• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

royalan

examples?
CPBfG.png

Look it up. I ain't making this up, and neither is it new. Don't be getting on me because none of you have actually paid attention to the words coming out of her mouth.

tIiJWCb.gif

akira28

Look it up. I ain't making this up, and neither is it new. Don't be getting on me because none of you have actually paid attention to the words coming out of her mouth.

we know Kidada is the cool one, but Rashida has admitted her "ethnicness" so give her some small credit.

Kidada's the cute one too.

Can someone give me real dating advice here? I mean on terms of ethnic stuff.

I've had two relationships so far, both with the whitest and blondest Dutch girls you could imagine. Both ended up with me feeling miserably out of place. Too big of a culture clash, never ever feeling accepted even though the parents and the friends are very nice to you, you always sense that the dad really fucking hates you. Both my exes also said something in the spirit of "I love how you're not like the other brown ass fuckers" okay she didn't call it that but that's basically what she meant. It's supposed to be flattering? I don't know. I've never understood this.

I unfortunately don't live in a very diverse environment. The whitest neighbourhood of the city where my student dorm happens to be. All 19 roommates are Dutch/White and so are the people at University. It goes as far that I sometimes actually wish I had black or friends from my own peoples.

As of now, I'm getting swayed into yet another loop of dates with another white chick. Very cool, of course, pretty, and whatnot. My question (and fear) is that should I weigh in the ethnic stuff from my previous experiences too much into this, or give every one a fair chance? After all, I don't want to be the one discriminating. I just don't think I can take another heartbreak.

royalan

I've had two relationships so far, both with the whitest and blondest Dutch girls you could imagine. Both ended up with me feeling miserably out of place. Too big of a culture clash, never ever feeling accepted even though the parents and the friends are very nice to you, you always sense that the dad really fucking hates you. Both my exes also said something in the spirit of "I love how you're not like the other brown ass fuckers" okay she didn't call it that but that's basically what she meant. It's supposed to be flattering? I don't know. I've never understood this.

No the HELL it is not.

As of now, I'm getting swayed into yet another loop of dates with another white chick. Very cool, of course, pretty, and whatnot. My question (and fear) is that should I weigh in the ethnic stuff from my previous experiences too much into this, or give every one a fair chance? After all, I don't want to be the one discriminating. I just don't think I can take another heartbreak.

I'm going to be real: Do you NEED a girl that damn badly? Do you need to be in a relationship so badly that you're willing to put up with borderline-racist assholes who go out of their way to devalue you? Can't you just...not date until you find someone you're truly compatible with? Someone you're not going to have to put up with racist bullshit with? Is the thirst THAT real?

Because if you keep putting yourself out there with these worthless people, eventually you're going to start thinking you don't deserve better, and you'll settle. And you'll be yet another one of those sad, pathetic dudes dating a chick who practically hates you but is afraid to admit why.

No the HELL it is not.

I'm going to be real: Do you NEED a girl that damn badly? Do you need to be in a relationship so badly that you're willing to put up with borderline-racist assholes who go out of their way to devalue you? Can't you just...not date until you find someone you're truly compatible with? Someone you're not going to have to put up with racist bullshit with? Is the thirst THAT real?

Because if you keep putting yourself out there with these worthless people, eventually you're going to start thinking you don't deserve better, and you'll settle. And you'll be yet another one of those sad, pathetic dudes dating a chick who practically hates you but is afraid to admit why.

preach

No the HELL it is not.

Agreed on all of this. Patience is super helpful. I avoided relationships for two years because the area I was at was too volatile to get one that would work. I'm not even the "get married and have kids" type, but an unhealthy relationship will mess you up no matter what stage it's at.

Because I'm over her slut-shaming female popstars when she herself isn't above flaunting her nu-black breasts in the latest Hipster "This Shit Ain't Funny" masterpiece.

And I'm tired of her acting like anybody should give a shit about her opinions on the industry because of who her daddy is.

I just don't see it for her.

X5gAiJP.gif

Oh, and I agree with this too. A pretty face only goes so far.

Kreed

I unfortunately don't live in a very diverse environment. The whitest neighbourhood of the city where my student dorm happens to be. All 19 roommates are Dutch/White and so are the people at University. It goes as far that I sometimes actually wish I had black or friends from my own peoples.

Royalan gave good advice, but I'm going to add that you should always do this/don't bring baggage with you from past experiences.

Your situation sounds like the people around you don't have much experience interacting with black people, so things like what you described with your previous exes are going to happen more often than not unfortunately. So unless you can move elsewhere where black people aren't unicorns, I'd be patient like Royalan said.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Royalan gave good advice, but I'm going to add that you should always do this/don't bring baggage with you from past experiences.

Your situation sounds like the people around you don't have much experience interacting with black people, so things like what you described with your previous exes are going to happen more often than not unfortunately. So unless you can move elsewhere where black people aren't unicorns, I'd be patient like Royalan said.

I wrote a long ass response, but this kind of sums it up. The people around you don't have much experience with Black people so you are kind of the one disproving stereotypes and stigmas. She could have phrased what she said alot better, but I am sure you know what she meant. She had all these black guy stereotypes she had seen and heard about, but you disproved them. Hopefully not in EVERY way.

Forget relationships, you have to feel a bit out of place at most times being the only black guy in most social settings. That's rough. It would be nice if people didn't bring their stereotypes and biases to the table when meeting someone, but we know that is how it is.

what city is this anyways?

but yeah i dont think those girls mean it, just lack of knowing etc etc

Young Magus

No the HELL it is not.

The realist shit I've read in a while. Also something I myself needed to read.
#thanksroy
Edit:
man, anime gaf going ham in that Atlus thread

Link?

No the HELL it is not.

Preach...hell I'd go so far and say that it's not even flattering when sistas do this, it's that type of baseless stereotyping that's pretty damn sad to hear nowadays.

I don't have much more to add except to just smash and level up to something else lol.

No the HELL it is not.

Just quoting this so that I'll be able to look back on it in the future. Thank you. In an interracial relationship myself and while we are both happy, I do have to remind myself of words like these when I deal with her disaster of a mother.

I still get the "you talk so white"/"you're so well spoken" from her female cousins, though. I'm not sure how to deal with those comments without causing a scene.

It's interesting that when I was younger, I loved compliments like that. I guess I just didn't understand what the words meant until I got older.

Just quoting this so that I'll be able to look back on it in the future. Thank you. In an interracial relationship myself and while we are both happy, I do have to remind myself of words like these when I deal with her disaster of a mother.

I still get the "you talk so white"/"you're so well spoken" from her female cousins, though. I'm not sure how to deal with those comments without causing a scene.

It's interesting that when I was younger, I loved compliments like that. I guess I just didn't understand what the words meant until I got older.

Fuck it, I'd cause a scene, and if my girl was truly down she'd be causing a scene right the hell along with me.

Please don't tell me they really said white

Please don't tell me they really said white
You know they did. I've only met the two cousins last year and I don't see them often but when I heard it at first, I laughed it off. Chinese-American family, by the way.

For the most part, though? The family's real cool with me other than her batshit crazy mother whose had problems before me and will continue to have problems even if I was a different race.

"So are you."
I think next time, I'll just make it clear that I'm not happy with remarks like that. I hate it when I should have said something at first but let it slide. Big character flaw on my part.

Crocodile

We always get stuff mad late. Birdman just came out last week lol

And look at this sad shit

Is that Scarlet Witch at the very bottom? Why isn't she up there with the rest of the heroes? Weird as fuck (though maybe a spoiler for the movie if you know what to look for?).

No the HELL it is not.

I wrote a long ass response, but this kind of sums it up. The people around you don't have much experience with Black people so you are kind of the one disproving stereotypes and stigmas. She could have phrased what she said alot better, but I am sure you know what she meant. She had all these black guy stereotypes she had seen and heard about, but you disproved them. Hopefully not in EVERY way.

Forget relationships, you have to feel a bit out of place at most times being the only black guy in most social settings. That's rough. It would be nice if people didn't bring their stereotypes and biases to the table when meeting someone, but we know that is how it is.

what city is this anyways?

but yeah i dont think those girls mean it, just lack of knowing etc etc
Shit, guys. Thanks for the real talk. I will take these advices to heart. I've been a loner most of my youth and adolescence (25 now), so yeah I could do without a girlfriend for sure, but it's so tempting every time - mostly because sometimes I genuinely think that if I don't settle soon enough I'm gonna be that guy that's still a bachelor at 35. I know; that doesn't make sense.

Royalan you nailed it because I've actually had long stretches in my life where I thought I indeed wasn't worth it.

Shit, this even reasonates with the one and only advice my mother once gave me before my first girlfriend:"Don't let them break you".

Anyway, I won't shun this girl for now, but I think I can definitely live with the idea that I don't really need anyone right now. I might update you if this goes anywhere.

Oh and this place is Amsterdam. Forget everything you think you know about it. That gentrifying issue you've got over there? Multiply that in my case. This city hasn't been this white since WW II.

Kreed

Shit, guys. Thanks for the real talk. I will take these advices to heart. I've been a loner most of my youth and adolescence (25 now), so yeah I could do without a girlfriend for sure, but it's so tempting every time - mostly because sometimes I genuinely think that if I don't settle soon enough I'm gonna be that guy that's still a bachelor at 35. I know; that doesn't make sense.

This is going to fuck you up. Get this out of your head and work on becoming comfortable in your own skin.

RedSwirl

Shit. Got called for a phone interview out of the blue. Was completely unprepared to answer questions like why I've been out of work for three years.

It was one of those good-looking positions you toss your resume into knowing ain't gonna get any response but it's better than not trying right? Aren't they supposed to schedule interviews? Even phone interviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom