• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayven

Nope.

This going to be some old man yelling at clouds type shit i tell you. At least in slayven's case

Mainstream's tolerence for spastic bullshit is died or dying. If it was Cable and Deadpool or X-force I would be with you. But pure uncut Waypool? Word of mouth will kill it

Slayven

*looks at the internet*

You are nuts.

This strait up the raramblings of an oldman refusing to accept where entertainment has gone.

Folks are still using the internet as a gage for mass market appeal? The Internet love the Wachowskis and Ridley Scott too.

You are in an echo chamber

I figured I'd share anyway

Ask Obama how the wealthy aid repression, or about the wealthy paid recession
How do you overcome organized selections of failure
Everyone's expecting you to end up a danger to society
Like somewhere in here I'm hiding a fiery attitude being black
How can I overcome a disposition I seemingly never lacked
As a matter of fact it is my skin color that's holding me down
You see me blacker than coal with the lips of a clown
The reality is I'm only as low as my soul goes
Let each blow uplift me as a black man let my soul glow
Curl and contort me into something better than they could ever be
Black skin, a dark crown, the epitome of kings and queens
And if ever we see equality we won't dream anymore
We reach for the ceiling we had cause we're chained up on the floor

Punctuation is all off but I'm sure you can get the flow.
Lol I should stop drinking

I wasn't unemployed when I was on them but don't put anything or put other.

Village

Folks are still using the internet as a gage for mass market appeal? The Internet love the Wachowskis and Ridley Scott too.

You are in an echo chamber

Yes because for a lot of things,it is.

I can mention things that arent relevant to the argument too.

Markiplier

Pokemon

Those two things mean the movies totally going to do well guys.

Yep thats totally an argument guys

Slayven

Yes because for a lot of things,it is.

I can mention things that arent relevant to the argument too.

Markiplier

Pokemon

Those two things mean the movies totally going to do well guys.

Yep thats totally an argument guys

We will agree to disagree, But I will have my pot of tea ready

There's a sci-fi/fantasy film festival going on for about a week now here in Amsterdam, imaginefilmfestival.nl/, but I haven't seen a thing yet due to being broke as hell. I'm getting paid tomorrow however and I'm planning to see Ex Machina, Lost River (speaking of Lars and the Real Girl), and maybe a random sci-fi film to surprise me. Has anyone seen these? There's also a Giger exhibition going on for that OG Alien art. Anime is also part of the program ("When Marnie Was There") but that's always a hit or miss experience for me, I'll have to think about seeing that one.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
But no really, what do you put down on dating websites if you're unemployed?

I mean, I could just put down "freelance writer," but come on. That's more like "a thing I'm trying to do" rather than "a thing that's currently getting me gainful employment."
You can put whatever you want. Seriously, I've seen al kinds of things, some shit you wouldn't even believe. Some chick thought she was unofficially qualified games developer and listed herself as having had 7 years of public relations experience simply because she was a mod on an IGN board.

Crocodile

I don't have a horse in this race but this Deadpool debate seems like prime betting material. Do people still do avatar bets around these parts?

I don't have a horse in this race but this Deadpool debate seems like prime betting material. Do people still do avatar bets around these parts?

They most certainly do. What were you thinking of in terms of the bet? I don't have a horse in this race, but I'm interested in the betting terms.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Only the nerdiest of fans are going to sit through 90 minutes of formal shit and fourth wall breaking. And Ryan Reynolds is not funny. Is going to have a decent opening and zero legs

it can easily do turtles numbers. dont underestimate the shit people will watch. that, and what was the last commercial comic movie that didnt do well?

Kreed

Only the nerdiest of fans are going to sit through 90 minutes of formal shit and fourth wall breaking. And Ryan Reynolds is not funny. Is going to have a decent opening and zero legs

What's decent in comic book terms ("The Avengers" being high and "Elektra" being low)? Ghost Rider 2 numbers?

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Fifty's not so bad after all!

FiftyCentFirstPitchFail.gif

041315_lester_gif_wild_med_res_3f1e4j3o.gif

What's decent in comic book terms ("The Avengers" being high and "Elektra" being low)? Ghost Rider 2 numbers?

I would guess 10 -15 million in opening weekend numbers. It won't touch Ghost Rider 1 (50m opening - 220m total) or Ghost Rider 2 (40m opening - 130m total)

I will speak my last piece on Deadpool and then i'll wait and see but it doesn't bode well in my opinion:

Strike 1: Deadpool is obscure to most people

Foul tip: Doesn't have a big name comic book star to prop it up and bring in new fans.

Strike 2: It's R rated, no kids.

Strike 3: Ryan Reynolds has bombed at every other attempt to portray a character in a comic book move, including previously playing this exact character. (X-Men Origins:Wolverine, R.I.P.D., Blade: Trinity, Green Lantern)

Slayven

I will speak my last piece on Deadpool and then i'll wait and see but it doesn't bode well in my opinion:

Foul tip: Doesn't have a big name comic book star to prop it up and bring in new fans.

Strike 3: Ryan Reynolds has bombed at every other attempt to portray a character in a comic book move, including previously playing this exact character. (X-Men Origins:Wolverine, R.I.P.D., Blade: Trinity, Green Lantern)

2825216-spider_man_wolverine_fist_bump_aug2011.jpg

Imm0rt4l

I don't think strike 3 is Ryan's fault. And I doubt that obscurity of the character matters that much considering the character is very outlandish and it's a marvel property. If Deadpool fails just on being obscure then there probably isn't much hope for black panther. I'll concede strike 2 though.

Merc_

I get the feeling that y'all want Deadpool to do poorly.

Not that I really blame you for feeling that way. Deadpool's shtick alone gets pretty annoying really fast.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I get the feeling that y'all want Deadpool to do poorly.

Not that I really blame you for feeling that way. Deadpool's shtick alone gets pretty annoying really fast.

The only reason I want it to bomb is so I see less Deadpool and less Deadpool fans

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Sooperkool is right. I have nothing against Deadpool though and if the movie defies the odds to become a hit (either critically or economically) then I'll be happy for it.

Obscurity doesn't really fly as a point anymore thanks to GotG and Ant-Man. And I'd argue that Reynolds' previous performance as "Deadpool" isn't really his fault.

Not sure how the R-rating will work out though. Time will tell.

Parallax

Obscurity doesn't really fly as a point anymore thanks to GotG and Ant-Man. And I'd argue that Reynolds' previous performance as "Deadpool" isn't really his fault.

yeah, i forgot about the R-rating. that could eat into sales.

The thing about that R is its a double edged sword, you can't really "do" Deadpool and it not be an R. Deadpool is like Lobo to me, just some really juvenile ass stuff, which has its place but I'm not paying 12 bucks to watch 90 minutes of that.

harSon

Banned

Well, Marvel is the brand now - as opposed to the characters themselves. As long as Marvel's name is in front of it, and the film in question looks moderately decent - it'll probably do well.

Parallax

The thing about that R is its a double edged sword, you can't really "do" Deadpool and it not be an R. Deadpool is like Lobo to me, just some really juvenile ass stuff, which has its place but I'm not paying 12 bucks to watch 90 minutes of that.

daniel way has done a lot of fucking damage to the character, but brian posehn and garry duggan have done a good job or returning some of the depth to his character. especially with the last issue before secret wars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom