• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I liked attack of the show when Kevin Rose was still involved. Everything else on G4 was incredibly cringeworthy, the kind of thing that makes you want to disassociate from video gaming as a hobby as much as possible.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I don't know about rude but it's weird to take pictures of anybody without their permission, especially random people. But hey, if you're sneaky about it, then you're the only one who has to know how creepy you are.
Yeah trying not to be a creep. Ugh

G-Fex

how hard is it to make this into a movie?
7IzSpkum.jpg

Instead of some confusing time travel over dramatic clusterfuck with bad costumes?

what gives?

Jacir

I'm not even on the damn sidelines. That thread isn't being opened.

Spoiler-i fucking opened it, read first page then told myself to stop.

royalan

that Olivia Munn thread is amazing in all the worst ways

I stan Olivia Munn,

Nerds hate her because somehow she tricked them into thinking she was a Real Nerd, and somehow any of that fucking matters, and she keeps getting work and keeps getting bigger despite how STEAM PRESSED nerds are over it.

You gotta respect someone with the ability to keep people that bothered over their every move.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
I swear online dating apps are downright freaking depressing if you are not white. must be freaking awesome being a white gay man since the majority of everyone wants them on every app ever made.

seems everywhere I go everyone just wants to date white guys.

Slayven

I stan Olivia Munn,

Nerds hate her because somehow she tricked them into thinking she was a Real Nerd, and somehow any of that fucking matters, and she keeps getting work and keeps getting bigger despite how STEAM PRESSED nerds are over it.

You gotta respect someone with the ability to keep people that bothered over their every move.

If you don't have haters, then you are doing it wrong.

I stan Olivia Munn,

Are you positive about that or are you just making assumptions with no base?

If you don't have haters, then you are doing it wrong.

That's the one of the dumbass shits I hate hearing from the black community. I remember when Huey acknowledged that shit when Riley said it.

Village

I stan Olivia Munn,

Maybe shes bad at acting

Slayven

That's the one of the dumbass shits I hate hearing from the black community. I remember when Huey acknowledged that shit when Riley said it.

In the age where people will tweet you a death threat because they are killing time before their hot pocket is done, I think we should learn to just laugh at some shit.

Village

What are you talking about?

Most of the disdain i have seen for olivia munn is she's not that good at acting. I never thought much of her, im sure what you are saying holds weight ask morgan webb. I am just interested in seeing it

*avtually reads thread*

Huh...

royalan

Maybe shes bad at acting

....only she was lauded by fans and critics alike for The Newsroom, her last major project, specifically for her acting.

People who still question Olivia Munn as an actress are either delusional at this point or haven't seen anything she's done since her geek days. She's a good actress (could potentially be great if she maintains this momentum).

Village

Prior to Newsroom, I might have agreed. After? Nah, she's got something.

At least enough for the 10 minutes she'll get onscreen with 4 lines, because it's a Singer X-Men film.

I dont think much of her she was aiight on aots.

I just didnt think peeps still had that much left over g4 rage

DominoKid

No more wack than January Jones or J-Law though. I'd be much more worried about the writing than who's actually reciting the lines.

She easily the worst actress of the 3. She aint particularly funny. And she's not dumb hot like JJ imo. Definitely wacker than either one of them.

Credit to her for getting this far from G4 cause I figured she'd be "remember that one hot chick on G4" status by now.

royalan

She plays herself, just like Nic Cage or Ben Affleck.

No she doesn't. Like, at all.

Watching one episode of Attack of the Show when she was on it would show that Olivia Munn herself is very loud, goofy, and lacks a filter. That's what made her performance as Sloan Sabbith all the more impressive to people who actually knew who she was. They couldn't have picked a character more unlike Munn if they tried, and yet she nailed it.

She plays herself, just like Nic Cage or Ben Affleck.

*shrug* Works for them.

Like, I don't think she's a great choice for Psylocke, but I also don't think she's the worst choice that the thread seems to be pointing at. She's a person, Psylocke in an X-Men movie is pretty much a character you're going to create whole cloth... eh. It's not like Psylocke is a deep font of great characterization. As people pointed out, she's only been worthwhile in the last... 5 years? When Remender's run started? So, more power to her.

Maybe shes bad at acting

People have been hating on Olivia Munn since she made some faux pas in her G4 gaming interviews, essentially "revealing" that she wasn't a "real nerd/gamer." IIRC this was after she left Attack of the Show but was still doing G4 coverage at conferences and such. It was before she had any widely visible acting roles (though it should be noted she's been acting since 2005 or so).

Before people realized that she wasn't really a "geeky gamer girl," she was well liked.

royalan

People have been hating on Olivia Munn since she made some faux pas in her G4 gaming interviews, essentially "revealing" that she wasn't a "real nerd/gamer." IIRC this was after she left Attack of the Show but was still doing G4 coverage at conferences and such. It was before she had any widely visible acting roles (though it should be noted she's been acting since 2005 or so).

Before people realized that she wasn't really a "geeky gamer girl," she was well liked.

Yep, this is origin of the Olivia Munn hate (although, I'd say the very beginning of it sparked when she released her book, and there were several incorrect nerd references. That's when I remember the boards at the time starting to talk about her not being a Real Nerd).

Then there was the way she left the show. Which, yeaahhh, she could have been a bit more professional about it. But can you blame her? Anybody with eyes could see how doomed G4 was, so of course you're going to jump ship while you still have prospects.

Attracting nerds is all she did on AoTS.

foh

...and to do that she kind of had to exhibit a personality. She wasn't just a robot jumping into a pool of chocolate pudding. Did you watch the show at all? Because saying that Olivia Munn is anything like Sloan Sabbith is pretty nuts if you know ANYTHING about her.

Here's a highlight reel of some of Olivia's most popular moments on the show. I dare to watch this and claim she was just playing herself on the show.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom