• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmood88

are people bitching about ben urich yet?
Surprisingly, it hasn't been that big of a deal. There have been a couple people complaining that the actor didn't bring certain characteristics from the comics (which they didn't name but we know what they mean) but I've pretty much seen universal praise for him.

Crocodile

So is anything (not adapted from a manga) going on in anime these days or is it all half naked women/underage girls now?

I don't understand anime anymore. I really don't.

It is a struggling format that plays to the creepy fans with disposable income

The money is in catering to the creeps now. I don't really fuck with it much anymore.

Not that anything MHWilliams said is wrong in his info dump but I'd like to understand why when people see shitty anime(s) X, their first thought is "fuck anime" instead of "fuck these shows in particular". The existence of like Honey Boo Boo doesn't negate the existence of like Game of Thrones (or insert show with a lot of critical acclaim here). It reeks of ignorance and really confuses me.

It didn't make any sense. He would've solved every problem in the movie but they just left him there.

It's what happens when somebody writes themselves into a corner. You need an excuse to write themselves out of said corner

Those gifs are pure gold.

They're from a Coli thread talking about Michelle Beadle being a hypocrite for calling out Floyd Mayweather for domestic abuse while her favorite wrestler is Stone Cold Steve Austin.

sSauNqA.gif

are people bitching about ben urich yet?

People too hyped for that grit to go into it yet. (The guy playing Urich is pretty good.)

I don't even think people realize that Rosario Dawson is a mix of two existing characters from the comics. (Night Nurse and a Luke Cage love interest.) Or the old white dude is supposed to be the Owl.

G-Fex

Fassbender and J Law have no chemistry

My problem with race bending comic characters, that there usually a character of that race already created.

Shit and the next movie focuses even more on them? Man.

it really didn't feel like a x-men movie, I guess that's what the future scenes were for but still.

Slayven

Not that anything MHWilliams said is wrong in his info dump but I'd like to understand why when people see shitty anime(s) X, their first thought is "fuck anime" instead of "fuck these shows in particular". The existence of like Honey Boo Boo doesn't negate the existence of like Game of Thrones (or insert show with a lot of critical acclaim here). It reeks of ignorance and really confuses me.

It's what happens when somebody writes themselves into a corner. You need an excuse to write themselves out of said corner
I think it is because that is what the majority of anime is getting produced nowadays, AND from that sampling what gets incensed

Kreed

Saw Dave Chapelle live yesterday. Dude still has it.

Maybe you misquoted me, but I was asking a serious question. I read a lot of manga, so I recognize anime manga adaptions are diverse. But I don't see a lot on the "anime only" side these days that isn't filled with questionable amounts of fan service.

ReiGun

Game of Thrones back tonight. After a year of starvation, I get to eat again.

I'm not going to lie to y'll, i feel like most anime these days is for social misfits that either cn't get laid or never have been.
As a social misfit that can't laid, nah b. A lot of that shit is just creepy and weird as fuck regardless your personal social standing.

On the flip side, Jojo and Kuroko da Gawd are saving anime for me right now.

DominoKid

Game of Thrones back tonight. After a year of starvation, I get to eat again.

As a social misfit that can't laid, nah b. A lot of that shit is just creepy and weird as fuck regardless your personal social standing.

On the flip side, Jojo and Kuroko da Gawd are saving anime for me right now.

Kekkai Sensen is that new shit. BONES got one there.

Crud

Banned
Do not go see the pics in the Man uses Katana to stop home invasion. NSFW/WOW! thread that is now closed. I can not unsee what I have just seen omg.

Numb

Lots of dudes with Katanas nowadays. That white guy at the train who calls himself Kairo Seijuro made me lose it. Now my Bloodborne guy is called Kairo Seijuro.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Stuck sick at home with a cold, woke up at 11 AM and the family had ready left to do errands. While they were out the kids convinced the wife that they needed to pick up some Popeyes spicy strips for my lunch. They have been trained well.

Watching Need for Speed...what am I watching?

This Imogen Poots girl is cute though, love her eyes. Fucking Aaron Paul who plays the main character...all I see is Jessie from Breaking Bad.

Crocodile

I think it is because that is what the majority of anime is getting produced nowadays, AND from that sampling what gets incensed

I'm not even sure its the majority (like hell I'm going to do a count though) but regardless Sturgeons' Law applies nonetheless - the vast majority of X ain't shit. I just know I if I went about judging the quality of an entire medium (let's say video games since this is a video game forum) based on the worst of it (while often not even being aware of the quality works) I'd probably be called an idiot :p

If one is ignorant of something that's fine but usually when I don't know something and I know I don't know something I don't pretend I do. I either ask questions to try to learn or I stay out of the conversation. "I can tell with certainty that all anime is shit despite my only exposure being some creepy Vita game and/or a shitty show made for middle school boys" is just intellectually dishonest.That's really my only issue. There's a lot of good stuff out there (and not just "good for anime" or "if you ignore this about it") but most of the people who make the previous statements both don't know and often make no effort to learn.

Saw Dave Chapelle live yesterday. Dude still has it.

Maybe you misquoted me, but I was asking a serious question. I read a lot of manga, so I recognize anime manga adaptions are diverse. But I don't see a lot on the "anime only" side these days that isn't filled with questionable amounts of fan service.

A) Lucky. Must be hard/expensive to get tickets to his shows I assume?

B)
Sorry you were only talking about anime-original projects? My bad. I haven't really kept track of specifically what shows were originals vs. adaptions so I'm not sure I can answer that question right now. I will say that I thought Shirobako, Gundam Build Fighters, Death Parade and Space Dandy (especially Space Dandy) were all released in the last year, all are originals and all were fantastic. So anime original productions are probably in a good place.

Kreed

A) Lucky. Must be hard/expensive to get tickets to his shows I assume?

Tickets were around 60 dollars depending on where you were sitting, but you had to get them before most of them got snatched up by people reselling them at double+ the price on sites like Stubhub.

B) Sorry you were only talking about anime-original projects? My bad. I haven't really kept track of specifically what shows were originals vs. adaptions so I'm not sure I can answer that question right now. I will say that I thought Shirobako, Gundam Build Fighters, Death Parade and Space Dandy (especially Space Dandy) were all released in the last year, all are originals and all were fantastic. So anime original productions are probably in a good place.

Space Dandy was the last original I checked out (along with Kill La Kill, which unfortunately went the fan service route, even if it had "story reasons"). Season 2 in particular was good. Never heard of those other three but I'll look into them.

Sou Da

Tickets were around 60 dollars depending on where you were sitting, but you had to get them before most of them got snatched up by people reselling them at double+ the price on sites like Stubhub.

Space Dandy was the last original I checked out (along with Kill La Kill, which unfortunately went the fan service route, even if it had "story reasons"). Season 2 in particular was good. Never heard of those other three but I'll look into them.

Gonna warn you, Build Fighters is Gundam Yugioh with a big chested mother.

It's still probably the best 'toy commercial' anime out there but I'm just letting you know what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom