• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Black Culture Thread |OT11| In This Salon, Everyone Gets A Perm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Numb

Still liked Airbender more.
That live action movie of it still remains to this day the only time i walked out on a movie.
What a pile of dogshit.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Given how much I hate my job, I wish this were true. I'll watch it at some point. Maybe after I finish Bloodborne properly.

He was making a Friday reference with those bullets. Which you would have gotten if you had watched the film. Just sayin.

The evil benders dream team was the shit. Korra sucks in everything else

drL7XvS.jpg

Been really busy this week but thank you guys for the warm welcome! Really appreciate it!

I'll start with a story.

So Ive been working for Best Buy and we had a sales induction training this week. So I went on a lunch break with 2 of my coworkers and obviously a race discussion comes up because of course (they are two white boys).

One (I'll refer to them as Kid 1) of them was telling me how his family on his dad's side is really ignorant and uneducated and how he actually feels kind of embarrassed being related to them. It was an interesting viewpoint I never really thought about. He said there is no cultural diversity where they are from so they end up saying some pretty wicked shit.

We started talking about current events and Kid 1 explained that he wished they would postpone the Straight Outta Compton movie. I laughed and asked why he would make such a request and he said that due to current events he thinks it would start rioting and making conditions worse....

I kinda shook my head and told him that there have already been riots since Ferguson and its already been for more noble causes so why would black people riot over a movie? They both started talking about how the Ferguson riots weren't justified and I agree generally but I informed them that A. There were shit starters coming from out of town with that behavior, B. Only a select minority were involved, C. The media wasn't showing the people who were standing in front of stores to stop all that behavior and D. Rioting was one of the only ways to get major coverage to the issue (Riot is the language of the unheard - MLK )

Kid 1 agreed and saw my views but Kid 2 still demeaned the whole thing.

I started talking about civil liberties that they have that I felt I wouldn't have. For ex, Kid 1 talked about being pulled over and the cop freaking out a bit when he told him that he had a firearm in the glove compartment with legal registration. I was telling him that I would guarantee that if I was in the same scenario, the cop wouldn't have let me drive off that say. TBH it is speculation but my intuition knows what my limits are with cops and gun possession gets me some sort of charge or death...

Kid 1 was iffy about the claim, Kid 2 didn't really comment in my memory

Then the discussion went to Mike Brown and Trayvon. Kid 2 felt that Mike Brown shouldn't have died but Trayvon had to. He claimed that Trayvon banging Zimmerman's head was enough proof to warrant Trayvons death. I asked Kid 2 why Trayvon isn't validated in fearing for his life against a stalker? I asked Kid 2 if he would allow a strange individual to stalk him without threat of violence? I asked him why Zimmerman isn't held accountable for his actions since he's an adult and phone operators specifically told him not to engage the altercation.

Kid 2 stuck to his defense. Kid 1 saw my argument and said it was valid.

Kid 2 brought up the classic racism defense arguments, it was so textbook I had to let him know what he was doing,

"Black people had slaves themselves before they were slaves" (A very small minority if any, and the source is what now? Probably some white documentation)

"Black people sold their own people into slavery" (If someone puts a gun to your face and says sell your people or ill kill you, which one are you picking? The ideal answer is death but then A. They take your people anyway and B. They keep asking the next one and the next one till they get the answer they want

"Other countries had forms of slavery before the US, White people were slaves too" (Swiftly brought this one down with a "Cmon son... Was white people lynching white people?")

It just made me so confused. Here are honestly 2 kids I wouldn't view as racist, but just weren't sympathetic to black causes or viewpoints. Kid 1 saw more light than Kid 2 and he comes from a harsher background IMO. It just showed me how the world is operating. There are people who may not necessarily be overtly racist but still cannot side against cruelty to another group of people. It doesn't affect them, it never has affected them. Why should they? The society has always made them feel superior even if a true person of pure heart knows we are all equal at the end of it all.

It goes back to what MLK was saying sooo much.

Its not the racism that kills us, its the indifference to it.

Thanks of the read, long post. Sorry if I brought the mood down, just wanted to post before it left my mind

Kid 1 has potential to get out of the mind trap that institutional and generational racism is. Kid has it so deeply ingrained in him that he doesn't even know it is racism, he's the worst case because those types are the ones to react badly when confronted with opposition to their worldview.

Jacir

Welcome back fam, have a great weekend.

*raises hand* i've got a high pitched voice. :(

*waves* hi Onemic, welcome back.?

Pump up yo chest homie! What's good tho.

All I need is one mic,
One mic, one mic

That Nas song came to mind.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Korra was awful in season 2, but she got better as the show went on.

Also, any of y'all play Call of Duty? I stopped around Modern Warfare 2. Been thinking about maybe getting the Black Ops games if they have a good campaign (don't care about the multiplayer). Thoughts?

Slayven

My problem with the Joker is that sometime in the late 80s, DC decided that he was just a crazy serial killer that can do anything because he was sooooooooooooo crazy.and done little else with him since then.

royalan

GloZell is a silly, silly woman.

But this made me smile today:

isQSLkD.gif
aomyGpd.gif

4rBt1E1.gif
8mOMBqH.gif

Sorry for the 4 gifs, but they're all LQ tumblr gifs...

Hi BCT. This seems like a fun place.

Where you're from - Colorado, USA
Where you live - Missouri, USA
What is your age? - 24 (starting today)
Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - Irish/white, Blackfoot/American Indian
Do you know your roots - Not yet; just that I'm Irish from my Mom's side and Blackfoot on my Dad's side, with some German in there somewhere. I get asked a lot if I'm from India for some reason, or if I am American Indian, even though I think I look more white generally. Reactions based on my answer vary.
Favorite musical genre - Motown/classical
Your profession/major/career interest - Game designer
Your religious affiliation - Agnostic but searching spirituality
Hobbies - Gaming, movies/anime, drawing and painting, comics
KFC, Popeye's, Churches, or Bojangles? - Homemade

Slayven

Your cultural heritage, lineage and genealogy - Irish/white, Blackfoot/American Indian
Do you know your roots - Not yet; just that I'm Irish from my Mom's side and Blackfoot on my Dad's side, with some German in there somewhere. I get asked a lot if I'm from India for some reason, or if I am American Indian, even though I think I look more white generally. Reactions based on my answer vary.

What are your thoughts on Bonecrusher in 2015?

Numb

Welcome and happy birthday young man.
Im just 2 months older than you.

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
This is neither here nor there but it's sad that our generation doesn't have any leaders.

Edit: I know I should be proactive and not wait for next man to help out but thinking about it gives me a weird fear. I know that probably doesn't make sense.

Welcome SF.

What are your thoughts on Bonecrusher in 2015?
I'll let you know when I'm not drunk as fuck (I'm not that drunk). My first thought is that I want Bonecrusher vs. Bonesaw. (I don't know anything about Bonecrusher teach me)

Welcome and happy birthday young man.
Im just 2 months older than you.
Thanks, old man!

Deep fryer or pan-fried?
Pan-fried. In bulk.

Shy

Pump up yo chest homie! What's good tho.
Sup fam. not much, you. ?

Hello and welcome new fam.
Happy birthday, hope you have an awesome birthday weekend.

D i Z

Happy bday!

rude

Banned
Were any of you that black kid that liked anime and hung out with your fellow (white) anime enthusiasts at school? One of those guys just sent a friend request to me on Facebook, and I remember how everyone used to make fun of him.

We're any of you that black kid that liked anime and hung out with your fellow (white) anime enthusiasts at school? One of those guys just sent a friend request to me on Facebook, and I remember how everyone used to make fun of him.

My friends were mostly white dudes, due to the place I lived and the hobbies I had. I got my black friends from track and field or church.

RedSwirl

There is no official way to do it, but usually all interviews should be scheduled in advance. But the company trying to hire you kind of has all the power in that.

As far as that answering the question of why you are out of work for 3 years, you gotta have an answer ready to go. I left a good job for a great job that ended up going belly up after 3 months. So I have had to answer that in every interview since. I failed big time initially, but now I have the answer/reason to satisfy most interviewers.

My answer pretty much amounts to: "Well, I got laid off, and couldn't even get an interview for a while. So I tried freelance contract work, and that's been going glacially for a couple years now."

Kreed

Were any of you that black kid that liked anime and hung out with your fellow (white) anime enthusiasts at school? One of those guys just sent a friend request to me on Facebook, and I remember how everyone used to make fun of him.

I mostly hung out with black kids in grade school with a handful of friends of other ethnicities, and thinking back to grade school when Anime first started getting popular, I don't think I ever encountered a single black male that didn't at least watch Dragon Ball Z.

I mostly hung out with black kids in grade school with a handful of friends of other ethnicities, and thinking back to grade school when Anime first started getting popular, I don't think I ever encountered a single black male that didn't at least watch Dragon Ball Z.

When I worked at GameStop, the biggest DBZ fans were always black dudes.

Numb

I like it how people are always surprised by the amount of black dudes in Smash streams.
I can kinda understand where they are coming from tho if you tune in randomnly into a stream and both the commentators are black also both the players and the 6 dudes behind them too. That's when the chat gets real interesting.

ReiGun

All the kids at my majority black school loved Pokemon, Digimon, and Toonami. And I've already detailed all the times I've gone to gamestop and seen the hardest looking dudes buying Kingdom Hearts and shit.
Yeah, pretty much. At this point it would be sort of weird not to see a black person playing a fighting game, lol.
It's weird when the only players on stream are a tournament are white. Be like "where the fuck are you guys playing at for real?"

Numb

Minorities dominate the fgc. blacks, Hispanics, and Asians.

Yeah, pretty much. At this point it would be sort of weird not to see a black person playing a fighting game, lol.

What about a community that brings in the cash and matters.
Do black guys dominate in those 500k views LoL tournament i saw just recently? Or the MOBAs where millions of dollars are on the line?

Fgc is poverty man.

Do black guys dominate in those 500k views LoL tournament i saw just recently? Or the MOBAs where millions of dollars are on the line?

Fgc is poverty man.

My friend Sky is part of the LoL scene. I swear it always weirds me out to hear people refer to him as a LoL player since he started out in (and still plays) Smash.

Fgc is poverty man.
We're taking over, man. Baseball and hockey will be ours one day too.

Numb

I see 500k watching LoL and i go and watch someone streaming MKX with 2k views and don't even bother to check the LoL one.
Something must be wrong with me.

Jacir

Welcome home. Many newcomers are joining lately. Happy 24! How is Colorado in terms of diversity and the weather?

Welcome home. Many newcomers are joining lately. Happy 24! How is Colorado in terms of diversity and the weather?
It seemed great when I lived in Colorado Springs, but I was a kid. Lots of diversity, when I was there. I remember this one black dude who was deaf and mute who was very kind to me as a kid. All sorts of neat people lived in our apartments. I've only been to Denver since, but I'd love to visit Colorado Springs again. Recently, when I visited Denver, the air seemed clearer there. I felt like Superman when I revisited it. I could breathe there better than anywhere else.

How many post you think you'll make before your eventual perm?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom