't even go back there. I want to support my local black people, but this Vietnamese lady down the road does it right in 10 minutes. Minh is fucking real. Got me up in the barber like:

cogic-praise-break-o.gif

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So the oldies radio station I grew up with shifted a couple years ago to being the "old school" station, playing mainly funk, soul/R&B, and pop from the 70s to early 90s. Stuff ranging from Earth Wind & Fire to Prince to Bobby Brown.

Then a couple months ago a new station popped up declaring themselves the "throwback" station, and all they play is hip-hop from the late 80s to mid 90s - it pretty much sounds like what the main hip-hop station constantly aired in that timeframe (so the major nationwide hits of the time along with a lot of NorCal stuff). Driving home I heard them play ODB, LL Cool J, E-40, Lighter Shade of Brown, Master Ace, and Paperboy.

So in a decade or so, what will the label be for the 00s era stations as they blast 50 Cent tracks?

Slayven

I can't even go back there. I want to support my local black people, but this Vietnamese lady down the road does it right in 10 minutes. Minh is fucking real. Got me up in the barber like:

cogic-praise-break-o.gif
Having a good hair dude is better than having a good local councilman.

Not the first time quick and cheap wins out against true art.

I always remember the cheap, good, and fast chart. And how you can only have 2 out of 3

cogic-praise-break-o.gif

Last time I was in a black barbershop, it took an almost 45 minutes (from the point I sat down in the chair), and the dude stopped to order food with some others. Most unprofessional shit in my life

Last time I was in a black barbershop, it took an almost 45 minutes (from the point I sat down in the chair), and the dude stopped to order food with some others. Most unprofessional shit in my life

That's not unprofessional. That's the profession.

I grew up with a dude named Mr. Frosty. That mofo would steal 4 hours of my Saturday. Only guy in the shop, would spend hours talking to people. Leave for 15-20 minutes in the middle of a cut to get food next door. The line was clean, but goddamn.

That's the height of black barbers. They don't just give us cuts. They give us experiences.

Slayven

I grew up with a dude named Mr. Frosty. That mofo would steal 4 hours of my Saturday. Only guy in the shop, would spend hours talking to people. Leave for 15-20 minutes in the middle of a cut to get food next door. The line was clean, but goddamn.

That's the height of black barbers. They don't just give us cuts. They give us experiences.

Remember going to barber shop as kid and getting that board across the chair? Did getting your skull burned by that blue stuff?

Remember going to barber shop as kid and getting that board across the chair? Did getting your skull burned by that blue stuff?

As a kid I got my hair cut by my parents until I started noticing how nice good shape ups looked. Now, I'm an adult and shave my own hair because I can't justify paying $20 just for straight edges and an hour of my time gone to niggadry

But I do remember that stuff that burned, and how the razer for shape ups was always super sharp. But that cooling spray they put on afterwards felt nice though

I love going to black barbershops but I'll be damned if yall ain't lying.

Last time I was there, we were having a conversation about the legalities of backpage women. Some dude swore up and down that the police can't legally set up a sting operation because "Dats entrapment!!!"

Shit was hilarious but took like 2 hours of my life.

Numb

As a kid I got my hair cut by my parents until I started noticing how nice good shape ups looked. Now, I'm an adult and shave my own hair because I can't justify paying $20 just for straight edges and an hour of my time gone to niggadry

But I do remember that stuff that burned, and how the razer for shape ups was always super sharp. But that cooling spray they put on afterwards felt nice though

I basically never went to a barber shop after i came here. I can cut my own damn hair instead of paying some dude who went to school for it.

jmood88

Black barbershops are hilarious. For most of my life growing up, I would get my hair cut by this dude named Frank. We never knew when this nigga's shop would be open. He never had any posted hours, it was basically just whenever he decided he needed to make money during the week.

RedSwirl

Having a good hair dude is better than having a good local councilman.

This is the truth.

There are like three Asian-run barberships within 15 minutes of me, but I still gotta drive 45 minutes to get to the one dude I trust. I'm not saying I don't like the other ones, I'm just not willing to risk it yet. Luckily I managed to find one who is disciplined enough to get me in and out of the chair in under an hour. I don't have to plan my entire day around a haircut, just most of it.

I had another dude who was probably a more talented barber, but he was the kind people in this thread are talking about. Couldn't even be sure when he'd show up (despite having to make appointments).

I've consistently gone to black barbershops, but I've never had anyone stop in the middle of my cut, nor have I had a cut go over like 20 minutes. They have conversations while cutting my hair, and shit's never not hilarious... but it still gets done right.

Village

You know the struggle.

Right down the street and will give me the rightest cut.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Bleh, thread I was gonna post this in got locked.
I think this is closest match I could find for a place for this.
::

The problem with "affirmative action" isn't at the college level.
Its at the elementary level.

When a school in a lower socioeconomic location is constantly funded less than one in a rich kid neighborhood, then the rich kids are going to constantly be better educated and therefore better qualified for college.
My middle and high school were both in low economic areas and they were basically day cares for almost-adults.

When you have kids from low income family's and you doom them from succes, you basically guarantee them as future failures.

Instead of having affirmative action, we should have equal action before the fact.

:::

This was for a thread about a rich Indian kid who got into college by portraying himself as a black kid. He had a low gpa

Sou Da

There is nothing better than a dominican barber who knows how to shape up your hair with a razor blade

Nothing

I had a dude who did that and to this day I can't remember who, only went to the shop once.

Also people think Mindy Kaling is funny? I always thought she thought she was funny and just managed to get the pull to make her own mastubatory sitcom.

Bleh, thread I was gonna post this in got locked.
I think this is closest match I could find for a place for this.
::

The problem with "affirmative action" isn't at the college level.
Its at the elementary level.

When a school in a lower socioeconomic location is constantly funded less than one in a rich kid neighborhood, then the rich kids are going to constantly be better educated and therefore better qualified for college.
My middle and high school were both in low economic areas and they were basically day cares for almost-adults.

When you have kids from low income family's and you doom them from succes, you basically guarantee them as future failures.

Instead of having affirmative action, we should have equal action before the fact.

:::

This was for a thread about a rich Indian kid who got into college by portraying himself as a black kid. He had a low gpa

Last week, they literally released more research that showed that poor people's brains are literally different. Poverty fucks you up.

Researchers have long known that children from families with higher socioeconomic status do better on a number of cognitive measures, including IQ scores, reading and language batteries, and tests of so-called executive function—the ability to focus attention on a task. More recently, some studies have found that key brain areas in children of higher socioeconomic status—such as those involved in memory or language—tend to be either larger in volume, more developed, or both.

Parental education—the number of years that parents had gone to school—showed a linear correlation with overall cortical surface area, especially for regions of the brain involved in language, reading, and executive functions. As a rough approximation, the children of parents with only a high school education (12 years of education or less) had 3% less cortical surface area than children whose parents had attended universities (15 years or more), Noble and Sowell told Science.

The team also found a significant correlation between cortical surface area and family income levels, which ranged from less than $5000 per year to more than $300,000. This was not a linear correlation, however. Instead, at the very lowest income levels, each incremental increase in income led to relatively greater increases in cortical surface area, whereas the influence of income tended to level off at higher levels. Nevertheless, Noble and Sowell say, the difference between lower and higher incomes is dramatic: Children from families making $25,000 per year or less have cortical surface areas roughly 6% smaller than those making more than $150,000.

The team also found that cortical surface area was related to performance on at least some cognitive tests, especially those measuring executive functions and memory. Finally, race and ethnicity had no effect on any of these correlations. “The links between socioeconomic status and brain structure were the same across individuals, regardless of racial background,” Noble says.

Also people think Mindy Kaling is funny? I always thought she thought she was funny and just managed to get the pull to make her own mastubatory sitcom.

As I said yesterday, it's just a matter of hammering that nail for long enough. Confidence can get you through a lot of shit if you're relentless. That's where "fake it till you make it" came from. (Never watched her show, so I have no opinion on Kaling.)

jmood88

There is nothing better than a dominican barber who knows how to shape up your hair with a razor blade

Nothing
My cousin's husband cuts my hair now and the nigga is like a lineup scientist. He damn near pulls out those magnifying glasses that people use when they repaint toys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom